Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 251979 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #500 on: February 06, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »
I just got one of the new 4th generation AppleTVs, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Now that Apple's actually taking the thing seriously, with a real OS and app store, they've got themselves a pretty nifty device.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #501 on: February 06, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
I'm actually really excited to get one of those.  I have a 2nd gen and have been putting off getting a third gen since they came since there were always the rumors of a new one being "right around the corner".

What really bugged me were the rumors that Apple was still "trying to figure out TV" when the answer was in front of them the whole time with a natural progression of a device they already made.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 06, 2016, 11:55:27 PM »
The last one I had was a 2nd gen too, and this one is such a massive improvement over that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 07, 2016, 12:21:29 PM »
The OS looks pretty good, and it's impressive to see stuff like Guitar Hero Live. I wish Nvidia would pressure Activision to release that for the Shield Android TV as well, it would probably sell better on that system.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 09, 2016, 06:29:01 PM »
What are everyone's thoughts on Apple's keynote earlier this week?

People are freaking out about Apple ditching the headphone jack. Lenovo beat Apple a few months ago, and I read there are Chinese-only OEMs that have already done this. I'm not particularly happy about it. However, Apple has been right about kicking old standards to the curb in favor of emerging or just flat-out better, more modern technology so many times that it's hard for me to really make a compelling argument that this will be the time it's wrong. To name a few: floppy disks, parallel port, optical discs, and Adobe Flash. I wish wireless headphones were more reliable, but maybe a company as big as Apple backing the move away from the headphone jack is what the industry needs to make further advancements faster.

At the same time, $160 for Airpods can swiftly get the **** out of my face. I won't and never will buy those particularly at the price. I think there are better options (e.g. Audio-Technica).

In any case, I keep iPhones for two years so it isn't time for me to upgrade. The upgrades are minimal if you have the previous year's model but probably worth it for anyone who using an iPhone 6 or older. I read speculation that Apple went with a modest upgrade this year because it's planning to go all out with a complete revamp for the iPhone's 10 year anniversary next year. Not sure I buy that. I mean, behind all the headphone jack controversy, Apple also ditched the mechanical Home button. That's a fairly radical change that I don't think is getting the attention it deserves. I will upgrade next year.

I'll consider an Apple Watch once my iPod Touch dies and the watch can play music independently of the phone. I'm waiting for the Apple to announce the new iMac. My MacBook Pro is on its last legs. The battery barely holds a charge and the hardware chokes on Spotify, Chrome, and Word running at the same time.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 09, 2016, 06:39:41 PM »
Apple has a tendency to ditch technology standards just far enough ahead of everybody else to cause problems, though you could argue that them taking that first leap pushed new tech enough to get everybody else onboard with the idea. I bought a 6S earlier in the year because my 5S was on its last legs, so this doesn't affect me in the short term. By the time I'm in the market for another one I imagine a lot of things will have worked themselves out.

As for the watch, I was hoping for an improvement in battery life. I currently use a Pebble Time, and while I realize Apple will never be able to make it last that long, I was hoping for at least a full day. I'm still considering one, as it offers a significant jump in capabilities and developer support, but Apple could have gotten me to buy one right away and they didn't.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #506 on: September 09, 2016, 06:56:15 PM »

People are freaking out about Apple ditching the headphone jack. Lenovo beat Apple a few months ago, and I read there are Chinese-only OEMs that have already done this. I'm not particularly happy about it. However, Apple has been right about kicking old standards to the curb in favor of emerging or just flat-out better, more modern technology so many times that it's hard for me to really make a compelling argument that this will be the time it's wrong. To name a few: floppy disks, parallel port, optical discs, and Adobe Flash.

Adobe Flash is still around, isn't?  I didn't think Apple had completely finished killing it off (which they should).  But Apple also tried to make the lightning port a thing over the USB 3.0.  I remember them pushing that over 3.0 when they announced the laptop I eventually ended up buying.  They ended up letting that fight go.  Still, you almost have to trust Apple on this one with that track record.

I didn't watch the keynote because work reasons.  Did Apple tout the lightning port as providing more fidelity?  Because during the rumor storm, I remember a video about how the lightning headphones actually gave better sound quality.  Something about hardware in the headphones themselves or something.  Do the wired headphones come with that?  From the reactions I saw, it didn't seem like Apple talked about the wired earpods much at all.

