Author Topic: Verizon phones  (Read 127923 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Verizon phones
« Reply #700 on: August 25, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »
But my thoughts - Samsung admitted in their own memos and internal documents that they were trying to make their UI more iPhone-like, but still tried to make it different enough to avoid a lawsuit. I do think that TouchWiz on the S and S2 looks very much like iOS, and when the capacitive buttons are not lit-up, the S and S2 (international) look a lot like the iPhone from the front. However, I don't believe for one second that this has caused any harm to Apple, and think the whole case should have been thrown out from the beginning. Samsung didn't present their case well enough, but this should have never even gone to a jury.

Things do tend to look like other things, after all, and it does seem like the jury showed a strong bias towards Apple.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:04:05 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 25, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
That kind of goes with my reaction, that the people who should be really upset by this situation are the other companies that make Android phones. Apple doesn't need the money, what with being the most valuable company in the history of the world, and Samsung can easily afford to pay it even if it stays at a billion. Samsung got to the top of the Android heap by cheating, though, which has to piss off the other companies that didn't resort to that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 25, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
I got the Galaxy S3 the other day.

*snip*

And Bonus #4: Swype is better than whatever built in "swype" comes with the system. But I believe I can replace that... just haven't tried yet.

So I'e finally had it with the Predictive Text "Swype" feature on this phone.
I have discovered that you can not swype the word "got".
If you attempt it, you will the word "for" and "got" is not even one of the suggested replacement words. I would film this for you, but I'm too lazy for that right now. just know that it is very irritating to have the system replace the word I'm typing with a completely different word that uses letters that I've haven't even swyped across... and certainly not in that order.

Poor imitation of the original. So now I downloaded Swype..... phone won't let me unselect the Samsung Keyboard and I have to use "predictive text" if I want "swype"-like ability.

Almost thought I had to root to get Swype to work.... but a phone reset did the trick.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:24:03 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
Really it's bad for all phone developers, not just Android developers. Windows phone is different enough at a UI-level (and not nearly important enough for anyone to cry about any Windows phone manufacturers), but Apple has basically been grant a patent for rectangles with rounded corners. I still wouldn't call what Samsung did "cheating" - lazy, unquestionably. They didn't make a KIRF iPhone copy though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:45:25 PM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
I finally decided to root my Galaxy S3.

I was about to start the Odin method, when I ran across this method instead:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/25/new-root-method-released-for-verizons-galaxy-s3-no-odin-required/

It was sooooper easy, as soon as I realized that my windows firewall was blocking the root. :embarrassed:

after that, it was basically hit enter a few times, a few auto-reboots and 7-8 minutes later, I was rooted.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 29, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
Did you flash the developer version bootloader? I don't have an S3...but I would if I did.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 29, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
I don't really know what the boot loader is for or why I would want the developers version, but I have a 1-click unlock for it.