Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 692478 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »
According to my Wii U's Activity Log I've now spent over 100 hours with FIFA 13. I really am disappointed that the game won't be hitting the Wii U this year, as I think it's one of the best uses of the GamePad I've seen. I may end up holding off on this year's version and instead sink more time into my career mode file in this one. I need to get my beloved Sounders into the Premier League and win the Champion's League with them, and that's likely to take a while.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »
Picked up Dragon Quest V on DS, and can't put it down yet. The series is unabashedly old-school, but has always been right up my alley. This game in particular has done a great job of throwing you into multiple bite-sized adventures early on - so you play for a half-hour or so and feel like you've actually accomplished something. It's really a nice way to get your into the game and very different from other RPGs I've been playing recently where the main quest is so overwhelmingly large that you feel like you are just treading water for the first 20 hours.
NNID: ejamer

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »
I tried to get back into Crysis 3 the other day, hoping to clear some of my backlog, but that game is the definition of generic shooter to me.  Absolutely gorgeous but devoid of fun.

I've finally managed to get my wheel settings locked in to where I'm comfortable playing F1 2012 on my PC.  I've read a lot of sim-enthusiasts aren't too keen on this license in Codemasters's hands, but I'm really enjoying the game.  Also, playing around with rFactor 2, which is an odd experience.  The game is a hardcore sim-racer that is currently in an incomplete form.  I've been having some fun tracking down tracks and cars to add to the experience, and so far, driving into walls has never been more fun!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:36 PM »
Would skip over DMC HD collection and just start with 4.  DMC 4 demo really doesn't do the game justice, the actual game has some nice combat moves/weapon switching and two different playable characters with their own style.

Really depends on the gamer though, some fans found DMC4 to easy though compared to other entries in the game.  If you're looking for a challenging game then I would go with DMC (the orginal not the reboot) or the Ninja Gaiden series.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »
Bayonetta

Finished it on Normal.

Epilogue was just amazing. It felt like a long tv series and in the finale they just went all in with all characters marching in a grand city-wide parade with confetti and all cast walking past you and waving at the crowds (me).

The entire time feeling was like: "hey! remember me, it's me mook #132!? Remember how you killed me? These were fun times, huh? And me, mini-boss #34! And me! And me!".

The game had like five or so endings, it was like Lord of the Rings only you didn't want to go to the bathroom.

Two credits sequences (both playable), two dance ending numbers and a motherload of unlocked content including humongous, wallpaper featuring everyone in the game (also adding to the feeling of the game saying you goodbye), music, 3d models, art gallery and hard mode.

The game deifnitely has some problems, bike and starfox levels were way too long considering how shallow and unrewarding both of them were. Some of the QTEs in the beginning (level 3 particularly) are placed so badly and are so harsh it might kill any desire to continue. But overall the game feels like it gets better as the it progresses. In the beginning you will have boss reused four times, some dodgy cutscenes and safe environments but by the end it gets so much better with everything.

Absolutely crazy designs are definitely the game's main achievement. Bosses, some levels, demons, even regular mooks look otherworldly and very original.

Such an amazing game. Will keep playing it on hard and will try to get all golden statues. I tried first level on hard and felt like it was doable.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2013, 12:38:52 AM »
I checked it out yesterday. My impression:

Based from impressions online i thought i'd see more than just a fan-made level pack. Stupid me.
Played a bit further. It definitely improves.

The final castle in the first world was actually brilliant. One level right before it had a pretty smart alternate exit placement which led to global yellow switch.

Apparently coloured switches unlock some Mario trivia at Yoshi's house. Not super substantial but okay. Though i vaguely remember yellow switch blocks appearing in regular level as well...

Music is generic in a elevator jingle sense, but that's what NSMB games' music is about so it's okay.

After beating first world, i'm again at Desert world, where as always in 2d Mario games i just lose the will to progress. Level design also crashes down to the same fanmod pack levels it had before.

I guess they only had one talented level designer and he only did castles and later levels in all the worlds.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2013, 12:34:25 AM »
Assasin Creed: Brotherhood
Near the end.
Full synchronization feels like it was made to force you to play missions at least twice. Still getting those meaningless 100% and completing all random quests is probably my favorite part of the game so i don't mind much.

Economics system is kinda wonky and confusing but workable. Shop quests add another level to overall already super collectathon-ish nature of the game.

Assassin's contract management is actually pretty fun. I find myself spending too much time there.

