Author Topic: 2012.  (Read 12160 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
I seriously think we may be approaching the end of humanity as we know it.

There are currently two videos making their rounds on Youtube.  They're 'music' videos.  I use the term 'music' very generously.  It's kinda like calling a triple rape/homicide an assault.

Now, because I have sympathy for my fellow forum goers, I'm not going to even link to the two videos.  In fact, if anyone links to one of the two videos, I'm going to give you a three day ban. :D

Seriously, I had to watch Friday to get these horrible images out of my head.

Why would anyone do this?  Maybe it's terrorists.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: 2012.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
Metallica and Ja Rule once did a song together, and I defy you to find a worse song than that

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
Three Second Rule.  Look it up.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:31:58 AM »
oh god this sounds offkey or something  hurrurghhlll

We Did It Again is still worse though!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
"We Built This City" came out in 1985 and the world survived.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
I am actively rooting for the end of the world.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
Quit being a trolling cock tease and post the goods, then 3day ban yourself for being a terrible poster.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
Quit being a trolling cock tease and post the goods, then 3day ban yourself for being a terrible poster.

I agree. Self titillation is the way to go.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »
Since Dick Clark is dead, we can't count down to the new year, so technically it will be 2012 forever, and thus the world will end in 2012.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
Hey, I like "We Built This City".  Though I will admit I don't remember the video and the lyrics make little sense.

Since Dick Clark is dead, we can't count down to the new year, so technically it will be 2012 forever, and thus the world will end in 2012.
Set Point.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »

I always liked to pretend they were singing "We Built This Shitty"
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »

I've seen that picture too.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
This is going to be just like last time UncleBob presented a mystery of his own making. Absolutely no follow through.

So, I got this e-mail the other day...
Hey TheUncleBob,

1 of the 500 lucky ones!! The Mystery Flavor activity is over, and Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner, you were chosen!! You are one of the 500 that will be receiving a delicious taste test can with a mystery DEW flavor. They will start arriving in a couple of weeks, and here's what we want YOU to do:

Tweet/Post on Facebook: We want you to cover every step, and tell the world what DEW sent you!
    Video: We want to see your OFFICIAL TASTE TEST on Facebook and in DEW Labs' Mystery Flavor Video activity!
    DEW Labs: Login, post on our Mystery Flavor Reax discussion that we will share with the rest of DEW Labs on what you THINK!

We want YOU to tell the world about your experience in these three easy ways and tell the world how much YOU love DEW!

So... what did I get in the mail today?

Gonna get some friends together and try it out.  Wonder if it'll be any good. :D

Ban him until he puts out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
lol, *digital High Five Oohhboy* Nice turn about.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Got him.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
"We Built This City" is a funny choice for Worst Song Ever but it's catchy and is not in any way painful to listen to.  The really bad part about it is that lyrics have a "keepin' it real" anti-sellout theme, when the song itself is total corporate pop-rock by a band that used to be a bunch of anti-establishment hippies.  The song is unintentionally hilarious.  The thing is I can listen to a song like that and enjoy myself in a MST3K kind of way.  I imagine it was pretty horrible when the song was current to hear it everyday but today, it's fine.

The worst for me is when a pop song is annoying.  "Who Let the Dogs Out?" is probably the worst pop song I've ever heard because it has no humour value.  It's just annoying and thus painful to listen to.  And it can stuck in your head so the pain of the song lingers (I'll bet me just mentioning it has shoved it in your head).

I can't stand to listen to Nickleback but their songs thankfully don't get stuck in my head.  That's actually related to my whole problem with them.  They have the sludgy grunge-lite sound but with none of the hooks that made bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam popular.  Their songs are not memorable or notable in any way.  It's like they've made a career out of bad Soundgarden filler tracks.  Painful to listen to but impossible for me to remember.

