Author Topic: The Binding of Isaac: Super Meat Zelda  (Read 2442 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
The Binding of Isaac: Super Meat Zelda
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:34:26 PM »
This thread comes a bit late but I've clocked 36 hours now and figure I should start a thread before the Humble Bundle with the game ends.

The Binding of Isaac was designed by Edmund McMillen, you may know him from Super Meat Boy, Time Fcuk and Gish. It's strongly based on the first Legend of Zelda but takes a different approach to the formula: It's kinda like a roguelike. Well, in structure. It's random generated, you dive into a dungeon to beat the boss at the end and if you die you lose the game and have to start over. Unlike real roguelikes it's an action-based game and a run doesn't take more than an hour (often much less, depending on how long you survive).

Like Super Meat Boy it's both hard and gross: You'll take dozens of tries to beat the game even once and then it just unlocks more crazy stuff so you'll want to replay it right away. But you're also a little boy caught in his nightmare world, just before his mother will kill him. Naked and unarmed. Your only weapon are the tears you cry which can kill the various monstrosities (which are often clearly ex-human) of the dungeons. Blood and feces are everywhere. Urine is a weapon too. Upgrade items turn you more and more into a mutant or a demon. Yet, like Meat Boy, it's drawn in a cute way that makes the nightmare world not as horrible as it may sound.

The game is also hilarious, with tons of videogame and pop culture references among its over 100 items.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: The Binding of Isaac: Super Meat Zelda
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised when it popped up in the current Humble Bundle. I had already made my purchase before it was added, even. Luckily, I didn't pick up Isaac on Steam beforehand.

I haven't played more than a few hours, but have definitely enjoyed it so far. The gameplay and structure are clearly inspired by the original (and best) Zelda game. They don't hide the fact either, as the game revels in references and nods to the franchise.

The art is a lot grosser than Super Meat Boy. It's also cute and appealing though, so I doubt it'll really turn anyone off. I haven't found the gameplay to be very hard, either. It's certainly not on the same level as Super Meat Boy was.

The only negative is that the story is too realistic to just be fun. :\
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
Huh.  The trailer I saw made me think this was just a shooter.  The Zelda comparison makes it more interesting, but I think the grossness is just over the line of what I can stand.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
The shooter element is definitely there. It's like Zelda mixed with Smash TV. :)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Wait, this was in the Humble Bundle? The FrozenByte one? I think they've added like half a dozen games to it since I bought it, but I'd never heard of any of them; I just bought it to support the cause. I need to go back and check this out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
It has actually turned out to be one of the better Humble Bundles.