Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 367410 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
I think the Ravens will have a let down year. I'm not sold on the Browns yet (though I do think they're rising). I think the Bengals will continue to be a playoff-bound team that gets trounced in the playoffs when they get there.

The AFC is just really weak. Maybe the Steelers will be the 6 seed, but outside of other teams in their division, I don't see any teams competing for that WC spot. The Dolphins? The Colts? Maybe, but I don't think so.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
The thing with the Browns is they could go 10-6 or they could go 6-10, depending on how much progress all their young players (who make up most of the team) make. There are like six guys on that offense with the potential to have major breakout seasons, and a pretty damned impressive front 7 on defense, albeit with a shaky secondary behind it. Based on what I've seen in their two preseason games so far, they're looking good, but that's just preseason.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If I recall, there was a Browns-Packers preseason game last year where you were saying the same things. :P

Still, I think the Browns will be good in like a year or two. They could break out earlier than expected (a la the Bengals two years ago), especially since the AFC North is in turmoil to a degree, with the makeover in Baltimore, the decay of Pittsburgh, and the fact that the Bengals are still the Bengals.

I'll also get to see yo' Brownies at Lambeau Field. :D
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
My predicting the Browns turning the corner and becoming a legit contender is kind of like my predictions of big E3s from Nintendo. It makes more and more sense as an argument with every passing year, you think it has to be coming at some point, but year in and year out I come away disappointed.

Really, this year's team will go as far as Brandon Weeden can take them. He's got a good group of talent around him on offense and what looks like a scary good defense. Last year he couldn't seem to do anything right; this year, while it's still just preseason, he's shown massive improvements in decision making and downfield accuracy. This year's outcome for the Browns hinges almost entirely on whether he can make the next step and become a solid NFL QB.

If he plays as well as he has so far (again, yes, it's preseason, but he's still been playing against first team defenses) consistently in the regular season, they're a playoff team. If he stays where he was last year, then hey, we'll be in great position to grab Teddy Bridgewater to replace him.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Also, I should point out to everyone here, if you're interested in Madden this year, you might want to check out the Amazon-exclusive Anniversary Edition. It has a few extra things in it, but the main draw for me was that it includes a free year of NFL Sunday Ticket.

It works with DirecTV, but you don't need it to use this, as people who don't have their satellite service can still use the free pass to get all the games on the web and mobile devices. Sure beats the hell out of shitty illegal internet streams. The package is $100, so you're basically paying $40 over the normal game price for the service, which is about 1/10 the normal price of Sunday Ticket.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks for the heads up on that. Probably gonna go for it - I have no desire to play Madden so I'll just sell the game if I do it.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Done and DONE. Definitely going for it. Easily worth the $40 and probably worth more, speaking as an out of markt fan myself.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Is it worth $100 Dollars to me hmmm...
I am going to Jaguars vs Titans @ JP Field this year.  Got good seats for a "reasonable" by ticket standard price so maybe it is worth 100.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If I didn't have a routine of meeting up with my dad and some family friends for each out-of-market Packer game at a sports bar, then I'd probably do it. Also, I actually have cable now.

Still, despite how bummed I am about no Madden on Wii U, I'm, umm, probably going to get Madden on 360 or PS3. :X

J.P. - I'll probably pull for the Browns in about 16 of 17 weeks. Even more so if I get Trent Richardson in my fantasy draft like I think I want to.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I don't have cable, CBS is still in the VHF range for me, and Fox seems to Pre-empt Football with the other Football whenever the other is on around here.

Still though $100...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Neal, if you're going to buy Madden this year, I'm getting it on PS3.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Neal, if you're going to buy Madden this year, I'm getting it on PS3.

I've heard the PS3 version is usually buggier than the 360 version. I want to go PS3 because I deep down hate my 360 for anything other than Netflix/HBO Go/Hulu, but I always hear the PS3 version is buggy as ****.

Side note: I am for 100% sure going PS3 for NHL this year.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I'm going PS3 because I'm letting my Xbox Live Gold lapse and that would cut me off from roster updates over the second half of the season.

EDIT: A quick scan of Metacritic on last year's PS3 Madden shows no significant difference in reviews. Actually, the PS3 version's Metascore is two points higher than the 360's. PlayStation-specific outlets didn't seem to have any real problems.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:35:26 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
The panthers are mediocre and Cam might bet better, but there's still only one dude to really catch passes and the running back situation is a disaster. And the defense is meh.

(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Saints are losing some defensive players. Not a good thing.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Based on their historic performance last season, anyone they would bring in would be an improvement.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
We got Rob Ryan, what more do you want?!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Someone who can make a play on a quarterback not named Rex "**** It I'm Throwing Deep" Grossman.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
We can do that, but not consistently. Will Smith was a big part of that until he hurt his knees.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Official NFL Discussion: insanolord's hope for the Browns comes here to die
« Reply #644 on: September 06, 2013, 01:48:31 AM »
Peyton Manning > God
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 06, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
So, Joe Flacco sure is elite, right?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 06, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
My brother is slowly becoming a football fan.  He used to watch a few minutes here and there while I had the game on and he was taking a break from whatever he was doing.  Last night he just planned on watching the beginning of it and ended up watching the whole thing.  He likes the spectacle and last night had that.  You had the over-the-top intro with the NFL legends counting down to the fuckin' FINAL COUNTDOWN and Peyton Manning throwing 7 touchdowns.  But his favourite things are the ones he can laugh and make fun of and this game had two all time classics.  First you get the Ravens player hitting the **** out of his own teammate who was waving for a fair catch and then that Broncos player catching a game icing pick 6 but completely negating it by INTENTIONALLY DROPPING THE FOOTBALL BEFORE HE CROSSES THE GOAL LINE.  HA HA HA HA!!!!  I've seen other stupid players do that but they were at least close to the line.  This guy dropped it like three or four yards away from it.  How many times have we seen that happen and yet there are still dumb musclehead idiots in the league that think it's cool?

Early in the game I noticed that Flacco had this different look to him.  He had this confidence in his demeanor like one would expect out of a Superbowl winning quarterback.  The look that someone like Brady often has.  But by the second quarter is was the old Flacco look.  The "oh **** people will notice I'm really a fraud" look, most often personified by Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 06, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
Just like with soccer going to start with Football this season following my home team the Lions as we try and make it to at least the playoffs.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 06, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
I live in Nebraska so there is this unwritten law you have to devote every fiber of your being to the Corn Huskers so as such most people around here don't even follow NFL. Personally I am hoping Kansas City will be a real contender this season.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 29, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
Nothing can stop the mighty Brian Hoyer.

J.P. Corbran