Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 366184 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2011 NFL Discussion: Lockout, schmockout!
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
Well I'm not specifically a Colts fan but I'm glad to see them get the number one pick nonetheless.

Denver backing into the playoffs was not particularly fun to watch.  The AFC Wild Card round doesn't look like it will be that good.  Houston has been using their third string quarterback and he got hurt in the last game, Denver played terrible the last two games and Cincinnati seems to be merely the least sucky of a group of very average AFC teams that were on the playoff bubble until the last week.  Pittsburgh is the only one of the "good" AFC playoff teams playing this weekend.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »
Agreed completely, but I look forward to the continued fall of Tim Tebow, and the even match up that is Cincy-Houston.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
Nice! The Pick 'Em League was certainly fun and I hope we can do it again next year. Provided we survive Armageddon in December.  :P:         
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Bengals
Saints
Falcons
Steelers
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:57 AM »
Saints (obviously), Steelers (die national joke, die! Mwahahaha!!!), Bungles (grudgingly), and Giants (please let the streak stay alive...).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2012, 08:55:28 AM »
Saints (obviously), Steelers (die national joke, die! Mwahahaha!!!), Bungles (grudgingly), and Giants (please let the streak stay alive...).

I'm not sure why you think the Saints winning is obvious; the Lions definitely have the offense to keep up with them. I'd pick New Orleans, but I'd be far from shocked if Detroit managed to pull it off.

As much as I hate the Steelers, I can't see them losing to Denver, even without Mendenhall and Roethlisberger playing on one leg.

Cincy-Houston seems like a toss-up, but I'll go with the Bengals because I think Andy Dalton is the real deal, and AJ Green is already one of the best receivers in the league.

Finally, sorry Lindy, I have to go with the Giants as the hot team right now. They barely got in, but so did Green Bay last year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
I'm not sure why you think the Saints winning is obvious; the Lions definitely have the offense to keep up with them. I'd pick New Orleans, but I'd be far from shocked if Detroit managed to pull it off.

The Saints indoors have a ridiculously consistent high-octane offense, an effect that's magnified noticeably (in my mind) at the Superdome. No one was pulling for the Rams harder last week than the Saints; the Saints have a 13-point scoring differential when they play inside as opposed to outside, with a few extra heaped on when they play at home.

It's not impossible for the Lions to beat them, but of all the weekend games I'd say this is probably the safest bet, with Denver-Pittsburgh a close second. Besides, I know from previous Patriots games that the more I mentally build a team up, the more delicious it is when they fall.  ;D

Offline FZeroBoyo

• View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
I'd say the Saints, Giants, Steelers, and Texans. Why? So that should Houston win, then Pittsburgh faces New England. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are the two teams I feel have a genuine chance of containing the Patriots, especially if they want to play comeback heroes again.                     

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »
I would much rather see the Patriots in the Super Bowl than the Ravens or the Steelers. Then again, as a Browns fan, my ideal season would have the Steelers finishing 0-16 and the Ravens 2-14, only beating the Steelers.

And calling the Saints beating the Lions the safest bet is ridiculous; Steelers over Denver at least, and probably Giants over Falcons are safer bets to me. Also, Saints-Lions is almost certainly going to be the most entertaining game to watch, with two 5,000+ yard QBs in a dome, sure to be a shootout.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Giants over Falcons isn't that safe. Steelers over Denver is by far the safest. Tim Tebow isn't ready for the Steelers defense or playoff ball in general. Saints have a tendency to play to their opponents (see Rams, Seahawks, etc), so that upset is possible though entirely unprobable.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2012, 06:06:57 PM »
You guys are giving the Steelers too much credit. They've repeatedly proven this season that they can lay an egg, and their offense hasn't looked good in at least a month. Denver's defense has cooled down, but I still see them giving Big Ben and co. some difficulty. Steelers should still win it, but I have way less confidence in the Steelers @ Denver than I do with the red-hot Saints @ home.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2012, 06:18:53 PM »
I still think you guys are giving the Lions too little credit.

With the Steelers, I could see Denver squeaking by, if only because it's shaping up to be an incredibly low scoring game, so it could happen by fluke. Pittsburgh's lights-out defense versus Denver's in-the-dark offense, and Denver's very capable D against a hobbled Ben and no Mendenhall. I still think the Steelers are the safest bet of the week, but they could definitely lose this, although I shouldn't let myself get my hopes up for that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
I thought about picking the Lions until I remembered the last time the Saints and Lions played and the Lions emptied an entire clip into their foot. And that was with Ndonkeykong Suh out of the lineup.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »
Saints handled the Lions with a great second half, setting another record or two in the process.

