Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 184877 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
We're a little less than a week out from the start of the season, and I am really excited for it to start. My fantasy draft is in about 20 minutes, and that's making me even more excited. Is everybody else looking forward to it as much as I am?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
I am definatly looking forward to this season. The sharks added some toughness and skill to the blue line and didn't have to give up too much offensive power. Pavelski, Thornton, Marleau line looks awesome so far.  Hopefully niemi gets healthy soon and solidify their goaltending position.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »
I've been taking a different approach this year. I haven't been focusing on the preseason at all. It never seems to matter and throws me off on what to expect for the season. I'm going to wait until a couple days before the season starts and see what the firm rosters are instead of complaining about one guy getting cut or not or expecting another player to be huge after a good camp and just watch when it matters.

As such, I'm still patiently waiting to see my teams in action and I really honestly don't know how things are going so far and I kind of like that. Yet, I'm still a bit nervous on the season. I've mentioned this a few times but my favorite teams are the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Anahiem Mighty forever Ducks. Which is kind of funny since I'm rooting for big rivals of Insanolord's team and Apdude's team. Hey guys! How's it going?

With Pittsburgh, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm sure they'll still be a contender and make the playoffs again but for the past few years, the Atlantic division has been like an arms race and every team in it is tough. Even the Islanders. The biggest problem for Pittsurgh is secondary scoring. After Malkin and Crosby, they've always been weak. I don't think they did anything to bolster that. At least Malkin will be back.

With the Crosby concussion, I think I'll always be nervous every time he takes a hit now. Such a shame. He was having such a great year. I'm curious to see what he'll be like when he finally plays again. How long will it take him to find that level of play again? Being away that long can defintely set a player back. That said, I still think Pittsburgh has the best defence in the Atlantic division and that's what is going to carry them through the season.

As for the Ducks, I'm glad to see Hiller is back and feeling fine. He might be the most important player on that team. And I'm glad Selanne decided to come back another year. Probably my most favorite player in the NHL currently playing. I'm pretty sure this will be it for him. And as such, I hope he doesn't suffer some bad injury that ends it short like has happened to other player such as Joe Sakic or Mike Modano for instance. I'd like to see him get into the playoffs one last time.

Like the Penguins, the Ducks really didn't add much to their roster. They are like a 50/50 team to me. Half the team is exceptional and the other half could be replaced by minor leaguers and you wouldn't notice the difference. Still, the exceptional half makes every game worth watching. In fact, I'm looking forward to watching the Duck games more than the Penguins games. With the talent the Penguins have, I'm amazed at how many dull games they often seem to play. With the Ducks, there seem to be very few dud games. It could be because they had a lot of come from behind victories last year as well. With no real changes to the team, it will probably be the same this year.

Shame though. With a couple other better defencemen and even two good secondary scorers, that could make this team a Cup contender.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 04, 2011, 05:06:26 PM »
I was on vacation so I have not been paying attention to the pre-season.  I'm not sure how I feel about the season.  The Canucks realistically had their best season ever last year (though I prefer 1993-94).  They were the best team in the regular season and made it to the finals.  So how do you top that?  Winning the Stanley Cup is the only way.

I found the playoffs harder to watch last year because of the expectations involved.  The team was good enough that losing in the second or third round would not be acceptable.  It was like "okay, guys, you've got our hopes up so you HAVE to win or we're going to be seriously bummed out!"  Well the expectations are still high.  Every year you get the delusional diehards who say "this year is the year" and I NEVER believe them.  It's very different to feel that your team is merely decent and has some good players and you get excited when they exceed your expectations.  They get on a win streak or beat some big teams in a dominant way and you start thinking "maybe they'll do it" but you don't REALLY believe it so all the success is a fun surprise and the failures don't hit you too bad because you kind of expected them.

But I KNOW the Canucks are capable of winning the Cup.  They weren't some Cinderella team that got hot.  They dominated all season.  So if they have some losing streak at some point, it's going to be a much more panicky situation than it normally is.  I really think they should have beat Boston and was REALLY disappointed in their performance in the finals.  I don't want to learn at one point this season that last year was our one chance and we blew it.  That pins and needles feeling I get when watching Canuck playoff games is going to be there from the first game!  Ugh.  But if they start off strong, I'll probably feel better and get relaxed... until the playoffs of course.

Deep down I don't trust Luongo or the Sedins at all.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
And with that, the Flyers took their first step toward hoisting the cup next June, beating Boston 2-1. They looked really good tonight, and although it's just one game, Bryzgalov played brilliantly, and definitely looked worth the high price they paid for him. I was surprised to see Couturier (their 1st round pick, 8th overall) not just playing, but contributing. Veracek, who we got for Jeff Carter (and who is also on my fantasy team) got a goal in his first game as a Flyer. I am very happy with what I saw here tonight.

