Author Topic: super smash bros melee talk  (Read 16297 times)

Offline neo the hacker

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
super smash bros melee talk
« on: May 31, 2003, 10:09:38 AM »
super smash bros has got to be 1 of the best game cube games./ link child /or falco/ is the best fighters in it

Offline Mr. Jinks

• View Profile
RE: super smash bros melee talk
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 10:34:35 AM »
I concur.  Just another reason to own a Gamecube.
"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 11:06:51 AM »
Yes, yes it is.  But I have to say that Marth is the most skilled fighter.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 11:32:58 AM »
Against cpu gannon is best, against human opponent I'm not sure cause no one is worthy to challenge me. Someone with long range and power like link, samus would probably be best but I don't know for sure if there is one superior fighter.  

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 11:43:44 AM »
There is no universally great character.  It all depends on your playstyle.  Like, Marth can be great, but against Samus or Link, he's a dead man.  Also, it depends on the level, too.  Samus is terrible at Fountain of Dreams, but great at Hyrule Temple.  Likewise, it wouldn't be wise to take Bowser to Big Blue.  That's why I like Random stage select.  You can't just put caution on the side of your character.

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 11:59:52 AM »
dk owns all, and it is a great game. countless hours of gameplay....another really good multiplayer game is sega soccer slam....that game is so under rated. i play that game all the time with my friends.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 12:42:11 PM »
Oh come on. This has got to be the most unproductive topic I've seen all week.

DK ownz! Nuh uh! Yuh huh! Nuh uh!

Ok, we all now SSBM is a great game. You don't need to make a whole topic stating that useless fact. Besides, someone else will do it for you anyway, we get one of these SSBM rocks threads every week it seems...

Offline Chasefox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 01:53:02 PM »
Firstly, everybody knows that Fox is the best.  His speed and agility make him the strongest adversary.  Secondary, it's been months since a Melee thread has been started.  And thirdly, Melee is in fact one of the best games on ANY system.  If anyone lives in NC, and are any good at Melee, let's talk about a tournament.  None of my friends can compare to me, and I've been looking for a worthy challenger.
Wii #: 5265 0575 1339 3836<BR><BR>Guitar Hero #:  <BR>4553-8748-6319<BR><BR>PM me if you add my #

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 01:58:45 PM »
OH MY GOD!

Like, Marth can be great, but against Samus or Link, he's a dead man.

I use Roy, which is basically a slower more powerful Roy with flame ability. I whoop on everything and everyone with him. My friend uses Link and another uses Samus, there at my level which is Guru. But I still come out on top in most cases becuase roy is the sh*t, I personally think that he's to pumped up.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2003, 02:04:18 PM »
I use Marth and have no problem with Samus or Link (one of my friends plays as young link, and there are computer players).  But maybe that's just because I'm so good.

I like using Marth and taking on three level nine bowsers teamed up against me.  Bob-omb battles on Whispy Woods is also fun.

Right behind Marth for me is Shiek, followed by Captain Falcon and Fox (I'm skilled with Fox because my friend plays as him, and I've adapted to all the tactics he uses.  I'm fortunate to have a worthy opponent nearby).
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2003, 02:38:16 PM »
Yeah, Fox is considered the best character, skill-wise.  Behind him it's Falco, then Sheik, then Marth.

But I like Roy the best.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power...its burning grip tells me to defeat you!!!"

-Domon, G Gundam

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 02:49:46 PM »
I like using Roy, Bowser or Mario.

My brother is the best with Gannon or Falcon.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Fazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2003, 02:55:57 PM »
I still maintain PGC needs to put on a Melee Tournament on the west coast (greater LA area).  I am itching to try my skills on random strangers.  Dr. Mario has a prescription for pain...

Offline BoMbErMaN123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2003, 02:56:51 PM »
I am really good with mario, link, and falco. I think fox, DK, and ICE CLIMBERS!!! are really good to.
". . . And you shall shed tears of scarlet." Vicious, Cowboy Bebop

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2003, 03:14:01 PM »
Um, if you look hard enough you should find Melee tournaments in your area.

