Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509210 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
Kentucky Route Zero at least the first two parts that have been released.

Stunning game, gorgeous simplistic art style and fantastic music and audio. Similar to dear Esther in the fact that it is a story driven exploration game with no real puzzles or challenges. It can be disconcerting not having the sense of accomplishment from solving a puzzle, but if you can get yourself out of that mindset, the game really shines.

The game consists of exploring maps and visiting places. You look at things and you talk to people. The conversations are interesting because the responses you choose are wildly different. You are making your own story and choosing the motivation and backgrounds of people, it's really intriguing.

Once again, an indie title that does "interactive fiction" so much better than any triple A game out there.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
Speaking of interactive fiction, I just beat Gone Home. Even though I wouldn't say it is worth the price I paid, it is a very good and spoke on many volumes to me.

I feel like depending on your past experiences you will find something to take from this game. If it ever goes to $10, I'd say go buy it immediately.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »
It is on my Steam wishlist!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »
I really want to play both KRZ and Gone Home! They both sound incredible. Unfortunately I just have too much other media to digest right now.

Word to the wise - Italo Calvino is no f***ing joke.
Gouge away.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:35 PM »
It is on my Steam wishlist!
And with that i invite you to the steam thread! ;D
Made you look ****.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Wonderful 101:
Just beat the game. It was orgasmic. Final level alone makes Asura's Wrath look like a dry, boring schoolbook, both in terms of cosmic scope and absolute crazyness.

Also, me and my buddy beat "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" yesterday. Ending movie was rather disappointing. It just started so abruptly and ended the game so fast i didn't even get it's over at first. It also looked rather cheap, even mid-stage cutscenes looked better in previous levels.

Still, Guardian of Light is a great co-op game. Highly recommended.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Gwellin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • It's a Secret to Everybody
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2013, 02:44:15 AM »
EarthBound.

Played for the first time, and beat it. Such a strange game, but I have to say that I quite liked it. Well, besides the rather difficult and sometimes brutal parts of the game—but that's me being more used to the easy RPGs they're making nowadays.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
Well, I recently finished Killer is Dead, and it is indeed the true successor to Killer 7...in that it's also a pretty average game and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  :P:   The combat can be fairly enjoyable up until enemies are able to attack you with both melee and ranged at the same time (thus making racking up combos fairly impossible), and the dodge mechanic is especially satisfying.  The game just feels like a lot of disparate ideas thrown together with no real cohesion, and the boss fights are pretty disappointing for a Suda 51 game.

Oh, and lest I forget...Killer is Dead is also one of the most sexist games I've ever seen.  Women in this game are completely ineffectual; stupid; or there for the sheer purpose of being ****ed for power-ups.  I just about reached my breaking point when I reached the train level and the characters started talking about how the men needed to take down the runaway train because "trains are a MAN'S passion. Women and children don't belong there."  I would have turned the game off right there out of disgust if it wasn't the second-to-last stage.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:01 PM »
Injustice

Oh wow, story mode is so short in this game. I literally finished it in two sittings. I remember how Mortal Kombat's story mode took me more than a week to finish and it was the best single player mode in a fighting game i played.

In this game story mode is built very similarly but it's inferior to MK in many ways:

1) as i said ridiculously short, just not enough meat in there
2) story mode is divided in "chapters" where you play as one character for a few fights.  MK's chapters i remember being pretty long, there have been like seven or more fights for each character. Some chapters took me entire evenings to get through. Injustice's chapters have just four-five fights per character. That's just not nearly enough to learn all the moves and get the general feeling of a fighter. Just as you are getting it, nope -- the chapter has ended, here's a new character -- start all over again.
3) the other problem with chapters is that there is just not enough of them, so roster isn't represented fully in it and that'd be understandable, if not for the fact that you play as Batman during three chapters. Three chapters as Batman, while everyone else gets one and some characters aren't in story mode at all.

My favourite characters to fight with were Superman and Green Arrow. Many other character i simply didn't get. Flash was pretty fun but i had no idea what most of his moves do, so i just spammed throws and regular kicks. Also couldn't make sense of Wonder Woman's stance system. Couldn't understand how to fight with Lex Luthor properly.