Even though ESPN's NHL coverage is generally ****, it was still nice to see Matthew Barnaby pick the Flyers to win it all (over the Canucks; sorry Ian). If they keep it up like they did tonight, I could definitely see that happening.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2011, 11:55:31 AM »
Well the Canucks lost but we lost on a shootout while the stinky Bruins lost in regulation so HAW HAW!

My Mom pointed out something encouraging.  Though the Canucks lost (and really losing to the Pens ain't nothing to be ashamed of) they played hard all night.  None of this bullshit where they take a period off.

When Luongo let in the first goal, I heard boos.  Harsh.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 12, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
Tonight is Flyers-Canucks, which based on preseason predictions (you know how accurate those are) could very well be a Stanley Cup preview.

After one period, the Flyers lead 3-1. A lot of that is due to Vancouver giving up four power plays so far, two of which produced Flyer goals. Then Vancouver got one back on a power play of their own (that PP unit of theirs is damned impressive, it's no wonder the announcers said avoiding it was key for the Flyers), but almost immediately van Riemsdyk responded with the only even-strength goal of the game so far.

Claude Giroux is beginning to emerge as a real star in this league. The first goal of the game was his, his third of the season, and he had assists on both of the others. The second was Pronger from the point, perfectly illustrating why his injury destroyed our power play late last year. They've only played seven periods, but everything I've seen from this team so far this season is making me ecstatic.

EDIT: Through some excellent clutch penalty killing (after stupid, unnecessary penalties), the Flyers edged out Vancouver 5-4. If that really was a preview of the Stanley Cup finals as the analysts would have it, it's going to be one hell of a series come June.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:20:46 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2011, 01:19:12 AM »
Tuesday was an awesome night for me. The Penguins opener against Florida was great fun. 5 star entertainment. Not like that dog of a game against the Oilers. That was 2 star entertainment. Letang is defintely outshining Jordan Staal as the number one star of the Penguins without Malkin and Crosby around. He's been awesome.

Tomorrow night, it's the Capitals, which should be interesting. Early season, still down Malkin and Crosby, how much better has the team gotten playing without them? I'm curious to see. Lately, the Caps have been dominating the rivalry. It's going to be a tense one.

Meanwhile, still waiting to see the Ducks play a game. Never got any of the European games they played. Finally have a chance to see them in action this Friday. Excited to finally see them in action again.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »
I found this and I love it: NHL power rankings using Simpsons quotes to describe all 30 teams.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/powerRankings

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »
The NHL Board of Governors has approved a plan for realignment that would split the league into four conferences.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

Also known as the only conference NBC will pay any attention to.

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

Teams play 5-6 games with each team in their conference and a home-and-home with each team from the other conferences. The top four teams in each conference make the playoffs, and the first round takes place within the conference. The rest of the playoff details haven't been finalized yet.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
Okay they have to name these new conferences the Smythe, Adams, Patrick and Norris conferences.  It is such an obvious way to go and these match up pretty good with the old divisions as well.

There a couple things I don't like.  I don't like having uneven divisions.  Six worked because there were 30 teams.  Four would work with 32 or 28 teams.

I also hate "choke points" in the playoffs.  Every league has them.  Right now the Stanley Cup is between the top team of the two conferences.  As a result the choke point is at the conference championships because if the best teams in the league are in the same conference that's the farthest they can go before they meet up.  If one conference is notably stronger than the other the conference finals are essentially the "real" finals.  The best setup is to just have the top 16 teams in the playoffs and seed them accordingly.  This four conference setup introduces more choke points.  Now the choke point is in the second round.  The NHL had a similar setup during the 80's and early 90's.  In the 80's Calgary was probably the second best team but they constantly lost in the second round to Edmonton because they were in the same division and that was where the choke point was.

Teams with inferior records should not make the playoffs over a better team because of divisional alignment.  Inferior teams should not get an easier path to the finals because of divisional alignment.  The playoff systems of all the big four leagues are designed to lessen travel rather than try to truly give us the best two teams in the finals.

I think they should have just swapped Nashville and Winnipeg and kept the old system.  Keep it simple.  What league realigns their divisions without any change to the total amount of teams?

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »
Well this will be better from a travel standpoint and it will show which teams are really good since everyone will play each other at least twice so the schedules will be more balanced. I feel bad for Winnipeg since they are the only Canadian team in their conference. Will that end up hurting their attendance?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »
As I always say, there's nothing in sports quite as good as playoff hockey, especially when it goes like that. Way to take advantage of home ice, Penguins!

