Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 184938 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »
I agree.  If your team won a championship recently enough that there are active players from that championship team still playing, then it is too soon to complain.

Of the remaining teams Vancouver, Boston, Washington and Philly have had the longest droughts, each exceeding 30 years (and Van and Wash have NEVER won).  Although I want Vancouver to win, I have sympathy for the fanbases of those other teams.  Everyone else has either won too recently or has not been around long enough.

Sorry, apdude, but the Sharks have not been around long enough for me to sympathize with them either.  I still tend to think of the Sharks as a relatively new team and yet they're almost 20.  ****, I feel old.  The Preds seem like an expansion team to me and they're over 10 years old now!

30 years of drought seems like a good minimum before you start feeling sorry for a fanbase.  It gives enough time for someone to grow to adulthood and even have kids of their own without ever seeing their team win a title.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
No team I am a fan of in any sport has won a championship in my lifetime. I'm due.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »

Sorry, apdude, but the Sharks have not been around long enough for me to sympathize with them either.  I still tend to think of the Sharks as a relatively new team and yet they're almost 20.  ****, I feel old. 

We may not be long suffering, but when the "Mighty Ducks" have already won one and we haven't it hurts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »
  No team I am a fan of in any sport has won a championship in my lifetime. I'm due.

So you either don't like baseball or your Philly loyalties don't extend to other sports.

If I only stuck with Pacific Northwest teams I could say the same but for baseball my team is the Toronto Blue Jays who did win back-to-back World Series in the early 90's.  And that was quite a thrill.  It really is super awesome when your team wins.

And the BC Lions have also won 4 Grey Cups in my lifetime but that's CFL.  That's like MLS level and only a step above arena football and the WNBA.

Team Canada winning Olympic Gold Medals in hockey in 2002 and 2010 were both really exciting though.  Both had something special to them to with 2002 being the first gold in 50 years and 2010 being in Vancouver.  I don't know if the US winning Gold medals has the same effect for Americans.  Canada is like a rinky-dink country in the grand scheme of things so Olympic Gold is a big deal to us.

Watching the Mighty Ducks win was pretty annoying.  2004-07 fucking sucked as Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim all won.  Each was like barely ten years old (if you discount Carolina's time as the Hartford Whalers, which makes sense since it would have been a different fanbase) in non-traditional hockey markets where I question how many dedicated fans actually care about them.

Carolina's is the worst because those idiots had missed the playoffs the previous two seasons and then would miss them again for the next two.  They are the very definition of a fluke team.  And the worst thing is that every three or years or so that they do make the playoffs they always go deep making it to at least the conference finals.  They're the Florida Marlins of hockey, being completely irrelevant for years and years only to periodically pop up and break the hearts of another team's fans.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2011, 05:20:36 PM »
Watching the Mighty Ducks win was pretty annoying.  2004-07 fucking sucked as Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim all won.  Each was like barely ten years old (if you discount Carolina's time as the Hartford Whalers, which makes sense since it would have been a different fanbase) in non-traditional hockey markets where I question how many dedicated fans actually care about them.

In the case of the Ducks, not much.  I went to a game there.  They didn't show up till the end of the first.  The sharks took a 3-1 lead into the 2nd intermission, and most people left.  It's more of a novelty than something people are actually interested in.  It was pretty sad, but that's Southern California for you.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
From what I've seen, Carolina has a really solid fan base. Between that and their history in Hartford, I have no problem with them winning. I've never liked it that there are two teams in Florida and two teams in Southern California, so to hell with Tampa Bay and Anaheim, though.

So you either don't like baseball or your Philly loyalties don't extend to other sports.

I actually live in Erie, Pennsylvania, which, if you couldn't guess, borders on Lake Erie, the exact opposite end of the state as Philly. I'm a Flyers fan because my dad is a Flyers fan, and he's a Flyers fan because a lot of his friends in college at Penn State were Flyers fans, being from that end of the state. In football and baseball (I don't care for basketball) I'm a Cleveland fan. The Browns haven't won one since the '60s, and the Indians' last World Series win was in 1949.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
Well that game was the most boring **** I've seen a while.  Hey the Canucks won so I'm happy there but either Nashville had an off game or Anaheim REALLY sucks to lose to those guys.  All night the Preds were moving in slow motion and the Canucks were going just fast enough to be ahead of them.  Totally the opposite of the Chicago series where both teams were going 100 miles an hour.

