Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 184974 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:46 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if Ottawa might luck their way to a cup by playing injured teams along the way. The Bruins had injuries limiting their effectiveness, Penguins are just full of players constantly getting injured and the Preds/Ducks just seem to have the intent that if they're going to lose than the other team isn't going to survive by much with how much they are whacking and checking each other in that series.

An interesting thing about the Pens/Sens series is that Crosby was the number 1 draft choice of 2005 but Bobby Ryan was the number 2 selection by the Ducks. Now he's playing with the Sens and it is the first playoff series between the number 1 and 2 draft choices of 2005. (Number 3 was Jack Johnson with Columbus whom the Pens defeated in the first round.) If Ottawa surprises everyone and beats the Pens and the Ducks beat the Preds then it will be Bobby Ryan (and Silfverberg) versus his old team. I was a big fan of Bobby Ryan when he was part of the RPG line with Getzlaf and Perry. In retrospect, the team never won much or went that far in the playoffs when he was a member of the team but, man, I always found the Duck games to be very entertaining and fun to watch with that top line. His best year was probably 2009 when they defeated San Jose and then took Detroit to 7 games tied into the 3rd period of Game 7 before finally losing to them in that last 20 minutes. I was disappointed when he got traded to Ottawa but even more confused that he actually chose to resign and stay there. I'd have thought he'd want to get to free agency and get outta there.

However, I must say that Silfverberg has been a pretty equal trade for the Ducks so its been easy to forget Bobby Ryan. The only real reminder is with how many players keep getting swapped in to play with Getzlaf and Perry that you remember when they had a consistent partner in Ryan. I kind of think this is a bit of a weaker Ducks team than the ones that lost to LA and Chi a few years ago but they just may get it done. I was thinking Penguins had a good chance to repeat but with their blueline really getting abused in these playoffs, this might be the real Stanley Cup final and if so, I hope it's the Ducks that advance and win it all.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2017, 10:58:56 PM »
Pekka Rinne is going to win Conn Smythe.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »

Well, here's hoping Penguins pull off the repeat.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2017, 11:13:02 PM »
I can't believe the Ducks lost this game and this series. Some of the comebacks they had. I believed every game they could still pull it off and win (Game 6 of the Oilers aside). I'm losing any goodwill I may had for the Predators at this point. 2 Western Conference Finals in 3 years and losing them both. Man, what a way to keep whiffing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »
Giving up 6 goals on 18 shots is pretty damned impressive.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 23, 2017, 12:09:23 AM »
RIP another Ducks cup dream.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #281 on: May 23, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Now if Ottawa can bleep off, I get a win-win in the Finals. Either Pittsburgh wins and I get to go to a Stanley Cup parade, or Montreal look like idiots for sending PK to the champs.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:41 PM »
Wow. I'm not just saying this because the team I was rooting for won, that was an incredible game of hockey. Take a bow, Craig Anderson.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »
Second night in a row a goalie has ruined the result I was looking for. *shakes fist*

Le sigh. Going into these Conference Finals, I knew there was a 25% chance neither the Ducks or the Penguins would make it to the Finals but there was a 75% chance at least one of those teams would. Please don't let this be the darkest timeline. Just when I thought the Penguins were getting their act back together with their 7-0 stomping of the Sens. But, it often seems that when a team completely thumps the other, they seem to lose the next game against them. The other team is quite motivated to avenge a blow-out loss.

See you for the coinflip on Thursday. May the odds be ever in Pittsburgh's favor.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 26, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »
Phewwwwwwww!

Bit of a nail-biter tonight but Pittsburgh finally prevailed against those darned Senators. 3rd time Pittsburgh plays in back-to-back Finals. That's crazy. Here's hoping the rest they do get before Monday helps them out as they take on the Preds. Love to see them win another Cup instead of the split that happened last time in 08/09. It's the return of Peter Laviolette and James Neal.

Dream scenario: Murray gets injured early in Game 1. Fleury comes in and shuts out Nashville as the Pens sweep them 4 in a row with the Pens winning the Cup and Fleury gets the Conn Smythe before his possible exit from Pittsburgh. Loving the addition of Hainsey on defense. And in case you missed it, the guy's 36 years old and has played 907 games and this is the first time he's got to play in the playoffs and he's able to play in a Stanley Cup final as well. That's always pretty awesome when a long-time player like that gets to go through an experience like that.