While we're still on the subject, I don't think I can upgrade my phone until I upgrade my car.  Unless apple sells a dongle that lets me charge my phone and use headphones.  I use the aux cable in my car (no bluetooth), and I often need to charge it while on the road.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 09, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »
Adobe Flash is still around in a manner of speaking, but all major browsers use HTML5 by default. For all intents and purposes, Flash is dead.

Do you mean Lightning or Thunderbolt? Apple uses Lightning in iOS devices for more control. I don't believe Apple ever intended for Thunderbolt to replace USB. It was a faster alternative. Apple likes playing around with technologically superior proprietary ports that gain no traction because most people don't want to trade convenience and cost effectiveness for performance. USB is good enough for most people. I'd really like USB 3.1 Generation 2 support in the new iMac though that's looking significantly unlikely. Intel won't have a CPU that natively supports USB 3.1 Generation 2 until Kaby Lake. The new iMac will probably still use Skylake so I'm likely SOL.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 09, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »
He must mean Thunderbolt. My MacBook Pro has 2 USB ports and 2 Thunderbolt ports, and there are times I'd kill for even 3 USB and 1 Thunderbolt.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #509 on: September 09, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »
Definitely meant thunderbolt.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #510 on: September 09, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
Update: the solution to my woes:

Still, that's gonna be at least $30, right?

UPDATE: Forty dollars, you guys!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 01:11:11 AM by nickmitch »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2016, 02:01:22 PM »
Apple is out of ideas. People saying they did a modest update in order to have something special for next year are kidding themselves. And anyone who buys an iphone 7 while owning an iphone 6 needs their head examined. The changes between the two are so minimal, so...boring really. How is Tim Cook still the CEO? Oh that's right, Apple fans will buy anything. Steve Jobs would be pissed.

What was Apple's last innovation? Does anyone remember? I use to think Apple's only relevant product was the Air, but now there are way better PC laptops, including Dell's, that blow it out of the water AND are much cheaper. They do still have the best TV box though...so I'll give them that.

I had an iphone 4 long ago and I've been waiting to get back on the Apple train. Not this year.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
I think most people's expectation Vs reality is getting too far out of skew when It comes to Apple. Given the maturity of the products there isn't really anywhere to go.

As for Laptops, you have to deal with the mess that is Windows 10/8/7, so pick your poison. Fixed an older Samsung laptop a week or so back, got ransomedwared(Or so says the owner) but the data was backed up so I did a wipe since the recovery software was busted. I couldn't reinstall the recovery software even with their admin tools. If it was an Apple Laptop I wouldn't even have to worry about it and wouldn't even needed a disk/usb. The Apple software in this space is not remotely flashy, it's all in the background.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »
I don't understand not getting an iPhone 7 because it's not different enough from the iPhone 6s.  Especially if your last iPhone was a 4.

iPhones are as iterative as they are expensive, which is why most sane people only buy the new one every few years.  But Apple thrives on its crazies, which is coincidentally how most smartphone games get by.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
1. Everyone has run out of ideas.

2. Every yearly phone is iterative.

3. Every company thrives on its devoted fanbase.

It's weird how Apple gets singled out for these things. I don't remember the last time I was wowed by a smartphone including Apple's. I think that says more about me and my first world problems than anything else. My first iPhone was the 4s so maybe that one when I could watch YouTube on a mobile device without everything looking and sounding like it was being recorded on a potato. I transitioned from Blackberry to something that better suited my lifestyle (e.g. taking pictures of my cat, watching videos instead of being a productive member of society). What can any OEM really add to these things that is going to impress the pants off people? Everything within reason has been added. They're being advanced as fast as technology can allow them to. They're as thin as they can be without snapping in half. There's very little room for pure innovation so we'll have to "settle" for iteration. Until a company figures out a way to shoot holograms at my eyes, smartphones are just a thing in my life that makes it more convenient. I just never understood how weirdly competitive and condescending people can be about the devices other people use.