Nashville is giving me the vibe of one of those old trap teams like the Minnesota Wild where they stick so close to their defensive system that even when they're behind they refuse to take risks to score.  The key to beat such teams is to simply score first.

Nashville actually had a chance to play a pretty exhausted team.  I'll thank them for offering such a weak challenge to let my guys catch their breath.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
Well that game was the most boring **** I've seen a while.  Hey the Canucks won so I'm happy there but either Nashville had an off game or Anaheim REALLY sucks to lose to those guys.  All night the Preds were moving in slow motion and the Canucks were going just fast enough to be ahead of them.  Totally the opposite of the Chicago series where both teams were going 100 miles an hour.

Nashville is giving me the vibe of one of those old trap teams like the Minnesota Wild where they stick so close to their defensive system that even when they're behind they refuse to take risks to score.  The key to beat such teams is to simply score first.

Nashville actually had a chance to play a pretty exhausted team.  I'll thank them for offering such a weak challenge to let my guys catch their breath.

Even though it was a 1 point game if I read write.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
Nashville definitely didn't play like they normally do. I think they had a case of what I like to call "weak skates." They've been off for several days. They'll fire back in game two.

Go Preds! ^_^
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »
Preds win. 
I've just finished reading the recap.  Sound like an extremely long game, first in Pred history but more impressively third in Canuck, that was dominated by goal tending.  I'll have to see the video but it sounds like the puck was going everywhere through the game but no one could really convert to goals.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Renne "stood on his head" and basicly stole the game for Nashville, but that's what you need in the playoffs.  Sharks looking good against Detroit so far.  They are playing them much harder then the efforts they were putting into the LA series.  Hope they can take at least one game in Detroit and make this a short series and hopfully remove the choker label once an for all.  Plus it looks like they will need the rest because Nashville and Vancouver look like pretty tough opponents.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
Sound like an extremely long game, first in Pred history but more impressively third in Canuck, that was dominated by goal tending.

Yes, and it was boring horseshit yet again.  The worst thing about losing the other night is that there will now be at least five games in this horrible series.

I was pretty pissed off that Vancouver gave up the tying goal with like a minute left.  This is Luongo's trademark.  It happened in game seven against Chicago and it even happened in the Olympic Gold Medal game.  I can't relax if the Canucks are only up by one.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2011, 12:07:50 PM »
Last night was worth watching entirely for Ryan Kesler's "split the defense" goal to win the game!  I've gotten very sick of this formula where the Canucks get a lead and Preds meander around for a little while as their goalie stands on his head and then play their one good shift per period and tie it up.  We needed someone to just say "**** this ****!  I'm scoring!"  And Kesler did that with an AWESOME goal, put going through two defensemen like they were pylons!

Now let's keep that "**** you" attitude going and squash them on Saturday and move to the conference finals where apdude and I will suddenly become mortal enemies. ;)

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
The Flyers goaltending, after being the best I've ever seen it be for most of the season, has been inexcusably awful in the playoffs. At least Pittsburgh's out and Detroit's all but out, so I've got nothing against any of the remaining teams. I'll just be rooting for good hockey the rest of the way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
Now let's keep that "**** you" attitude going and squash them on Saturday and move to the conference finals where apdude and I will suddenly become mortal enemies. ;)

Looks like we will have to wait.  Arggg...  the sharks may be good in OT but they are terrible in the final 5 min of the third recently.  I've never seen Marleau look so invisible as he has in this series.  Terrible.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2011, 12:09:59 PM »
Saturday night's game was the first entertaining one I've seen in this series yet.  But those stupid preds still won!  Damn it!  And they were super flukes too with the guy who scored two goals so much as admitting it in the interview afterwards.  Hell, they scored one by flicking the puck over the net from behind and bouncing it off one of our guys.  Then later we almost scored on our own net due to a weird bounce off a pass.

Still I have noticed that the Sedins have sucked lately.  Not just that they aren't scoring but those two or three shifts a night the Preds actually get shots on net?  The Sedins are always on the ice!  Every fucking time we get scored on it's them half-assing on defense.  If they're going to get soft in the playoffs and stop scoring that is one thing but they sure as **** shouldn't be a defensive liability.

