Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 251986 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #550 on: September 16, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
I have 32GB, it is pretty overkill outside of some applications, but I regretted my last build when I skimped on the RAM and had to upgrade later at a substantial price increase and speed penalty. Just get for as much as you can fit on the board. The absolute minimum these day is 8GB, anything less and you user experience starts suffering regardless of operating system ince you start doing more than the basics.

But the biggest upgrade you can get these days is an SSD. Even with a suboptimal amount of RAM an SSD will make you system fly until you run out of RAM.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 16, 2016, 08:54:25 PM »
SSD is definitely a huge upgrade. My current MacBook Pro came with one, but I upgraded my previous one from a regular hard drive to SSD and that alone made things so much quicker.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 17, 2016, 08:45:38 AM »
We've apparently reached the point where there is nothing new you can do with a phone, so it's time to start taking away some of the things it can do.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #553 on: September 17, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
We've apparently reached the point where there is nothing new you can do with a phone, so it's time to start taking away some of the things it can do.

And then add back that functionality with dongles.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 17, 2016, 01:55:56 PM »
We've apparently reached the point where there is nothing new you can do with a phone, so
1. it's time to start taking away some of the things it can do.

2. And then add back that functionality with dongles.

3. ? ? ?
4. Profit!!!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: October 30, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
Son of a whore, Apple didn't announce a new iMac. Apparently, that is being announced in January presumably so Apple can get Kaby Lake in there. Fine. I've been meaning to restart my comic, but I've been waiting until to get a new Mac. A few more months won't kill me.

That Touch Bar though. I was thinking of getting a MacBook Pro as well, but not for $2400. I can wait for the price to go down on the new, redesigned models.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:13:41 PM by Adrock »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #556 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »
I am kinda disappointed with these updates.  But I will live.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #557 on: October 31, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
Touch Bar looks like one of those "great in theory" ideas.  But yeah, that price is way too high.  They need to do something about that.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 01, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
I am not all that familiar with Mac, I use one at work and outside of work stuff, I hate it. I love it for work stuff though I tried using InDesign on my Windows machine after getting used to the Mac and I felt like throwing my laptop at the wall ten minutes in. So in some ways I am coming around.

We can't afford new Mac's the ones we have are running, 10.6.8 and we can't update them any further. I don't know what that equates to though, Vista, XP, 8, ME?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 01, 2016, 03:16:39 PM »
10.6 (Snow Leopard) was originally released in 2009, so it's quite old, though there are people who prefer it to more modern versions.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #560 on: November 01, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »
Apple has been adding pointless things to their OS which if you decide to use it, CAN make a difference, but it is something that takes time and isn't instantly understandable why it is useful.  The fact is Operating Systems have pretty much become as sophisticated as we need them.  So all you can do is add gimmicks to the experience.  Some gimmicks like touch screens, pencil control, multi-touch pad do help the experience and worth while additions.  Others are not so much.  The jury is out on this Touch Bar.  I has the potential to be very cool, and it looks like an experimental step to something bigger and more advanced.  I really like those e-ink Keyboards for true innovation.  It would actually turn the entire keyboard into whatever you need it to be.  However, this e-ink bar, which I am sure will be useful in some applications just doesn't seem that compelling. 

Also I wish Apple would reconsider their ideals on weight and thinness.  To me they should focus on 2 different markets.  The Consumer market which weight, thinness and battery life are important.  Having fewer ports is OK here, but the Macbook should have had the 4 ports that the Macbook Pro has now. 

And a Professional model that sacrifices thinness but adds legacy ports (HDMI, SD Card, ect...) and bigger battery.  I don't think any professional is going to say you know what.  I was going to buy the new Pro computer, but it is just too thick and too heavy.  However, I do know professionals that will say, the new pro sacrifices ports and battery life and higher RAM for appearance...and that is just not acceptable.  Ever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 05, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
I'm waiting for an iMac update
I like the new iMac, but I have to wait for next year's model
I've been meaning to get an iMac for a while now
I'm also looking forward to the next iMac, but I really want a Retina Screen.
I'm contemplating the iMac which was updated a couple weeks ago, but I'm leaning towards waiting another year.
I'm probably getting the iMac refresh later this year, but none of these changes really affect me.
I'm waiting for the Apple to announce the new iMac. My MacBook Pro is on its last legs.
I'm going to buy an iMac because the MacBook Pro I've had for six and a half years ceases to function in the manner I want it to. It had a good run. I got my money's worth.
Jebus...............

While I think it'd be funny to keep pushing this off, I'm finally pulling the trigger on buying an iMac. I know, I know. You'll believe it when you see it.

