Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509382 times)

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »
Super Mario Land:
It's very short but it's challenging enough so you won't blast through it in one go. That and bad physics.

Nice tunes. Decent variety with completely new world.

Didn't expect final boss to appear right there after i defeated fourth boss. I thought i will just move to next world but nope. Took me by surprise. Killed him with just one heart left.

Looking forward to playing second game. I tried it before but never started it properly. From what little i saw it was a much better game in graphics, controls and content.

Link's Awakening:
I guess i'm on a gameboy roll. Finally finished it. More than two years after i started it.

That trade sequence was usual Zelda bullshit. Hate that crap. How was i supposed to know that i need to go under the bridge to finish sequence and get looking glass? People call Zelda 1 impenetrable but for me it's the other way around: it's the only Zelda game where i didn't need to use guide to look up for some BS puzzle.

Last boss had surprisingly many forms. And in general this game feels very full and complete for GameBoy game. Controlling the game with just two buttons is kind of a hassle but understandable. What is not justifiable is how text messages appear when you just touch stuff (like stones). It's just annoying.

At least the music was still great (one of the two things i like about the series).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »
Kirby Mass Attack (DS) - Some neat moments. Low challenge level should be expected, but there are plenty of hidden medals to find and extra challenges to complete if you are so inclined. Also worth noting there are a nice batch of mini-games - another Kirby staple it seems. Not sure what to think about this one... not really interesting enough to recommend for most gamers but nothing "wrong" with the experience.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:59:06 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
Batman Arkham Origins

Not as good as the first Arkham Asylum, about on par with Arkham City but for different reasons.

The story and pacing (at least for the first 3/4 of the game) is more even paced and interesting than City, and the additions to combat and stealth arenas are appreciated. The biggest problem with the game is the lack of variety in missions. You get new side quests as the story progress, but almost everyone boils down to jumping into a group of thugs and beating them up. It gets tedious towards the end of the game, maybe I should have stuck more to the story.

The combat also needs some polish as counter are a little spotty and sometimes so is the camera.

Give Batman's batarangs more power, and his stunning arsenal a longer time. Make the thug circles areas larger and with some height differential. Give us more variety in the stealth arenas.

The problems with game seem to be issues facing the series as it moves forward. It's went in a open-world direction, but that is the part that works the least. The city is empty except for thugs, and they get more and meaner as the game progresses. You will be going around looking for Enigma data packs and the rooftop you land on suddenly has six armed thugs that you have to beat down before proceeding.

I think the series needs to emulate Hitman or Splinter Cell more than Assassin's Creed or inFamous.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2013, 04:02:21 PM »
Totally agree on Arkham Origins.  I think that's why so many people view Asylum as the best.  I think if they find a way to expand on the investigation-mode stuff, both in terms of increased interactivity, and just more in general, they could be well on their way to something really great.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2013, 01:56:41 AM »
You could replace Origins to Asylum in ShyGuy's impressions and that would easily be mine impressions and complaints  (still have to start City properly).

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
I beat Hotline Miami.  My thoughts haven't changed from the "What are you playing" thread, but I just wanted to mention that I still have no comprehension of what is happening story-wise. 

I can't tell if they were being purposefully vague to leave the story ambiguous, or if it's more a matter of the indie tradition of making an "loldeep" story of some sort.

That being said, I haven't been that entranced with a game in a while, and wholeheartedly suggest anyone try it out if they get the opportunity.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
Super Mario 3D World
I completed the first eight worlds with all stamps and green stars so far. Technically, I beat the game. There's at least one more because I'm three stages into it. I unlocked the fifth playable character, but have not used said character yet. All in all, Super Mario 3D World is excellent. The game doesn't have the impact that 3D Land had, but it does just about everything better. I hope Nintendo moves on from it for now and tries something else with Mario lest the formula wear thin. Still, Super Mario 3D World is probably my favorite Wii U game out though there isn't much competition in that regard.

I plan on collecting the rest of the things and finishing the remain worlds (based on the stamps, there isn't much left) . However, I will probably start a different game (e.g. The Last of Us) or go back to one I never finished (e.g. Tomb Raider, The Wonderful 101).