After the ending i will still have:
  • to complete romulus lairs (love PoP-style platforming, that enormous labyrinth level though... and you have to make it in 8 minutes too...),
  • get all feathers (just three left, at least there are only ten of those),
  • will ignore borgia flags, because no way i'm roaming around just to collect 60+ i have left,
  • definitely will upgrade all the buildings (almost done just 1-2 left of each type), not sure if i will get all landmarks cause they're pricey and i'm not getting enough money (and it doesn't even look like it's worth it anyway, i bought Coliseum and it's giving measly 40 florins, why bother),
  • will definitely try to get all portraits.
  • oh yeah and those Truth puzzles (not enjoying them as much as in ACII, those decrypting puzzles with weird symbols got too confusing)
  • might try to get at least some Guild mission challenges, i've already almost filled Assasin's Guild one

Also, Ubisoft's achievements are kinda stupid. The have a separate achievement for every sequence and every Romulus lair you do. It's like "You've completed World 1! Here is your achievement!", "You've completed World 2! Here is your achievement!". What's the point of achievements if you're hitting them just going by the storyline?

Super Meat Boy
After completing the game earlier this year, i was just playing randomly beating a level or two. I got achievement for beating first world without dying. Funnily i did it without knowing, because apparently you don't have to beat final boss level in world 1. So i have wasted about three hours trying to beat all levels AND boss level trying to get achievement i already had. Ah well.
Got through seven or so of Cotton Alley levels. Absolutely sadistic stuff.
Spent an hour or so trying to get all bandages on first world. Got two bandages i missed in dark world. Still have two bandages missing...

Milon's Secret Castle
Got to third floor today. Then i got the air balloon ship and died. Still not sure how to continue in this game. Will resume from save i made after getting to third floor.
I watched Game Center CX coverage of this game but apparently i forgot everything.
It's pretty tough, but i still enjoy the basic gameplay enough to put up with all bullshit game does.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2013, 11:02:23 PM »
I finally tried Shinobi 3DS. Yikes! The game is obscenely hard (par for the course for this series) though Easy mode gives you infinite lives. I'm probably not going to finish it. In fact, I may trade it in this weekend.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2013, 11:59:21 AM »
I'm playing EarthBound for the first time. It's fun but really frustrating at times. I reconfigured my control schemes to be more like Mother 3, so opening and navigating menus would be less tedious.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
Damn... Bit.Trip Runner is absolutely kicking my ass.  I hate rhythm/timing-based games.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2013, 02:04:48 PM »
Then don't play it.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Assasin Creed: Brotherhood
Near the end.
Full synchronization feels like it was made to force you to play missions at least twice. Still getting those meaningless 100% and completing all random quests is probably my favorite part of the game so i don't mind much.

Economics system is kinda wonky and confusing but workable. Shop quests add another level to overall already super collectathon-ish nature of the game.

Assassin's contract management is actually pretty fun. I find myself spending too much time there.

After the ending i will still have:
  • to complete romulus lairs (love PoP-style platforming, that enormous labyrinth level though... and you have to make it in 8 minutes too...),
  • get all feathers (just three left, at least there are only ten of those),
  • will ignore borgia flags, because no way i'm roaming around just to collect 60+ i have left,
  • definitely will upgrade all the buildings (almost done just 1-2 left of each type), not sure if i will get all landmarks cause they're pricey and i'm not getting enough money (and it doesn't even look like it's worth it anyway, i bought Coliseum and it's giving measly 40 florins, why bother),
  • will definitely try to get all portraits.
  • oh yeah and those Truth puzzles (not enjoying them as much as in ACII, those decrypting puzzles with weird symbols got too confusing)
  • might try to get at least some Guild mission challenges, i've already almost filled Assasin's Guild on

Enjoy the rest of the last (and only) good Assassin's Creed game.

As for me, I started playing through The Last of Us, taking death turns with my brother. Quite stunning at first, and the first few infected encounters are harrowing, but now I'm about 4 hours in and pretty damned bored. Game design is dull, and the enemies stop being intimidating after you feel out the limits of the AI.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
I've been playing a lot of smaller stuff on my Vita lately.

First, Kung Fu Rabbit, a 2D platformer with shades of Super Meat Boy that's also available on Wii U. It takes a little while to get challenging, but once you get toward the end in world 1 it starts getting hard.

Another Vita game I've been playing a lot of is Velocity Ultra. It's sort of a shooter, even though there are levels without any enemies in them. Your ship has the ability to teleport, which is necessary to get through the obstacle-laden levels as you rescue survivors of an attack. This is now one of my favorite games on the system.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Then don't play it.

And where's the (masochistic) fun in that?

Finally got to the first boss.  The final stage of the first world took way longer than it should've.  Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of having the boss introduce new attacks close to the end that require luck or trial-and-error to get past, but at least it's quick to get back into the fray.  Not like 1-11 where every failure close to the end of the stage would require a full restart - ugh.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »
Enjoy the rest of the last (and only) good Assassin's Creed game.
Nah, i loved all games so far in the series.

I like roaming cities and platforming challenges in these games too much to be turned off from the series.

I played an hour of that seemingly final sequence. It's a bunch of missions where i have to use Apple of Eden as a weapon. So terrible. Nothing is explained and they don't allow to use anything else but the Apple. Can't use my sword, can't use my dagger, can't use my crossbow, can't call for other assasins.