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
**** Aaron Asham and James Neal. A total lack of class today from the Penguins, as they desperately fought a losing battle.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »
lol Canucks.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »
Go Preds! Glad my team took out the Wings at the Joe. Now, if we can win game four, we can take it back to Nashville and win the series at home. Here's hoping!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
I guess before my President's Trophy winning team gets swept in the first round I get a word in.

That word is:

ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
Go Preds! Glad my team took out the Wings at the Joe. Now, if we can win game four, we can take it back to Nashville and win the series at home. Here's hoping!
I hope there playing better in Playoffs then the games I've seen in person this year.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
**** Aaron Asham and James Neal. A total lack of class today from the Penguins, as they desperately fought a losing battle.

Truth. Penguins are completely turning me off right now. I've never seen such a miserable performance from this team like this before. Frankly, I thought they should have switched jerseys since the Penguins are playing the way the Flyers play and the Flyers are playing the way the Penguins play. Insanolord might object to that but I've seen many dirty tactics by the Flyers before and they always seem to goon it up if you will.

Much sadder is that this year, I don't even really hate anybody on the Flyers team. I actually like a lot of the players. I've even mellowed to Hartnell. I'm more upset at the Penguins players and am yelling at them instead of the Flyers. Philly has achieved the greatest victory here. Not only are they completely routing the Pens, they are doing it while making the Pens fans disgusted and ashamed of their own team. There's only star on the Pens right now and that's Jordan Staal. And even he's been weak defensively but at least that's the worse thing I can say about him.

Best of luck to you, Insanolord. I still think the Rangers are going to win the East but for the first time in maybe ever, I'm actually okay if the Flyers win it all. Heck, I still root for Jagr. I can't help. Reason I became a Pens fan.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
Proving once again that the Penguins have the worst broadcast team this side of Boston, a guy on their pregame show was just criticizing the league for suspending Penguins players, going as far as blaming the officiating for James Neal crosschecking a guy in the neck..

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
Well at least we didn't get swept. :(

I've realized that I absolutely do not want the Western Conference to win the Cup.  Look at who's left:

LA - just beat my Canucks so **** them!
St. Louis - boring no-stars trap team that are an embarassment to hockey.  The franchise deserves a cup but not this specific team.
Chicago - archrivals of the Canucks, plus they injured our best player right before the playoffs!
Phoenix - the team owned by the NHL?  Who the hell wants THIS team to win?
Nashville - It's a post-Bettman expansion team in a non-traditional market.  They win the Cup and dozens of fans will be thrilled.

In the East the only team that would offend me with their victory would be the Florida Panthers who have that similar sunbelt expansion stink of the Preds but without years of, you know, being a well run team that consistently makes the playoffs.  A Florida/Nashville finals would probably set record lows for ratings.  Aside from Florida though I'm fine with any of the other Eastern teams (well I still don't really like Boston after last year).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »
Dozens of fans, Ian? I don't know who you're trying to kid, but my hometown goes absolutely bonkers over this hockey team. An arena that seats over 17,000, and we fill it up EVERY freaking night.

My Preds are playing much better hockey in the playoffs than they did all season long. I really, REALLY hope they knock the snot out of Phoenix.

I do agree with your St. Louis sentiment, though. :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »
At work we do a playoff pool every year.  Thus far NONE of my players have gone to the second round.  My remaining players are from New York and New Jersey.  If both teams lose tonight I could lose my entire playoff pool team in the FIRST ROUND.

I'm actually hoping it happens because I'm clearly going to lose anyway so I might as well do it in style.  Edmonton Oilers style! :D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
Scott Howson is a fucking idiot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »
Wow. I imagine what has happened is that no teams were talking to him but the Rangers and they just persistantly wore him down. With no one else even willing to talk after his huge demands, he probably gave up and took the Rangers deal.

Best comment I saw about this:

"In a related story: Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, and Tim Erixon are contemplating retiring from hockey instead of playing for the Blue Jackets."

Ha ha. Don't worry. Howson will trade them away to teams they want to play for just like Carter and Nash.

Still, the Atlantic Division stays crazy tough. I was disappointed the Pens couldn't pick up Parise but they have plenty of cap space to make a move later, even if it is next year. With Parise leaving, it helps weaken the Devils a bit. If the Flyers do acquire Weber, I'd rank the teams as best to worst as Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Devils, Islanders. The Islanders also aren't as bad as they might seem. They've got some good talent but not enough complementary peices and play in what I think is the toughest division.