The worst music is non-melodic stuff which is really why I hate nu-metal so much as it seems to lack a melody.  I actually dislike thrash metal for much of the same reason.  Still the worst song ever is Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed.  The whole album is literally one song, split over four sides of a double LP, that consists entirely of looping guitar feedback.  I can't imagine anyone sitting down and listening to the whole thing.  It sounds like loud heavy machinery malfunctioning.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »
Hopefully the world won't end in 2012, because if it does then that won't give us very much time to play with our Wii U's.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
What's funny is that when I think of the idea of world ending in 2012 I think to myself "I'm only 30.  I don't even have any kids yet.  I've got a lot of life left to live.  It seems unfair to not get a chance to live it while someone who was lucky enough to be born 40 years earlier got to live a full life."  But thinking about it SOMEONE has to have the world end on them while they're still young so I can't really argue that it's unfair since no matter what someone will have that happen to them.  Someone will have the misfortune of being born within 50 years or so of the end of the world.

The only possible exception would be if humanity ended like in Children of Men where the human race slowly dies out due to mass sterility.  In that case everyone will die out when their time comes regardless of when they were born.  But even then younger people would feel it would be unfair that the previous generation got to have children and they can't.  The morale of the story?  Life is unfair.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:00:44 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
Ironically, I would be happy if the world suddenly just end.  I wouldn't have to worry about my family needing me after I was gone or them going before me.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 02:20:40 PM »
I've had a decent life so far. I've experienced quite a bit in the short amount of time I've been on this earth. It ending is fine by me.

The question is, would I rather know when I end or not?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
Ironically, I would be happy if the world suddenly just end.  I wouldn't have to worry about my family needing me after I was gone or them going before me.

I agree... I'm not saying I want the world to end, but if it is going to end it is better if it happens quickly and as painlessly as possible.

But the way I can see the world ending in the near future based on whats happening in world news is maybe someone is going to start a war with Iran over their nuclear thing, and then at the same time while the U.S. is distracted with that North Korea might take the opportunity to invade South Korea, and then China might also get involved and invade Taiwan and with all that going on it would be a huge mess and nuclear weapons would probably get involved.

That's the most plausible way I can think of for how the world could end this year. Unfortunately if that does happen it isn't going to be quick or painless.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 03:05:59 PM »

I've seen that picture too.
And what picture would that be?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »
I don't have it anymore, but it had that exact sentence on it on memebase.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »
Well then that's one of those one in a million things, I've never even heard of memebase. I'm sure I'm not the only person that has made such a comment, the joke basically makes itself.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
The question is, would I rather know when I end or not?

Knowing when it comes could be pretty scary.  As you closed in on the date it would probably eat at you.  "Oh man, I die seven months from today."  Bleh.  Though in the film Big Fish the main character claims that as a kid he did find out how he was going to die from a witch.  In that situation, though, he knew it was a long way off and it made him feel optimistic about anything that was potentially life threatening because he knew that THIS isn't what gets him.  If you knew you died peacefully in your sleep at 90 as a happy man without any period of ill health then that would probably be nice to know.  Finding out that you die next year by being murdered by who you thought was your best friend would suck.  It's only to nice to know if the news is good.  Anything else would push you into despair.

Of course this assumes you can't change things.  If you do something to avoid a bad death that would be good to know.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
If I knew when I would end I could blow all my potential.  Run up Credit cards.  See places I want to see.  Do things that would be terrible for me in the Longterm.  Tell everyone exactly what I think of them.  In general go on a Rampage.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
The worst music is non-melodic stuff which is really why I hate nu-metal so much as it seems to lack a melody.  I actually dislike thrash metal for much of the same reason.  Still the worst song ever is Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed.  The whole album is literally one song, split over four sides of a double LP, that consists entirely of looping guitar feedback.  I can't imagine anyone sitting down and listening to the whole thing.  It sounds like loud heavy machinery malfunctioning.

I like Metal Machine Music. I've listened to it all the way through a bunch of times. I also like a lot of Noise music though. I almost hate the rest of Lou Reed's output though, the Velvet Underground are okay I guess, but his most of his solo stuff is garbage and don't let me get started on Lulu.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »
Ian, I can see it eating someone if they were anxious about dying in the first place, but if you weren't I don't think you would mind, even if you were to be killed by your best friend.

