Poll

New Mutants has been DELAYED yet again. When will it come out? Will it ever come out?

It'll get delayed till Summer time
They'll drop it in the October slot for Halloween
Streaming Rental on Disney+ for double the ticket price
It's cursed.... it's never coming out.
Make it a double feature with Black Widow in the Drive Thru's
Right after they do the reshoots... they have time now. lol

Author Topic: (NEW Poll Added!!) New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!  (Read 1210464 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: New Movies/TV Shows we should keep an eye out for!
« Reply #1075 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:34 PM »
Damn sweet. I am only in season 2, but holy hell Basic Rocket Science almost set a new high bar compared to Modern Warfare in season 1.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »
I still need to check it out, but I'm backlogged as it is with "The Life and Times of Tim", "Archer" and "Parks n Rec".
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 24, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
If that show gets canceled I personally vow to ban anyone who says anything good about The Big Bang Theory on these forums.

GOD BLESS YOU SIR!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1078 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
LOL, why do you hate the best comedy on TV?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »

I don't know how you could ask that question; it's pretty clear from our posts that we love Commmunity.

e
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: February 24, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »
That poster makes me cry so much. And when I mean cry, I mean laugh. Perfect.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1081 on: February 24, 2012, 08:01:55 PM »
For those who like Community (I honestly don't know why), I am happy for you. If it was on any of the other broadcast networks, it would have been canceled by now because of its low ratings (it finished 115th in the 2010-2011 season), but NBC can't afford to cancel shows just because of low ratings. It's the main reason Chuck lasted as long as it did.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 24, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »
Community would have been canceled long ago with the ratings it has even on NBC if it weren't as critically acclaimed as it is. It also does really well, as in being in the top ten, for some important demographics. It has a cult following, and NBC knows exactly what they're going to get in terms of ratings/Hulu/iTunes/DVD sales. It seems almost likely at this point that NBC will give it a fourth season, taking it to its logical conclusion.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1083 on: February 24, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
The show is helped by the fact that NBC partially owns it (through Universal Television), otherwise stuff lie DVD sales wouldn't matter to them. Say Warner Bros. owned the show, only Warner would profit from DVD sales and stuff.

I hate when they go by demographics, I know why they do but I hate it. A show can do well in the ratings but still get canceled if not enough people in the target demographic watch it (I won't get into the flawed nature of ratings anyways, with only 25,000 households being used to determine what 131 million households are watching).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:58 PM »
Community is very experimental, almost nothing is off limits if it's funny. It doesn't always work, but most importantly, it isn't afraid to fail, learning along the way. Big Bang was initially new through targeting the Nerd demographics laced with enough general popculture for the mainstream, but it quickly fell into it's own formula eating it's way into boredom.

Community's only formula is it must be funny.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
The Big Bang Theory is nerd blackface. All the episodes I've seen devolved into "look at how weird these guys are" without any kind of wit or cleverness to the writing. It also uses a laugh track, which is pretty unforgivable on modern TV. I watched through all of NewsRadio again recently, which is brilliantly written but the laugh track drags it down a bit. It was barely okay when that show was on the air, it's just a terrible creative decision now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
Oh snap, I guess bad mouthing Big Bang got me a smite.

"Big Bang Theory is nerd blackface"

That is easily the best 6 words to describe Big Bang.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1087 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »
It's a false statement, but sure. It basically boils down to this:
*Community is somewhat liked by critics and watched by very few people (it averaged 4.2 million last year)
*Big Bang Theory is loves by critics and is one of the most watched shows on TV (averaging 16 million viewers)

I am not saying Community is a bad show, but there is a reason BBT is loved. It's funny, well written, and does tons of fan service.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 24, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
I don't know...just because something is more loved doesn't make it better. Hell, that would make McDonald's the best restaurant ever.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1089 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
But food critics don't love McDonalds, TV critics do love BBT. Generally if both critics and viewers love something, there is a reason. Maybe the show isn't for everyone, but that is true of any show. The Amazing Race is one of the most watched TV shows, and I don't understand why.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
The Big Bang Theory is nerd blackface.

QFT.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1091 on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Except neither of you explain why you think that. It's authentic, they actually consult with experts to make sure it's real, and they are never condescending.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1092 on: February 24, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
Community has Alison Brie. That's something.

But BBT has Melissa Rauch. So it all evens out. I think both shows are funny, but for different reasons.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #1093 on: February 24, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »
Except neither of you explain why you think that.

I do believe JP did explain it.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1094 on: February 24, 2012, 10:24:14 PM »
He explained why he doesn't like the show (none of which I agree with), not why he thinks its nerd blackface.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: February 24, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »

The part about the show being all about "look how weird these crazy nerds are" is the part that makes it nerd blackface. I'm not against poking fun at groups of people, but there needs to be creativity and substance to it, which I've never seen BBT do. I'll fully admit I haven't seen anywhere near all the episodes of the show, so maybe I missed something there, but based on what I've seen there's pretty much nothing redeeming about it.

If you think Big Bang Theory is liked by critics at anywhere near the same level as Community you're just not paying attention. I'm not saying critical acclaim automatically makes a show good, but Community clearly has way more of it than Big Bang Theory.

CBS is the Activision of the television world. Every company is out for money, but different companies have different standards for how much artistic quality they're willing to sacrifice in order to get that money. CBS, like Activision, doesn't give a **** about quality, and will ride any successful brand into the ground (Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, CSI, NCIS). Call of Duty sets new sales records every year, and CBS is perennially the best-rated network on TV, so some people are obviously okay with that, but I don't like it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 24, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Who are these "experts" that they consult? BBT is horse ****, btw. Watch it without the laughtrack added in, it's just awkward.

I think Community sucks too, but I gave up on it after like 3 or 4 episodes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
That's true of most any laugh track show. Laugh tracks are an awful thing to use on television. And give Community another shot, Brandogg. If you can watch Modern Warfare and still not like it, then there's no hope for you.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »
The IT Crowd trounces The Big Bang Theory.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1099 on: February 24, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
You may not like the show, but it is a very good show (if it's ****, then EVERY show is ****). One of the funniest shows on TV, easily better than most.

Their main technical expert is Dr. David Saltzberg, a astroparticle physicist at UCLA. He also worked for CERN from 1995-1997. He checks every script for technical errors, even makes sure the equations on whiteboards are correct. One of the stars of the show now (she joined last season) is Mayim Bialik, who actually has a PhD in neuroscience.

I think the show gets hate for the same reason ones like Frasier did, it's a smart show that doesn't aim all of their jokes at the lowest class.