I selectively quoted myself above. I almost always held off due to lack of money though the last couple refreshes, I was waiting for an extra feature. However, I've been debt free since March 2016 and I got a fairly substantial promotion in January. The one thing I wanted was an SSD standard. The Fusion Drive is now standard since Apple, for some reason, still fucks with that on its desktops. I guess if I really want the SSD I can customize it on Apple's website. I'm more likely to just deal with it and drive down to Delaware to save on taxes. I'll put what I'm saving on taxes toward more RAM.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #562 on: June 05, 2017, 09:13:56 PM »
Congrats on the debt repayment and promotion!

I'm pretty interested in AirPlay 2, whatever that does/means.  I've been worried AirPlay was dead for some time now.

I think I'll also get an iMac to eventually replace my MacBook Pro.  I really just need a tablet for my casual browsing habits.  I don't need to sit on my couch with a laptop.  But I guess I'll need a nice desk area first. #LeSigh

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:17 PM »
Yay, Apple invented a speaker that does things...oh wait. At least they're finally reaching the market of people who want an Amazon Echo, but also want to pay twice as much money for it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »
Congrats on the debt repayment and promotion!
Thanks!
Yay, Apple invented a speaker that does things...oh wait. At least they're finally reaching the market of people who want an Amazon Echo, but also want to pay twice as much money for it.
I'm not interested in that entire product category. Maybe when I buy a house or just have money to throw at extraneous things. I read that HomePod addresses the main issue with both Amazon Echo and Google Home: the speaker. I guess if you're going to charge more than double, you have to have something to show for it. I'm not really sure that's good enough.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 06, 2017, 12:02:21 AM »
Spoiler alert: it's not.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 19, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »
I bought an iMac about a month ago (finally!). I originally bought the middle tier 27" model and exchanged the Apple Magic Mouse II for the Magic Trackpad and the regular Magic Keyboard for the Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad. The Apple Store clerk gave me the student discount because I'm charming and good-looking so I saved an extra $100. When I brought it home, I realized the screen was unnecessarily large for my needs so I drove back down to Delaware to exchange it for the highest tier 21.5" model. It was a difference of about $500, but three different Apple Store clerks couldn't figure out the exchange (I also returned the Magic Trackpad because come on...). They messed up thus I saved an extra $80. I figured the money I saved could be put toward an iPad Pro.

It took me a bit to find the following post:

I haven't been able to justify the whole tablet market. I can't see why I would ever need one. They don't seem to do anything more than a smartphone can besides have a larger display and they're too limiting to be a laptop replacement. I'm not buying the whole post-PC era. It sounds like something Apple made up to sell a giant iPod Touch. If I really, really wanted/needed an ultra portable computing product, I'd probably buy a Macbook Air. The 11" model is about one pound heavier and it's a full-fledged computer. As a secondary on-the-go/convenience computer, it seems to get the job done better than any tablet ever could.
Ha, lulz...

I'm willing to eat half-crow on that post. I bought the iPad Pro because Apple released a nice (albeit unsurprisingly expensive) keyboard. I was never a fan of touchscreen typing. And while I realize there have been bluetooth keyboards since forever, they added a lot of bulk which I didn't like. It seemed to go against the very idea of a tablet's portability. I wasn't really interested in a tablet until I could use one as a laptop replacement, "a secondary on-the-go/convenience computer" while still taking advantage of a tablet's extra portability over a laptop. The iMac is my primary productivity device. I can take the iPad Pro to the SO's place (she has the original iPad which barely functions and no TV) and get some light work done or putz around on the internet.

The iPad Pro, Smart Keyboard, 29w power adapter, and a USB-C Lightning cable came out to like $875 so a little over $400 cheaper than the recently updated MacBook. I realize the MacBook Air is $999, but the iPad Pro with the accessories I bought were still cheaper, and it has a better screen and greater portability. Overall, I like it. The iPad Pro does exactly what I need to though I read its real worth lies in iOS 11. I'm probably going to pass on the Apple Pencil.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 13, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
iPhone X is tempting though I'm not sure I'll be able to track one down. I've been saving credit card points since I bought my TV in July 2014 and I just hit $1000 with my latest payment. That softens the blow of how insanely expensive the X is. Part of me thinks the 5.8 inch screen is overkill especially since I have an iPad Pro.

Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular intrigues me, but I think it's still too pricey (#AppleProblems). I have to inquire how cellular works. Do I need an additional plan? Presumably, I wouldn't be using both phone and watch at the same time due to a lack of additional hands.

I literally couldn't give fewer fucks about Apple TV.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:42:01 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:54 AM »
The Apple TV is a great piece of hardware, definitely my preferred set top media device (watching The Simpsons through it as I type this). I haven't seen anything that would make me want to buy the new one, though, as I don't have a 4K TV or any media that would take advantage of it.