Kesler meanwhile is playing his balls off.  He does not deserve to lose.  He should go up to the Sedins and clonk their heads together.  If the Sedins don't get their **** together they should strip Henrik of the captaincy and give it to Kesler.  Anyone who shrinks in the playoffs does not deserve the 'C'.  Kesler has earned it.

I always find it weird how guys can disappear in a playoff series.  I get it if you don't end up scoring but even then you should still be getting lots of shots on the net and it just isn't going your way.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »
Really hope the Preds force game 7 tonight. They've played a spectacular series against the Canucks so far, and are definitely deserving of moving on to the next round.

Keep fighting, Preds! Stand with us!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
Oh yeah!  First time to the conference finals since 1994!

Now I have to wait for San Jose.  I don't wish blowing a 3-0 lead on anyone (except Chicago, hee hee) so I'll be cheering for the Sharks for the next few days.  Though if Detroit wanted to force a game seven and tire the Sharks out, that would be okay. ;)

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »
I'm still cautiously optomistic about tonights game because I think the Sharks have outplayed Detroit for the most part in this series.  Detroit has only been able to muster about 15-20 minutes of old time Detroit hockey per game.  If the Sharks can weather that and Niemi can come up with a big save or two they will win.  I hope Roenick's (one of my all time favorite players) comments light a fire in Marleau and the entire team to step it up.

Glad Vancouver won so if the Sharks can advance it will be a Pacific time zone series so I can watch the entire game instead of getting home work sometime late in the first period.  But what worries me is Kesler looks like a playoff monster right now. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:58:36 PM by apdude »

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »
Oh man, that was nuts!  I was at my parents' last night for dinner and they had the Detroit/San Jose game on.  I left almost halfway into the third with San Jose up by one figuring they either had it or it would be overtime by the time I get home.  I get home, check online and Detroit won?!  Huh?  Not won in overtime but somehow won in regulation?!

So apdude is probably not in a good mood today.  Game 7 against Chicago was the most uncomfortable game I've ever watched.  Now Shark fans have to go through the same thing only a round later.

I hope San Jose wins it because I don't like the idea of Detroit overcoming a 3-0 deficit coming into the conference finals.  You don't make that sort of comeback only to get swept in the next round.  They'll have momentum and a "team of destiny" confidence if they pull it off and I don't want to face that.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
To tell you the truth SJ had nothing going last night.  Actually all three of these losses have progressively gotten harder to watch.  Game 4 they score 3 to tie it then lose it at the end of the 3rd.  Game 5 they lost a 2 goal lead in the 3rd.  Game 6 they were out classed but somehow had a lead and then gave up goals quickly after.  This series has been crazy with all the 1 goal games, and I don't think I've ever seen a series play out like that the whole time.

Hopefully Clowe will be back for game 7 because he's been our Kesler, and they empty the gas tank to get the win.  Either way both of theses teams will be a big underdog to Vancouver, but I'd also be more nervous playing against Detroit at this point even though most of there players are banged up.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
Well 2hrs to go till game 7 and nervous anticipation is starting to set in. 

My girlfriend's best-friend got tickets from her work so they will be going to the game!  So jelous. 

God I hope the Sharks can pull off the win instead of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like is their usuall MO.  That being said this has been the best series I've ever seen.  Great hockey from both teams, but I guess thats what you get from a 2-3 matchup.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
Sharks vs. Canucks.  One of the teams everyone makes fun of for underachieving in the playoffs is going to the finals.

While I obviously want the Canucks to win, as a general hockey fan I'm mostly happy with the final four.  San Jose and Vancouver have never won the cup and Boston hasn't won since the 70's.  All three would be worthy winners.  And then there's Tampa Bay who won the cup only six years ago, then sucked so they got a gimme number one pick and are back in the finals with two of their top stars remaining from the cup team.  **** THAT!  It would be super lame if they won it.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »
I really hope Boston advances, but Tampa has a lot of weapons and Rolason is just one of those goalies that's hard to beat in the playoffs for some reason.

I want the Sharks/Canucks series to be another good one, but I've got a bad feeling that the Canucks will blow us out.  The Sharks just are not fast enough anymore.  If they can limit Kesler and stay out of the box they have a chance. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2011, 06:30:51 AM »

Dayuuuuuum!!!!