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
Time Hollow (DS)

Closer to a visual novel than a game. Puzzles generally require very little thought or effort and you can't really deviate from the expected story. Speaking of which, the story was... kind of disappointing. The twists never really blew my mind and it felt like you were running in circles a lot of time. However, seeing it through to the end did hold my interest.

Overall I'm happy with the experience but couldn't really recommend others go out of their way to track it down. Stick with 999 or Hotel Dusk if you want a similar but better experience, in my opinion.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2013, 03:58:27 AM »
Enough Plumbers 2:

Ending boss was a tad easier than in first one. The ending screen was all kinds of awesome though. If you don't plan to play the game yourself, i highly recommend to look at it in all it's glory. Miyamoto's hanging skeleton was probably critique at Nintendo.

Last four or so levels were very hard. They were very long and pretty hard to do, especially with game's wonky hitboxes.

If you liked Double Cherry power-up in 3D World you should check out both these games. They're free anyway.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
This is the first time I've completed the DX version and not much has changed from what I remember though I forgot most of this game. The extra dungeon is nothing to write home about, but the effort is noted (still makes me wish they went the extra mile for The Wind Waker HD). As far as Link's Awakening goes, it's still good. I have three heart pieces left and I have no idea where they are. I don't think I'll go back for them.

The revamped special ending (completing the game without dying) is a little clearer on Marin's fate (In the original, Marin flies across the Game Over screen with wings, whatever that means) though the ending itself is surprisingly depressing for a Zelda game. No spoiler tags ahead because this game is forever years old and the statute of limitations for spoilers has since expired. Sure, Marin (supposedly) turns into a seagull like she wished and can fly off wherever she pleases, but she's a seagull and everyone she has ever known ceases to exist. On top of that, Link is stranded in the middle of the ocean with no food or supplies (same as the original).
That trade sequence was usual Zelda bullshit. Hate that crap. How was i supposed to know that i need to go under the bridge to finish sequence and get looking glass? People call Zelda 1 impenetrable but for me it's the other way around: it's the only Zelda game where i didn't need to use guide to look up for some BS puzzle.
The Owl in the screen right above the bridge hints that there's a secret under a bridge, of which there are two such bridges over water in the game. This may be a throwback to A Link to the Past where you get one of the bottles from a hobo camping under one of the bridges. As you probably know by now, the trade sequence does ultimately net you the optional boomerang which is fiendishly over-powered.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:10 AM »
Harmonknight
I beat it last Night so my list wouldn't be so pathetic.  I think the game could be a little more forgiving on the hits.  Have a better variety of Songs.  Have levels where you could pick the character.  Its an ok rhythm game.

LoZ:  A Link Between Worlds
If you enjoyed the original LoZ and the ones similar you'll like this game.  It does point out that some weapons need either enhanced or trimmed, boomerang.  I like the compact design and I always felt like I was doing something right to the end.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
Orion's Odyssey (DSiWare)

The game is pretty  much exactly what I expected: a cute, kiddie story used to present a bunch of tangram puzzles. There are a couple of additional modes that can help ramp up the challenge and a point system that allows you to earn currency to unlock bonus items from the in-game "store".

I had kickstarted the game because it sounded like a nice option for our kids (not yet... but when they get just a little bit older) and was a cute idea. Not sure I would outright recommend it to gamers, but it fully lives up to my expectations for a $5 DSiWare title. If you ever remember playing with tangrams as a child maybe you'd enjoy it.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
Uncharted 2:

Hated this game. The shooting gameplay just got duller and duller as they upped the enemy counts and introduced goofy bullet sponges. Story was atrocious, can't believe this got praised so much for being an interactive action movie. The Prince of Persia-lite stuff was sloppy and stiff, and the setpieces were so ludicrous that I couldn't even enjoy them as over-the-top spectacle. I thought Last of Us was substantially overrated, but it looks like a gem next to this game. At this rate, Naughty Dog might make an actually good game in five years.

Dead Space 3:
Good lord is this game too long. I can't believe I'm complaining about the campaign of an action game being too long, but here we are. The initial portion in the haunted armada was fairly ho-hum stuff, but it looks much better in retrospect compared to the ice planet. The problem with this game is not so much the co-op focus, though that ends up being an obvious problem, as it is that they tried to convert this franchise into a Borderlands-style loot game. All of the optional missions are just loot raids. Which stops being satisfying at all once you upgrade the useful parts of your Rig and make a mega plasma cutter about halfway through the game. Seriously, if you play this game, don't bother with the optional stuff, it just adds 3-4 hours to the game of completely generic gameplay for unnecessary components. Plus the mainline game will at least be a bit more challenging this way.