Same goes for home computers. I'm going to buy an iMac because the MacBook Pro I've had for six and a half years ceases to function in the manner I want it to. It had a good run. I got my money's worth. I've never had a PC that lasted anywhere near as long. Apple added the thing I wanted two years ago (e.g. a higher resolution display), and that wasn't even innovative. It was the natural next step of displays. I have an anti-Apple friend who says Apple dumbs things down. You know what? Good. I like macOS. I want that to be as simple as possible. He says I can build a computer for less money. Sure, I could, but I'm not going to. I'm literally never going to build my own computer. I'll buy an iMac because it does what I need it to do in the manner I prefer to do it in (e.g. buying a well-made computer that will last for over six years).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
My sister is still running a 2009 Macbook and will more than likely keep running it for another 5 years now that it has a SSD. No Laptop is Nintendo tough, but OSX is streamlined enough that I could do remote tech support for her on the other side of the world over the Skype and save her data. If it was a Windows laptop I would have written the whole lot off for a clean wipe.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 10, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »
I don't understand not getting an iPhone 7 because it's not different enough from the iPhone 6s.  Especially if your last iPhone was a 4.

iPhones are as iterative as they are expensive, which is why most sane people only buy the new one every few years.  But Apple thrives on its crazies, which is coincidentally how most smartphone games get by.

The iPhone 4 was the best of its class back in the day (only beaten by my favorite phone of all time, the Nokai e71). But since then, they've been consistently worse than their competitors. The iphone 4s? That years biggest feature was Siri. No, thank you. The iPhone 5? Samsung dropped the Note 2, and it was that phone that Apple would eventually steal from with iPhone 6+. The 5s and 5c? The 5s almost had me upgrade until I found Sony's Z1 compact. The Z1 was waterproof, had an excellent camera, expandable memory, dual GSM and CDMA bands and it last two days easy. The 6? The best phone on the market still to this day came out right after the 6 in 2014, the Sony Z3 compact. If you had a Z1 though, there was no need to upgrade. The 6s? See my answer for the 6.

Now we have the iPhone 7 and it's no better than the 6s.

Who's out of ideas? Certainly Apple is, possibly Samsung, and we'll see about Google. Speaking of which, Google is absolutely killing it in terms of software. Look up the 'Allo' and 'Duo'. Easily the most impressive text and calling apps in years.

As for hardware, while major companies are taking the easy way out because of their fanbase, there's still plenty of innovation to be had. How about making your phone indestructible? Caterpillar has been doing it for ages. Or maybe give it a laptop dock like that Motorola Atrix from years ago? Phones are incredibly snappy now, and with the addition of USB-C the dock could link to extra ram, a GPU and HDD. How about adding hardware security features? I, for one, would like a switch that encrypts my phone on the fly. What about putting a screen on the front and an e-ink screen on the back like the yotaphone? It's an interesting way to save battery life when reading something longer than an article or checking your notifications. How about fitting a bluetooth earpiece in the phone? It wouldn't be used for music, just for talking. You could make a portion of the phone a bit bigger and have it slot in and out. This is probably the only way to make earpieces popular. How about making the phone feel pressure when squeezed? I'm surprised this hasn't already happened. The first thing you do when your phone rings at an inappropriate time is squeeze the whole phone as you look for the side button. There's so many applications you can make based off this one sensor alone. For instance, you could program it to open your camera app and start recording video and call an emergency contact or the police if you squeeze it really hard for a consistent amount of time. How about making the phone two separate entities, one part is the phone, the other how you view and manipulate your phone? I already mentioned this idea somewhere on this forum. If this hasn't been done by 2020, then I'm starting a kickstarter. Separating the phone into two parts gives you freedom to innovate on both parts separately (a redundant statement, I know). For the actual phone, you could make it indestructible considering there wouldn't be a large screen on it anymore and have it attach to a key-chain or something. For the screen (or how you manipulate your phone), just imagine how slim you could make it when all there is a screen, touch sensors, a battery and an antenna. But I digress. How about adding a whole host of scientific sensors that can tell the humidity, temperature, atmospheric pressure, the air quality, and if the phone is waterproof, maybe a sensor to analyze the chemicals in your water?

And those are just off the top of my head (except for the separating phones bit). if I worked for a multi-national billion dollar business, I'm sure I'd come up with something better than an iphone 7.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 10, 2016, 11:21:18 PM »
I like how the other fruit company is the one that released a high end smartphone with an interesting design gimmick in the past year.