4 more wins left and this team can further cement its ability to join some elite company.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 08, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »
Just 1 more win away from the repeat. Go Pens Go!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »
50 years in the NHL. 5 cups. 2 time Back to Back winners. 91, 92 and now 16, 17. Wowsers. Way to go Pens.

I couldn't believe when Hornqvist scored that goal because I knew how much that probably meant to him. Getting drafted by Nashville and then traded later to the Penguins and he scores the game winner versus Nashville to get the Penguins their 2nd cup in a row.

I still wish Fluery could have had the chance to finish this playoff run if it is his last year as I still think the Penguins probably would have won with him in net also but can't deny how well Murray played in the final stretch.

It's a shame Nashville had the one disallowed goal. I'd have preferred a victory without any major controversy or complaint by the other team but as I've said before and come to realize is that bad refereeing is part of the game and a team has to be able to overcome it. I think it is partly why Nashville had 4 power plays including a brief 5 on 3 and Pittsburgh had none in order to sort of make-up and give Nashville the chance to score. Pittsburgh got their break with the disallowed goal and refs may not have wanted to tip things further to their advantage.

Curious to see what will happen to this team now though with the expansion draft and free agent market soon to approach but by keeping so much of the team intact this past year, it really helped them pull off the repeat. Maybe Jagr will decide to join up and see if he can accomplish what the Pens failed to do in 93 which is to win 3 in a row. (Looking back, I can't believe the 93 Pens didn't win a 3rd cup. The team they still had back then.) At that same time, just thinking about that makes me realize how amazing it is that Jagr is still playing and the Penguins franchise has now won 5 cups during his hockey career. What a player to still be going strong after all this time.

Looks like Montreal didn't lose the Subban trade after. Media are writing stories that Subban's antics got Crosby fired up and motivated the Penguins leading to their win. Guess Bergevin was right to trade him away. lolololol. But, in all seriousness, Nashville looks like they could be a serious contender for awhile right now and they very well could win a cup yet in the next couple years if they can keep this team pretty well intact and possibly add another couple good forwards. I think all the teams in the Central division should be wary of facing them in the playoffs now.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
WOOOOO! The Ducks sign Patrick Eaves for 3 years! 3 months left til the season starts.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2017, 08:35:54 PM »
The top of the draft came and went without any major surprises, and the Flyers were able to use their not-at-all-deserved 2nd overall pick on Nolan Patrick. We're going to be a very young team this year, between rookies like him, Lindblom, Morin, and Sanheim and then returning youngsters like Provorov, Konecny, and Gostisbehere. I don't know exactly how it's going to pan out, but the analysts on the draft seemed very high on our prospects.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »
WOOOOO! The Ducks sign Patrick Eaves for 3 years! 3 months left til the season starts.

Hope he keeps producing like he did when they acquired him and he didn't just get hot/lucky during the end of the season.

I don't know exactly how it's going to pan out, but the analysts on the draft seemed very high on our prospects.

The Metro is probably the toughest division in hockey these days. Islanders just helped themselves a bit by acquiring Eberle a couple days ago to. It's hard to say how any team will finish in it. I expect Washington and Penguins will most likely claim the top two spots again but after that, who knows? Islanders could rebound from last year's bad start, Columbus could be in the mix or regress, Rangers are a so-so bubble team, Carolina is still in rebuild mode, Devils are too although if Kovalchuk does come back then maybe they are in the playoff hunt a bit longer. Does Philly have the talent to beat these other teams? Maybe but I kind of don't think so right now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
That really depends on how some of these players produce. We're going to be leaning a lot on young, unproven talent, with crazy upside but no NHL experience. I think this is going to be a better team on paper than the one we had last year (or at least it will be once we address our goaltending situation) and that team didn't miss the playoffs by that much. We're on the upswing, though. Hextall's plan is a little ahead of schedule because of the lottery, but this team only looks to improve over the next few years, whereas teams like the Rangers are likely to fade.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:59 PM »
I was going over our forwards for next year in my head and I kept thinking somebody was going to have to be the odd man out in the top 9, and apparently Ron Hextall agreed because he just traded Brayden Schenn.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »
Bieksa's superman punch tonight

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
It was pretty much all downhill from there for the Flyers from that point too. Out-muscled, with dumb giveaway after dumb giveaway. Ugly, ugly game. I think I turned it off when it hit 4-1.