It would have been fine if using apple was at least fun enough by itself, but no its' mechanic is just so super clunky and stupid.

And you can't even do other stuff in the city while during this sequence, like actually enjoying the game by doing side story stuff. No, they put me in a tunnel which only goes one way and only gave me a crappy apple to work with.

Ah well. The end is near.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
I played Steam demo a bit. It looks great, very good UI. Actual battle system is decent enough, but the battles get a tad too drawn out. I got out of the village to the horse riding segment and that's where i lost interest.

Still looks like a good game. Might get it sometime in the future.

Bayo
Still trying to get those platinum statues. Still trying to just get through Vestibule (first level) on Hard. Second segment in Vestibule on hard is very different because you only have lightning claw monsters that you're supposed to finish off with torture attacks and they are THE toughest individual mooks in entire game and are impossible to pull long combos on (which you need to get enough magic points for Torture Attack).

I think you're supposed to use Dodge offset a lot but i still can't execute it reliably. It almost feels like Alfheim challenge where they teach you basic mechanics by putting in a position where you can win only by using it a lot and mastering it.

Speaking of. Alfheim challenges where you have limited punches and kicks are the worst. I think this one requires specific combinations of weapons and unlocks and i don't like when game forces me to play with different weapon/loadout/power-up.

I tried out ice skates and magical whip and they're neat but both have their downsides. Ice skates well, you're on ice all the time, kinda hard to control (at least you look FABULOUS while fighting). Whip is slower than regular fists but allows to pull enemies toward you.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:56:03 PM by azeke »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2013, 04:24:30 AM »
A few thoughts after some Kid Icarus session on my break:

They really should have done something about 3d platforming. It's dodgy enough when you're just trying to to stay on a platform, but then there are enemies shooting at you while you can't even dodge cause you will fall off.

They should have learned a thing or two from Bayo where Kamiya made it impossible to fall from platforms during dodges.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »
Finally got around to playing the campaign of Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm.  I'm basically having the same problem I've always had with the series.  It's fun enough I guess, but I kist don't really care for playing as the Zerg.  I knew that buying a whole expansion that centered around them wouldn't be fun for me, but I was a sucker and bought it, anyway.   
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
I got crackdown for free on GFG so i'm replaying that.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »
I got crackdown for free on GFG so i'm replaying that.

What's GFG?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
Games for Gold. The xbox live version of PS+'s instant game collection.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »
GFG is nowhere near on the same level of selection as PS+. Don't put them I'm the same league.

This is the point where TJ Spyke runs in and argues the fact that you can't keep the dozens of games a year you get from PlayStation Plus completely nullifies its existence.

J.P. Corbran

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 01:27:55 AM »
Hydroventure (Fluidity) on 3DS
I kinda stopped playing the game week after i got it, which i think is because when they removed metroidvania structure they also lost my long lasting interest. When playing La-Mulana and Toki Tori 2 i always kept wondering "what is there behind that rock wall? or how should get on that island, maybe i should go around it?" when i wasn't playing during the day even when i was working. That was why i basically played these games every night of every weekday until i beaten them.

3DS game lost me in the middle of Fairy tale book (second world after Dinosaur book).

It's still a great game and they added a bit more character to the art compared to first one which was dry on purpose, first game was supposed to be a schoolbook or something after all.

I can understand that they wanted make the game conform "handheld game rules" where you're not supposed to commit more than a few minutes at a time to the game, but then some of the levels get pretty elaborate and will definitely take you more than five minutes to beat like Diamond Mine level yesterday. It had at least five-seven operations you had to do in specific order and that's not counting collectible stuff on the side.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Just grabbed a few minutes in the morning before going to work. Just replaying some levels to fill achievement wall. Fused some weapons to get rid of duplicates in my weapons list. I've been playing this game on and off for more than a year, and just this morning i discovered you can actually buy new weapons. They have "First Blade" with absolutely ridiculous OP stats. It costs 145 000 hears though, and i only have 14 000 at the moment. I wonder if i will be able to use it in multiplayer matches.

Also looking up on the internet just now i discovered that the game has hidden options menu. Neat.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
I think I'm going to go back to BioShock Infinite on PS3. I only played it once, for about two or three hours. Then The Last of Us was available at the library, and that put the kibosh to that.

I'm also wanting to continue Ys Seven, Project X Zone and as always, Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline jvgsjeff

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • JVGS
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
I'm playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and I'm replaying Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »
GFG is nowhere near on the same level of selection as PS+. Don't put them I'm the same league.

This is the point where TJ Spyke runs in and argues the fact that you can't keep the dozens of games a year you get from PlayStation Plus completely nullifies its existence.
when you reveal your service by announcing that the first two free games are ones that have had at least 3 sequels each there really isn't much contest.