Author Topic: Random Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread  (Read 40271 times)

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Random Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:58:29 PM »
A thread for questions that don't deserve their own thread. I often find myself wondering about something and can't always just google the answer for easy results.

Anyone ever hear of a news reporter getting fired for the way they did an interview or story?

And does anyone know the exact origin of powned?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Random Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
Shouldn't vagina be spelled with a j? Furthermore, shouldn't it b spelled with a spanish j?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »

Do you mean "pwn'd" and it's variants? It's a pretty obvious deviation of "owned", with roots in leetspeak. I'd wager to bet that the word was originally little more than a typo, as the p and the o are right next to each other on your standard English keyboard.

Upon looking it up, it seems that there might be some history for the usage being more along the lines of "pawned", which is a chess term that describes being put into check by a pawn. Either way, the implication is that of a rather humiliating defeat.

The more you know! ;)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
Shouldn't vagina be spelled with a j? Furthermore, shouldn't it b spelled with a spanish j?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sLHWZnhk4

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »
Do you think that we can reconstruct Zach's wife from a picture of his newest Babe?

"Anyone ever hear of a news reporter getting fired for the way they did an interview or story?"
I know this has happened from different history specials but I can't remember a specific example.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
Anyone ever hear of a news reporter getting fired for the way they did an interview or story?

NBC fired journalist Peter Arnett for an interview with state-run Iraqi TV. On a somewhat related note, Geraldo got kicked out of Iraq... turned out to be the exact same day too.

CNN's Rick Sanchez fired was fired as an interviewee. And there's always good ole Dan Rather.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:00:16 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks this should be a Funhouse thread?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the answers. Zap do you know the particular reasons why they got fired?

Am I the only one that thinks this should be a Funhouse thread?

This can go in the fun house, but the questions I will be asking will be totally serious.

RomanceDawn

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »
I could tell you but I could get banned. Google them.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
Oh right, politics! Sorry!

RomanceDawn

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
It's not because of politics; I told Zap I'd ban him if he posted anything genuinely helpful instead of the humorous remarks he's usually known for.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
So the legend of the 3 Golden Goddesses and the Triforce has been passed down from generation to generation by the Royal Family of Hyrule for hundreds of years. What if the legend is wrong? What if the Goddesses and the Triforce are actually evil? I mean, the Triforce is keeping the series' most evil man in existence alive to wreak havoc. The people of Hyrule, especially Zelda and the Royal Family, worship the Triforce as this great gift from the gods, but I feel like Hyrule would be much better and more prosperous without it. It's nothing but trouble. Nayru, Din and Farore created life on that planet to troll them for eternity and gave them a gift that's pretty much the source of everyone's misery. The plots of most Zelda games typically revolve around those piece of **** triangles fucking things up every hundred years. Worst MacGuffin ever.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:20 AM »
The only story of make believe anyone can ever count on is One Piece. Never ever try to make sense of anything else.

Can someone tell me exactly what anti aliasing is? Did I even spell it right? And do any games do this really well today what ever it is?

RomanceDawn

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 07:31:27 AM »
So the legend of the 3 Golden Goddesses and the Triforce has been passed down from generation to generation by the Royal Family of Hyrule for hundreds of years. What if the legend is wrong? What if the Goddesses and the Triforce are actually evil? I mean, the Triforce is keeping the series' most evil man in existence alive to wreak havoc. The people of Hyrule, especially Zelda and the Royal Family, worship the Triforce as this great gift from the gods, but I feel like Hyrule would be much better and more prosperous without it. It's nothing but trouble. Nayru, Din and Farore created life on that planet to troll them for eternity and gave them a gift that's pretty much the source of everyone's misery. The plots of most Zelda games typically revolve around those piece of **** triangles fucking things up every hundred years. Worst MacGuffin ever.
There are certain elements in Wind Waker and Twlight Princess' story that seem to support that interpretation e.g. nearly every Ganon monolgue in Wind Waker.

In particular, there's Ganon's assertion that the gods had destroyed the people of Hyrule.   When one of the sages related the scene of failed attempt to execute Ganon, he put it like this, "By some divine prank, he, too, had been blessed with the chosen power of the gods."
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »
Can someone tell me exactly what anti aliasing is? Did I even spell it right? And do any games do this really well today what ever it is?

Anti Aliasing is then the gpu smooths the edges of an object so that it doesn't look as jaggy.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »
FSAA is when the GPU renders the image about 4x the resolution or higher, then scales it back down to fit the screen, resulting in no more "jaggies."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 12:07:59 PM »
This should be called the "I'm too lazy to use Google" thread.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »

If he googles it, this is bound to show up. Heck, I can barely understand what they wrote there, and I do know what anti-aliasing is at its premise.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »

If he googles it, this is bound to show up. Heck, I can barely understand what they wrote there, and I do know what anti-aliasing is at its premise.

It's true, i'm just not that smart and that is exactly what I found. What BlacknBrandogg said made real human sense.

New Question!

In Super Mario World, 2nd area, underneath the tunnel, there was an ice stage. On the map you could view bowsers castle. If you took a blue Yoshi there and flew over the stage Yoshi would suddenly fall with no wings but something in his mouth. When you spit it out it was a constantly morphing item, it always changed into a key as well. Has anyone done this? Also was it just a glitch or was it actually something into a secret room or pathway?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:37:43 AM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »

I can elaborate on this a little bit. It did start as a typo (pwned) and it is specifically rooted in the Counter-Strike scene, where it spread to other games. Some of you might know I'm a language nerd and game-related terminology is an academic interest of mine. :3

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »

Do you mean "pwn'd" and it's variants? It's a pretty obvious deviation of "owned", with roots in leetspeak. I'd wager to bet that the word was originally little more than a typo, as the p and the o are right next to each other on your standard English keyboard.

Upon looking it up, it seems that there might be some history for the usage being more along the lines of "pawned", which is a chess term that describes being put into check by a pawn. Either way, the implication is that of a rather humiliating defeat.

The more you know! ;)

I used to play an MMORPG called Asheron's Call, and in that game the term pawned was heavily used in PvP battles, then all of a sudden I started seeing people use pwned, and I've always thought it was a result of that.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
If you are riding a photon from the sun to Earth, does the trip feel like 8 minutes to you?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
Speaking of science mysteries, I was going to ask why Breathe Right strip wrappers glow when you pull them apart, but then I remembered Google and found the answer myself.  It's called triboluminescence, and it's the same thing that makes wintergreen Life Savers give off sparks when bitten.  Lots of kinds of tape do the same thing when pulled off the roll.  In a vacuum, this can even produce possibly useful amounts of x-ray radiation.  Let that terrify your little hearts this Christmas while you're taping down the wrapping paper.

It's thought to be caused by a difference in charge between the two sides of the separated material, which ends up ionizing air molecules.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:50:18 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
If you are riding a photon from the sun to Earth, does the trip feel like 8 minutes to you?

No. You instantly arrive at the end of the Universe whether it be Heat death or big crunch. From your perspective, everything in the universe would happen all at the same time. You would see nothing and feel nothing. To an observer on Earth, you would take 8 Minutes to arrive. This is based on the assumption that you are travelling at the absolute speed of light in a perfect vacuum.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Old sega fighting game?
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »
Someone please help me remember this game! It was a really bad fighting game that was super amazingly hard.

You could only pick one character REX in the single player. After each battle you would start with less and less health.

There was a big sumo guy with a face on his belly, it would stick out a giant tongue to strike you. A bat man, some alien, some ugly woman who would whip her hair around.

Google has been useless.

RomanceDawn