J.P. Corbran

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2017, 01:34:23 AM »

Hope he keeps producing like he did when they acquired him and he didn't just get hot/lucky during the end of the season.

I don't know exactly how it's going to pan out, but the analysts on the draft seemed very high on our prospects.

The Metro is probably the toughest division in hockey these days. Islanders just helped themselves a bit by acquiring Eberle a couple days ago to. It's hard to say how any team will finish in it. I expect Washington and Penguins will most likely claim the top two spots again but after that, who knows? Islanders could rebound from last year's bad start, Columbus could be in the mix or regress, Rangers are a so-so bubble team, Carolina is still in rebuild mode, Devils are too although if Kovalchuk does come back then maybe they are in the playoff hunt a bit longer. Does Philly have the talent to beat these other teams? Maybe but I kind of don't think so right now.

These posts didn't age well. Eaves is out with a scary and very rare disease, probably for a year minimum (my professional opinion). And the Ducks went from getting whipped by the Panthers, then two days later, beating Tampa Bay, one of the hottest teams at the moment. Good thing I don't bet on sports!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:19 PM »
My football team is atrocious, my baseball and soccer teams are in the midst of extremely disappointing offseasons, but man is hockey fun right now. The Flyers went from losing 10 in a row to a crazy hot streak that has them tied for second in the best division in the NHL. The older stars like Giroux and Voracek are back to their old selves and the youngsters like Konecny and Patrick are getting hot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2018, 02:39:45 AM »
Once again I find myself diametrically opposed to Khushrenada. :(  I'm pulling for Ottawa in the East both because of my general hatred of everything Pittsburgh and because a friend of mine who I introduced to hockey about 15 years ago picked the Senators as his team for whatever reason and has stuck by them, so I'm also rooting for them for him.

So, is your "friend" still sticking with the Senators as that franchise seems to be imploding?

If the Capitals get weaker, Pittsburgh benefits because their team is pretty well built to last for a few more years. Rangers are on the decline, Flyers are in a bit of rebuild, Devils are restructuring, Islanders looked to be on the rise but seemed to have suddenly stalled, Carolina is going nowhere. Columbus is the only team right now that may be trending in the right direction to compete in the division and the playoffs but its hard to say with just one good season and no real record of sustainable success yet.

Well, I still think the Capitals are a weaker team than they were last year but they've been able to still stay in the top of the division like I figured they would since they still have a lot of good talent there. The division has been pretty wacky this year. With the Atlantic consisting of 3 great teams and the rest all terrible, the Metro division is most likely sending 5 teams to the the playoffs and the Metro has also stayed pretty tight giving most of the teams in it a chance to make the playoffs this year. I felt the Rangers were on the decline last year and that has proven to be true as they waved the white flag early and the Metro is now 7 teams fighting for 5 spots.

The Devils were a big surprise this year and their early success seems like it will allow them to make the playoffs though they seem to be fading as we get closer to the end of the season. I wasn't sure about Columbus and they are holding on to that last playoff spot right now but I feel that with the talent they've got, they should probably be ahead of the Devils in the standings. Philly has been surprising. They've gotten hot about the same time of the Penguins and have been climbing the standings with them and staying pretty even. I didn't expect them to be doing as well as they are but this division is pretty wild in that so many teams have a chance to compete for a playoff spot even if they aren't an elite team like Nashville or the Bruins seem to be.

But it's all about the 3-peat for me now, baby! Even when people were talking about the Penguins and how they were hurting without a third line center or just unable to win consistently and hanging near the bottom of the division in December, a look at the standings showed they were still in good shape. They were basically a 50/50 team in wins and losses and there was only 3 - 4 points difference between them and 2nd place in the division. I had no doubt they could easily string together 5 or 6 wins and put themselves right back in a playoff spot. And that's they only thing they've got to do with the regular season is just make the playoffs. If they want to conserve their energy a bit and take a few more losses along the way, whatever. Just bring the A game for playoffs like they've been doing.