Talk about role reversal.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #518 on: September 11, 2016, 12:29:09 AM »
BlackBerry is a mess. A big, fat mess.
/airhorn

Disclaimer: The author of this post worked for BlackBerry during the glory days and rampantly regrets it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 11, 2016, 12:59:19 AM »
I had a read through your list/paragraph Stogi and every entry is either redundant, already implemented without your knowledge, stupid, unworkable or are niche case. You have to take the current form factor and usage in mind.

iPhones and other smart phones like it are for 90% use cases in their class. The other 10% make do or are looking for the wrong tool. You can't slap everything in one phone, they have to prioritise what's doable and what people actually want. Some features might be mutually exclusive. Apple and Co are desperate to give you some exclusive super awesome feature with their phone but the technology is mature. That's how it is.

It's not like people can't expand their phones with other devices via USB ports to gather data for other applications, but for your average urban user how useful is an built-in air sensor going to be in their pants unless your measuring a specific sort of wind?

I am sure these days remote weather station have a really cheap low power consumption cellphone attached to process and send the small bits of data. No-one sane would buy a top end phone to do that kind of job and any heavy lifting would be done on the central server not at the sensor. Hell, a raspberry Pi and a generic cell radio would work.

If you want to know what actual failure looks like have a look at Microsoft work on tablets and phones.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 11, 2016, 04:17:56 AM »
I had a read through your list/paragraph Stogi and every entry is either redundant, already implemented without your knowledge, stupid, unworkable or are niche case. You have to take the current form factor and usage in mind.

Don't be foolish. Of course some of those ideas have already happened. That is the reason why I suggested it and even named the phones on which they appeared. The point I was making was Apple's slow pace in adopting features people already respond well too. The larger screen, waterproofing, and NFC.  Those ideas were already well-liked and well done, yet it took Apple several generations to adopt them. So why not speed up the process? Point in case, the front facing camera was introduced way back in 2003 but Apple didn't implement it till the iPhone 4.

And I'm curious what you think is unworkable and stupid? My last suggestion for scientific sensors was just me brainstorming (because it's fun), but why not? The iPhone 6 already has a barometer; keep adding more.

And did I not take into consideration the form factor? All the ideas could be done in a candy bar shape. But it shouldn't matter and neither should usage. Both will drastically change in this decade. The iPhones have looked pretty much the same for the past 10 years. Is it hard to imagine it may change or do you see yourself using the same looking phone 10 years from now? And will you interact with it the same way? I gave you a solution to change the look of the phone right now in a very doable way with mature technology that would be both innovative and exciting, but you dismissed it, which makes me think you don't actually know what is doable right now.

One thing I didn't understand from Apple at their press conferencing is the lightning port. Switching to lightning is not a bad idea, but USB-C was on the table. What was worse was their explanation of the sudden change. Take Goofle for a moment. They have had USB-C in their phones for a year now (and they still have the headphone jack). Now they did it for a reason and they made it clear. You get a significant boost in recharging speeds, and it's future proof. When Apple mentioned their shift, they used the word "courage", which is ridiculous. I have no doubt in my mind that Google is working on a Nexus dock using their connection, something that could do what I mentioned in my previous post. That is not the case with Apple.

iPhones and other smart phones like it are for 90% use cases in their class. The other 10% make do or are looking for the wrong tool. You can't slap everything in one phone, they have to prioritise what's doable and what people actually want. Some features might be mutually exclusive.

Where's the space between slapping everything in it and putting the least effort possible per iteration? And just because you would use it only 10% of the time doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. With that train of thought, NFC wouldn't exist and still shouldn't exist. I assume you have a 6s. How often do you use the 3D touch? I'm curious. And would you do away with it if it's less than 10% of your total phone usage?

Bottom line is, I look towards Apple for some genuinely interesting ideas, ,ideas that make me excited for future possibilities. And while I make fun of Siri, what since then has Apple actually brought to the table? Where is that finesse, that obvious invention that no one has thought about? Why is it left up to other companies to pave the way forward. What I'm asking is, why is Apple so timid?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:29:45 AM by Stogi »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 11, 2016, 07:47:20 AM »
I have a 5s if that makes a difference and no, I am not getting a new phone.

As I said before, all the companies are looking for some sort of feature to sell to the market. If they think it is viable and useful to you they would include it into a phone. No matter how big your brainstorm is they have had 1000's of people doing the same thing and actually built it in a prototype or already pushed out as a product.

You don't seem to understand the term "Mature technology". There isn't really anywhere for the technology to go or space to innovate. You keep asking for the next dumb-phone to smart phone explosion, but that isn't going to happen again for the foreseeable future unless someone figures out how to make a Futurerama EyePhone. At that point phones become obsolete and you're talking abut transhumanisim.