Ah well, i still enjoyed it enough, and the price being zero Costa Rican colones makes it easy to ignore these flaws.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 02:44:08 PM by azeke »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »
I finished Puppeteer a few days ago, and it is excellent.  It is, however, a game that you really have to be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy, as its mechanics ARE simplistic and cutscenes DO go on too long.  However, in my experience the game was so incredibly charming, cleverly presented, artistically impressive, and fun that those faults didn't really bother me.  This game is very much the kind of game I've always wanted out of the Kirby franchise (which this game shares some similarities with).

For more, check out the upcoming NFR episode 24 in a few weeks.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Ys I & II Chronicles on PSP.

With Ys seven, I was questioning the opinion of some people calling the series a "Zelda knockoff" because it felt more akin to Seiken Densetsu to me, although it featured a fair amount of things not typical for a straightforward ARPG.

Ys I & II on the other hand were much closer to a Zelda game, but still feel different. Combat, while still a little tactical, is faster and more direct, the lack of handholding felt refreshing (although it was a tad bit annoying to recheck everything because it has absolutely no handholding whatsoever) and for once, auto heal was done right.

On the looks side, I need to state that I am a sucker for Falcom's anime look. The character portraits look lovely, but not too out of place or too generically bishoujo-ish (which has taken over every anime style game nowadays). The music on the other hand... ergh. I used the "Chronicles" music and it sounded just not right – too speedy, too "pop-ish" and while not bad in and of itself, not befitting the game.

While not perfect by any means, Ys I & II: Chronicles is a game that should be played, because it felt really long since playing such a fun ARPG for me.

On to Ys: The Oath in Felghana... and after that, Memories of Celceta.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Just finished the story in Splinter Cell: Blacklist. There is about 75% of a really good stealth game in here. Unfortunately, the game likes to put you in full combat situations, especially at the end of a mission and then your stuck shooting your way out.

They have three modes of play in the game that they score you on: stealth-non-lethal, stealth-lethal, and assault, but they seem to force you into the preferred playstyle of whatever cut scene throws at you.

There is even a couple first person shooter sections in one mission, and they are not the best

Online play is fun when you can find a match through Ubisoft's bork U play servers, but I don't have the time to dedicate to online

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »
Finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii U). The game was fantastic, and the ending payoff was worth it.

Despite having no issues with earlier bosses (I was leveled pretty well due to focusing on finishing as many side-quests as possible during the game) the final battle was tough - it took a couple of efforts to put him down, although could have been faster if I had just used my head sooner and improved my strategy.

Have considered starting again, carrying over my stats and equipment and stuff, or going back to look for more quests and hidden bosses... but think I'll give the game a break for a bit. Will be nice to come back to in the future.

Now bring on X already!
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
If you heard the aforementioned NFR 24, I mentioned having two maps left in Fire Emblem Awakening. That's not true anymore.

I made the right choice at the endgame, but I made several wrong ones and would love a chance to redeem myself - curse my utter lack of time preventing me from making sure I get everyone.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
StarDrive (PC:4X).

This game is an unfinished clusterfuck of some good unfinished ideas with terrible implementation mixed in with broken gameplay, poor UI, poor controls, incomplete quests, bugs, shallow senseless tech tree. This game should still be in early beta but the Dev pushed it out to release for god knows what reason. Avoid.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 04:17:11 AM »
Enough Plumbers:
What a great game.

Not just "great" for a flash game. It's simply great, period.

I seriously DID NOT expected that final boss. Great use of cloning gimmick and numerous power-ups throughout all 25 levels. Nice music too. Cool ending screen.

Now, onto the second one!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
Well, I finished Lost Planet 3 a few days ago, and it ended in a satisfactory manner, though I could have done without all the cover-based shooting the game just throws at you in the last few hours (this is not a cover-based shooter).

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »
So I just finished Splinter Cell Blacklist, and I really had a good time.  For the most part, the game gives you the freedom to play around the levels any way you want.  There are multiple approaches for each encounter, and each is viable depending on your preferences/skill level.  The game was actually a bit longer than I was expecting, though the forced combat/stealth sections kinda broke the flow of the game for me.  I really liked the final mission, with the exception of the boss encounter, which ended with a confusing/annoying QTE.

The story is completely cliche, and so are the characters, but I think the videogame context allows that to still be fun.  Flying around on the Normandy... er... the Paladin is a neat approach to creating a hubworld where players can pick and choose from a set of missions to complete, though I do miss being able to shack up with a waifu.

