Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 251421 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »
should'nt this forum be closed down because spyke's gone? :'(
Made you look ****.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2013, 11:58:59 PM »
Smart move.

It's for people who want Apple software but can't afford the Apple form.

Apple has always sold older iPhone models as budget options, this is just an attempt to trick people into thinking they're not buying outdated hardware.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »
this is just an attempt to trick people into thinking they're not buying outdated hardware.
but isn't that always what you get when you buy apple hardware :smug: (couldn't resist)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
Do they even sell iPod Touch 5th gens still? Last I saw the 4th gen was outselling it by large margins, I've only actually ever seen two 5th gens ever.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
Yep, they sure do.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
iPhone 5S announced, is iPhone 5.

iPhone 5C announced, is iPhone 5.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
Oh, Brandogg. You card.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
You clearly weren't paying attention, Brandogg, the iPhone 5S is 64 bit, which is twice as many bits as your puny Android phone.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »
I assume that's sarcasm. There are lots of 64-bit Android phones (well, a few)...but I don't have one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2013, 03:34:09 PM »
I can't wait to browse the forums on 4G when I'm at work instead of this paltry bullshit 3G I've been suffering through for the past two years. I'm licking my lips in anticipation of procrastination via high speed Internet access. Perhaps I will download a new app. Just one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »
Seriously, though, as someone who still has an iPhone 4 and already knew I was buying whatever they announced today, I'm happy with what they showed. I'll definitely be buying one as soon as possible.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
Most of my friends and coworkers upgrade their phones every other year. Some of them even upgrade to the previous year's model to save $100 or so. My one coworker recently specifically chose a Galaxy S3 instead of the Galaxy S4, her reasoning being "It's practically the same phone and I'm never going to use any of that new ****. I even turn 4G off." To each his/her own.

I only know of one person who upgrades every year. He always sells his current iPhone and iPad and gets the newer ones. I just don't see that as worth it. Every other year works really well for me so I'm probably on the S upgrade for the rest of my days. Besides lacking 4G, the main issue with my 4S is that the battery life isn't great anymore. I think Apple charges $100 to replace the battery. After a trade in and a new 2-year contract, I'm not spending that much more than that. Some programs have been crashing inexplicably every so often as well. The upgrade makes sense to me. As long as it lasts around two years, I'm comfortable with that.

Nothing Apple said during the announcement really mattered to me as a consumer. I already made up my mind to buy whatever Apple was releasing as I'm due for an upgrade. The improved camera simply means I'll be able to take higher quality pictures of my cats. I'm not really sure what a 64-bit processor means for my smartphone usage. I'm probably smartphoning wrong. I've heard some raging over the fingerprint reader even though the 5S isn't even the first phone to include one. And really, if you're worried that the NSA or law enforcement is going to track you or whatever, consider not committing crimes. I'm probably going to stick with a regular passcode (if I can) anyway.

I'm not sold on the new leather case for the 5S. I just wanted a bumper even though $30 was pretty outrageous. My 4S bumper is starting to wear down now, but it worked really well. I've dropped my phone so many times at the gym.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »
I stand by my original statement: any phone is only good as the network it resides on.

2000 minutes, 5000 texts, unlimited 3G (DC-HSDPA, which is as fast as what americans get now on 4G), with free 4G-LTE to come from December and unlimited tethering? And it's less than $25/month?

Win win.

Having a new mangled superphone with 42.3 applebits is great but if i can't use most of the features outside because the network is so terrible i might as well stick to my old trusty Nokia.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2013, 09:11:23 PM »
As was pointed out to me repeatedly on Twitter, you know what else was 64 bits? The JAGUAR.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
Y'all some lemmings buying whatever apple makes before you see it.

Enjoy the niceness of iOS but your going to be looking stupid when you go to use iWork and its all skewmorphic.

