Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 252918 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #275 on: June 03, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
So thoughts on the WWDC and  all its annoucments.

Mac OSX Yosmite

Looks to be a good update for people in the Apple ecosystem though alot of it seemed to be playing catch up or co-oping other stuff.

Cloud Drive looks to finally be getting a good first party solution to the cloud,

The Phone calls thing is similar to Google Voice but its going to be supported unlike Voice.

The SMS is something that's really awesome looking, its not native in google or microsoft but there are ways to hack around it.

Handoff seems really good if your in the eco system and is something that google can't really reproduce and wil take microsoft some time.

Instant Hotspot holy **** that's awesome.

Overall its a nice update that focuses on bringing its platforms closer together with out alienating the userbase like microsoft did.

I really love the desgin of Yosmite/IOS 8 and I hope it cracks down hard on google starting to update all of their application and website apps at the same time. 
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 03, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
It looks like they are trying to keep customers from leaving iOS. I think mobile OS'es are getting to a point where soon there will be almost nothing left to do, but i was surprised at how small the changes are, and that essentially everything they're adding has been in Android, Windows Phone, or even BlackBerry for a long time now.

For OSX - I don't use it (technically I do have a VM on my Windows laptop), so I can't really have an opinion. I do not like the new icons at all, though. I would only ever consider getting a Mac if I wanted to develop for iOS, but I would mainly still run Windows on it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 03:18:58 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 03, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
I like OSX and I'm probably getting the iMac refresh later this year, but none of these changes really affect me. I'm just buying a new computer because I want a new computer and the battery on my MacBook Pro holds much less of a charge now.

I don't really see the iOS changes really affecting the way I use my iPhone. Most (all?) of the changes seemed pretty minimal. I'm sticking with the ecosystem because I already know how to use it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2014, 05:16:13 AM »
It doesn't seem like too many major upgrades are coming to iOS, which is good for me since it means I won't be tempted to upgrade early and lose my jailbreak.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
The most interesting thing for me that came out of this is the Swift programming language which looks to be interesting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
Swift could be interesting. It looks a lot like the love child of Python and Haskell, and I'm no fan of Haskell. On one hand, if it's really easy and less error-prone to use, then it will be great, but I like how easy it is to port between C++, Java, C#, etc.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
Most interesting thing to me is how iOS and the other mobile operating systems are making most small productivity apps useless by taking those features are making them native. I used to be a guy who had a separate weather app but these days I just push up or swipe to Google now for most relevant infomatio n, for finding things near me I use now and maps, and I moved from.drop box a long time ago.

I do sort of love how Apple has solved the condrum of having a phone, tablet, and a computer. Everything connects together but your phone by far is still the center of all of it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #282 on: June 04, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
At this point, almost all of the benefits of jailbreaking (aside from using my unlimited data in a wi-fi hotspot) are gonna be in iOS natively. 

I think the message/calling thing will work great for me personally.  My ex-girlfriend used to hate seeing me tweet while not answering my phone because my phone is in another room while I'm on my computer.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
At this point, almost all of the benefits of jailbreaking (aside from using my unlimited data in a wi-fi hotspot) are gonna be in iOS natively.

I wouldn't go that far; there are still plenty of things I can get via jailbreak and not any other way, though the list is certainly shrinking.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
Well, for me, I got a lot of it in the control center.  The weather widget in the pull down menu thing is helpful, but I can use siri.

There's still more stuff I'd like, but I don't use my phone for as much as I used to, so the things I may have wanted before aren't as major anymore.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
Yeah, Control Center was huge. They haven't even bothered to update SBSettings (the jailbreak tweak it's largely plagiarized from) since its introduction. Even just what they've shown of iOS 8 takes away another half dozen or so tweaks. Still, there's always going to be stuff Apple won't do. I'd be pretty shocked if we ever got something like Activator through the vanilla OS, or at least anything nearly as full-featured.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #286 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »
We'll never get anything as thorough or customizable, but I'm sure Apple will put out something similar.  Hopefully, the next iPhones will make use of the bevels so I don't keep hitting the space bar when I want to access the control center.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 04, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
"Thorough and customizable" is like the whole point of Activator, though. A half-assed, limited version of it would be pointless.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 04, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »
What's Activator?

I was kind of hoping that apple would show off they're take on a newsreader or something other than rss. I stil use an RSS reader but even with things like pulse, flipboard, or google currents I feel no one has really showed the evoulution of that technology.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
HTC's Blinkfeed is pretty cool. Flipboard is just flat out annoying.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 04, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
Activator is a jailbreak tweak that allows you to trigger various actions by different gestures or behaviors. For instance, I have mine set so when I plug in headphones a little menu pops up with different apps I might want to use to listen to audio. It's got tons of different options for things you can do and ways you can trigger them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »
This update to ios 8 really looks like what ios 7 should have been, except they spent all their time redesigning the look and feel of all their apps.  That takes time and effort, and good for them for spending the time to do it.  Now we have the true refinement of the os with 8. 

These operating systems are getting quite complex, and are already basically doing anything and everything most casual users need them to do.  So I am hoping that ios 8 just fixes most of the bugs that ios 7 has...like video memory cached getting stuck and not releasing. 

I am also excited for the new Maverick.  To me it seems also to be more focused on refinement than truly new features...but again the OS already does so much, so that is understandable.  I am getting a new mac sometime this year...I am just waiting to see which model I want. 

« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2014, 12:06:41 AM »
What I want is an iPod Classic. Do they still make that line if so what are my best bets for finding a good one? I noticed Game Stop sells them used now but I am skeptical about buying used Apple products as every i-product I have owned has failed on me for no damn good reason.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
Still sold on Apple's website or in an Apple store.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
So we expecting the wearable and a TV solution at the next iphone event?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
People seem to be, but they expected them the last few times as well. Apple making a phone was rumored for years before it came to be, and the same with tablets. They're not afraid to hold off until they've got a version of it they really like.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/06/working-next-gen-iphone-leaked/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000602

iPhone 6 photos (videos in the comments). Wow, mind = blown. They added incredible new features, including *another* row of icons. RIP, iPhone design team, apparently you died many years ago.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36:22 PM »
I am not sure what they can add to an iPhone that is is meaningful at all. Eye tracking 3D? Holograms? Sub derma implant? Laser pointer? Kinfe and fork? Seriouly the expectations people have are so over blown to the point its coming back to itself.

I waited until the 5s to get one for the fingerprint scanner since fucking around with passwords everytime I want to use the phone is a pet peeve of mine. Very happy with it. Gave it a good, hard run yesterday running the battery down to 2% and the milage is pretty damn good.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
The next big thing I could see on the iphone is doing what that concept Mozilla phone did with a screen and keyboard projection.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
They could add NFC, i mean if apple decided to adopt NFC it would push it to being adopted by most retailers. Beyond that I'd like to see a new design scheme. I really like the the 5c design in comparison to he pretty boring flapship model. The straight black is pretty sexy.

But looking at samsung's annoucments at IFA, I can see why Apple doesn't bother, only Nokia and HTC really are making interesting looking phones these days and even both of those comapines are just briging out refined versions of the One and Lumia 900.

So were only expecting 5S successor, 5C successor, and a new bigger model. No apple TV or smartwatch updates.