Author Topic: 1001 Books and Movies Before I Die  (Read 2729 times)

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
1001 Books and Movies Before I Die
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
Hello once again,

I have recently started a blog where I record my journey as I attempt to read all 1001 books and watch all 1056 movies before I turn 21. This will be in approximately 5 years. I would appreciate it if someone here would observe my reviews and possibly give reccommendations on how to improve my writing, as many of the staff regularly write reviews.
www.2057booksandmovies.blogspot.com

Thank you,
Jeffrey
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: 1001 Books and Movies Before I Die
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
Feel free to re-post a few of your movie reviews in our "rate your last movie" thread.

Maybe that would draw a few people onto your site to check out some of your other reviews.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:01 AM »
This might seem like a good idea when you're 16, but reading a book every two days when you actually have a social life is gonna get pretty hard. The movies one is easy.

Unless you're a home-schooled hermit or an absolute social retard, you won't pull this off.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:39:41 AM »
i can't so much help you with books, but i can recommend movies
more to come im sleepy

Drama
-Citizen Kane
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Metropolis
-Sabotuer
-The Godfather Trilogy
-Network

Comedy
--Annie Hall
--Happy Madison Movies
--Ben Stiller Movies
--Judd Apatow Produced Movies
--Broken Lizard Movies(even the not good ones are still funny)
--Anything with former SNL cast
--Three Amigos

Action
-Greek Mythology
--Jason and the argonauts
--Clash of the Titans(original)
--Troy
--Television Movie The Oddysee (1997)

-Arabian Nights
--Seven Voyages of Sinbad

-Western
--The Magnificent Seven
--A Fistfull of Dolars
--A Few Dollars More
--The Good the Bad and the Ugly
--Maverick -(watch these)
--Lightning Jack- (Together)

-Cops and Robbers
--Dirty Hairy
--Die Hard
--Pulp Fiction
--Reservior Dogs
--Heat
--The Usual Suspects
--Point Break

-With Katanas
--Yojimbo
--Seven Samurai
--The Last Samurai
--Ninja Assassin
--Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

-Korean
--Old Boy
--Attack the Gas Station

Kung Fu
--Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
--Drunken Master
--Tai Chi Master aka Twin Warriors (Jet Li 1993)
--Once upon a time in China
--Drunken Tai Chi (Siu taai gik)
--Enter the Dragon
--Kung Fu Hustle
--Kung Pow
--The Last Dragon
--Mortal Kombat
--Big Trouble in Little China
--House of Flying Daggers
--Hero
--Curse of the Golden Flower (laugh at Black Ninjas in colorful castles not getting caught)

-British
--Rockinrolla
--Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrels
--Layer Cake
--The Bank Job
--Snatch

-Super Hero/Vigilantee
--Batman 1-3
--Batman Begins
--The Dark Knight
--Spiderman 1 & 2
--Darkman 1-3
--Ninja Turtles 1 & 2, and the animated one as well
--Kick-Ass(i will go juswt by the trailer and word of mouth)
--Watchman
--Superman 1, 2 & returns
--Iron Man
-The Incredable Hulk (not Hulk)
--X-men Origins: Wolverine
--Robocop
--The Mask
--Boondock Saints

-classics
--First Blood
--Gran Torino
--Deer Hunter
--King Kong
--Godzilla

Horror
-Cult
--Rosemary's Baby
--The Omen
--The Excorcist

-Zombie or Viral Outbreak
--Night of the Living Dead (original) watch Savini's version too, but skip the 3d one
--Lucio Fulci's Zombi
--Dawn of the Dead 78
--Dawn of the Dead 04
--Shawn of the Dead
--The Crazies (original)
--28 Days Later
--28 weeks Later

-Director Dario Argento
--Tenebre
--Suspiria
--Jennifer

-Vampire
--Nosferatu
--Universal's Dracula
--Bram Stoker's Dracula
--Lost Boys
--Fright Night

-Supernatural
--The Ring
--Sixth Sense
--Stir of Echos
--Poltergeist
--Guillermo Del Torro's El espinazo del diablo
--The Shining

-Slasher
--Friday the 13th
--Halloween
--My Bloody Valentine(original)
--House of 1000 Corpses

-Serial Killer (crosses over with action)
--Se7en
--Mr. Brooks
--Silence of the Lambs
--Hannibal
--Hannibal Rising
--Man Hunter
--Red Dragon

