Author Topic: The Legend of Korra [Season 4 airs in Jan/Feb for Australia]  (Read 124439 times)

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Korra [Season 4 airs in Jan/Feb for Australia]
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2015, 02:42:15 AM »
Glad to see you joining the discussion, Azeke. Nothing much to say to what you've said besides that I largely agree with your sentiment.

Just something I wanted to share with you all is something I'm sure everyone can appreciate:

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/2rfbaz/atla_im_remastering_all_of_atla_heres_tophs_intro/

This dude is "remastering" the original show by removing the hideous ghosting and interlacing from the original DVD cut. If you click that link he has plenty of comparison shots and a short video of Toph's fight against The Boulder and its crazy how much better it looks. When the 10th anniversary of the first episode of Avatar comes around (this Feb. 2st) I hope he's done by then so I can rewatch it that way.

Speaking of the rewatch, I was wondering if anyone wanted to do an Avatar rewatch starting on the 21st. We can could a designated amount of episodes once and week and then discuss them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:27 AM »
Yeah, I'd consider Book Two: Spirits to be fairly mediocre without Beginnings Part 1 and Part 2 too though I don't think it's fair to separate it. The rest of the season is pretty good after those episodes so it props up the terrible start yet leaves the season ultimately very uneven.

I was genuinely shocked when the Dark Avatar destroyed Raava. And I'm glad that the writers didn't completely cop out to that (like they did in the previous season with Korra restoring Lin's bending and such). Even though Korra ultimately saves/frees Raava, there were still real consequences to Raava being initially destroyed. That said, I liked the finale. I think it would have worked well functionally as a finale to the entire show (had it ended there) though it works particularly well in regards to the rest of the show. It acts as a soft reboot as the entire world changes and Korra no longer has any connection to her past lives. Aang constantly looked to Roku (and Kyoshi a bit) for guidance whereas Korra no longer had that resource. I think that added to what made Book Three: Change so good. As the Avatar, she's on her own. She's functionally the new Wan (while also undoing his decision to close the spirit portals), the new first Avatar. And while Wan felt like he failed by the end of his life, Korra didn't by the end of the show. I feel like she's more content, she had made the world a better, more peaceful place. So Book Two: Spirits when viewed alone is perhaps not great though I try to look it as the first act of a three act story.

Anyway, I'd be down for rewatching Avatar: The Last Airbender though I believe February 21 is around the time Netflix releases the third season of House of Cards so I suppose after that, I'd be down for rewatching and discussion.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2015, 08:08:32 AM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/2rfbaz/atla_im_remastering_all_of_atla_heres_tophs_intro/

This dude is "remastering" the original show by removing the hideous ghosting and interlacing from the original DVD cut. If you click that link he has plenty of comparison shots and a short video of Toph's fight against The Boulder and its crazy how much better it looks. When the 10th anniversary of the first episode of Avatar comes around (this Feb. 2st) I hope he's done by then so I can rewatch it that way.
While this is appreciated -- artefacting on official DVDs for Book 1 and 2 literally hurts my eyes, releasing it that way was a crime, i think this work is redundant.

There are TVRips and Web-rips (from iTunes and the like) of ATLA without artefacts and with video quality better than DVD.

Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »

While this is appreciated -- artefacting on official DVDs for Book 1 and 2 literally hurts my eyes, releasing it that way was a crime, i think this work is redundant.

There are TVRips and Web-rips (from iTunes and the like) of ATLA without artefacts and with video quality better than DVD.

Really? The TVRips I know are quite good, but every time I ever bought an episode from an online distributer it was even worse than the DVD copies.

The reason why I'm digging this is so I can get the best quality possible and burn them to Blu-Rays so I can make a custom ATLA remastered boxset.

I was genuinely shocked when the Dark Avatar destroyed Raava. And I'm glad that the writers didn't completely cop out to that (like they did in the previous season with Korra restoring Lin's bending and such). Even though Korra ultimately saves/frees Raava, there were still real consequences to Raava being initially destroyed. That said, I liked the finale. I think it would have worked well functionally as a finale to the entire show (had it ended there) though it works particularly well in regards to the rest of the show. It acts as a soft reboot as the entire world changes and Korra no longer has any connection to her past lives. Aang constantly looked to Roku (and Kyoshi a bit) for guidance whereas Korra no longer had that resource. I think that added to what made Book Three: Change so good. As the Avatar, she's on her own. She's functionally the new Wan (while also undoing his decision to close the spirit portals), the new first Avatar. And while Wan felt like he failed by the end of his life, Korra didn't by the end of the show. I feel like she's more content, she had made the world a better, more peaceful place. So Book Two: Spirits when viewed alone is perhaps not great though I try to look it as the first act of a three act story.

You're right, that part is one of my favorite moments of the show. I know quite a few people that didn't like that they "killed" off the previous Avatars but I think it was best for Korra's character development.

What I disliked was the very bad fight between Unavaatu and Giant!Korra. Not the mention the asspull with Jinora that even the creators have no idea what she did. Ugh.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 22, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »

From the Book 3 artbook.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 06, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
So a guy on reddit edited Zuko's journey from season one and two into a 2 hour and 50 minute film. It's pretty good besides a few choice editing decisions.

Here's the link to the thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/38t5hi/atla_avatar_prince_of_the_fire_nation_part_i_i/

And here's the link to the film [Mega.co.nz link]: https://mega.co.nz/#!B1IxGLQI!NhCGe1m8kEmXCbSnzLHO29r4ne9dVK34naD0-pFfBiY