Author Topic: Um, Apple thread  (Read 252313 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Um, Apple thread
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
I like SOME of the changes in iOS 7, but I think changing the icons to look like somethings a kid would design is a bad idea and just looks ugly.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »
I don't care, as long as its finally chaning the way it looks after six years.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
But if the previous look was GOOD, why change just for the sake of change?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »
if all they did was change the icons i think they missed the point...

why dont you have widgets yet...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »
That's not all they did, it's just what TJ Spyke chose to complain about. They made a lot of other positive changes. As for widgets, I have my iPhone jailbroken and could have them if I wanted them, but I've never really been interested.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »
The only widget I need is a weather one. Everything else can go kick rocks.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
Email widgets are nice, calculators, Pandora/Slacker controls are nice (though I only use Google Music now). I honestly think the new icons look horrible, but that's really all I've seen of it. I'll try to be objective, but honestly it looks like Apple's given up (why?) and have decided to copy Microsoft and Samsung at the same time (which is very ironic), or MIUI (minus the widgets).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
The multitasking looked like WebOS to me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2013, 10:47:56 PM »
Email widgets are nice, calculators, Pandora/Slacker controls are nice (though I only use Google Music now). I honestly think the new icons look horrible, but that's really all I've seen of it. I'll try to be objective, but honestly it looks like Apple's given up (why?) and have decided to copy Microsoft and Samsung at the same time (which is very ironic), or MIUI (minus the widgets).

Some of those things are already in iOS in different forms. Music controls, for instance, are easily accessible in the multitasking bar. They've already shown Control Center to give quick access to the calculator. I'm not sure what an email widget would do that's any better than just having notifications and an app.

The multitasking looked like WebOS to me.

It's more like a jailbreak tweak I forget the name of. Like I said, that's where Apple steals from. They do the same thing in OS X with popular third party utilities. On there to have your app taken like that is called getting Sherlocked, after an early example of that behavior.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:49:46 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »
I have my main email and my gmail widgets set up to take up a full page on my home page, it's convenient because I can just swipe and see all of my inbox at any time. I know you have music controls in the multitasking bar, but it's not as good as having a fully functional widget for Pandora or Slacker, etc in your notification bar or on your home screen, etc. I don't use either one anymore though, so meh. The Circles widget on my RAZR HD is incredibly useful though (it's on the Atrix HD and RAZR M too I believe).

I don't want to just hate on Apple though, and it's nice that they do make some minor improvements once a year,  but a non-jailbroken iOS device is still years behind Android or even arguably Windows Phone. It is nice for them that there are no fragmentation issues and you generally have the same experience as the next guy. I don't think they should have ever put iOS4 on the iPhone 3G though, it gets slowed down too much (same with Jelly Bean on my Xoom, sadly). Whited00r on a 3G is pretty cool.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »
What is the circles widget? Is that social networking of some kind?

I like the email widget. Being able to swipe to see your full inbox would be nice, but only a little better than just opening the app.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2013, 11:20:39 PM »

It's not for social networking. I have a RAZR HD, but it has the same setup as the RAZR M in this video, it's a really good skin for Jelly Bean.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2013, 11:37:05 PM »
Oh ok. The battery thing, while more detailed, seems redundant. The weather is something I would want. It's a nice looking interface.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Have the next few days to myself with no work or school like all my friends. So i'm cleaning up my house and watching tech stuff as background noise.

I went to try the new itunes today and I was impressed at how streamlined everything was and how pretty stuff is.

As someone who's deep in Google's OS one of the biggest complaints I can level toward the comapny and Gplay right now.

-No Podcast solution. On Android the closest thing is pocketcasts. I want a program that syncs everything between my phone, tablet, and PC.

-Magazine support but no Newstand support. Not that big of a deal for me where are the newspapers. (Its being worked on but for whatever reason its been delayed)

-Google is all about online web apps with offline modes. For somethings like books and Google Drive it makes sense. But no way to pin music to chrome OS or my PC sucks badly. The addition of Packaged apps means they're learning but only one of google's main apps is a packaged one.

