Author Topic: Anime - Japanese vs English  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anime - Japanese vs English
« on: May 25, 2003, 01:47:28 AM »
No, I am not trying to start a thread about Japanese vs English dub in animes, but rather, I need some help.

I want to buy some anime DVDs, but am unsure whether to get the English version, or import the original Japanese version.  I definitely want to buy Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Cowboy Bebop:  Knockin on Heaven's Door.  My question is, are there any scenes edited out in the English version of these films?  I've been trying to do a search on it, but haven't come across a web site which list the difference.  Because if they are, I would much rather buy import the original Japanese version.

Also, what I don't like about English dubbing is it changes the content of what is spoken.  I am really fussy about things like that in foreign movies.  What I am asking is, if I get the original Japanese version, will the English subtitles be more exact to what is spoken as apposed to the English version?  Does anyone know?  Because I don't mind subtitles, I actually prefer them.

As for Cowboy Bebop:  Knockin on Heaven's Door, I don't know about the English version.  Only the Japanese version was shown in Australia.

Man, I really need to get off my ass and apply for that Japanese course in the city.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE: Anime - Japanese vs English
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 03:01:47 AM »
Don't DVDs usually have multiple langauges anyway? You would need to chosse. The english sub-title is not quite as accurate as the dub, but with the Japanese version, you can hear the original voice allowing you to get the feel right. I say subtitles all the way.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 04:18:07 AM »

Originally posted by: oohhboy
Don't DVDs usually have multiple langauges anyway?

I know they do, but I was asking "if I get the original Japanese version, will the English subtitles be more exact to what is spoken as apposed to the English version?" and if any scene were edited from the English version.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 05:07:08 AM »
Ah I see, I would go for the japanese version myself as it would be uncut, eg DBZ, english versions are usually cut up pretty badly, especially if it has lots of fan service/violence. But you might not have english speech support. But you most likely have the sub-titles. As for the translation, Japanese and english are quite different, so the translation would be taken into context and the sub-titles are should be the same as the english version.

If I was to vote on it, Japanese version everytime.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 05:37:27 AM »
most anime DVD have a subtitle track more specific to the Japanese dialouge, rather than a caption track for the dub.

Some recent DVD's have 2 subtitle tracks, a literal translation track, and the subtitle track to go along with the dub.

you are in australia, so I don't know much about the industry over there and how they do it, but this is how they do it in north america
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 07:25:29 AM »
Sub>Dub 'nough said...
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2003, 01:53:15 PM »
Depends on what sort of movie you want. The Miyazaki movies are dubbed and subbed incredibly well. I don't think anything has been cut from it...

However, series like DragonBall Z are butched by dubbing and cutting. I import my DBZ. I don't trust anything dubbed or subbed by Bandai, either.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »
I have the dubbed Princess Mononoke, and it's REALLY good.  Not having seen the subbed version though, I don't know if the translation was as true as it could have been.  I have seen both the dubbed and the subbed Spirited Away, and IMO, either version is just as good.

The voice acting in both the English and Japanese versions of these movies are top notch though.  I don't think I can really choose between them.  I would pick the English versions though, simply so that you can concentrate more on the artwork.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2003, 03:41:13 PM »
Well, the majority of Anime DVDs I have base the English subtitles on the Japanese language track. Only one doesn't, and that's ShadowSkill... But that's a terrible movie anyway
Watching the anime with the English dub and sub at the same time can often be confusing. It's amazing how many times the English dub will chuck a "f*ck" or "sh*t" in for the hell of it.

As for edited scenes... Never. Not even mainstream anime like DBZ gets scenes cut out when it is released on DVD (unlike when it's shown on TV, chop-o-rama)

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 03:51:03 PM »
Specifically with Spirited Away, do NOT get the Japanese DVD.  It's got a terrible red tint that is very distracting, and was fixed for the US release.

That said, all of the domestic Studio Ghibli releases have been quite excellent, and have wonderful voice acting.  I wouldn't hesitate to get any of them.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2003, 07:09:22 PM »
Disney has done a great job with the english releases of the ghibli films.  The dubs are fantastic.

before anyone downs them for not having more out...

keep in mind the contract states disney can't put out the DVD release in the USA till they do in Japan.  DIsney went toe-to-toe with Ghibli with princess mononoke to get the japanese language track on the DVD, because it was against the origional contract.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2003, 01:27:40 AM »
I wish Totoro was My Neighbor.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2003, 09:33:19 AM »
It depends on how well the sub/dub is.  seriously, it differs too much between anime's to try.

In the case of "X" (the TV show) both were done incredibly, incredibly well.  Well enough that i didn't mind switching to japanese halfway through the series so i could finish it a few months early >.>

but, in Evangelion, the fansub my friend has is horrendous, to the point that i couldn't finish it.  
another friend of mine has the official american DVD's, where the english voice acting is great.

However.. I *MUST* recommend "X" its the best anime I've seen, and the amount of anime I've seen is steadily increasing to quite a big number.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2003, 02:26:56 PM »
I downloaded Cowboy Bebop, awesome movie, but I still intend to buy it.  As for Spirited Away, I'm borrowing watching that as soon as my friend gets it back from his sister.  Aside from that, though, I'm not a big anime dude, and the only other animes I've seen on DVD are Hyper Police (dumb as heck, but the dubbing is okay), Princess Mononoke (very good dubbing), and Akira (pretty good dubbing).  As for scenes not being on the DVD, I doubt it, since they usually include deleted scenes as a bonus in DVDs anyway.  If anything, there'll be more.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2003, 01:37:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

With Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door, I don't have a choice as the Japanese DVD only contains Japanese with NO subtitles.  I just found out after a big of searching.

I've decided to get the limited edition Spirited Away DVD when it's released in Australia next month.  Looks like I'lll have to import Princess Mononoke.  Can't find it in my country...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2003, 12:44:37 PM »
You could always go to your nearest China Town and invest in some bootleg anime DVD's

They always contain fansubbed English subs (and Chinese), but it's often a lucky dip on how good they are. For instance, I have a bootlegged copy of Star Ocean EX, and it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell what's going on. The subs are THAT BAD. Yet my copy of Strawberry Eggs has perfect subs.

*Shrugs shoulders*