Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 252307 times)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #575 on: September 14, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
I like the iPhone X, but the idea of it being ÂŁ999 ($1300) here while being $999 US (ÂŁ740) there is an instant turn off.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
I broke down and bought one of the new Apple Watches since my Pebble Time is on its last legs and discontinued. I went with the standard model instead of the cellular one, since I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't have my phone with me anyway and it doesn't seem worth the extra cost for the hypothetical usefulness.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
So how is it working out for ou? Or are waiting to use it more before giving your two cents?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
I just ordered it today, so I haven't actually gotten to use it yet. It was supposed to be two-day shipping but then I got the notification that it's actually going to get here tomorrow. I'll post some impressions then, but I'm sure I'll like it given how much I've loved my Pebble watches and how many more apps and features this will have.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 03, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
So after about a day and a half with my Apple Watch I'm pretty happy with it so far. Something I didn't realize is that while Apple advertises an 18 hour battery life, it's actually way longer than that. I obviously haven't had the time to put it through any real tests, but based on what I've seen so far a full charge will last easily more than twice that long. Obviously that will come down over time, but it's pretty great.

The interface works really well, I really like how much can be done with the digital crown. I went with the 38 mm model instead of the 42 mm one, and I'm very happy with that decision as it's very usable without being too big. App support is great, though it took some searching to find a few things that had all the features I was looking for.

The only thing I don't like is that I no longer get different alert tones for different apps, with every notification producing the same chime. Hopefully an option to just mirror the same sounds I would have gotten before can get patched in at some point, but I can live with that for now considering how much I like everything else.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 04, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
Hey I got a joke!

How do you milk a sheep?

Slap an iPhone X label on it and charge a thousand bucks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 04, 2017, 01:51:05 PM »
Alternatively you can apparently get by with just an apple watch label. :smug:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 06, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Did anyone get an iPhone X?

Personally, I wasn’t appalled by the price. Just to be clear, iPhone X is expensive, but I get it. Apple included technology that no other company put into a phone before (smaller Kinect, or facial recognition that measures depth so you can’t trick it with a photograph) and priced it accordingly. The technology isn’t new though maybe the engineering is. I have no doubts that if Google, Samsung, etc. wanted, they, too, could have put it on a flagship phone if they thought they could get away with increasing the price to cover the associated cost. Was I going to pay $200 more for that technology? I decided pretty early that I wasn’t.

On Saturday, I upgraded from my iPhone 6S Plus to iPhone 8 Plus and my girlfriend’s iPhone 5 to iPhone 8 as an early early holiday present. I picked literally the worst weekend to do this, but it just happened to be our first free weekend in over a month. Still, we managed to get in and out of Delaware pretty quickly. “Are you looking for the iPhone X?” was the question of the day, coupled with a look bracing to tell me some bad news. I told every Apple employee I wanted none of the iPhone X launch nonsense and was met with a sigh of relief.

Based on reviews I’ve read and watched, the main mark against the iPhone 8 (Plus) is that it looks like the previous three generations. Granted, it does though I file that under “W” for “Who gives a ****?” I don’t prescribe to using electronics as a statement or status symbol. While browsing Amazon for cases, some user reviews stated they were upset that the Apple logo wasn’t visible so that’s apparently still a thing. I ordered cases and screen protectors from Anker, all less than $10 each.

I’m very happy with my upgrade which was a calculated decision. I figure this year or next may be the last for the traditional home button with Touch ID before Apple goes all in with the notch due to solving the manufacturing bottlenecks. I want Face ID technology to improve before making that jump. Ideally, I want Touch ID integrated into the screen too. I like buying phones outright and I generally adhere to a two-year upgrade cycle so I’m on a good timeline. I’ll see what happens in the next couple years, and hopefully, by the time I buy a new flagship iPhone with Face ID in 2019, it won’t be $1000 anymore.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:17:29 AM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 06, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
I am sitting happy with my 5s which got a massive life extension by being a 64bit processor.

I don't buy something new for the sake of something new or status. If it is broken, too obsolete, has a super amazing feature that helps me, super mega cool, you know for reason that have some sort of substance to it.

If you want to blow your money on a yearly upgrade cycle whatever just don't expect me to elevate your social stature.