Or just find some people as good as you. I know plenty of people in my school you are absolute SSBM freaks and can tear through anyone but the best players.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 03:19:39 PM »
I try to use everyone.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 03:24:52 PM »
I try not to use Ice Climbers, or their level, which sucks. The computers just jump around the whole time trying not to die, and their's hardly time to fight...
I just don't like the Ice Climbers...not that they are bad or anything. Their A attacks are seriously overpowered, and they are the only AI opponents who will ever charge a smash attack.  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 03:54:33 PM »
I don't like using ice climbers.  Nor do I like big, slow characters, like DK and Gannondorf (though I'm surprisingly good with Bowser, perhaps because I fought him so much with Marth).  I like quick characters, like Marth, Shiek, Fox, Captain Falcon, etc.

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2003, 04:24:02 PM »
I don't really like Marth or Roy, not because they're bad characters, but because they're not that much fun to play, at least for me.  They don't have as much variety in their moves.  I like Link and Samus, mostly...  Bowser and Peach are good.  Fox is good, but I'm terrible at him (he's too fast for me).

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2003, 04:34:56 PM »
My facourite characters are Zelda, Peach, Link, Marth and sumtimes pikachu. They all have one thing in common - in a match they all can use there abiliteis and there tiers way above that of a normal character say mario or samus. I'm not sayin that any one is worse or better ok ? They are just my opinions on probably the best game that nintendo has ever created apart from Zelda. The shear idea of combining all nintendo characters into one game and watch them bash and smash each other up is just loaded with genius and pure greatness.

WELL DONE MIYAMOTO-SAN !!!!!!!!

I'm physchic. If I wanted your opinion I would have told you what it was.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2003, 04:57:16 PM »
Bah, i could own every single one of you with Samus or Mario. I find Mario is good in a 4 player melee, but Samus is good for a one-on-one deathmatch. SSBM owns!

Offline FinalC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2003, 06:05:29 PM »
Ness will f**k all up.
I am here no need a for a sig I am the sumpreme.

Offline Tekkena

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2003, 06:19:01 PM »
I started out with using Link for the first few months. Then I mastered Shiek. But to my surprise the strongest and hardest character to master in Ness. He is so powerful yet so agile. Whn I play with my best friend who is a melee freak, I use Ness against his Samus and Ganondorf, surprisely the most effective character I've ever played. Ness is the best.

Also, people don't seem to relise this but some characters are more suit for certain modes. For example, when I play Super Sudden Death and the lives are set on stock, I am invincble when I us Shiek. And when I play Stamina Mode with my best freind he is almost invincble with Ganondorf. I say almst cause sometimes when I use Ness in Stamina Mode I use my cheap "let eveybody attack eachother while I jump away from attacks and I attack them from afar.
"I am the holder of time, the keeper of evil, and the masters of dragons......."   Tekkena

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2003, 07:46:24 PM »
Strange, I find ness quite useless really. Against your friend I suggest Peach. She is after all the character with the best tiers strongest attacks plus ............ she can fly ! I'm semi moderate with peach but then again I could smash every one here. My friend is the only person in the world who has defeated me, I reckon in a team battle we could cream every one here !

Let's have an online smash mail tournament ! Wadda say?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2003, 08:02:25 PM »
Ness is too slow for me, but he is a good character.  I'd say all the characters are equal in skill, it just depends who's using them.  See, even Jigglypuff can win Event Match 51 easily, unlike any other character.  I'm best with Marth, and others are best with Mario, Ness, Fox, etc.

Marth still rules, though.

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2003, 08:39:07 PM »
Ness is great for Melees.  Especially with a charged up PK Flash.

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2003, 08:51:14 PM »
i use link, samus, dk, dr. mario, and luigi....occasionally bowser, marth, ness
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline CRiXy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2003, 09:01:58 PM »
ICE CLIMBERS ARE AWESOME!
-their attacks are damn strong, they stun well, only drawback is the doublejump

Ness licks balls now, he was the best in N64 Smash, but his attacks are so weak now.  Harsh downgraded this little kid, lol.
Live in BC? (GVRD)
Wanna trade some games?
Email or ICQ me!

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2003, 09:19:45 PM »
I play as Marth, and I have trouble against certain characters, namely Falco and Link. I almost always win, though.

Yes, I'm bragging.

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2003, 09:59:13 PM »
Sure ness can b good sumtimes but his charged up PK Flash is far to hard to hit with. HIs attacks were way stronger in the 64 version though. Ice climbers ... lets not go there.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2003, 10:12:00 PM »
I have mastered the skills of the eternal understudy. I am undefeated, and shall never lose. Never have I met a worthy oppenent, and I do not expect too. Luigi is the one...

It makes me very angry to see his skills toned down in Melee.  
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2003, 10:30:48 PM »
Luigi is horrible in Melee, just horrible.

I don't know why, but I thought it would be funny to play as Pichu with Wigger googles, only to find out that I am really good with him. Though I don't last in stock I do win in Time. Pichu is worse than Luigi though, and so is Falcon cause people can be so cheap with him.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2003, 10:46:21 PM »
i moved away from all my friends and then got a cube so i haven't really played SSB:M againsed people much :\ i did kick quite alot of ass in SSB on the 64, mostly with kirby but i was good with almost any character (jigglypuff owns okay)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2003, 11:21:28 PM »
Go Pikachu!

*Termin8 runs for his life*
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2003, 11:49:15 PM »
I never got into playing with Marth or Roy. First I stuck with Mario and Link, but now Mewtwo seriously owns everyone. He's fast, has very good jumping ability, his recovery move has him immune to attacks (and looks damn cool), He can deflect projectiles, he's strong - so lifting heavy objects doesn't slow him down much, and he can throw them very far, oh, and his reverse and vertical throws kick ass.

He's pretty light, though, so it's easy to get smacked around sometimes.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2003, 12:44:25 AM »
Pika pika pikachu, pika cha!

Mastered so far, Fox, Mario, Link, Zelda/Shiek, Pikachu, Samus, Roy.

Mew Two is too frontal in his attacks. Get behind him and he's histroy and hes too slow to boot.

My sister handles fox like the devil. So fast it's not funny.

Zelda/Shiek has my fav due to the fact that she is so flexible it what she can do.

The thing about SSBM is that speed rules.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2003, 05:12:12 AM »
If you really want to get good with Fox, there's a simple method: play nothing but lightning melees for a month against three fast characters with you always as Fox.  I recommened Lvl. 9 Falcos, Falcons, Sheiks or anyone else with high speed racing (in your opinion; so, basically, if for some reason Bowser is too fast for you, start with his speed tier and keep moving up).  By the time you return to normal Melee, it will seem like slow-motion to you.

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2003, 05:34:05 AM »
220man - Miyamoto didn't really have much to do with Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Offline Tekkena

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2003, 06:08:56 AM »
Those that are saying Ness isn't powerful are wrong. Like I said he is very hard to master. Most people I know regards him as a slow character and weak attacks. But Ness is fast. He just can't turn around fast enough. But he does have attacks that will attack quickly behind him. Plus, he's the only character I know that can go head to head with all of Ganondorfs powerful attacks. All you need to know is when you play as Ness always be on the move. And jump alot. When you're in the air is when it's best to attack. Either attack yourself into an on comeing enemy or just stay far and high away from danger.
"I am the holder of time, the keeper of evil, and the masters of dragons......."   Tekkena

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2003, 07:31:58 AM »
My friend is an expert with Fox.  He uses his lasers very well (big advantage in bob-omb battles), and he knows how to control him without getting himself killed.  I'd say we're about equal in skill (though giving my personal opinion, I'd say I'm better ).  As for Marth. . . I just used him a lot.  I played nothing but Smash Bros for about 6 months, and I used Marth the whole way through.  I've lost practice with my counter attack, but that's it (need to reimprove my skills there).  I'm also very apt at keeping people in the air for very long periods of time, not giving them a chance to attack (though I avoid doing this, because I know that it's as annoying as heck).

