Author Topic: NHL'14: Another EA Snub; But Who Cares?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
NHL'14: Another EA Snub; But Who Cares?
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »

I hadn't paid much attention to it but it looks like NHL'14 is not showing up on the WiiU.
Not really a big deal to be made about the bypass but there seems to be a bit of buzz around the "throwback" mode where the controls are simplified and there are some earmarks of NHL'94 floating around.  Here's a kind of telling quote:
What we wanted to do was make our game easy to pick up and play again," without stupefying it or babying gamers. Ramjagsingh said. "So when this mode came together, all this strategy and stuff got tossed out the window, and people started playing it just for the fun factor. It's really a throwback to that old-school gaming experience.
He also states that NHL'94 isn't really as good as everyone remembers it.  While I personally disagree with that statement, EA aught to consider the fact that they, at one time, did make games that would stick with players for 20 years.  It's also a pretty arrogant and dumb thing to say, even just from a PR standpoint, let alone the generally unchallenged claim that it is THE definitive NHL game.  EA put an 'NHL'94 rom on the '06 disc, too.  I know NHL94.com even got mentioned by the RFN crew (though I can't remember who talked about still playing).  EA didn't do a 20 year anniversary for NHL Hockey, so someone must realize that '94 was a particularly good year.  Saying stupid things like that just smacks of bitterness--and really, think anyone is going to give a **** about NHL 2014 in 20 years?

Anyways, shoehorned in fan service that is cordoned off from the main modes doesn't really make me all that  interested in the game.  Maybe when EA realizes that pick-up and play without babying the player and fun shouldn't be "throwback" qualities of their titles, they'll actually make something worth picking up.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: NHL'14: Another EA Snub; But Who Cares?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »
Ummm...isn't this mode in NHL 14 called "anniversary mode"? You know, celebrating the 20 year anniversary of NHL94 coming out?

Also, to be fair, he didn't say NHL94 was a bad game. He was just saying the gameplay wasn't as good to those used to playing the modern versions. The exact quote came from people comparing the NHL94 to NHL06.
"What we learned from that was the nostalgia around NHL '94 was actually picking it up, putting it in, and pulling back on the couch with a friend more than playing it. People didn't really love the overall gameplay, compared to the modern game. It's not as good as we all remember it to be."
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV