Author Topic: NWR's WorldWide Test Kitchen  (Read 196399 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: NWR's WorldWide Test Kitchen
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
That looks fantabulous.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
OMG tonites was even better than last time.

I didn't take a pic of tonites, but it looked perfect. I threw out the last of the seasoned flour, but it was a uniform beige color and the chicken tasted just like KFC minus all the grease. SoGood.gif

Had it with some spaghetti that I had to get all fancy with because my girl cheaped out and bought some canned sauce. It turned out good which I think is a miracle considering what I had to start with.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »
I hooked up a London Broil last nite and it was delicious!

I was watching a s5 or 6 episode of the Sopranos where Tony gets a London Broil thrown at his head and it just looked so damn good that I had to have one.

It took me a few weeks to get around to cooking it, but it turned out really good.
I'll update with a pic later.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »
I forgot to mention this.  I tried yesterday to make a Pork Gravy from the leftovers of Pulled Pork my wife cooked in the crock pot.  I run the drippings through a mesh strainer to get tha larger parts out a few times throughout the process.  Add some pepper and tried to thicken with Corn Starch.  Even though I used the corn starch right it didn't thicken like my mother's or Grandmother's.  I plan to try some on something tonight.

I also made a Pepperoni Sandwich yesterday.  I know I know but hear me out.  First heat up your griddle or Frying pan.  Place about 5 large deli Pepperoni's in the pan.  Wait until they have puffed up like little domes.  Then Flip them.  They should keep cooking and look like little browned hats when their done.  While that is going on have your bread on the griddle toasting, I like to put my pieces where they Pepperoni's where before they where flipped.  Put a piece of Colby-Jack on the bread, transfer the pepperonis, and add a little spicy brown mustard (or regular).  Walla Done!  If you like browned cheese then you'll like this sandwich.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:08:40 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
Gravy from scratch is my biggest (and only) failing in the kitchen to this day. (::knocks on wood: :)

I've asked my mom several times how she does it, but everytime I try to replicate it, it's always something I'm afraid to eat.

I think I know how to do it now though... but I won't know for sure till the next time I have some pork,  sausage or chicken juice left over. I had her step by step it to me the other day (for the 5th time), so I think I might get it right next time.

I can use chicken right? what about Beef? can you make a beef based gravy?

This is what she told me (that I can remember)
-save a little of the grease/dripping in a skillet or sauce pan. (can use broth in place of grease/drippings)
-add just enough flour to make a paste
-add some water and stir over low heat until gravy hits desired thickness. (add more flour if necessary)
-(optionally add pre-sauteed onions and/or mushrooms to make a fancy gravy to go with food)

Is that the correct way to do it?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
How my Grandma does it is:

1.  Have some dripping
2.  In a seperate container add some cold water and cornstarch
3.  Mix till smooth
4.  Stir in the Cornstarch mixture to thicken
5.  Salt and Pepper to taste

My Mom does
1.  Have some dripping
2.  In a seperate container add some water and flour
3.  Mix till smooth
5.  Filter out all the giblets (The drippings through a mesh strainer.  You can put to the side people like these.)
6.  Stir in the the Flour Mixture
7.  Add some Maggi and Pepper

I now the people who make gravy on TV almost always want to use Chicken broth it seems.  I too have a bit of a problem getting it the consistancy that my mom and grandma can but, I think that is me worring about to much  flour or cornstarch.  Though I did once make gravy from the leftovers of making Cheeseburgers.  It was interesting.  My Wife and I can't make a good white gravy.  She tries but, it never comes out that great.

So yeah it seems that all the basic are their.

I can use chicken right? what about Beef? can you make a beef based gravy?

Yeah, anything that produces drippings.  My Mom really only makes gravy with her beef roasts for the Mash potatoes, which if you haven't made mash potatoes with a Potatoe Ricer your missing out.  They come out fluffy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:12:20 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
London Broil
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
My London Broil

Ingredients:
1 London Broil Steak
1 Tablespoon of Meat Tenderizer
3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic (with garlic juice)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Oregano

Prep Time ~ 20-30 minutes
Sit/Marinade Time ~ 6-24hrs
Cook Time ~ 15-20 minutes

Step 1:
Score your meat on both sides in a diamond shaped pattern (~1 1/2" diamonds) and sprinkle Meat Tenderizer evenly on both sides.
Wrap the meat and set in fridge for about an hour

Step 2:
Mix all other ingredients into a bowl and set aside. Mixture should be very liquidy.

Step 3:
After hour is up, remove meat from fridge, unwrap, and stab with fork all over on both sides.
Now rub your marinade mixture all over both sides of the meat. Make sure you get it all in the diamond cuts.

Step 4:
Wrap meat tightly in foil and place in the fridge to marinate for atleast 5-6 hours. I marinated mine for 26 hrs as I prepped mine the previous day. Flip the meat every few hours that it is marinading.

After 26hrs of Marinating

(Just so you have an idea of how big this steak is, the pan it is in is ~15" across)

Step 5:
Turn your broiler on high or prep your Grill and get it hot. I used my oven's broiler.
Cook meat on each side for about 7-10 minutes depending on how well done you want your meat.
I cooked mine for 7 minutes on each side.

