Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 185470 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2011, 12:14:13 AM »
Haha bruins humiliated the canucks once again. Hopefully they can perform like that again on canadian ice!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2011, 12:48:17 AM »
The Canucks win the first two, barely squeaking out a victory in the final seconds, and then the Bruins come home and even it up with two blowouts. Boston's really in the Canucks' heads right now; their coaching staff really needs to get morale back up.

We're that much closer to my dream scenario of game 7 of the Cup Finals going into multiple overtimes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

The Canucks are a lot like Nintendo.  They're talented, capable of so much potential, constantly face criticism, and when the chips are down they go out there and prove their detractors right. :(

A lot of people here in Vancouver are playing it up as both teams winning their home games which is no big deal.  But as insanolord points out the Vancouver victories were in close games while the Boston victories were in blowouts.  Tim Thomas' play is reminding me of the dead puck era where it was such a huge pain in the ass to score that being behind by even one goal seemed like a huge obstacle.  Though these last two games the Canucks either shoot right in Thomas' chest or miss the net completely.

Everyone sucked these last two games.  Not just Luongo or the Sedins but absolutely EVERYBODY.  And they could seemingly do nothing right.  It felt like you could grab any AHL team, put them in Canucks jerseys and get the same results.  This series will have a major impact on the legacy of the Sedins and Luongo.  All three of them have faced criticism for buckling under the pressure.  Well the pressure is on.  If you're going to prove everyone wrong, now is the time.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
Okay, does Boston drug the water in the visitor's locker room or something?  How does this team just suck so much in Boston?  I blame that game on Luongo.  He let in practically the first two shots on net and the whole team deflated while the Bruins turned it on.

I am quite annoyed that the Bruins are constantly getting in cheap shots on the Canucks.  They punch our guys and slash at their ankles after the whistle but the refs do nothing and yet the media tends to paint the Canucks as the bad guys.  I don't get that.

Anyway, let's hope this "home team wins" pattern continues.  I do have a friend going to Game 7 so I guess this worked out for him at least.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
Boston looks just as bad on Vancouver's ice.  It's really mind boggling.  The Canucks are around -11 in total goals but are poised to win the series all because the Bruins outscored them at home 17-3 but can't seem to find the net in Vancouver.  Those numbers might not be perfect but they're pretty damn close.  Both teams just seem so much faster on their home ice, and Boston is not known for their speed :p It's just really strange

The Bruins aren't saints but I've seen a lot of slashing and bumping from both teams.  Hell, Alex Burrows bit Bergeron's finger and Aaron Rome sent Nathan Horton to the hospital with very late, cheap shot.  Plus, Luongo's comments about Tim Thomas aren't helping their PR problems and were particularly hilarious after last night's performance.

Anyway, I don't have too much of an emotional investment in this series but I would be disappointed to see the Canucks win after getting destroyed in every game in Boston.  The Vancouver games have at least been close.  But whatever, the Heat lost the NBA finals so justice has been served in the world of sports.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
Okay, here we go. Game 7: double overtime. The greatest thing in the history of sports. Make it happen!

J.P. Corbran

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2011, 12:25:31 AM »
I hope so. There have been 5 game 7 Stanley Cup finals the past 10 years and none have gone to overtime. And with no real vested interest in this result, (I'm quite fine with either team winning and don't hate one over the other), this would be awesome to finally see.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
It'd be the first game 7 overtime in the Cup finals since the Eisenhower administration.

I'm personally rooting for a meteor strike, though.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
It's official.  Boston won the Joe Tornton trade.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2011, 12:48:22 AM »
I honestly feel bad for Vancouver fans.  Your team is obviously very talented but they cannot play from behind.  Score one goal early in the game and mentally they can't seem to recover.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:56:02 AM by KnowsNothing »

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2011, 04:31:03 AM »
Riots in Vancouver
the only thing that can override Canadian politeness is Hockey, go figure.

stay classy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:33:12 AM by Lithium »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »
Nice to see that not only does the team embarass Vancouver but a bunch of rioters do as well.

After Game Six I came home and realized that the Canucks didn't deserve to win the Cup.  After getting blown out every time in Boston in such an embarassing fashion, I realized that if I wasn't a Canucks fan I would be upset to see such a team win the Cup.  They did the same thing with Chicago and that should have been the warning sign.

