Author Topic: Games Industry Death Watch 2010-present  (Read 331172 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2009
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »
Most of the developers ignored the Cube, so it's no wonder that many were starting from scratch.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:21 PM »
Things were getting too expensive too quickly and Nintendo decided to do what was sensible and slow the escalation of cost vs benefit down. Most of these developers decided to ignore that gesture and are now they're either closing their doors or putting someone else's logo on it.

It is ridiculous how developers seemed to entirely forget that they have to make money on their games.

Is there no single person at any company who could say "You know with these huge expenses we either need to sell more games than ever before or simply never make a game that doesn't meet expectations."?  Why is Nintendo pretty much the only company that realized this?  Isn't this a basic analysis that companies have to show their publishers or stockholders?  Final Fantasy is the perfect example, it needs to sell significantly more than previous versions to break even with a lower install base.

With all the 360/ps3 games delayed because of MW2 I get the feeling there is going to be a bloodbath this year for developers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:31 PM »
And we''ll be right here to record the events for the history books.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: Games Industry Death Watch 2010
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2010, 04:37:57 AM »
Industry Death Watch 2010 Starts Here:

Our first story of 2010?

Warner lays off staff at three studios
Warner Bros. has cut an unspecified number of staff at three of its studios in the US.

F.E.A.R. 2 team Monolith, The Suffering developer Surreal Software and Snowblind Studios are all affected by the cuts.

"We are committed to growing Warner Bros. in the game space and will be retaining robust teams in our Seattle studios," said the company in a prepared statement.

"We have been moving towards sharing certain resources across the studios and have also been reallocating resources to align talent with our development needs. Unfortunately, we had a few too many resources in certain functions and some positions were eliminated in this process. Our plan is to continually review staffing needs and as future projects evolve we would expect to see the studios grow."

Warner acquired Snowblind just under a year ago adding it to its in-house development team. Surreal Software was picked up as part of the acquisition of bankrupt publisher Midway.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:04:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
lol "growth"

How 'bout some cheaper-to-produce Wii games instead?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
When will you start referring it to Death Watch 2010?  Is there a cutoff point between the posts?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »
I'll change it right now.
meant to do that the day I posted it :)

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »
No layoffs yet, but for a look into the future:

Red Dead Redemption will need to sell 5 million copies to break even

Wow.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »

Wow.
Damn. they better smear some vaseline on that and release it on the Wii.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:32 PM »

Our first story of 2010?

Warner Bros. has cut an unspecified number of staff at three of its studios in the US.

F.E.A.R. 2 team Monolith, The Suffering developer Surreal Software and Snowblind Studios are all affected by the cuts.

"We are committed to growing Warner Bros. in the game space and will be retaining robust teams in our Seattle studios," said the company in a prepared statement.

"We have been moving towards sharing certain resources across the studios and have also been reallocating resources to align talent with our development needs. Unfortunately, we had a few too many resources in certain functions and some positions were eliminated in this process. Our plan is to continually review staffing needs and as future projects evolve we would expect to see the studios grow."

Warner acquired Snowblind just under a year ago adding it to its in-house development team. Surreal Software was picked up as part of the acquisition of bankrupt publisher Midway.

"Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Sesame Workshop Announce Exclusive Worldwide Publishing Agreement for Sesame Street Videogames"
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-and,1118391.shtml

WARNER BROS.
-committed to growth-

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »
An M rated seasame street platformer would be cool.
is your sanity...

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »
Oh, I can just imagine all the new memes we can create this year.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:56 PM »

Our first story of 2010?

"Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Sesame Workshop Announce Exclusive Worldwide Publishing Agreement for Sesame Street Videogames"
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/warner-bros-interactive-entertainment-and,1118391.shtml

WARNER BROS.
-committed to growth-

Hey now, no mocking the muppets (and the Sesame Street gang are muppets)!  I was never big into Sesame Street, but there are certainly worse things for WB to work on than a game from that franchise.  Best of all for some of you, that's practically guaranteed to show up on the Wii.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »

Our first story of 2010?

WARNER BROS.
-committed to growth-

Hey now, no mocking the muppets (and the Sesame Street gang are muppets)!  I was never big into Sesame Street, but there are certainly worse things for WB to work on than a game from that franchise.  Best of all for some of you, that's practically guaranteed to show up on the Wii.

Not if its rated M :P
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2010, 09:27:42 PM »
Warner would probably give it the same matoor Looney Tunes makeover.