Downloading the WWDC 2013 stuff for a quick watch while I sweep and mop.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
i swear i am not trolling this thread (im saving that for the iphone 5s announcement) but lets actually talk about apple stuff

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/apple-was-ringmaster-in-conspiracy-to-fix-e-book-prices-us-says/

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
I use google books so any ibooks users want to comment on their prices.

ios 7 and OS X Mavericks look really great.

Makes me wonder what the next version of OSX looks like. I'm guessing more than the apps will take ques from ios 7.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
The icons for iOS 7 are ugly.

As for the prices of books on iBooks. Apple was butthurt that Amazon was getting all the sales for books, so they colluded with publishers to release books for higher prices on iBooks and then force Amazon to charge the same.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
Icons make the OS and these icons are really nice. The only one i'm not feeling is Gamecenter since the icon doesn't give any indication of what the application does.

I do see why someone wouldn't like the OS and its design principles.  Not as lame or boring as Blackberry 10.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2013, 11:22:39 PM »
Only the Safari iOS 7 icon looks meh to me. I like it the changes in general and am looking forward to the next iPhone. The battery on my 4S isn't great anymore. /first world problems

I can't really notice any major differences with Mavericks aesthetically. I think I'm still using Snow Leopard. I'm also looking forward to the next iMac, but I really want a Retina Screen. Hopefully, the rumors are true.

I'm still not fond of iTunes. I just don't enjoy using it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2013, 11:38:58 PM »
I kind of like the new icons, but the problem is all (or most) of the non-OS icons are going to look very off (and do look very off) until the developers add their own Metro-inspired icons. And when developers start doing so, there are only so many icons you can make so simplistically while trying to make yours stand out. Basically they would look good as a launcher like on OSX, but I think they're pretty bland all over the screen like that. Apple did have to do something different though, bust most people that have come into the shop with iOS7 really hate it and want to get rid of it.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
iOS7 is out now?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »
The developer beta has been out for a while. We're probably still about a month and a half before the full release.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »
Only the Safari iOS 7 icon looks meh to me. I like it the changes in general and am looking forward to the next iPhone. The battery on my 4S isn't great anymore. /first world problems

I can't really notice any major differences with Mavericks aesthetically. I think I'm still using Snow Leopard. I'm also looking forward to the next iMac, but I really want a Retina Screen. Hopefully, the rumors are true.

I'm still not fond of iTunes. I just don't enjoy using it.

With the exception of the ios 7 style logo Mavericks looks to be mostly feature updates and app UI updates. Stuff like better icloud support and getting rid of the skecumorpism out of the apple made apps.

Looking at the Page for it.

-ibooks for Mac (store/reading/cloud sync/multiple books open)
-Maps for Mac
-Calendar redesign
-Safari
-icloud keychain (think the password save stuff from chrome)
-multiple display support
-Notifications (the website stuff is impressive)
-New Finder updates
-

I kind of like the new icons, but the problem is all (or most) of the non-OS icons are going to look very off (and do look very off) until the developers add their own Metro-inspired icons. And when developers start doing so, there are only so many icons you can make so simplistically while trying to make yours stand out. Basically they would look good as a launcher like on OSX, but I think they're pretty bland all over the screen like that. Apple did have to do something different though, bust most people that have come into the shop with iOS7 really hate it and want to get rid of it.

I kind of agree. So far screenshots of the beta looks terrible with ios 7 clashing with the older one. I have the same problem on Android where the google's iconography is pretty awesome and goes with the OS elements, but not all third parties adhere to it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
Still prefer Metro look and feel.  I like how everything snaps together and even the most detailed icons don't really look out of place because of the live tiles.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
Thinking about grabbing a new light-weight, long lasting notebook. Seriously considering the new Macbook Air with Haswell. Gets something ridiculous like 12 hours with constant use.

Cheapest I can find it for is 970 after tax. What do you guys think? Don't care if it's PC or Mac (though I am a fan of the multi-gesture support). Really just need something I can lug around town from meeting to meeting in a small messenger bag that cost less than a G.
black fairy tales are better at sports