I'm probably going to buy one of the new Apple Watches, though. I've been a Pebble user for a long time, but they got bought out and discontinued and my current one's on its last legs right now battery-wise to the point it's barely more than an Apple Watch's. Not sure I need the one with the direct cell connection, but the Wi-Fi only one isn't that much cheaper, so I may end up going that way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:55 AM »
I think Apple has finally given up on trying to be original. To be fair, there's not much left to be done with a phone that isn't done already, but they introduced absolutely nothing new. The Essential Phone already has edge-to-edge display, Samsung has been doing face unlock for years and also got rid of buttons, wireless charging has been around for years. Maybe they'll bring AR mainstream...but do we really need a bunch of idiots chasing things that aren't there?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
Maybe they'll bring AR mainstream...but do we really need a bunch of idiots chasing things that aren't there?

There's a Pokemon Go joke here somewhere.

Anyway, I think the most interesting thing Apple announced was that 4K content wouldn't see an additional price premium.  Making it the same as their HD premium with free upgrades is pretty cool. 

Edit: Wanted to add that the main reasons I think that pricing thing is the most interested is that it 1) all the phone rumors checked out; 2) Apple just "caught up" to all the recent phone innovations; 3) makes them seem to be invested in getting people to jump to 4K.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:51:06 AM by nickmitch »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
Yeah not price gouging for 4K is nice. Honestly a movie is a movie, all versions should cost the same. Perhaps this will get Google to change their prices, which are absurd.

I almost made a Pokemon Go reference but I don't know if people still play that :/
#outoftouch

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #572 on: September 13, 2017, 11:29:40 AM »
I play it pretty regularly.  They've added one of those systems that rewards you for playing it everyday.  Also they've been rolling out legendaries all summer and that looks to be continuing into the fall.  In fact, the game has seen a lot of changes this year with the addition of Johto Pokemon, revamps of the gym system, new Pokestops, and new items.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 14, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
Data plan details for Apple Watch:
Verizon: $10 per month, $30 activation fee
AT&T: $10 per month, $25 activation fee
T-Mobile: $10 per month, no activation fee
Sprint: $10 per month if you sign up for auto-pay, $15 per month for all both of you who haven't signed up for auto-pay yet, no activation fee

$10 seems high for something that probably uses less data and typically isn't used at the same time as a phone. I suppose one could stream video from their phone and text on a watch or hand the phone off to their child while putzing around on their watch. I still think the likeliest scenario is using one or the other. $5 would have been better, and honestly, I feel like this is one of those things that T-Mobile CEO, John Legere, eventually adds on as a perk to being on T-Mobile's network.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward iPhone 8 Plus. I'm not sold on FaceID yet. I like TouchID. I don't have to look at my phone to use it, and I think it's something Apple will reintegrate once it can figure out how to reliably implement it into the screen.
The Apple TV is a great piece of hardware, definitely my preferred set top media device
I'm sure it is. I meant no disrespect. Something like Chromecast fits my needs more. I stream Game of Thrones, basically end of list. How often do you use your Apple TV?
I think Apple has finally given up on trying to be original. To be fair, there's not much left to be done with a phone that isn't done already, but they introduced absolutely nothing new.
Isn't Apple's approach refining rather than being wholly original? Even the original iPhone was just Better-Blackberry, as reductive as that sounds. I think Apple gets more credit for originality than it often deserves, not that it's never original. Apple will tweak an idea to the point where it's usable and easy. I imagine most companies can probably get pretty close to offering Apple level quality and ease of use before Apple even considers taking a shot at it; they're just not ballsy enough to charge what Apple does. Like all things, if you want better stuff, it's going to cost you extra.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:50:12 AM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 14, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
Apple is nor completely innovative or copy pasta. Apple tends to "Perfect" a product naturally charging more for the privilege whether you agree this is true or not.

The original iPhone was a blackberry of sorts in a way that it was a "More" BB and did meet resistance from people who wanted a physical keyboard however the phone was so much more expansive and usable than the BB which was something I used one for quite a while. When I finally switched I asked myself why the hell did I use this piece of junk for so long?! BB would have never made an iPhone as it's company was anchored by the keyboard which at the time was something of an incumbent advantage.

It used the extra screen space that you could never could had otherwise and understanding the work flow was done in minutes as in a way it was so desktop like with the icons. There was also the unity of the UI something Andriod to this day doesn't have. If I switched the language on an Andriod and came back I would not know how to change it back because the position didn't make sense but on the iPhone you knew it was as it was placed logically for someone who use computing devices alot.

They took a bunch of different ideas and made it work as something cohesive and solved problems people didn't think they had. Nobody knew they needed a smart phone until it existed. It is one of the few times that when someone built it people really did come.

Sometimes they miss like the hand blocking the antenna but you have to admit they hit it out of the park more often than not.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?