To take one of your examples, if you could shrink a mass spectrometer down to something that was phone size that would be a great thing for the scientific community, but it would be a worthless feature to build into a phone. Such a thing would be an accessory or a dedicated device as Joe Public would have no reason to ever use such a thing.

You wanted to know what idea you had I found the dumbest? A button to encrypt your phone on the fly. Why you think this should be a thing escapes me. Even in brain storming you give an idea quick sniff test before committing it.

It's dumb because there is no reason for the phone to not be encrypted at all times. Go ask the FBI about it when they were begging Apple to get into the phone. Having a button toggle would defeat the purpose of encryption and how it works. Not only that you already have a function similar to it but the thought never occurred to you that every time you unlock your phone you are partially "Decrypting" a layer by gaining access.

What you want to design is a "Lock" button and what's this? What is this button on the top right of my iPhone....

Second in line is the squeeze phone. There is no way you're not going to accidentally squeeze too hard activating something. Also we already have a far better solution called buttons, you know, the ones on the side of your phone.

Third, I guess you never heard of bluetooth ear pieces.. invented back at least the year 2000.

If you want to complain go ahead, just don't jot down streams of conciousness again, anywhere.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 11, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
You wanted to know what idea you had I found the dumbest? A button to encrypt your phone on the fly. Why you think this should be a thing escapes me. Even in brain storming you give an idea quick sniff test before committing it.

You thought that one was stupid? I thought that was at least decent. You made me do a google search to see if it exists, and searching for a hardware switch to lock down your phone and encrypt your calls and messages (on top of what is already encrypted obviously) brings up this: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/31/11818358/sirin-labs-solarin-privacy-smartphone-hands-on-photos

It looks like an awful phone (16000 for a shitty Android phone?) but there's no denying that's a neat feature. Being able to lock down your phone with hardware may not be useful to people like us. To the makers of the Blackphone and their customers, however, they might want to take notice.

You don't seem to understand the term "Mature technology". There isn't really anywhere for the technology to go or space to innovate. You keep asking for the next dumb-phone to smart phone explosion, but that isn't going to happen again for the foreseeable future unless someone figures out how to make a Futurerama EyePhone. At that point phones become obsolete and you're talking abut transhumanisim.

Again...I gave an example of a space you could innovate in now. We have the technology to split our phones in two today; the guts and the display. The potential for following this idea is extraordinary. I could have several configurations of screens to choose from, selecting and switching on the fly, yet my phone stays the same. I could break or lose my screen, yet still have my phone. I could borrow someone else's screen, pair it with my phone, and have all of my information present. I could send out the same information to multiple screens with my one phone. I could control multiple screens at once. And it goes on and on.

To take one of your examples, if you could shrink a mass spectrometer down to something that was phone size that would be a great thing for the scientific community, but it would be a worthless feature to build into a phone. Such a thing would be an accessory or a dedicated device as Joe Public would have no reason to ever use such a thing.

Okay, weird example, but I'll use it. If we could shrink down a mass spectrometer to 1/32 of the phone size, then we should include it. Joe the Public (why are you hating on the public?) may not find an immediate use for it, but a clever developer coupled the spectrometer with the camera and made a real-life pokedex capable of telling you what you're looking at with greater specificity and what it's made out of. Genius.

The point is, while these features may sound ridiculous to you, the fact is if everyone had it, the amount of information you could receive and use is incredibly beneficial. Let's again take the barometer for example. Because it's built into every iPhone since the 6 (and several lines of Androids), it allowed a developer to create a real-time, crowd-sourced weather forecasting application that gives you very accurate data based on your exact location. You can know when the rain will start and stop down to the minute on you specifically.

Second in line is the squeeze phone. There is no way you're not going to accidentally squeeze too hard activating something. Also we already have a far better solution called buttons, you know, the ones on the side of your phone.

Again, you fail to see the usefulness in this space because of an inability to look past current hardware features.

Putting pressure on a phone is very different from squeezing it, especially if the phone can learn where you're most likely to place your fingers and how hard you can squeeze. Furthermore, different actions can arise by where I squeeze, how many fingers I use to squeeze, and if I'm squeezing with my left or right hand. Please explain to me how a button can provide this level of sensory input?

Third, I guess you never heard of bluetooth ear pieces.. invented back at least the year 2000.

And that's why you see them everywhere, right?