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2003, 09:37:08 AM »
luigi owns his older bro

Thomas Paine

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2003, 12:02:55 PM »
All this useless online bragging...Another reason why HAL/Nintendo needs to do the sequel online.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2003, 02:25:34 PM »
Heh, I'd love to whoop all your tails

Just kidding.  Not to say that I couldn't , but I'm not going to say I can without any way of proving it.

Offline Luciferschild

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2003, 02:46:52 PM »
Ice climbers man, ice climbers rules

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2003, 03:01:52 PM »
And here's the guy that's saying he wants a dark and serious Zelda

Nah, I know what you mean.  Pichu rocks.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2003, 11:30:49 PM »
Pichu keeps killing himself. But extreamly deadly in the right hands. Such a small target it is not funny. Ducks under half the attacks.

Fox is hell to kill on a flat level.

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2003, 11:52:25 PM »
Pichu just damages himself all the time. Every time "it" (how do you know what XXX a pokemon is?) uses an electric attack it usually results in it dying cause it can hardly take any damage.

Dont you hate it how melee uses clones of other characters I mean why use Pichu (who damages itself) when you could use pikachu whos bigger, stronger and just plain old cooler. It's the same with Marth-Roy,Link-Young Link, Mario-Luigi-Dr. Mario, Fox-Falco, DK-Bowser (to an extent) and Ct. Falcon and Gannondorf (once again to an extent)

Why use a wierd useless stupid character when u can use there clone who's better but has practically the same moves.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MELEE CLONES?

p.s. (TO OOOOOHBOY ONLY)  Does your avatar look like you in real life? just curious. Damn u fine.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2003, 11:56:03 PM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
Pichu keeps killing himself.

It still hasn't been confirmed Pichu and other similar organisms can be considered "male," nor female.  Please refer to such genetic [freaks] as "it."

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2003, 12:57:30 AM »
well if you want to get into it, most pokemon can be either male or female (not Nido King/Queen, for obvious reasons and the robotesque pokemon like Voltorb etc)

ahh yes the science of pokemonology

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2003, 12:59:43 AM »
It still hasn't been confirmed Pichu and other similar organisms can be considered "male," nor female.  Please refer to such genetic [freaks] as "it."

Don't worry I will refer to strange organisms such as pokemon and that giant shim shiek as "it"

NOW WATTA BOUT MY CLONE QUESTION? don't you think that ninetndo could have done a better job as far as shortcuts and tagging goes?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2003, 02:56:07 AM »
Damn it 220man, you are not very perceptive are you? I can link you to an actual picture of me on file if you want.

Edit: Damn the file is gone off the PGC sver along with a million other photos.

Offline 220man

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2003, 02:58:34 AM »
gee, ummm okay.

keep it to PM,s now k?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2003, 07:45:40 AM »
220man, Pichu rocks.  Having it damage itself is half the challenge.  If you can win a battle with a player that hurts itself, that shows that you're really good.  However, it does have advantages over Pikachu, like shortness, speed, and the fact that most people ignore it.

I had to go back and type "it" after every time I typed "he". . .

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2003, 09:27:25 AM »
Um, last I checked, Pichu kinda sucks tier-wise. It hurts itself, has less power than Pika, and flies out of the ring easy. The only character that sucks worse than Pichu is Mew2...

Luigi is indeed a bit better than Mario is, since Mario is the well-rounded character of the game. Characters like him usually aren't top tier. But Dr. Mario owns them both, because he's got more power than the other two and his speed isn't really hindered like Roy to Marth or Ganondorf to Falcon. His Forward B move also reaches farther than Mario's, making it more effective for stopping attacks.

