Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 184859 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
Well, the fears from some (like Connectivity) that the Winter Classic wouldn't have been good were founded. Unfortunately, that was due to the Red Wings without Lidstrom and not the Leafs.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
Clearly the refs should have been over in Europe and in the AHL like the players, because they're pretty obviously out of practice. Goaltender interference my ass.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »
The Flyers are 0-2 on opening weekend due to terrible special teams play and even worse officiating. Gave up three power play goals today while going 1 for 8 with the advantage over both games, and had two disallowed goals that should have counted, as well as god knows how many bad penalties called against them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »
I will say that Fleury looked really good, and it's too bad he couldn't have been in his postseason form.

Ha ha. Don't worry. The season's just started. He'll get there. Shame Flyers didn't win Saturday because maybe then they'd have thought they had already won the season and just tanked for the rest of it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
Well, the fears from some (like Connectivity) that the Winter Classic wouldn't have been good were founded. Unfortunately, that was due to the Red Wings without Lidstrom and not the Leafs.

Well, it is early and for whatever reason, the Wings often lose the first couple games. However, I expect the Blues to be the number one team in the West this year also so it could also be a factor of facing an elite team.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
You guys. The Blackhawks are 10-0-2. They've only played two games at home. Patrick Kane seems to have discovered that he can score. Our goalies, both of them, discovered that they can stop the puck. Our penalty kill has been INFINITELY better than last year. In short, things have been about as good as they can be over these first twelve games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
The Flyers are showing signs of life, with 7 points in their last 4 games, the lone loss coming in a shootout. They're looking more like the team I expected to see after a really rough start.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »
My Predators have finally come around, and are starting to move up the division - or down, since they lost to the 'Hawks, and because the Red Wings got a lucky win today. Grrr...

I'm just glad the Blues are under me. But I have to say, I've been enjoying watching 'Hawks and Flyers games this season right along side my Preds. Good stuff.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Ducks! Ducks! Ducks! Ducks! Ducks! Ducks! Ducks! Ducks!

Man, they are off to a good start as well. Really hope they can win division and go deep in the playoffs this year. It's been too long. I've loved watching their games even if they do lose. They just seem fast paced and full of action. And I like their motly crew of different personalities but, of course, Selanne is the real star. Wasn't sure about the hiring of Boudreau last year since I really did like Carlyle and before him was Babcock so they've had two really good coaches in the past decade. So far, the Boudreau regime is paying off which is great.

Penguins are doing alright but there's something lacking about the team this year. I don't know what it is that's off about them. Frankly, I think they've had better teams in the past. A lot of people have high expectations with the Penguins because of Crosby and Malkin but take away them and Neal and I just don't think the rest of their forwards are that great. Even the defence is 50/50 to me right now. You could say the team is made up of guys better suited for the playoffs but the results the last few years haven't shown that. I don't know. There just doesn't seem to be much excitement about the way they play. They just seem to be going through the motions for the most part like they are just waiting until the playoffs. Regardless, they are fine positioning and could still get competative and take the conference. And that's another thing. For a team that is always supposed to be so good, they've only won their division in the past 7 years and have never won the conference. #2 spot is the highest they've finished. Part of that is because the Atlantic division does have really good teams but to me it points out that the team has some weak spots and could use a more competative focus in the regular season.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »
THE BLACKHAWKS MAY NEVER LOSE IN REGULATION

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2013, 02:12:07 AM »
I can see it now: they go the whole regular season without losing in regulation, then get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »
That would be greatly disappointing.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
I could see that though. I mean, there will be a few losses before the playoffs. But unless they completely tank it hard in the next two months, they've got to be considered heavy favorites to win the Stanley Cup and that could create huge pressure especially when a loss or two doesn't matter now but in the playoffs, the margin for error is reduced. With high expectation and pressure, if things go wrong for a game or two, it could cause panic and the team could choke. I think that's a common demise for the President Trophy winners sometimes.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »
Winning the President's Trophy is a good way to get yourself knocked out of the playoffs, unless you're the Red Wings.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2013, 02:06:49 AM »
To be fair, when the Canucks won the President's Trophy two years ago, they did make it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final. Instead of getting knocked out of the playoffs, they just burned their city down instead.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
Anything's possible, especially in the NHL playoffs. Something that I imagine would help the Blackhawks is that the core of this team is the same one that won the Cup in 2010. Experience is never a bad thing.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »
Well, the Blackhawks won the President's Trophy today.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:48 PM »
Just in case anyone who might be at all interested isn't aware, game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals is going into double overtime.

EDIT: Triple.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:33:22 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »
Shaw wins it at 12:08 of triple overtime.

Because it's the Cup.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2013, 11:05:27 PM »
The winners...

...and NEW Stanley Cup champions...

...the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!

xfdbruins
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »
I know CM Punk must be happy.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2013, 01:09:54 AM »
BLACKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWKS!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
The season's still almost a month away, but I'm really pumped for hockey to start. NHL 14 came out last week and is awesome as ever, and I just got out of my fantasy draft for this year. Despite my picking third, consensus number one Steven Stamkos fell to me, and then I managed to get Claude Giroux late in the second round. I like my skaters, but I'm a little thin at goaltender, although two of them have pretty great upside.

Is everybody else ready for some hockey?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
The season's still almost a month away, but I'm really pumped for hockey to start. NHL 14 came out last week and is awesome as ever, and I just got out of my fantasy draft for this year. Despite my picking third, consensus number one Steven Stamkos fell to me, and then I managed to get Claude Giroux late in the second round. I like my skaters, but I'm a little thin at goaltender, although two of them have pretty great upside.

Is everybody else ready for some hockey?
Waiting for my Kids Club eMail.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
Hang on, I'm still trying to find a guy to club David Clarkson onto LTIR.
Tutorial box out.