For instance, I don't believe death is the end to everything. To quote one of my favorite movies, I think death is "the road to awe". No matter what you believe, even if you believe in nothing, there is enough proof that even if all we did was eat a dirt sandwich, our brains would still be firing for quite a bit while doped up on DMT and our death wouldn't be one where we simply turn off but a dream (or nightmare) that could last forever.

If you believe in other things, then (mostly) our bodies are cages for our souls and we're being set free. Many people believe that to be a good thing.

If I had to really pick why people fear death, then I think what most people fear most is the pain. Fear of pain is natural and necessary. It's why we avoid making reckless decisions. I'm afraid of pain. The pain of death while healthy is sure to be severe and traumatic unless you simply OD or something then it could be awesome. But yeah, whenever I'm in a plane and experience severe turbulence where I lift out of my seat for a second, I'm not afraid I'm going to die, I am afraid that if the plane were going to crash it would hurt a ****-ton.

Also I think people fear death because of time. Death is scary because of regrets, maybe things you wish you had said or did but didn't and the lack of ability to fulfill your potential or take in all you wanted. It becomes scary because it ends your time. This train of thought I can empathize with because people who believe this life is all there is will fear death in the end because there is no continuation. This is all you get, so make the most out of it. I don't believe in that, but even if I did there's always that flood DMT to look forward to.

So I think I would rather know when I died then not. Unlike Ceric, as funny as it would be, I wouldn't go balls to the wall and try to do everything before I died. Sure I'd enjoy the masterpieces that hang in the castle and flowers that blossom in the fields but I'd lose track of the drops of oil in my spoon. Instead, I'd probably do what I'm doing now...enjoy the grandeur of life at its calmest and most uneventful. I'd probably book one trip though and that would be the place I'd want to die if I could choose. Luckily, I already know it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:01:44 PM by Stogi »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
I want my tombstone to say "My body lie, but still I roam." I'm sure James Hetfield will probably have it too...still debating if I want to add the "yeah yeeaaah" part.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
If the world were to end you wouldn't be able to have a Tombstone because no one would be around to put it up, but it also wouldn't matter because no one would be around to read it either.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
I think people fear death because of uncertainty.  No one knows what happens and that is scary.  Maybe you'll just cease to exist and it won't matter, maybe you'll go to Heaven, maybe you'll exist as a ghost.  Those aren't so bad.  But maybe you'll go to Hell, maybe it'll be fully aware nothingness for all eternity.  There are possibilities that sound horrible.  That's the fear.  Regardless of what you think of any afterlife, regardless of how confident you are in that belief, what if you're wrong and post-death is actually horrible?

I like Metal Machine Music. I've listened to it all the way through a bunch of times. I also like a lot of Noise music though. I almost hate the rest of Lou Reed's output though, the Velvet Underground are okay I guess, but his most of his solo stuff is garbage and don't let me get started on Lulu.

Yes, I imagine anyone who likes Metal Machine Music would not like anything else Lou Reed has done.  :)

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
I think people fear death because of uncertainty.  No one knows what happens and that is scary.  Maybe you'll just cease to exist and it won't matter, maybe you'll go to Heaven, maybe you'll exist as a ghost.  Those aren't so bad.  But maybe you'll go to Hell, maybe it'll be fully aware nothingness for all eternity.  There are possibilities that sound horrible.  That's the fear.  Regardless of what you think of any afterlife, regardless of how confident you are in that belief, what if you're wrong and post-death is actually horrible?

Maybe your right, uncertainty maybe why people fear death. But I think that's a cowards way at looking at it, especially if they are confident in their beliefs.. It's a journey that everyone must take, so why fear it?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »

Maybe your right, uncertainty maybe why people fear death. But I think that's a cowards way at looking at it, especially if they are confident in their beliefs.. It's a journey that everyone must take, so why fear it?
See the offshoot of that is I really hold no fear of death itself.  It will happen.  I have a fear of the rest of my life instead and waiting so long for real answers.

Though I'm not really to afraid of heights, but I am afraid of losing things from heights (I wear glasses.) I'm not afraid of small spaces but I'm terrified of being stuck.  I'm not afraid of death but I'm afraid of shurking my living responsibilities.

