Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 252677 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #350 on: September 09, 2014, 08:53:27 PM »
i'm confused about the naming convention. The sport is the smaller model, yet you can get a sport branded mdel for the 42mm version. I think the smaller one with the sport band looks the best.

The apple website got a makeover as well.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
I am with Adrock. These are phones. I am not sure what people are expecting.

That said, I use the hell out of Touch ID.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
I am with Adrock. These are phones. I am not sure what people are expecting.

That said, I use the hell out of Touch ID.

I was expecting the second coming of Christ in the form of a phone. Overall a nice update for someone in the apple eco-system. I'm most excited for mobile payments.

I'm hoping we see a major change for the Macbook hardware at some point.

I'm still hoping that we see a major shi

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »
I'll be really interested to see what the jailbreak community does with the watch. That'll probably be what gets me to buy one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

Have to say i'm surprised there  isn't a very low end model to pair with the 5c taking ques from the old ipod nano.

But its funny that this is nothing but Android Wear for the apple eco-system and much better hardware. It seems to be doing the same thing but Apple Watch has a extra step of interactivity and complexity like a standalone device, yet it needs to be slaved to a Iphone like Android Wear is too Android.

I think the Asus Zenwatch looks good.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
Completely unrelated to today's announcement, my mom got a new computer and in about three clicks I was able to fully restore it from a Time Machine backup. Great example of Apple's "it just works" design philosophy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »
The best product Apple sold has been discontinued and replaced with something that has less space, is a fair bit bulkier, and will cost me either $950 or $400 + 2 more years of my life.

Thanks.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2014, 10:39:57 PM »
RIP Ipod Classic.

So I just finished watching the keynote and Man the tone couldn't figure out if wanted to be Williamsburg hipster or more mainstream pop culture anymore. The Apple Watch section was very classic apple in the way it was revealed and marketed, but the NFC Ad and the bit with bono was microsoft tier level bad.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2014, 11:15:22 PM »
Death of the iPod Classic is probably the biggest news of the day.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Looks worse in non rendered pictures.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
That first one as Silver wouldn't be bad.  I'm hoping Microsoft comes through with there watch and blows this out of the water.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
These are phones. I am not sure what people are expecting.

These are the two most backward thinking sentences I've ever read. Replace "phones" with literally anything else technological and you'll see what I mean.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:41:29 PM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2014, 02:46:28 PM »
To tell you the truth thinking about it a little more.  I was hoping more for a beyond just a tethering watch.  I was hoping for a watch that was the phone.  Like an iPhone Nano.

It could have a wrist band that you could use when you take it off to be the speaker and microphone.  Then there also be Blue-Tooth.

It wouldn't be able to run all the the things that an iPhone could but, it do your music, gps, etc.  pretty much what the Nano could.  I also have NFC in it so it could do the touch to pay.

Personally most of my need that would fit.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »
The watch is impractical for a huge host of applications. Sure you can see who texted you but how often are you gonna reply with a wink? You'll still need to take out your phone to answer damn-near all of your texts. They did not make the screen big enough and able to detach from your wrist in order to make quick, but specific replies possible.

Furthermore, it is not stand alone. The most touted feature is Fitness, but you're gonna have to put your phone somewhere. And there's no way in hell some chick with short shorts is gonna cram a phone into those or strap it to her arm with a watch on the other. That's ridiculous.

It's a fashion statement. That's it. It's barely more convenient for VERY few things than taking out your phone is, and it doesn't stand alone. It's, again, impractical.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2014, 03:23:49 PM »
You couldn't pack all the tech and functionality of a smartphone into the form factor of a watch and have enough battery capacity to last more than about 45 minutes.

The watch is impractical for a huge host of applications. Sure you can see who texted you but how often are you gonna reply with a wink? You'll still need to take out your phone to answer damn-near all of your texts. They did not make the screen big enough and able to detach from your wrist in order to make quick, but specific replies possible.

Furthermore, it is not stand alone. The most touted feature is Fitness, but you're gonna have to put your phone somewhere. And there's no way in hell some chick with short shorts is gonna cram a phone into those or strap it to her arm with a watch on the other. That's ridiculous.

It's a fashion statement. That's it. It's barely more convenient for VERY few things than taking out your phone is, and it doesn't stand alone. It's, again, impractical.

Having used a Pebble for close to a year now, I find it to be very useful, and Apple's watch should offer considerably more functionality. Quickly checking notifications and controlling my music, while somewhat superfluous, is something I really like having,

J.P. Corbran

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »
Half of the appeal of a smartwatch is being able to swipe around with it and pretend that you're James Bond.

But that half isn't worth 175$

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
It's a limited appeal thing, certainly, though you'd have said the same thing about smartphones a decade ago.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:23 PM »
I don't text.  I'm in the Donut whole of time where Texting doesn't really appeal.  I'm not young or old enough.

When I was in High School I figured we have Cellphones that size of Credit cards about 5-6 years ago.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
Looks worse in non rendered pictures.

Indeed, very unattractive. Looks like a toy out of a quarter machine with a $100 band on it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »
I don't think it looks terrible. Might be a little thick, but I don't think I've seen a picture of someone actually wearing it.

My main problem is the price, especially for something that requires a separate product for some of its touted functionality. It'd be nice to have while running. However, I would find some other solution to this (like just taking along my iPhone) and put that $349 towards something else I don't need but want much more like an iPad Mini.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
Its not any thicker looking than your standard Men's Macho watch.  In fact it may be thinner.  It looks a little big for a women's watch.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 12, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Nice write up by ars comparing Android Wear to the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is a mini smartphone while Android Wear is a notification platform. But man those Watch UI looks really bad at times, and it depend on what task both watches are doin about the functionality.\

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/smartwatch-wars-the-apple-watch-versus-android-wear-in-screenshots/#image-10

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
I was honestly expecting them to make the OS look something like the 6-7th gen ipod nanos with the clock face serving as a lock screen.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 12, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
I'll likely end up getting one of the watches. I'm fully immersed in the Apple ecosystem, have been pretty much all my life, an early tech adopter, and the current owner of a Pebble. I'm not sure I could possibly be more in the demographic for the thing than I already am. And while I love my Pebble, there's a limit to what the tech and especially the development support can do for it. Apple throwing its support behind the thing will bring far more other developers onboard than the Pebble could ever hope for.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 12, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »
I was expecting a low end version of the smartwatch to be pretty much the ipod nano with the band, but apple doesn't seem interested in the lower market tier.

Pebble and any other new comers to the market is pretty much fucked. If your an apple user your obviously going to go toward the Apple Watch, and if your deep in the Google eco-system like me, than its time to grab an Android Wear device.  Really Pebble needs to start working their support for Windows phone and Blackberry.

I have to say I really like the design of the new iphone's and hoping that this may be the year we get a newly designed Mac line. The more rounded edges go much better with the ios 8 UX, and this was evident by the 5c last year.