And since January, they are now 17-5-1 with one more game in February to hopefully win and then on to their usual March domination as the battle for division leader continues. And now they've made the crazy Brassard trade to give themselves the actual 3rd line center people thought they were lacking. Now the prospect of a three-peat is looking like a very real possibility and I am so pumped right now. Brassard's first game is this Tuesday versus the Devils and I plan to check it out. I had stopped watching regular season games 4 or 5 years ago and have just been tuning in during playoffs for the past few years for the Ducks and Penguins but this team with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel and the way they've been playing since Sullivan took over as coach reminds me of their early days with Therrien and Bylsma from 07-10 when they were such an energetic and exciting team to watch. They seemed to lose that spark after the Crosby concussion saga and then the switch to more defensive style hockey to cover up the lack of talent on their third and fourth lines. But these last few playoff runs and the way they are playing again now is just so fun to watch.

After the abysmal (for them compared to past performances) 2014-15 season, I was beginning to think the Penguins organization had really screwed things up with how they built things despite having Crosby and Malkin to work with. It seemed like they had wasted their prime years and then they miraculously turned it around starting with that Kessel trade even though it didn't seem that way at first. And now, the possibility exists of achieving that Mt. Olympus of sports - Dynasty. It was something people though possible back when they went to the Stanley Cup final in '08 but lost. It seemed then that Penguins and their talent could form a dynasty like the Oilers (or Islanders but mainly Canadian sports writers referred to the Oilers) of the 80s and the playoff runs they had with their young talent in that decade. However, despite winning the cup in '09, that dynasty idea faded away. But now, 10 years later, that potential destiny is back and it's all I want to go on about with people. So, now you get to hear about NWR! Lucky you!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »
Once again I find myself diametrically opposed to Khushrenada. :(  I'm pulling for Ottawa in the East both because of my general hatred of everything Pittsburgh and because a friend of mine who I introduced to hockey about 15 years ago picked the Senators as his team for whatever reason and has stuck by them, so I'm also rooting for them for him.

So, is your "friend" still sticking with the Senators as that franchise seems to be imploding?

He is, at least so far. We were talking about it a lot this weekend because they played the Flyers on Sunday. And speaking of the Flyers, holy ****, I don't quite understand how they got this good this fast. They had a 10 game losing streak that ended in early December, but since the end of that only the Bruins have a better record than they do in the entire NHL, and the Flyers are better than anybody since the start of 2018.

The biggest difference in Philly has been young guys stepping up. First it was 20 year old Travis Konecny, who had an up and down first year and a half in the NHL before exploding for 24 points in 25 games after being moved to the top line in January. Then it was last year's 2nd overall pick Nolan Patrick, who started the year slow due in large part to injuries, but has come on really strong over the last month or so. Not to mention Shayne Gostisbehere, who's rebounding from a disappointing second season with a career year, matching his insane point totals from his rookie season but also turning into a much more well-rounded defenseman beyond just his offensive ability.

But really, the greatest part of all this is the resurgence of team captain Claude Giroux. He had a pretty awful year last year, again largely due to injuries, and as he's now over 30 a lot of people were ready to write him off as has been. Instead, he came roaring back with not only a bounce-back year, but one that is both statistically and by the eye test the best season he's ever had in the NHL. He's third in the NHL in scoring, and on pace for career highs in goals and points. He's legitimately in the Hart trophy discussion right now, and along with Konecny and Sean Couturier, who's finally seeing the offensive side of his game flourish after years of being seen as more of a defensive forward, they have one of the most effective lines in the league.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »
Flyers better than anybody since 2018? *checks record* Flyers are 17-5-2 so basically the same as the Penguins. They've just played one more game than the Penguins which gives them a point from a second shoot-out loss. Like I said, Philly's been matching their rise.