People can't be bothered with them at the moment. And still, holding up a phone to your ear for long conversations is tedious. Most people opt to have their headphones on in those situations or use their speaker-phone setting. I'm offering a third solution, place an earpiece in the phone itself. The speaker and microphone don't need to be great, only functional. What's more important is that it needs to be immediately accessible. I suggest you search 'tiniest bluetooth earpiece'. I think you'd be surprised by how many people would be excited by this feature.

As I said before, all the companies are looking for some sort of feature to sell to the market. If they think it is viable and useful to you they would include it into a phone. No matter how big your brainstorm is they have had 1000's of people doing the same thing and actually built it in a prototype or already pushed out as a product.

And that product is an iPhone 7. Obviously, something is wrong here.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:04:39 PM by Stogi »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 11, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
Holy **** you actually think you are better than 1000's of people actually dedicated to designing phones.

1. You have no idea how encryption works, stop it. If you want extra security features you use self deleting messaging apps and/or encrypted data links not some butchered $16000 phone. There are a range of software solutions that already solved that problem.

2. Now you got 2+ bits of a phone running around your pocket with 2+ batteries to content with with the additional power consumption of radio links. The radio part of a phone is small even when you include the antenna. That's why it isn't some second attachment or standalone box. You can have your silly non-functionality right now if you have an iPod touch and a dumb phone. You can test it out yourself right now by carrying a useless object of your choosing along with you phone and see how that works out for you.

Have a look at how far smart watches have taken off. I have yet to see someone have one let alone use it.

3. Including a feature for the sake of including one drives up the price. Things with such niche purpose is always better off as an separate device. No one outside of those specialists would use it as the data is worthless to your average person. What happens if the sensor costs the same as the previous full size one that runs into the tens 1000 dollars? Are we still including that just because we can?

The barometer isn't used for what you think it does. It acts as another GPS "satellite" to give you a more accurate fix as to where you are. GPS sucks when giving you elevation data. It can place you on the surface of Earth within the meter but elevation error is measured in hundreds of meters if not more. That's why when getting a GPS coordinate it never gives you an elevation. Even with a barometer I wouldn't trust the height information as it wouldn't be calibrated properly.

Crowd sourcing barometer data wouldn't be useful as the barometer wouldn't know what the specific nature of where it is at. Inside a small building the pressure difference might be 1 or 2 (30-60 feet height difference!)points but if you go into a high rise the error increases. If you go into a pressurised building like a skyscraper the data is worthless. Long streets with building on both sides would give you false data. All this is assuming people would be willing to part with this information at their expense.

There far more to weather than local pressure differences and I bet that developer is BS by reselling you data from other weather services.

4. A squeeze phone is a too inaccurate of an input. Do you know how much force you unconsciously hold a controller or steering wheel? Do you know how much your grip changes as you move or balance yourself? Have you ever thought about why the Gamecube controller trigger has so much travel? or why no one uses the two button sensitivity of the PS controller? Think how inaccurate motion controls are.

What happens if you forget to lock your phone before you put it into your pocket? There be some epic butt dialling, hope 911 doesn't show up. You already scoff at Siri which can be pretty imprecise at times and you want to apply the grip equivalent to the outside of your phone.

5. Did you not watch Apple's press conference when they offered wireless ear buds? Have you had a look at the minimum size of ear buds have to be? People don't want phones to be that bulky.

Most people don't use a wireless ear piece not because it isn't available but because it is too inconvenient and fiddly and people don't want to be carrying around another piece of equipment especially one with another battery they have to keep an eye on with a short life. It's 2 part phone redux. I followed links on Google and they suck.

It isn't that I don't have an "Imagination", it is that I filter it through reality before I spew it out on paper. Please self filter more. The lack of self filtering is why we end up with dumb gimmick kickstarters that fail. You're not "innovating" anything, you're just spewing **** out. Do your Kickstarter now, see how far you get.

There is no point in continuing this discussion as you're going to continue your manic rant and I am no longer going to invest anymore energy trying to talk you down. I shouldn't have tried in the first place and just let you ramble on. I regret this waste of energy now.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »
How often do you use the 3D touch? I'm curious. And would you do away with it if it's less than 10% of your total phone usage?

I have a 6s, and I use the 3D touch quite a bit.  A lot of apps have been implementing it.  It isn't really "ground breaking", but it has some novel usage cases.