So you guys going to get the 5S or join the unwashed masses who are buying the 5c.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2013, 10:06:12 PM »
It's an iPhone. If you've already owned one, you don't need to see the new one to know what you're getting. All smartphones allow me to do the one thing I really care to do: browse the Internet anywhere I have a signal. I'm sticking with the iPhone because it's already familiar to me and I'll stick with the brand until it fails to do what I need it to do. This isn't fanboyism. I want things and as long as Apple provides these services in a satisfactory way, I'll keep buying things from them. That's why I ditched Blackberry. Browsing and Youtube sucked on it even though I loved and still love that keyboard. I was a little apprehensive about picking an iPhone in 2011, but it worked out in the end.
Enjoy the niceness of iOS but your going to be looking stupid when you go to use iWork and its all skewmorphic.
Seriously? Who cares? It's free. Honestly, I didn't like iWork on OSX and went out of my way to buy Office for Mac (because I'm familiar with Office). However, iWork is free with a new iPhone. I may never use it, but I can't rightly bemoan optional programs I'm not paying for.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2013, 11:48:07 PM »
I can't wait to browse the forums on 4G when I'm at work instead of this paltry bullshit 3G I've been suffering through for the past two years. I'm licking my lips in anticipation of procrastination via high speed Internet access. Perhaps I will download a new app. Just one.
Doesn't your work have WiFi?

As a 5 owner. I won't be updating this month. I have a strangely unresponsive phone at times but that's probably due to suffering a few knocks with it. I was surprised the 5C is a marginal improvement on the 5. I'm not sure they're really going to target the budget market with a phone costing AU$750. I was expecting a plastic version of the 4 but with lightning and the bigger screen.

For those of you that ARE upgrading, do you intend to use Apple's new trade in service? I think it sounds really good and just think, you're old phone will be resold in China and other emerging markets! You get a new phone, Apple get some money and poor people get a cheap smartphone! Everyone wins!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:05:29 AM by RABicle »
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2013, 12:51:01 AM »
It's an iPhone. If you've already owned one, you don't need to see the new one to know what you're getting. All smartphones allow me to do the one thing I really care to do: browse the Internet anywhere I have a signal. I'm sticking with the iPhone because it's already familiar to me and I'll stick with the brand until it fails to do what I need it to do. This isn't fanboyism. I want things and as long as Apple provides these services in a satisfactory way, I'll keep buying things from them. That's why I ditched Blackberry. Browsing and Youtube sucked on it even though I loved and still love that keyboard. I was a little apprehensive about picking an iPhone in 2011, but it worked out in the end.
Seriously? Who cares? It's free. Honestly, I didn't like iWork on OSX and went out of my way to buy Office for Mac (because I'm familiar with Office). However, iWork is free with a new iPhone. I may never use it, but I can't rightly bemoan optional programs I'm not paying for.

Joking.

Overall safe but nice upgrade.

5c>>>5s

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2013, 02:52:15 AM »
NFC next year then huh?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2013, 07:27:01 AM »
Joking.
I suggest better jokes.
5c>>>5s
I only get a new phone once every two years so I'm going to treat myself to the newest one. I really don't know what any of the specs mean, but I presume the extra power will help me out more in the long run, notably with next year's iOS 8 upgrade which is worth it to me.
NFC next year then huh?
I'm under the impression that NFC is simply one of those technologies that Apple refuses to support, like Blu Ray. If they wanted NFC in their devices, it'd be in there by now. It's not like 4G where they waited an extra year for the technology to mature. Apple could include NFC very easily if they wanted. I don't think I'd ever use it, but it's one of those things that comes up in conversation.

Also, sadly no, I don't have WiFi at work. They don't let us do anything fun here. If I did, I wouldn't be nearly as excited about 4G.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:47:54 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
NFC in iPad and iPhone would be nice for sellers who use the devices as Credit card readers.  Might prompt the tech to actually get supported.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
so apple honestly believes that a phone that costs $550 dollars w/o a contract can be classified as a budget model.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
I thought the 4S is supposed to be their budget model. It's zero dollars with a two year contract.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »
I thought the 4S is supposed to be their budget model. It's zero dollars with a two year contract.

It is but the 5c was originally rumored to be apple's nexus 4 a good mid range device that was going to be $200-350 off contract. Was never going to happen when you look at the ipad mini.

On closer inspection I do like the silver 5s and the 5c looks a bit weird. Can the cases snap off or is a one piece phone like past models.

I have to say this is legitmatlly the first time where I can say there's a better deigned phne running Android.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
Clearly, the 5c isn't meant to be low budget. Apple isn't really a cost leader in anything. This sums up what the company seems to be going for nicely.

As another 4 owner, I knew I was buying the new iPhone this year (despite the temptation to switch to WP7) before anything was announced or rumored.  I like that I'm getting 64GB of storage, 4G, and better reception. That's what I wanted.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.