Overall this game felt so lazy and rote that it almost seemed like the team was pissed off at what they were being forced to do with the franchise. It's also glitchy as hell, and compensates for it's bad design by having ammo, health, and resource drops off of every single enemy, at least on default difficulty. Even if you're curious about this game, I would just read a plot description and leave it at that (spoiler: it's really stupid). Blegh.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Great game, although a few of the boss battlers were disappointing.  Loved the constant variety and most of the creative levels.  Currently sitting at about 110 stars collected, and have just started the first bit of post-game content - expecting to play for another day or two before reaching 120, not sure how much further I'll continue playing (for now) after that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »
The Owl in the screen right above the bridge hints that there's a secret under a bridge, of which there are two such bridges over water in the game.

Also, if you clear out the fisherman's lake in Mabe Village, he mentions something about trying your luck at the sea.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
The Owl in the screen right above the bridge hints that there's a secret under a bridge
I probably read that hint months if not years ago.

This may be a throwback to A Link to the Past...
That i didn't play.

As you probably know by now, the trade sequence does ultimately net you the optional boomerang which is fiendishly over-powered.
I only looked up in the wiki that i need looking glass to progress and didn't care enough to do any more additional steps.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »
DuckTales: Remastered (Wii U)

Enjoyed the game. It was (in easy mode) much easier than I remembered, but I'm guessing that harder difficulties would fix that very quickly. Found it disappointing that in a fully voiced game there was no mouth movement for the sprites - something I could probably overlook in 8-bit days.  Also should note that I found the final "escape" sequence pretty annoying. Not sure if it was control issues or my issues though.

Some people complained about obtuse level design due to hidden passages, but they must really come from a different era of gaming. In my mind, if there is one part of the level that has noticeably different visual appearance than all other areas, or an odd/unexpected piece of stage design, then players should wonder why and check it out. In almost all cases of hidden passages or secret items, there were clear hints about where the player should go.

Some people also complained about the cutscenes that were added... but I think they were a good addition. Yes, they tended to be too long but brought the game together (nobody reads manuals anymore) and gave the game a nice shot of nostalgia for anyone who watched the old cartoon.  (Plus they are easy to skip anyway, so there really isn't much reason to complain.)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »
The Owl in the screen right above the bridge hints that there's a secret under a bridge
I probably read that hint months if not years ago.
You asked how you were supposed to know you had to look under the bridge. Well, the game tells you. Post-NES, Nintendo has been pretty good about telling players how to progress. There's always a hint somewhere. The proximity of the hint to what it's hinting at is literally one screen (though you have to walk around to get in the water). Not to sound insensitive, but it's not the game's fault you didn't mind your surroundings. Granted, I'm not terribly fond of the trade sequences in Zelda games, but I didn't find this one especially difficult or unfair.

To be clear, I'm not making fun of you as I have a very embarrassing Link's Awakening story myself. Back in the day, I put the game down for like eight months because I couldn't beat the final boss. I had no idea you could you jump over his arms and the thought never even crossed my mind. I eventually beat him by walking back and forth across the bottom of the screen. I had half a heart left after using the medicine. About a year later, a classmate in high school told me how to actually beat Dethl. If I had the Internet back then, I would have saved myself a lot of cursing.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 08:26:03 AM by Adrock »

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
I had no idea you could you jump over his arms and the thought never even crossed my mind.

Sigh.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2013, 11:10:03 PM »
>snip<
Shadowrun Returns

It feels more like a game engine than an actual game. All the mechanics are there, it's just that they needed a more talented campaign designer/writer. 95% of the game feels too easy until you hit the last fight like a brick wall.  The level design felt more like I was playing a DnD adventure in scale instead of some far more grand. The lack of loot drops mean all items upgrades are done in the shop and they lack meaning and fullness as the delta between weapons are too small.

