Author Topic: Virtual Console Recommendations: 3DS eShop Launch Spectacular  (Read 4110 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

We cover every game from the first week of the 3DS Virtual Console.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/recommendations/26768

The 3DS eShop launched this week, and with it the first round of handheld Virtual Console titles. What we got ranged from high profile Nintendo franchise titles to obscure and forgotten games. We here at Nintendo World Report have played all of them, and are here to offer you our opinions of which ones are worth your time and money in this bumper launch edition of recommendations. 

Super Mario Land kicks off the week, with J.P. finding the game a little on the short side, but ending with high difficulty. The unique formula for a Mario title makes it something that fans must see for comparison's sake at least. He also takes a look at Radar Mission for us, finding it to be a surprisingly good title that he missed the first time around.

Zach Miller finds that Alleyway is not worth his time, instead suggesting that you wait for a better version of Breakout/Arkanoid. 

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX adds a splash of color to the otherwise monochrome view. While it's a little more costly than the other titles, Andrew thinks the value is there due to the fun, charm, and game length.

Finally, Nick goes to the trials of basic tennis against a CPU player. He is happy with the controls overall, but there is some learning curve before you'll be consistently volleying with your opponent.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Console Recommendations: 3DS eShop Launch Spectacular
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »
No, I'm the real thread! Shoot him!

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
Once I read Ardipithecus ramidus, I knew the review was by Zack.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Lady Mushroom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »
I think Link's Awakening is the best Zelda ever!

I do wish the GBC/Super Gameboy colorizations of black and white Gameboy games were available on 3DS. They worked really well in Super Mario Land. That is how I remember the game on my old GBC and I would love to replay it that way.
The only walking talking mushroom in Real Life.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »

Hyperbole aside, I'm just an hour in but this is super-fun.  I'd never played this before, I was half-afraid it would be like the first Zelda, but it's much closer to Link to the Past in terms of gameplay.  Good candidate for a RFN retrospective, maybe?
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
Although I do agree with the recommendation for Super Mario Land, I don't agree with the writeup. With the exception of the shooting stages, the game doesn't feel unique to me at all, it just feels like a watered-down version of Super Mario Brothers which is already a simple game. It hasn't aged well and isn't worth playing today, other than by Mario fans who are curious about all Mario games. Even still... it's hard to recommend a poor game to anyone.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
I had a good time with it, and that's without any nostalgia. The game just feels a little bit off the whole way through. I stand by what I said, if you're a Mario fan, you really should play it. It's one of the worst mainline Mario games (though I'd put Super Mario World in that discussion, so you can take that as you will), but it's not bad, and it's certainly worth $4 if you enjoy the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
Super Mario Land is a good game, feels a bit janky, but you do get used to its quirks. In fact I finally beat the game the other day for the first time!

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:10 AM »
I agree, I am loving Link's Awakening, still not as much as Link to the Past but it still is a great game. It has a ton of charm, and oozes personality. When it comes to a "spin-off" Zelda game it is far and away the best one out there.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Homeskillet!

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »
I didn't feel the need to get Super Mario Land, though it's a good game.  I played the hell out of it when the original Game Boy first came out.  (Yes, I'm that old)

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 08:22:08 PM »
Where did you find Tennis?  It's not on the eShop.
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:36 PM »
Tennis was released in Europe, not North America.

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
Tennis was released in Europe, not North America.

Thank you!
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »

Hyperbole aside, I'm just an hour in but this is super-fun.  I'd never played this before, I was half-afraid it would be like the first Zelda, but it's much closer to Link to the Past in terms of gameplay.  Good candidate for a RFN retrospective, maybe?

It's not hyberbole if it's true.  8)  I know there are at least a few others here, including me, that call it their favorite Zelda.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »

It's not hyberbole if it's true.  8)  I know there are at least a few others here, including me, that call it their favorite Zelda.
I'm one of them, although I separate the series into 2D and 3D categories.  Link's Awakening is my favorite 2D game, followed by Link's Awakening and Oracle of Ages.  Wind Waker is my favorite 3D Zelda, followed by Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.  LA might gain the edge as the best Zelda ever, but separating the franchise into two sections allows me to never have to choose...it's too hard to pick the best one.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:02 PM »

It's not hyberbole if it's true.  8)  I know there are at least a few others here, including me, that call it their favorite Zelda best damn game ever.

ftfy.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.