Author Topic: This is what's wrong with current day Nintendo.  (Read 24087 times)

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
Re: This is what's wrong with current day Nintendo.
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
I liked F Zero GX.
Having said that, the game wasn't perfect--which is something that could be said about almost all games.  The physics were weird on jumps and collisions--almost as if the cars had no mass/inertia.  The story mode kind of sucked.  The brutal difficulty could be offset by snaking--which kind of ruins the fun of racing since no cpu racer could actually compete with it.

I know it's already been mentioned but I think Nintendo could learn a lot from the Burnout series on how to make a really cool F-Zero GX sequel without having to attempt to reinvent the wheel.  Nintendo saying crap like the need to do something "new" to justify a sequel seems arrogant.  The game was instantly brutal to new players and provided no sustained challenge to anyone that could snake worth a damn--the game is FLAWED and that's WHY it didn't sell.  I'd like to see Nintendo address the glaring mistakes they've made and fix them before deciding that they can't continue a series unless it's "new".

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 05:08:10 PM »
The game did not sell well because it was "flawed", it was due to the difficulty.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 05:38:53 PM »
The game did not sell well because it was "flawed", it was due to the difficulty.
This is a really dumb way to look at both sales and software design. 

The game flopped ergo something was wrong with the game.  What was wrong?  Well the difficulty turned a lot of people away--that seems like a pretty big flaw when your job is to sell games.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
People talk like the only mode GX had was hard mode. I'm far from a staff ghost beating pro at F-Zero, but roughly half of the game's content wasn't that challenging.

Granted, my gaming skills have come a long way since the GCN days, but back in the day I could never get beyond the 3rd story mission in GX (and I barely beat the 2nd after many failed attempts). The game was too damn hard, and it was on the GameCube. That's why it didn't do well.

Not only was it released on the GameCube, it was released a day apart from Soul Calibur featuring realistic Link after everyone felt deprived after Wind Waker. I know I keep repeating myself but I'm going to keep repeating that point until someone remembers and acknowledges it.

I remember.. I walked in to a Software Etc (unless it was already bought out by Gamestop) for my copy of Soul Caliber and thought "oh yeah, F-Zero is out today.." but I went back for it the next week :D
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »
I remember buying Soul Calibur II and having a ton of fun. And by the time I was ready to move on to another game, F-Zero GX had surprisingly already dropped to 19.99. At that point, it was an obvious purchase.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »
I was pissed off by the price drop actually, I had JUST bought the game for $50 about a week before the price drop.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »
Here F-Zero GX came out the week before Mario Kart Double Dash.

Ridiculous timing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »
F-Zero GX was a game I really wanted to like and did but, it crashed my Gamecube before I could ever finish a whole series.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
GX is my favourite of all the F-Zero games. I definitely want to see a new HD one. I don't care if it does anything new with the series or not, I just want a new F-Zero.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 11:27:37 AM »
At this point, Nintendo should just revamp the menu to F-Zero GX to open access to all the hidden AX stuff that was found to be included in the game and release it as a digital download.

F-Zero GAX Edition.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
At this point, Nintendo should just revamp the menu to F-Zero GX to open access to all the hidden AX stuff that was found to be included in the game and release it as a digital download.

F-Zero GAX Edition.

I could see an eShop release of F-Zero GX with something like that, either as standalone eShop games or an enhanced Virtual Console release. You have to imagine GameCube games are coming to Wii U at some point (unless Nintendo's holding them for 3DS remakes).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
A 3DS F-Zero would be nice.  I think 3D does help with the sense of speed for Racers.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »
You have to imagine GameCube games are coming to Wii U at some point (unless Nintendo's holding them for 3DS remakes).

It was confirmed long ago that they will come to Wii U, we just don't know when they will.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
I'm not sure if we'll be seeing GX on the Wii U eShop, mainly due to the lack of varied shoulder button input on the tablet controller. It's a minor issue, sure, but it just won't be the same experience.

Offline Lin1876

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
I'm not sure if we'll be seeing GX on the Wii U eShop, mainly due to the lack of varied shoulder button input on the tablet controller. It's a minor issue, sure, but it just won't be the same experience.

I was thinking that when playing Mario Sunshine recently, a game which depends on the GameCube's hybrid triggers. The lack of analogue triggers on the Wii U is baffling, and I reckon it could make many GameCube games impossible to implement properly.

On that note, actually, I think the triggers issue is symptomatic of what is wrong with Nintendo right now. Specifically, they seem to exist in isolation to a fault. This has the benefit of allowing them to pursue their own developments like the Wii Remote and the GamePad, but it also means they ignore plain good ideas, like proper analogue triggers and a unified account system (both things which gamers take for granted these days).

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2013, 01:14:56 PM »
They don't have to create BC, you know. Gamers aren't entitled to getting Gamecube BC whatsoever.

Offline excalinator

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
I think there's nothing wrong with Nintendo to begin with. You should know that Microsoft and Sony are way bigger companies, with diversified activities.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
Kid Icarus was a dead series and Nintendo marketed the **** out of that game and it sold well over a million plus units world wide. If Nintendo gave Metroid, F-Zero, and Star Fox to group of competent developers (Retro, Monster, Next Level, Platinum, etc) then there is not doubt that those games could sell as well as Kid ICarus did for the 3DS. Personally, I am tired of the same old Mario game being made every year, I want Nintendo to bring back their B-List games.
except it was technically Sakurai(who is no longer part of Nintendo although he still works with them heavily) who pushed for Kid Icarus... Nintendo said they wanted him to make something they wouldn't do and Sakurai said I want to do a new Kid Icarus and nintendo provided funding (along with some legal type aid on the Kid Icarus license)

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
F Zero GX bombed due to Nintendo's great idea of releasing all their racing games (Kirby's Air ride, Double Dash and F Zero GX) within 6 months of each other. Imagine if Nintendo bought Rare, we probably would have seen Donkey Kong Racing in that same period as well.
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »
So with the Wii U going into Panic mode I wonder if were going to see Intelligent Systems develop more games for the system.