The known top tiers in the US from several tournament results are Sheik, Fox, Falco, Marth and Peach. It is being debated whether Pika, Dr. Mario and Samus are considered top notch though.

Later,

InfiniDragon
"For those with wings...fly to your dreams."

Offline Rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2003, 10:03:47 AM »
Dude, Mewtwo is awesome!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2003, 11:04:13 AM »
Mewtwo is very good if you can use him.

I'm not actually saying Pichu is that good; he's a weaker, but quicker, Pika clone.  However, being able to use him well just shows how good you are.  Just barely beating someone playing Pichu by using, say, Fox, is unimpressive.  Fox is much more powerful than Pichu, so the person playing with Pichu obviously has more skill, even though he lost.  Pichu is just a sign of skill.

Plus he's fun to beat up.  That's why I like him so much.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2003, 11:55:52 AM »
You guys don't seem to know much about the stats in Melee do you? Pichu's electric attacks do MORE damage that Pikachus...

220man - It's not that HAL was lazy when it came to the clones, it's because they didn't have enough time. SSBM was originally on track for a launch title, but they couldn't do that so they settled for just after GCN launch...If they had time they wouldn't do clones.

Same with Halo. Bungie had to cut both Co-op LAN play and bots to make the deadline.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2003, 12:32:05 PM »
Still both great games..........SSMB is better when playing straight up 4 player than Halo.

Anyways, I don't care about clones, there fine with me....there's enough different (speed power) to make a difference in your attack defense strategy.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2003, 04:24:13 PM »
I wouldn't even go so far as to call them clones.  I mean, sure they look and may appear to play similarly, but the differences in their gameplay mechanics can be endless.  The lighter but more powerful Pichu vs. the heavier but less powerful Pikachu.  Or the basic attacks of Mario to the more timely attacks of his "clone" in Luigi.  I just don't think it is fair to call them clones and blame it on HAL, saying they didn't work hard or long enough on the game.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2003, 05:42:49 PM »
Pichu actually has the greatest forward Smash of any of the Pokemon.  If you know how to play well with Pichu, you can avoid doing a lot of damage to yourself.  Pichu's major disadvantage (aside from the obvious) is his weight.  Pikachu gets tossed around, but not as badly as his pre-evolutionary counterpart.

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline Rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2003, 12:15:44 AM »
I wouldn't call Luigi a clone of Mario. He's based on him, but his moves are too different for him to be a real clone. Dr. Mario is Mario's official clone.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2003, 12:41:31 AM »
The Hammer Bros. could've easily been the Ice Climber clones. HOW BADASS WOULD THAT BE!!??

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2003, 01:32:11 AM »
Luigi is not a clone of Mario.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2003, 04:39:07 AM »
Nah, there were no clones in the first smash bros, and he was in that.  Their moves are similar, but heck, they're brothers.

Offline Monkey man

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2003, 08:00:04 AM »
Neo the hacker are you a real hacker?

I'm Monkey man

Offline Andi 28

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2003, 01:12:40 PM »
I wouldn't say clone
But I would say smiliar
However this is one of the only down sides of SSBM as most of the unlocked characters are smiliar to one's that you have from the start.
Another example of this is Link and little Link
Andi McCluskey
Editor of www.101games.co.uk &
I am currently playing: Desert Storm, SSBM & Resi

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2003, 01:48:40 PM »
But, does it really matter if they are similar?  I mean the differences in Link and Young Link can easily be found and exploited in gameplay.  I enjoyed being Young Link while I considered Link to sometimes be too cheap (when my friend can stand across the board and continuously shoot arrows at me, that's when I know it's a little cheap).  
-Kenny

Offline ShockingAlberto

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2003, 02:18:53 PM »
Wait a second - arrow shooting takes skill.  I've got it down to such an art that, while falling, I can hit people seven or eight feet away from me.  It doesn't do much damage, but it's a great psychological toy.