But the true saving grace is the Steam Workshop where you can effectively find unlimited content to play to the heat death of the universe. With this in mind, the packaged campaign becomes more of an introduction into Shadowrun. If you can buy it cheaply like now, go nuts.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:07:46 AM by UncleBob »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2013, 01:15:38 AM »
>snip<
Games!

Guacamelee:
The art style of the game and its attitude kind of wore thin part way through, and there were a few BS secrets. I was also irked that an area of the game is roped-off DLC from the beginning, takes some of the jazz off a Metroid-style game. Still, there are some good platforming challenges throughout, and some of the boss fights were quite good, even if the final boss was a bit of a fizzle. I wish 100%-ing it had some effect other than a slightly different cutscene. I got it on sale on PSN, and would've been somewhat displeased if I had paid full price. I guess Super Meat Boy spoiled me on indie game value.

Heavy Rain:
I was impressed that you're allowed to actually screw up the story majorly and never resolve anything. I did my first playthrough as poorly as possible to see if it would change anything, and it kind of does! You can cut off about 1/3rd of the game by letting characters die/get arrested and get an unintentionally hilarious David Lynch ending. I played through it again trying to do everything right and got the ideal outcome, but I wish I had just let it lie. Also, terrible game, script and controls were awful. There was one sequence where you're trying to escape the cops while helping a wounded person hobble along, and I had to restart it 7-8 times because I couldn't walk around three stationary cars in a row without running out of time. Worth trying if you're interested in incorrect evolutionary paths in the video game family tree.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:08:12 AM by UncleBob »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2013, 11:27:51 AM »
Tearaway
I actually beat this a week or so ago but I was holding off for the NFR GotY Show.  Its a good game as a package.  Any individual part wouldn't hold up alone.  The story is good and the whole papercraft conceit is really followed through for the whole game.  It has a charm to it but it really is an easy platformer.  I think its a good length.  In fact it could have been just a tad shorter for me.  I got it for $20 from Amazon and I feel like I got a good deal. 

Easily the Media Molecule game I've enjoyed the most.  Though for a game with customizing the story to you it really doesn't have any true re-playability except as comfort food.  Good game worth playing for anyone with a Vita.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2013, 08:37:05 AM »
To be clear, I'm not making fun of you as I have a very embarrassing Link's Awakening story myself. Back in the day, I put the game down for like eight months because I couldn't beat the final boss.

Funny.  I have a similar Link's Awakening story.  I had borrowed it from a friend, rushed through the first part of the game, made it to the Face Shrine, then got stuck on this screen...

Now, it's much, much more obvious seeing it in color - but I was playing back on ye olden black and green Game Boy (and the non-DX version of the game).  I totally didn't see the hints (which seems obvious to me now).  Gave up, and gave him the game back.  This was before the days when you could just look anything up on the internet.  Well, technically, it was very early in those days, but we didn't have internet at home (god, I sound old, don't I?) and the school frowned upon using the internet for such things as video games.  Although it was really awesome when I used the school's network for Quake deathmatch.  Until the wrong person found out about it. :(

Several months later, I was over at my friend's house and picked up his Game Boy - Link's Awakening was in it.  I booted it up and saw my save file was still there, exactly where I left it.  I started back playing it and discovered the thing I was overlooking in about three minutes or so.  I promptly stole the game back from him and beat it that night (or, perhaps, early the next morning... pretty sure I stayed up past my bedtime on that one). :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (PS4) - Fun game and a real return to form for the series, but man the actual "assassin" on-foot gameplay is really getting tired and the game is way too long and the game world is waaaaay too big.  The modern-day stuff is just as bad as always, which is a real shame considering that Kenway's story is one of the best in the series.

Congrats, Ubisoft. This game was so long and so draining that I probably won't buy Watch Dogs now. Or whatever 2014's main Assassin's Creed game is.  I just can't take another massively huge Open World game for a long time.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline relewis2011

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2014, 07:31:48 AM »
Pokemon X! Still have quite a bit of post-game content to get to, but I'm moving on to Link Between Worlds for now...which I've already made it through the first three dungeons! This game is brilliant. From the wonderfully composed music, the great graphics, to the perfectly implemented merge ability (albeit the easier dungeons and puzzle solving, I'm not complaining as I can progress through the game rather quickly and still have a blast doing it), I've already deemed this as my runner up for GOTY.[/size][/color]