They have become Portable centric as of late when you look at their out put.

Wii U
Game and Wario
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

3DS
Paper Mario
Fire Emblem awakening
Pushmo
Crashmo

The studio has seemed to have already hit up their main franchises between the two consoles with the exception of the Wars Series. I think it may be too early for a new Fire Emblem game (well a tradional one at least). So a Wii U wars game would be pretty fun espically if they bring back the music and art direction of Days of Ruin.

Only problem would it be a TBS game or more like the Gamecube Wars Games.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2013, 10:17:29 PM »
So with the Wii U going into Panic mode I wonder if were going to see Intelligent Systems develop more games for the system.

They have become Portable centric as of late when you look at their out put.

Wii U
Game and Wario
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

3DS
Paper Mario
Fire Emblem awakening
Pushmo
Crashmo

The studio has seemed to have already hit up their main franchises between the two consoles with the exception of the Wars Series. I think it may be too early for a new Fire Emblem game (well a tradional one at least). So a Wii U wars game would be pretty fun espically if they bring back the music and art direction of Days of Ruin.

Only problem would it be a TBS game or more like the Gamecube Wars Games.

It would be cool if Intelligent Systems collaborated with Fireaxis to make a Wii U version of Advanced Wars.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
I'm constantly amazed how prolific this studio is.

They can push out two major releases in year with two digital releases on eShop and still stay a big developer farm for main Nintendo studios.

I am missing all of their last releases (maybe i'll buy Crashmo someday), but even then i know they did a lot of work lately.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
Kid Icarus was a dead series and Nintendo marketed the **** out of that game and it sold well over a million plus units world wide. If Nintendo gave Metroid, F-Zero, and Star Fox to group of competent developers (Retro, Monster, Next Level, Platinum, etc) then there is not doubt that those games could sell as well as Kid ICarus did for the 3DS. Personally, I am tired of the same old Mario game being made every year, I want Nintendo to bring back their B-List games.
except it was technically Sakurai(who is no longer part of Nintendo although he still works with them heavily) who pushed for Kid Icarus... Nintendo said they wanted him to make something they wouldn't do and Sakurai said I want to do a new Kid Icarus and nintendo provided funding (along with some legal type aid on the Kid Icarus license)

What is to stop Nintendo from approaching their western partners in the same manner and giving them the keys to their dormant franchises?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
Because they say they don't like the results from loaning out their licences of late usch as Star Fox Assault and want to do it all inhouse now.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
I liked F Zero GX.
Having said that, the game wasn't perfect--which is something that could be said about almost all games.  The physics were weird on jumps and collisions--almost as if the cars had no mass/inertia.  The story mode kind of sucked.  The brutal difficulty could be offset by snaking--which kind of ruins the fun of racing since no cpu racer could actually compete with it.

I know it's already been mentioned but I think Nintendo could learn a lot from the Burnout series on how to make a really cool F-Zero GX sequel without having to attempt to reinvent the wheel.  Nintendo saying crap like the need to do something "new" to justify a sequel seems arrogant.  The game was instantly brutal to new players and provided no sustained challenge to anyone that could snake worth a damn--the game is FLAWED and that's WHY it didn't sell.  I'd like to see Nintendo address the glaring mistakes they've made and fix them before deciding that they can't continue a series unless it's "new".

I don't know how to snake. I suppose there might be some kind of video's for it on Youtube but I never looked it up. I always believe that a game is made so that you can beat it without having to take advantage of some kind of glitch or cheat. So, I beat F-Zero GX without snaking.

I beat the story mode and all its chapters on highest difficulty. I beat all cups on the highest difficulty. I used every racer and won a cup on the highest difficulty with them unlocking their driver video. I unlocked everything except for the three vehicle pieces you had to get by putting your memory card in some arcade version of the game. I beat the staff ghost on about half the time trials although it is said that some staff ghosts actually snake so I don't know if I could have ever beat them. I played this game for months.

Yeah, the difficulty could be brutal at times but man, when you succeeded at something and overcame, it always felt so fist pump worthy. And the game just seemed to keep giving you so many challenges. Always wanted to hear every racers response to every question that is asked at the end of winning a Grand Prix but that was one thing I never did accomplish either. I loved the little extras like that.

Great thing was that as you kept getting better and better at the game, things that were difficult at first could be beat with relative ease later. There was a definite skill to learn in this game. Such a great experience. I'd never played an F-Zero game before this one so I was a new player but I wasn't deterred by the difficulty. The game was still enjoyable enough and I could see myself making progress that I had no problem sticking it out and learning it.

The biggest problem from the difficulty for me is that it was impossible to have any decent multiplayer with anyone. I was around the intermediate stage and had some skill but still had much to do to master the game. But I was loving it and wanted to promote it to all my friends and would bring it over but I could smoke them too easy at the game since they hadn't put it in the time I had. Then I played one kid about 11 years old who did own the game and had unlocked the AX cup and was disappointed I hadn't done so yet. And he smoked me consistently since he was far more skilled at it than I was at that point. That was a frustrating experience. Later, after I had mastered the game, I always craved a rematch but never saw him again. But that was the biggest problem for me. If they can find a way to keep the difficulty and open up the multiplayer aspect, it might help the franchise really take off. As of right now, it is really a single player only experience.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.