Its just perspective.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 01:58:14 AM »
I really don't understand the seeming hatred for "We built this City".  Maybe it was just before my time, but I really liked the song when it popped up in The Muppets.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »
I wonder if uncleboob was talking about Nicki Minaj videos. Because they can be loosely described as music too.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
But I want to watch my son grow up!!!! Can we stop the timeline but not how we age?

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 07:35:07 PM »
If the Mayans couldn't predict their own downfall why should anyone take what they say about the end of the world seriously? they don't even predict the end of the world the calendar just stops.

At least we'll know what the most popular pick-up line of the year will be.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
If the Mayans couldn't predict their own downfall

Actually they did. Supposedly they also predicted the arrival of the Spanish long before they came, but by the time the Spanish arrived the Mayan world had largely already collapsed... but they did predict their collapse.

You could argue it was a self fullfilling prophecy and that by believing it was going to happen they actually made it happen, but either way their prediction was correct.

What made you say they didn't predict their own downfall? Are you just assuming that for no reason?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:06:06 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Some people assume that because they, you know, died out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
Some people assume that because they, you know, died out.

People who make that assumption also are assuming that they could have done anything about it. Just because you know your time is up doesn't mean you can stop it.

Let's assume the world does end in 2012 and there are many of us who saw it coming because we took the Mayan prophecy serious. Okay, but what the hell are we going to do? At this point we don't even know how it will end, so how can we make any plans? Let's say its an asteroid or a mini black hole that smashes into the Earth and that's what does us all in. What the hell can we do about it? You can't escape a catastrophe that effects the entire planet. Maybe if we had a way to get to Mars some of us might escape and survive, but space exploration has always been given a low priority by the government. The bottom line is if there is something which destroys the Earth our species will be extinct because all our eggs are in one basket.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:25:50 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 08:17:11 PM »
I refuse to let the world end until UncleBob finish will his last mystery.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:39 PM »
Regardless the Mayans never actually predicted the end of the world. The calendar just ends so we're really just spinning our wheels talking about this in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:33:15 PM by Lithium »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/05/120510-maya-2012-doomsday-calendar-end-of-world-science?source=link_fb05102012saturnomuralmaya

That doesn't really contradict their prediction though, because according to the Maya the world goes through periodic cycles of destruction and rebirth and we are now in like the 5th cycle or something like that. What 2012 means is that this cycle is going to come to an end, but it doesn't mean its the end of everything. Clearly some people will survive and might face a world not unlike that of Fallout 3, but thousands of years in the future if that's what this mural depicts, it would mean the world has healed and is well into its next cycle.

What the Maya believe about the world going through cycles of death and rebirth is supported by periodic extinction events throughout the fossil record. Actually, even the Bible supports the Mayan view of cycles when you consider the supposed great flood which only Noah and his family survived.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:57:33 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
The Mayans didn't know that time doesn't exist.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »
If time doesn't exist wouldn't everything be motionless?
is your sanity...

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2012, 01:22:06 AM »
I'm going to say no, but I have to say that you would be right.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »
Time doesn't exist so much as constant change exists. Time measures change. Though you could argue the force of change is time, which would be valid. Time is relative though.

Anyhow, in all likelihood there could be a bad thing happening in 2012. Not major as in existance ending, but it would disrupt the world economy and possibly end some world regimes. The Sun does this thing where it releases Solar flares, the suns been pretty active lately and has been releasing them. The Earth however is protected from these by its magnetic field. However, the Earth has these momentary glitches every 1000 or so years where the magnetic field either turns off or gets super weak. If there is a weakspot in the field and a solar flare hits the earth the least that can happen is it knocks out the world wide power grid, the worse that could happen is a bunch of people get fried.

the second scenario is always nuclear war, though id be more worried about North Korea than Iran.

so in these 2 scenarios there comes to be a Mad Max like scenario.

the 3rd scenario is some sort of global plague accident. Last year some scientists created this super flu which could kill off most of the population. I've also heard scientists say they could create a real zombie plague(more like 28 days Later than Romero) if they wanted to. So, theres that.

If i wasn't killed off in this scenario, I could see myself doing rather well in the situation. I'm not a conventional thinker and thus would be pretty innovative.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post