I will get new iPhone one day..

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
I am sitting happy with my 5s which got a massive life extension by being a 64bit processor.

While my 5C was end of life'd by being a 32 bit one. I'm tempted to get an SE to replace it at this point (or just drop out from iPhone's entirely and bring my Nexus 6 out of retirement as "the podcast phone")

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 03, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
So, about a week ago I started having issues with the charging port on my iPhone 6S. I'd plug it in and it would only charge with the cable plugged in a certain way, and that could be easily upset. And since I'd been thinking about upgrading soon anyway I decided to take that as a sign I should do it now. And since I've never been one to make sane and reasonable purchasing decisions, as of tonight I am a proud owner of an iPhone X.

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 03, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »
Hey I got a joke!

How do you milk a sheep?

Slap an iPhone X label on it and charge a thousand bucks

And since I've never been one to make sane and reasonable purchasing decisions, as of tonight I am a proud owner of an iPhone X.

Well whaddya know.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 03, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
It's probably not worth what I paid for it but I'm very happy with it so far. The screen is simply stunning, and it's really amazing how well and how quickly Face ID works. It's a really nice piece of hardware.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 04, 2018, 02:10:34 AM »
The insane choice would have been to either buying some $50 Chinese phone or a Windows phone.

My phone paired with a blue tooth car stereo head deck is great. Just hop into the car and the audio starts where you left off from. Speaking of which, why do built in or discreet car nav still exist in a world where just about any phone can do the same? If a car manufacture offered it for free I wouldn't take it. If they offered to shove an SNES, N64 or PSX for free sure, I would take that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:42 AM »
Replaced the screen on an iPhone 7 2 days ago. What a pain in the ass. Apple sucks. They've now now invented (at least) two different new types of screws for use in their phones, just to prevent people from repairing their own devices.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 04, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »
Say what you want about Steve Jobs personally but back then Apple gave a **** about customer service even if they started to make repairs harder. Tim Cook has not been a good thing for the company.

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 13, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
I watched a Johnny Carson skit on YouTube where Adam and Eve got a divorce over his being sick of eating apples. Does that count?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #592 on: September 12, 2018, 06:11:10 PM »
So, uh. Apple had their thing today.

iPhone Tennis: Now in Gold!
iPhone Tennis Max: Bigger than ever!
iPhone Tenor: Six! Count 'em! Six colors!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 12, 2018, 08:05:31 PM »
Jesus! That is a super good way to price yourself out of the market. Congratulations for convincing me to hold off buying a new phone for another year or two.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 12, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
I priced a PC that I could get for about $60 less than what Apple are asking for the Xs Max 512.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor cooled by the Baronkase's integrated AIO cooler,
ASUS Prime B350M-A Motherboard,
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo 8GB graphics card,
16GB Team T-Force Delta RGB memory,
Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD,
Seagate 7200RPM 2TB hard drive,
Deepcool Baronkase AIO Liquid Cooled Case,
Windows 10

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 12, 2018, 11:19:43 PM »
I’m mildly interested in the Apple Watch as I was since last year with Series 3. I’m holding out for a sleep monitor because I apparently toss and turn a lot. Maybe this will be the new iMac for me where I spend a literal half decade talking about and not buying an Apple Watch.

The prices, as expected, are still clownfuck lunacy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 12, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »
Having recently bought an iPhone X and Apple Watch Series 3 I wasn't really interested in this year's iterations, and nothing they showed changed that. The larger screen on the new watch is nice, but I can wait for Series 5 to upgrade.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 13, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »
If you pay $1500 for a phone, you're a moron. Period.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »
Good thing the 512 GB iPhone Xs Max is only $1449. What a time for savvy consumerism.

That price is also clownfuck lunacy. I upgraded in November so I’ll worry about begrudgingly giving up the Home button next year. I like the size of my current phone so naturally, I lean toward the Max. $1099 is pretty obscene to me even with a trade in knocking it down a couple hundred doll-hairs.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
iPhone XS, more like iPhone eXceSsively priced, amirite?

also apparently apple has courageously opted not to include a dongle with a headphone jack in their thousand dollar phone.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:55:11 PM by pokepal148 »