Texans dominated the Bengals, that was a bit shocking.

Now let's see what happens tomorrow.  :D

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #239 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »
And so Tim Tebow throws for 316 yards and takes the virginity of the NFL's playoff OT format in record time, which would be the first time he's taken the virginity of ANYTHING.

As such, in two weeks it will be Baltimore at New England in the AFC title game, also known as the "Battle of Who Could Care Less".
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
I'm so very happy Pittsburgh lost. It was a nice way to cheer me up after the Flyers blew a two goal lead.

J.P. Corbran

Offline FZeroBoyo

• View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
Giants dominated the Falcons, showing they have a lot momentum. Which they will need, going to face Green Bay next Sunday.

TEBOW TIME!!!!!

What a great weekend!     

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
As such, in two weeks it will be Baltimore at New England in the AFC title game, also known as the "Battle of Who Could Care Less".

If the Ravens and Patriots underestimate the Broncos the same way you do, then Denver will make it to the Super Bowl.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
So what's the betting on who wins this weekend? I'm mostly going dull, with choices like: Green Bay, New England, Baltimore... and San Francisco!

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2012, 10:13:29 PM »
Yeah, pretty much going chalk. Packers/Niners/Patriots/Ravens *gag*
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
Patriots, Ravens, Niners .... Giants.

New York is what Green Bay was last year: the team that got hot at the right time. The Packers just haven't quite looked the same recently, and I don't necessarily think the rest did them too many favors, and the weather in Green Bay isn't going to hurt the Giants. Eli's playing like the number one pick he was, and that whole team is on fire right now.

Don't fire me, Neal.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »
I'll let Sunday speak for itself.

Every single player on the Packers is healthy. When this team had time off before (Week 1, Post-Bye Week), they put up 40+ points on great (Saints) and decent (Chargers) teams. They also have lost 1 game in the past year+. They haven't lost at home since October 2010, when they lost in overtime to the Dolphins in a game that Clay Matthews missed and was arguably the worst they played in all of 2010.

I'm (mildly) fine with all these doubters. It's like I was mildly fine with all the Tebow talk when they were undefeated, or how the Suh Stomp overshadowed the fact they were coasting for homefield.

For a team with a record as good as they have, people don't seem to give them too much credit. I think the Giants will put up a helluva fight, and I wish I wasn't so personally vested in this game, because I'm sure it'll a blast to watch for impartial fans. Ultimately, this team is 15-1 for a reason. And while the Giants beat them at Lambeau back in '07, this time we don't have a gunslinging turd.

Lastly, you're fucking fired. I do look forward to rooting for the Browns if/when Matt Flynn goes there in the offseason. Honestly, I pick up a second team to root for wherever Flynn goes. He's a golden god and super pimp.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
I'm not totally sold on Flynn, but he's a closer fit to our system than RG3 and would have to be an improvement over what we have now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline FZeroBoyo

• View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
I'm going to be bold and pick: Giants, Saints, Texans, and Broncos.

As said before, the Giants have a lot of momentum after steamrolling the Cowboys and pretty much shutting out the Falcons. Packers will certainly put up a fight, but that defense (next to dead last) could certainly be cause for concern against a fired up Eli Manning and company.

Saints don't play as well outside, but if Drew Brees can't go to the air, handing it off to Darren Sproles certainly seems like a good alternative. While San Francisco has a good defense, their offense has struggled in the red zone throughout the season. It's been said before: New Orleans is a team you can't beat with field goals. Provided they score, of course.

Texans over the Ravens because the latter has always struggled against the underdogs this season. Remember the losses to Jacksonville and San Diego earlier? Houston has shown that they can put together a competent offense with Yates, or maybe it's just because it was the Bengals, but I feel that Houston at least has a shot.

Broncos because they have momentum after Tim Tebow threw for 316 yards against one of the best passing defenses last week. New England's defense is dead last in ranks, so it's up to the Brady Bunch (Brady, Green-Ellis, Hernandez, Welker, and Gronkowski) to put up some points. Thing is, they've had slow first halves against Miami and Buffalo and fell down 2-3 scores. That could happen again, but they've always got it together in the second half. And remember: last year, the Patriots stomped the Jets 45-3 in their previous meeting but the Jets came and knocked them out in the first round. So I think Tebow Time still has some magic left.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
The problem with the Saints handing off to Sproles is that San Francisco's run defense this year may be the best in the history of the league. They didn't give up a rushing TD until like week 14. If Brees isn't able to work through the air the Niners just might be able to beat them with field goals.

Also, New England's defense is only dead last in terms of yards. Looking at how many points they've given up they're 15th.

J.P. Corbran