Eat that, damage controllers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »

Imagine: Sesame Streetz

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2010, 11:08:33 PM »
photoshop some money signs in there and change the font to read

$esame Streetz

thanks.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
While they're at it, I want to see a Mr. Roger's video game, and what ever happened to that Bob Ross game we were promised way back in 2006???
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »

Wow.

Did GTA4 even cost so much to make?  Holy crap.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:28 AM »
Something's gonna break evenly, all right.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 04:23:08 AM »
It seems they updated the story. Now it will only need to sell 4 million copies to break even.

Phew! I was worried there for a second.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2010, 04:35:07 AM »
What's a million copies among friends?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2010, 06:22:32 AM »
Here's an article or two that should be pointed at everytime we see a non-Wii developer shutting down shop.

Study: Average dev costs as high as $28m
New research suggests development budgets are soaring dangerously fast

The average development budget for a multiplatform next-gen game is $18-$28 million, according to new data.

A study by entertainment analyst group M2 Research also puts development costs for single-platform projects at an average of $10 million.

The figures themselves may not be too surprising, with high-profile games often breaking the $40 million barrier.

Polyphony’s Gran Turismo 5 budget is said to be hovering around the $60 million mark, while Modern Warfare 2's budget was said to be as high as $50 million.

The new figures put into focus concerns often fired out by the development community.

Robert Walsh, the CEO of Australian outfit Krome, recently told Develop that game budgets are rising at a frightening pace.

“I think that’s one thing that the press, to a certain extent, is forgetting,” said Walsh in an interview.

“They’re saying sales have increased over ten percent since last year or whatever; I mean, dev costs have probably doubled or tripled in the console transition.”

Walsh’s Krome studio has recently announced layoffs across all three of its studios, citing poor sales that – presumably – failed to satisfy investments.

sourced article: http://wandameloni.snappages.com/the-brief-2009-ups-and-downs.htm
ROI is King
At a development level the video game industry has been in shakeup mode for some time, which is what ultimately triggered these layoffs. The overall cost of developing games for the current generation of hardware has become increasingly difficult to maintain, leaving most traditional game developers and publishers stretched well beyond their means.

Prior console generations had development costs ranging between $3-5 million per platform. M2 Research estimates more recent development costs for these 7th generation consoles to have soared, with the average costs running $10 million for one platform and $18-$28 million for multiple platforms.

Casual and social games on the other hand can range from $30k - $300k, taking only 6 months to develop. Since these games are online, they also don't incur the heavy costs associated with packaging and marketing materials that are necessary to reach the retail channels.

Mobile and iPhone games have much less production costs associated with them, ranging from $5k - $20K per title. Chris Ulm, CEO of Appy Entertainment, acknowledges, "Mobile game budgets depend on the game and the developers that are putting it together. The budget for a game can go from $5k to $100k. To put it in perspective, ports for full fledged iPhone games (like FaceFighter) can run anywhere from $15K to $22K. The average development time for a game like Zombie Pizza is about 4 months."

But Wii isn't HD so we can't afford to support it......

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
I honestly don't understand all the obsession and hype over HD. I have an HD tv and some channels are in HD, but I just watch whatever I'm interested in and don't really pay too much attention to the picture quality. HD does look better, but I only notice that if I'm paying attention to picture quality, otherwise I don't notice.

So why is everyone so obsessed with it? If we were talking about 3D TV, now that would be something to get excited over...
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2010, 07:54:53 AM »
I honestly don't understand all the obsession and hype over HD. I have an HD tv and some channels are in HD, but I just watch whatever I'm interested in and don't really pay too much attention to the picture quality. HD does look better, but I only notice that if I'm paying attention to picture quality, otherwise I don't notice.

So why is everyone so obsessed with it? If we were talking about 3D TV, now that would be something to get excited over...

Thats the thing, everyone is not excited for it.  The last time I looked at research about it(a long time ago),  it said less than half of 360 owners had an hdtv.  It then went on to say how many of the ones that did either didn't know about the function, didn't know how to hook it up correctly, or simply didn't care to buy the cables.  It is a nice bullet point but is overshadowed by many more cares that people have about games.  It is being pushed forward by Sony and Bluray, tv sellers and the tech heads that run many development studios, especially all the pc developers who moved to consoles recently.Don't turn this into some HD war.  I know the future will be full of the tvs, but it is a minor concern for people now.

Remember when you would play previous consoles and pc guys would talk about how they can't play with such low res graphics?  Remember how you were right and so many console players didn't care as long as they liked the games?  Its the same thing.