Young guys stepping up is actually a big part of the Metropolitan division make-up this year. It had happened with the Devils and it's happening with Philly. Penguins have benefited from it with Sheary, Guentzal and Matt Murrey. Maata and Rust have developed nicely and now there's the chance that Zach Aston-Reese, Dominik Simon and Tristan Jarry could also follow in their footsteps and further keep making this team elite. Rookie Mathew Barzal of the Islanders has become the stand-out rookie of the year with Brock Boeser the only other rookie I can think of that could challenge him for the Calder.

On the Ranger's side, I can't think of any young guys really stepping up there and it is there older core which has led to them to start working on a rebuild. Likewise, with Columbus, after a great season last year, a lot of their young guys are regressing this year. And I'm afraid my knowledge about Carolina these days is Jordan Staal (my favorite Penguin of the Baby Pen era), Cam Ward and Jeff Skinner so I can't really comment on whether they've got young talent stepping up or not.

Still, I figured bringing this up would give me a perspective on what's happening with the Flyers since I've lost touch with what is going on in regards to that team similar to Carolina. If a team isn't in the playoffs getting beat by the Ducks or Penguins then its hard for me to care keep track of them. I took a look at the stat race and you are right about Giroux having a comeback year. He's currently tied with McDavid for 3rd. Man, I swear I heard or read about people talking about him as being a possibility for a trade early in the season since Philly didn't have a strong start and the thinking was that his best days were behind him.

I knew Malkin was having a heck of a year for the Penguins and Pens fans have been wondering if he can catch Kucherov and Ovechkin to win the regular season with most points and most goals since he's second in both categories and not too far behind but I didn't realize Giroux was that close until now. I'm further blown away to see Voracek currently has the lead for most assists in the NHL. I've been thinking that it's probably going to be Penguins and Capitals in the second round once again for the third time in a row. But considering they are doing just as well as the Penguins and some guys are having career years, it just might be Pittsburgh and Philly in the second round this year and that could be a crazy match-up. Pens and Flyers play each other Mar. 7 and Mar. 25. I think I'm definitely going to have to tune in to those games and see this Flyer team in action.

A quick couple asides. Normally, I root against the Devils. Have never cared much for the team but I would like to see them make the playoffs purely to let Taylor Hall finally experience NHL playoff hockey. I don't think the experience will last long but I kind of feel bad for the guy and being stuck on the lousy Oiler teams only to get traded before the one year the Oilers make the playoffs and was stuck with a lousy Devils team. Also, I'd like the Penguins to claim Jagr before the deadline. Even if he played a couple games with limited minutes on the fourth line, if they can pull of the three-peat, it would be so fantastic to see him back with the team for this run and they accomplish what him and Mario and the Penguins tried to do in '93 but failed.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2018, 05:21:08 AM »
He is, at least so far. We were talking about it a lot this weekend because they played the Flyers on Sunday.

Well, he's definitely a fan to stick with them despite incompetent ownership / management. (Although I highly suggest he picks a back-up team or has a 1A, 1B situation like I do with Pens and Ducks. Having an East and West team works out pretty good and keeps me invested in a lot more of the league.) That said, I remember when people were shocked about the Bruins trading away Joe Thornton (and basically getting nothing for him in return) and how the thinking was the Bruins had set themselves back for years and maybe they did for a little bit. Compared to the instant success and as well as some long term success for the Sharks, the trade still looks a bit bad. Yet, the Bruins ended up winning the cup about 5 years later and even made it to another Stanley Cup final before the Sharks ever got to one. It took Thornton 10 years with the Sharks to finally get to the Final and ended up losing to the Penguins.

So, even if Ottawa does trade away Karlsson and stick to the basement, maybe they'll actually pull off an amazing rebuild like the Bruins did. I hope not more because I don't like the owner and the Sens fanbase is a bit weird which is understandable with how this franchise has turned out but something about them irritates me. They used to have a lot of players that annoyed me as well but they're pretty much all gone now. So, maybe if ownership was different, I wouldn't be so anti-Sens but I've never found much reason to ever root for them. Last time I can think of wanting to see them win was early 2000s if they played the Devils or Flyers. Other than that, I would then hope they promptly lost and I enjoyed watching them lose to the Leafs repeatedly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:25:44 AM by Linkle Link »