Author Topic: Name your top 3 albums of the year (so far)  (Read 4494 times)

Offline ZabeMusic

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stephen's Fantastic Blog of Thoughts
Name your top 3 albums of the year (so far)
« on: July 22, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
We're roughly halfway through the year, so let's have a look-see at our favourite albums so far, shall we? Follow the template below.

1. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

I love this album. Killer Mike does his thing, opening the album with "Hardcore G ****, homie, I don't play around / Ain't **** sweet 'bout the peach, this Atlanta clown". This sets the tone for the entire album, being an unabashed showcase of the brashness of Mike and producer El-P. When the first song, Big Beast, is the worst song on the album, yet still is the best hip-hop single of the year, you know the album has to be legendary.

Best song: JoJo's Chillin'

2. Ab-Soul - Control System

Top Dawg Entertainment, home of artists like Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q and Jay Rock, has a secret weapon. His name is Ab-Soul. The first thing I will say about this album is that Soul's ear for beats is excellent. When I listen to each song, I feel that the beat is perfect for the song. The one song that shows this the most is "The Book of Soul". A tribute to his deceased girlfriend, the song's beat evokes the exact tone he was going for, and honestly, I don't think there's any other song that made me shed a tear (it was just a little one, bro, um, TITS!).

Best song: The Book of Soul

3. Nas - Life Is Good

This album is the best of Nas' three Def Jam releases by far. He seems to be really focused on this project and not bending to the commercial will of his label bosses. This is also one of his most personal album, describing his problems with ex-wife Kelis. But, unlike someone like Eminem, Nas doesn't paint his ex-wife in a bad light. In an odd way, it feels like he's matured, and this is his tenth album. Main producers No I.D. and Salaam Remi do a great job behind the boards, and although there are a few missteps along the way ("Summer On Smash" mostly), this album is up there with Nas' best.

Best song: World's an Addiction (feat. Anthony Hamilton)

Honourable Mentions:

Frank Ocean - Channel ORANGE
Big K.R.I.T. - Live from the Underground
Large Professor - Professor @ Large

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Name your top 3 albums of the year (so far)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »
Frank Ocean is over rated. He has a couple of good songs and a superb voice, but he just can't put together a full album that really holds my attention or feels either consistent or cohesive.

R. Kelly's new album is a classic though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ZabeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:23:13 PM »
Frank Ocean is over rated. He has a couple of good songs and a superb voice, but he just can't put together a full album that really holds my attention or feels either consistent or cohesive.

R. Kelly's new album is a classic though.
I wasn't really a big fan of Ocean until this album to be honest. I never listened to Nostalgia Ultra.

R. Kelly... I'm sorry, but I can't take him seriously after the whole pissing on children thing.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
Hard to name 3 top albums of the year since music has sucked for the past 15 years or so.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ZabeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
Hard to name 3 top albums of the year since music has sucked for the past 15 years or so.
You're not a rap fan then, are you?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »
I'm not a rap fan at all, and pretty much all of my favorite music is from the last 15 years. There's some great stuff there, you just have to get past the top 40 garbage and into the real music.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ZabeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
I rarely venture into that realm. I listen to 3 non-rap acts and that's it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
Metric : Synthetica
Fun : Some Nights
Gotye: Making Mirrors

Its worth noting that Marilyn Manson, Ministry, and Lords of Acid each had album releases this year. This has been a tremendous year in music so far.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
R. Kelly... I'm sorry, but I can't take him seriously after the whole pissing on children thing.

It was one 16 year old girl. And lots of people are in to golden showers. A quick google search will tell you that. (I wouldn't recommend it, though.) Besides, what he does in his private life has nothing to do with the music.

Offline ZabeMusic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »

It was one 16 year old girl. And lots of people are in to golden showers. A quick google search will tell you that. (I wouldn't recommend it, though.) Besides, what he does in his private life has nothing to do with the music.
I suppose, but I ain't heard good things about his recent stuff.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »
Frank Ocean ranks higher on there than R Kelly...

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:07 AM »
Which is why I described him as over rated. ;) R. Kelly's album has a really oldschool sound to it, so I wouldn't expect it to get great reviews. He doesn't really show his singing talents so much as his music making ability.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 11:44:21 AM »
1. Killer Mike's R.A.P. Music is genius. EL-P is a wizard.

2. Bill Evans' Live at Art D'Lugoff's Top of the Gate. I love the release of this album. It's rare when old Jazz previously unfound concerts are actually good, but when they are they are well worth it. This one is totally worth it. Double Album and Bill Evans is great live.

3. Aesop Rock's Skelethon. Just another good Aesop Rock Album.

(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»