After 7 minutes in the Broiler

7 minutes after that, flipped over (Rare)

Served up Rare

I put it back in for an extra 1-2 minutes per side after I took the pic, but it was delicious, tender, juicy & all around flavorful as is in the pic.

Mmm Mmm Mmm. I just ate a left over piece cold. Still juicy and tender right out of the fridge.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:03:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
My dad is a gravy king, and I inhertied his ability to make gravy. Here is how we do it.

Turn your pan down to medium low
- drippings/leavings in a pan after cooking. This already has some natural grease
- some flour (we just eyeball it)
- some milk (we just eyeball this too)
- salt and pepper (I like a lot of pepper)
you whisk this like crazy to get out the lumps and it will thicken pretty quick. Serve over potatoes or bread or cube steak. ON NOM NOM

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
My dad is a gravy king, and I inhertied his ability to make gravy. Here is how we do it.

Turn your pan down to medium low
- drippings/leavings in a pan after cooking. This already has some natural grease
- some flour (we just eyeball it)
- some milk (we just eyeball this too)
- salt and pepper (I like a lot of pepper)
you whisk this like crazy to get out the lumps and it will thicken pretty quick. Serve over potatoes or bread or cube steak. ON NOM NOM
So you use milk.  I've thought about that before but, I've never ventured that way.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »
I don't know why gravy is so popular when you can simply take the juices straight from the pot the turkey/chicken/beef/lamb is sitting in and spoon it on top of already delicious meat/mash potatoes/stuffing. Plus, the stock can be used to a way better extent to make awesomely delicious soup.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2011, 10:01:06 PM »
Gravy is just gravy man.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:08 AM »
wheres the permtown giant sandwich?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2011, 03:09:34 AM »
hahaha I should make one. I keep hearing about the giant taco.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
I don't know why gravy is so popular when you can simply take the juices straight from the pot the turkey/chicken/beef/lamb is sitting in and spoon it on top of already delicious meat/mash potatoes/stuffing. Plus, the stock can be used to a way better extent to make awesomely delicious soup.

It gives the sauce a better texture, and if done right it improves the presentation as well.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:07 AM »
I've been on a stir fry kick lately

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »
I made a Sausage Quiche the other day.  It turned out well and then tried to use the Shy method of making gravy.  Ended up with to much flour so I baked them like cookies.  They came out ok though next time I'm going to actually try one of those base cookie recipes because I think this has some potential.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »
hmm I'm guessing for a 12 inch fry pan of leavings I use about a quarter cup of flour, give or take a few tablespoons.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »
Alright so My Son and I made Lemonade last night.  We followed ShyGuy recipe.  It came out good.  Took a bag of lemons minus 1 or 2 to get the cup of Lemonade juice.  My son enjoyed using the juicer.  The syrup was fast and easy to make.  Did 1 to 1 to 5 ratios and I might actually cut the water down to 4 cups instead next time.  Maybe actually use ice instead of liquid water and mix the lemon and syrup together while its hot and mix it into the ice to melt it.  Actually did Lemon, Syrup, then Water this time.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2011, 12:00:15 PM »
Going to be making a Lemon Meringue Pie after I go to the store.I will probably post the ingredients later tonight or sometime tomorrow morning.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »
Going to be making a Lemon Meringue Pie after I go to the store.I will probably post the ingredients later tonight or sometime tomorrow morning.

Mmmm, I love Lemon Meringue (is that really how you spell it?.. I didn't know that)
So I hope you take some pics and post them online along with the ingredients and directions.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
Pictures no but I will post ingredients and directions.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Lamb Shank over Rice.

Made this last night, didn't take any pictures but it's so easy to make.

Lamb

::Take a couple shanks of Lamb (frozen, thawed, or fresh) and put it into a pot of boiling water.
::Toss in an onion chopped in four and two gloves of garlic.
::Add sea salt (don't be shy), quite a bit of cumin (again, don't be shy), some pods of coriander, a cinnamon stick, plenty of whole black pepper, and a bit of cayenne pepper.
::Boil till meat is tender and falling off the bone - you may need to add more water. (about an hour and a half for frozen)
::Strain the pot, and de-bone the meat if you prefer it that way (I personally love the bones - bone marrow is delicious).
::Throw the meat onto a hot skillet with olive oil.
::Sear the meat for about 2 minutes on each side.
::Let it rest on a plate inside the oven or microwave (to keep it warm).

Rice

::Make whatever kind of rice you normal make. (I prefer long grain jasmine)
::Take sliced almonds and toss them onto a hot skillet with NO OIL. (the nuts already have oil in them)
::Keep tossing the almonds every 10 seconds till brown, then pour them all over the rice.
::Take some fresh mint if you got it, chop it up and sprinkle all over the rice as well.

Take the Lamb and place it on top of the rice and serve.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »
drool....

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:04 AM »
When I get home from Vegas I'm going to post about Pizza Buns.  I have Pictures this time.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
I know you guys have been waiting for my Lemon Merague pie but it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. Put it simply is that I didn't have the right cooking tools I needed to make it perfectly and also the crust was a bit to moist since I really didn't do anything else with it. I'll try to make it again soon and better. There really wasn't any problem with taste except for some lemon peels that I couldn't get into zest.
Alexis, she/her/Miss