-- ShockingAlberto  
Press X to run.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2003, 04:05:27 PM »
ShockingAlberto, I couldn't agree more.  But when his (my friend's) entire arsenal cosisted of this, well, let's just say I got annoyed.
-Kenny

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2003, 04:39:01 PM »
Luigi is da sh_t.  

Don't mess with Luigi.  I rule just about every single person I know with him.  Bring on Melee 2, HAL, and have Luigi as a starting character.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2003, 05:23:14 PM »
My friend psychs me out with Fox's lasers.  I know it shouldn't bother me, especially when he only hits me once or twice every ten seconds, but it just drives me crazy for some reason.

Offline Geo_Cube2k2

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2003, 05:50:57 PM »
No one hear plays Mr. Game & Watch??
Man that guy is just to fun to play with. You can't beleive how I make fun at my friends (and sister) when I finally hit The Judgement Day #9, including for the win. And his taunt really puts a dent to my opponent's mentallity.
I also use Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Luigi, and Mario.
Then when I really need to flatter myself I use Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Marth, Roy, Fox, Falco basicly every character except for Donkey Kong, Ness, Cpn. Falcon, Bowser, and Peach.
SpongeBob Squarepants rulz...
Nuff' said.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2003, 02:22:03 AM »
Peach is my peach.  My sweetie.

Offline NThumb

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2003, 11:47:32 PM »
I really don't like playing Game and Wacth but he has attacks are really good for combos and jugleing. My best chatrater has to be Marth because i use his seed to beat up people. Plus he has great  A attacks.  

Offline CRiXy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2003, 11:37:03 PM »
Someone please tell me, HOW DO YOU USE LUIGI?!  He sucks, I can't use him, he was so much better on N64.
Live in BC? (GVRD)
Wanna trade some games?
Email or ICQ me!

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2003, 08:53:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
You guys don't seem to know much about the stats in Melee do you? Pichu's electric attacks do MORE damage that Pikachus...

By Pika having more power than Pichu I mean the ability to send them out of the ring. Pichu's electricity might do more damage, but Pika's Smash Up A alone owns every attack Pichu has easily.

Anyways, I just realized that I never posted who I actually play as. I use:

-Marth (Marth owns most everyone in this game!)
-Peach (Excellent air game, plus the only character in SSBM that lets you quote Albedo in Xenosaga. "Ma peche" is fun to say. )
-Sheik (Technically the best character in the game, but hey, I like Marth better.)
-Mario (Mario's just fun to use. I like playing as him for a challenge.)

Later,

InfiniDragon

Offline GameCuberZ

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2003, 05:50:49 AM »
I've mastered the uniqueness of Mr. Game & Watch.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2003, 05:49:10 PM »
I can use pretty much all the players except for the ice climbers.  They suck.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2003, 05:51:08 PM »
I agree with you.  Marth rulz.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2003, 06:55:12 PM »
Haha. I thought you posting to yourself there Shorty.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2003, 04:36:08 AM »
I like to use Yoshi. you can pull off some dirty combos with his headbutt, bicycle kick, butt stomp and knock people down when they try to get back on stage.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2003, 06:12:06 AM »
Marth may be the best in the game but he can be beaten, its the person who uses a character who has the skill not the characher, even with cheap c-stick smash moves over and over. It can be dodged and used against him
only people who suck are: pichu, gaw and bowser

Ninja "black" Dr mario for like foo'

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2003, 08:35:46 PM »
Don't forget Mew2. He sucks too, though not as bad as Pichu.

As for Marth, He's not considered the best character (he's getting really close though) but yes, he can be beaten. As with the other top tiers, you've gotta be able to play head games to take apart a Marth effectively. Though unlike the other top tiers, Marth has no counter character (Peach has Marth, Sheik has Falco and maybe Fox, Fox and Falco have Peach.) So yeah, I could see him knocking Sheik off her throne as top Smash character, but as I said above, no one's invincible in that game.  
Later,

InfiniDragon