The cash-upgrade system doles out new toys and features at a nice rate; I always looked forward to the moments after a mission where I would spend my cash to buy new weapons/upgrades.  When I settled on a loadout that worked for me, I never changed it.  By the end of the game, I wasn't spending any cash because all of my gadgets/weapons were fully upgraded.  The cash could still be useful if you want to go back and beat the missions again and complete challenges with other weapons.

Finally, I just want to mention that even though EA and Ubisoft suck for creating another service in between me and my games, being able to return games on Origin is awesome.  And UPlay units, no matter how trivial the rewards, is awesome, and how I always felt achievements should be implemented.  Rewarding gamers with in-game trinkets is a nice gesture, much more than just a useless e-peen score.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2013, 03:46:39 AM »
Blaster Master: Enemy Below (3DS Virtual Console) - Solid old Gameboy Color game, but I liked the NES version better. Glad to have save states for the last little bit, as there are some tough points and finding the right path in maze-like levels can be tough and time-consuming.

Dragon Quest V (DS) - Fantastic old-school RPG with a nice bump in production values for the DS release. I think liked IV better in retrospect, due to stronger characters, but the story seemed better paced here. Looking forward to VI in the near future.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2013, 05:04:05 AM »
Candy Box 2:
What a game. I never beat the first one, but the second one captivated me much more and is more streamlined (as "streamlined" as possible for a game that likes to screw with you as much).

So i finally opened candy box and genuinely laughed out loud when i saw what's in it.

Basically to make a final push i had to eat a lot of candies (millions) and give my healthbar final boost enough to get through last bosses.

I got all items except for one. The last one i will probably get if i will win arcade games in one of the houses. Intriguingly, i still have the other house locked.

"Super RPG" in arcade is actually very interesting. RPG stripped to the barest minimum. It's all shop -- battle -- shop -- battle. And battle is just pressing attack button. While it sounds way too simple, the RPG experience is still the same: you are strapped for money and have to pick the right option between sword, shield or health to get through the next battle.

And as always for RPGs i suck at it. Whatever, i beat the main game, and while there are some post game stuff, i'm already satisfied with this game and myself enough.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »
Just beat the campaign in Battlefield 4.  It's a Michael Bay movie; dumb, dumb, dumb.  But fun.  Even the score during the ending credits sounds like something from The Rock.  There are some silly glitches, the AI is dumb as ever, and they never get you in a mission where you get to fly a fighter or a helicopter.  But the game is gorgeous.  Now I just get to hope that multiplayer works.

Out of curiosity, I did a little experiment.  I was originally playing the game on high settings @ 1080p.  But I figured I wanted to see what the Xbox One version might look like.  So I dropped the res to 720p/ultra.  It was actually a bit jarring to go from 1080 to 720 even with the bump in detail.  I gave myself time to adjust to 720p, and I eventually did.  It isn't horrible, like some people would have you believe.  Bumping the res up to 900p, which is what I believe the PS4 is running BF4 at, the difference wasn't quite as pronounced.  I felt like I had to try to find things that looked better, though the difference is there.  Both versions should be great for everybody that picks it up, as the next-gen versions are both going to have 64-player multiplayer modes.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2013, 10:32:17 PM »
Enough Plumbers:
What a great game.

Not just "great" for a flash game. It's simply great, period.

I seriously DID NOT expected that final boss. Great use of cloning gimmick and numerous power-ups throughout all 25 levels. Nice music too. Cool ending screen.

Now, onto the second one!
agreed it's fantastic!
Made you look ****.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
SteamWorld: Dig (3DS eShop) - So roughly a week after starting, I polished off this game. Fantastic game and one that I recommend highly. The upgrade path and overall pacing is just right, the game is meaty enough but doesn't overstay it's welcome, and despite a bit of hand-holding there is lots of room to explore the environment.

My final scores after beating the game were solid in every category except time to completion... but that's no surprise since I really took my time exploring and trying to excavate every possible ore along the way. Does anyone know if there are multiple endings based on scores, or a reason to replay after completion?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
I want to get a 3DS primarily because of SteamWorld Dig.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »
So I finally beat Tomb Raider.  I may or may not try to get the platinum with the online stuff (gotta find a partner since I've heard nobody plays the online stuff anymore).  I really enjoyed the game.  It was fairly easy throughout, but that didn't bother mean much.