To try to make myself feel better I've told myself that other teams have lost in the finals only to win a few years later.  Yzerman's Red Wings lost in 1995 and won it in 1997.  Crosby's Penguins lost in 2008 an won in 2009.  This isn't the fluke team of '82 or the overachieving team of '94.  With those teams we knew that was our only shot.  The 2011 Vancouver Canucks were contenders throughout the season and should be expected to contend again.  But I don't trust our star guys.  The Sedins are hot and cold in the playoffs and Luongo is emotionally fragile.  We need another piece to be able to carry the team on his back when those guys go cold.  Maybe those guys can turn it around but I sure as hell am not trusting them until they do.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Last year the Bruins were up 3-0 in a series and up 3-0 in game 7 and they blew it.  The Celtics won the NBA Finals in 2008, were eliminated in 2009, and went back to the Finals in 2010. You guys are a good team and will have another shot. I feel terrible for the city though for having to put up with those insane rioters, that's just inexcusable.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
Nice to see that not only does the team embarass Vancouver but a bunch of rioters do as well.

After Game Six I came home and realized that the Canucks didn't deserve to win the Cup.  After getting blown out every time in Boston in such an embarassing fashion, I realized that if I wasn't a Canucks fan I would be upset to see such a team win the Cup.  They did the same thing with Chicago and that should have been the warning sign.

To try to make myself feel better I've told myself that other teams have lost in the finals only to win a few years later.  Yzerman's Red Wings lost in 1995 and won it in 1997.  Crosby's Penguins lost in 2008 an won in 2009.  This isn't the fluke team of '82 or the overachieving team of '94.  With those teams we knew that was our only shot.  The 2011 Vancouver Canucks were contenders throughout the season and should be expected to contend again.  But I don't trust our star guys.  The Sedins are hot and cold in the playoffs and Luongo is emotionally fragile.  We need another piece to be able to carry the team on his back when those guys go cold.  Maybe those guys can turn it around but I sure as hell am not trusting them until they do.

yeah i agree, the Canucks didn't really deserve to win, and i say this as a Canucks fan, espesially since they were acting like goons this entire series and all the praise went to Lulongo's head and he became pretty arrogant so those humiliating defeats in Boston and game 7 was karma in my opinion.

on an unrelated note: I loled pretty hard when i saw that all the ads for Boston Pizza had Boston crossed out and had Vancouver written under it
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:01:17 PM by Lithium »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Montreal did that 2 seasons ago when they faced the Bruins in the playoffs and it worked out about as well.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
According to ESPN, the new Winnipeg team will indeed be called the Jets.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
I can't believe I missed that Pic its awesome.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »
I'm glad to hear they're going with the Jets name.  But they can still **** things up with an ugly uniform and logo so we'll see how things go tonight at the draft.

Seriously though it would have been just throwing money down the toilet to not use the Jets name.  EVERYONE has been calling them that.  When the press conference was done in Winnipeg, the vast majority of the fans were wearing Jets jerseys.  If a no-brainer decision like THAT goes sailing over your head, how are you going to get the other more important hockey stuff right?  For every shitty team that never competes there is a clueless ownership group at the top that routinely gets even the easy stuff wrong.  This name decision was the first test to see if the ownership is competent.

Though right now the big news is that Philly has unexpectently blown up a roster that brought them to finals only two seasons ago and was considered a contender most of last season.  And they've got a questionable goalie locked up longterm.  They're taking some big risks and I would be shitting bricks if I was a Philly fan.  And the worse thing is that they gave Mike Richards to the Kings.  I don't need good Western Conference teams getting better!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:09:31 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2011, 04:32:52 PM »
They could have pulled a Nintendo and called themselves Uer.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »
They didn't "blow up" the roster. The only guys we lost were Carter, who has never been a factor in the postseason runs they've had, and Richards, who, as great as he is, was our third line Center. We still have Briere and Giroux and JVR, and everyone on that fantastic defense.

As for the goalie, maybe he was questionable because of the guys he had in front of him. Even without Carter and Richards, the Flyers can score, and they're stacked defensively from Pronger and Timonen all the way down. It's an ideal situation for a goalie. And if he's a flop, they'll send him down to the AHL to get him off the cap and sign someone else.

The way I see it, the team is still very much a contender for the cup.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
[img width=640 height=426]<Fake Image>
Fake: http://gizmodo.com/5815233/the-video-of-the-kiss-that-wasnt-a-kiss.
Still an awesome picture even if their not actually kissing.  Honestly you could replace the couple with Snugglufacus and it would still be a cool picture.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
Oh... my bad.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2011, 04:55:09 PM »
Well it's free agent day and it looks like the Flyers have been busy.  Looks like they are trying to buy up the cross state rivals players.  How many goals you think Jagr still has in him?  For 3.3mil it better be >25.

The Sharks did a sign and trade of Setoguchi.  Not sure I like how it happened but we were able to get a true 2nd defensman to go with Boyle.  Hopefully Wilson can pick up another piece or two to go improve the sharks blue line depth or hope the young guys can step it up.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »
It's going to be a radically different Flyers team taking the ice this fall. Quite a gamble, considering how well the team had done recently.

J.P. Corbran