-Crazy stuff
--Last House on the Left
--House at the Edge of the Park
--The Devil's Rejects

-Isolated/foreign Destination
--Canibal Holocaust
--The Hills Have Eyes
--Detour
--Texas Chainsaw Massacre (i watched the remake)
--Hostel 1 & 2
--Touristas
--The Ruins ( I actually busted out laughing in the theater for this one)

-Anthology Horror
--Tales From the Crypt(70s)
--The Willies
--Tales from the Hood

-classic
--The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
--Frankenstein
--The Mummy

SciFi
--Predator
--Gattaca
--Logan's Run
--Aliens(im sorry still havent seen Alien)
--Star Wars Trilogy
--Dune
--Invasion of the Body Snatchers
--The Thing
--Back to the Future Trilogy
--Star Trek Movies
--Delicatesson
--A Boy and his Dog
-- Night of the Comet
--The Road Warrior Trilogy
--The Matrix
--Terminator 1 & 2

War
--Full Metal Jacket
--Platoon
--Rambo: First Blood Part II
--Dogs of War
--Saving Private Ryan
--The Great Escape
--The Guns of Navarone
--Inglorious Bastards
--The Hurt Locker
--Apocalypse Now
--Enemy at the Gate
--Behind Enemy Lines

Drug Movies
--The Doors
--Blow
--Half Baked
--Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
--Transpotting
--Scarface
--Boogie Nights

Fantasy
--The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
--Willow
--Krull
--The Wizard of Oz
--Conan The Barbarian
--Harry Potter Movies
--The Never Ending Story
--The Dark Crystal
--The Labyrinth
--A Princess Bride
--Stardust
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:32:47 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
This might seem like a good idea when you're 16, but reading a book every two days when you actually have a social life is gonna get pretty hard. The movies one is easy.

Unless you're a home-schooled hermit or an absolute social retard, you won't pull this off.

Actually, I am neither of those, just a guy who really likes to read in his spare time (which I have a lot of at the moment.)

Let's see then... According to my schedule, I should have 65 books and movies done by the first day of September. If I don't, then you're probably right, I won't finish it. If I do get there, however, then I'm absolutely correct, and you are making wild claims about a person you know nothing about.

By the way, I worked at a library for 5 years and have met the Librarian of Congress, so I really like books.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
more to come im sleepy

He's not just watching a random selection of movies, I assume he's already got his list from the book "1001 Movies you must see before you die". I am curious about which edition you're going by, because they do update it every year, don't they?

Actually, I am neither of those, just a guy who really likes to read in his spare time (which I have a lot of at the moment.)

Let's see then... According to my schedule, I should have 65 books and movies done by the first day of September. If I don't, then you're probably right, I won't finish it. If I do get there, however, then I'm absolutely correct, and you are making wild claims about a person you know nothing about.

By the way, I worked at a library for 5 years and have met the Librarian of Congress, so I really like books.

I really like books as well, I probably read about one every week or two. But 200 books a year is extreme, especially considering the length of some of the books on the list. Something like this will take up a lot, if not all, of your spare time, spare time that could be better used doing normal things like hanging with friends and chasing girls.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »

I really like books as well, I probably read about one every week or two. But 200 books a year is extreme, especially considering the length of some of the books on the list. Something like this will take up a lot, if not all, of your spare time, spare time that could be better used doing normal things like hanging with friends and chasing girls.

I actually do have a normal social life. I hang out with my friends very often, but I still find time to read. I can read a lot faster than most of my friends, and last year alone I read 300 decently sized books. Therefore, I don't think the fact that I would have to read 200 books every year will stop me.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
more to come im sleepy

He's not just watching a random selection of movies, I assume he's already got his list from the book "1001 Movies you must see before you die". I am curious about which edition you're going by, because they do update it every year, don't they?

huh, i figured if theres 1001 i could just list most movies by genre. I didn't grab the list from anywhere, except the top of my head. I have probably seen like 8000 movies, but even so iv probably seen only 45 of the usual top 100. Plus after about 4 years it becomes hard to remember a movie, only the best ones stick in your head. Its really hard to watch a new movie everyday, i have tried. However, libraries have gotten good about making the rental companies look bad, thats how i watched Citizen Kane.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post