Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 365980 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2011 NFL Discussion: Lockout, schmockout!
« Reply #325 on: February 15, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
Like I said, he had over 600 yards in the half a season he played, which would be really good performance if extended over the full 16.  Fucking Madden curse, man. If they hash out a contract and he stays healthy I believe he can return to greatness. Unless they draft Trent Richardson, which in my opinion would be the worst thing they could realistically do with that pick, there's pretty much no way they could do any better than that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »
I'm between the two of you. My gut says that Hillis isn't going to replicate his performance from two years ago. But logic says that he should be given a shot at it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »
If we were to get RGIII and help at receiver and O-line it would make it a lot easier for Hillis to do well. We haven't had a legitimate deep passing game since Derek Anderson in 2007, which is depressing on so many different levels, so if we established that, especially with Griffin's ability to run, Hillis would be able to find a lot more holes to run through.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
If we were to get RGIII and help at receiver and O-line it would make it a lot easier for Hillis to do well. We haven't had a legitimate deep passing game since Derek Anderson in 2007, which is depressing on so many different levels, so if we established that, especially with Griffin's ability to run, Hillis would be able to find a lot more holes to run through.

For the type of money he's demanding though, Hillis should perform like Jones-Drew II!

On a more serious note, Holmgren is a West-Coast type, so you guys neither have nor probably will get legitimate deep threats (or am I missing someone?). But that's okay, because spreading a defense horizontally is just as beneficial for a strong running game...so long as your runner is willing to pound the holes, and not consistently hold out for home runs. Hillis is built to do that, but CJ's listless performance this season has made me overly leery of glory-seeking RBs. It shouldn't be an issue, but...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »
After the season he had, though, nobody's going to give him big money. He's going to have to settle. Of the few deep passes we got this season out of McCoy, most went to Cribbs, who definitely has the speed to get past most defenders as well as work in the middle of the field; I'm not suggesting they'll go deep all the time, just have enough of a threat to do so to keep defenses honest, which McCoy just doesn't have.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 23, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Packers reached agreement with TE Jermichael Finley on a 2-year, $15 million deal.

Neal am cry?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 23, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
Fucking Finley...

If he can get back to his Monday Night Finley days, I'll be fine with it. Also, if he shuts his goddamn mouth.

Now franchise tag Flynn and trade his ass to the Dolphins.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 23, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »
They'd better line up a buyer first, or they'll be paying $15 million to a backup. And who do you want from the Dolphins in exchange?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 23, 2012, 01:08:11 AM »
I haven't even thought about that since I figured Finley would get the tag.

I'd say draft picks, since they're usually fun. I also see the Redskins, Browns, and Seahawks are potential suitors in descending order after the Dolphins.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 23, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
The Browns would be the most interesting, I think. They need a good QB, and they've currently got draft picks galore, scattered both high and low in multiple rounds. As a bonus, insanolord can either look back and praise or curse this day, depending on whether Flynn ultimately shapes up to be Rich Gannon or Matt Cassel!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2012, 01:23:14 AM »
I don't want Flynn, especially if we have to trade for him. I'd take Griffin over Flynn if I had to choose straight up, and even for him I wouldn't want to give up much of anything beyond that 4th overall pick.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2012, 01:32:33 AM »
So it'd be doubly-interesting because you'd curse this day from the get-go! :D

On a more serious note, I'd share your concerns. It's easy to love the backup, and Flynn's been pretty good when he's stepped up, but that doesn't always translate to long-term success. Caleb Hanie, anyone?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 24, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that if the Browns trade all their high picks this year to get Robert Griffin he'll end up being another Brady Quinn or Colt McCoy, but if we pass on him he'll have a Hall of Fame career. I guess that's the kind of mindset you develop after a while as a Browns fan.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 26, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »
Robert Griffin just ran a 4.38 in the 40 yard dash. That's good for a running back and unreal for a QB. I'm finding it harder and harder to make a real argument against the Browns moving up for him.

EDIT: I'm going to have a nervous breakdown over this RG3 situation and the draft isn't even for another two months. I have way too much emotionally invested in the Cleveland Browns.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:24:00 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 26, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
I'd be happy if the Saints get a star safety and linebacker.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #340 on: February 26, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
I don't think we'll see too many personnel changes on the offensive side this year (except maybe on the o-line). I'm betting drafting a safety this year will be a top Saints priority.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »
Hillis thought about joining the CIA? JP, wtf is up with the players on the Browns? Will Colt McCoy become a wild west sheriff next year?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
Well he's certainly got the name for it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »
So let's talk penalties. I'm guessing the Saints get hit with the loss of a draft pick, the fines total less than a million for all involved, but Williams gets suspended for a few games.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
And their Super Bowl win over the Colts should be taken away.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
Don't be silly, that's way too far back. Just restart this year's NFC playoffs, starting after the first round, and substitute the Lions for the Saints. Whoever wins this new playoff is retroactively the Super Bowl champ!

Seriously though, I find this situation somewhat delicious. It seems to be a widespread and long-lasting practice, but Goodell  has huffed and puffed so much about player safety recently that he can't let this go lightly. It'll be fun to see what tack he ultimately settles on. Hypocrisy Alert: I wouldn't want to be Williams right now...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 06, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NFL first talk to saints about this after their Super Bowl win? Or at least around that time?

I don't think they should lose their trophy, but I think this goes further back than you think.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 06, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Taking away a Superbowl win?  There has been an NFL champion every single year since 1920 and you want to retroactively take one away?  I think it would do much more harm to the league to have a vacant spot in their championship history than to have people think "hey the Saints cheated for that title".  The Saints should be punished but by harming their future like with lost draft picks, suspensions, etc.  Changing the past actually punishes the rest of the league more than anything else.

I don't like what the Saints did but they really are just the guys who got caught.  Other teams do this and odds are some other Superbowl team has.  That doesn't make it right but the league let this slide and now has to crack down on it.  They only recently got all gung-ho about safety and that is why they're making such a big stink of it.  I wouldn't want a Superbowl title vacated because the phonies in the league office decided to make an example of someone to "show" how safety conscious they are.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NFL first talk to saints about this after their Super Bowl win? Or at least around that time?

I don't think they should lose their trophy, but I think this goes further back than you think.

The NFL does say they did it during the 2009 (when they won the Super Bowl), 2010, and 2011 seasons.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #349 on: March 07, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
It was speculated for months, but the Colts officially released Peyton Manning today. Without a doubt the reason was so they could avoid having to pay him a $28 million bonus tomorrow if he was still on the roster. The man led them to 11 playoffs appearences, 2 AFC Championships, and a Super Bowl, and they dump him. The guy is the face of the Colts team. Oh well, some other team will pick up this future Hall of Famer (hopefully not the Miami Dolphins, who are considered one of the leading teams to sign him, since the Bills don't need a even harder time). Most people expect the Colts to now draft either Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20