Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 416910 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »
Well, seeing that Team Ninja hasn't just been handed free reign to do whatever they want with the game and that Sakimoto is heavily involved does ease my worries quite a bit on this title.  I'm still not entirely convinced that this interpretation of Metroid is going to work, but at least the right people are guiding it.  I'm still expecting this team to stick something sissy on Samus's body armor if you pick the easiest difficulty level, though, just because this is Team Ninja, after all.  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
I will say that I am very pleased this Metroid isn't going to be a 1st person Halo clone the way the last three were. I am not a big fan of 1st person games, and it didn't feel like Metroid to me. I'm happy to see this one is going to be more like the originals....
is your sanity...

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2009, 10:42:43 PM »
lol halo clone, thats soo false ya troll ;)
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2009, 12:28:05 AM »
I will say that I am very pleased this Metroid isn't going to be a 1st person Halo clone the way the last three were. I am not a big fan of 1st person games, and it didn't feel like Metroid to me. I'm happy to see this one is going to be more like the originals....

As someone who played his first 2D Metroid a week before he played his first 3D Metroid I can safely say without being tainted by nostalgia that it's the same thing from different perspectives.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
Hm, a list I've seen said that Sakamoto was in charge of Fusion but not Zero Mission, is that accurate?

Anyway, he said himself it's going to be like Fusion so I won't anticipate it as a new Metroid game, maybe as a new action game but not Metroid. What the players want from a sequel to a game is another game that invokes the same feelings in them that the first one did. Fusion didn't invoke that feeling of exploration and doing this on your own (because you were always told what's up next, not going to a place to see what's there), neither did Prime 3. I doubt this one will invoke the Metroid feel even though it may be a good game on its other merits.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
I always figured the bite sized exploration nuggets in fusion, and the ever present bossy computer were there because it's a handheld game.  YOu get your small bit of exploring a location, and you take a break because your bus has stopped.  When you pick it back up on your lunch break, it's easy to remember what to do because somebody tells you.  It also made sense in terms of the story, in that it was a space station designed with different ecosystems to test stuff.

I liked fusion, it has some of the best "desperation I'm completely alone" feelings in the whole series.  Samus is weaker than she's ever been, and being chased by a soul-less copy of herself from when she was the strongest.  Every time the SA-X Samus popped up it was scary stuff.  And the only thing that talked to you was a soul less computer AI, which I guess is something, but makes Samus lonelier because its based on her old commander's habits.

I wouldn't think that this Metroid is going to have the same exploration "problems" that fusion had, simply because it's not on a handheld.  The team probably feels that it's okay to have longer exploratory sections because they assume that you'll be sitting longer.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2009, 09:38:24 AM »
Zero Mission wasn't linearized like that despite being a handheld game and it worked fine.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2009, 12:03:16 PM »
Yeah...but zero mission was also a remake, to turn it into chunks would be insulting to the original game.  And yes it worked fine, but they added the chozo statues that would tell you very clearly where to go.  Also Sakamoto did work on Zero Mission.  According to Wikipedia he directed it.  Maybe him and the team realized that such a direct boss, such as Adam in fusion, was a little too much. 

I'm not advocating the bit sized exploration nuggets, just saying why I thought they were there.  I hope Other M has more freedom, but being more story based I doubt it.  Either way Metroid is the only Nintendo story I care about, because it has a lot of mythos and samus is cute.., so I don't mind a story,as long as it's well done.  I thought fusion's was interesting, so I have faith in the team.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
I would just like to post for the first time in months to say that this game, as it appears now, looks like a generic piece of crap.  It does not seem imbued with any of the mysticism, solitude, exploration, or raw wonder of Metroid games, and looks like your standard non-stop action schlock.  And to add insult to injury, the visuals are ugly as sin, too.

That said, it is Metroid and Nintendo is at least looking at its development, so I'll follow it with caution.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »
A frame by frame analysis by GameTrailers.com

& yep. this game looks like crap.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 05:01:52 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Who is D-Rockets?
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »
did you all see this?

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/991/991793p1.html
Quote from: IGN interview
IGN: Metroid: Other M was a huge surprise for us at E3 2009 and we're really excited for it. We're wondering how the partnership with Team Ninja came about.

Yoshio Sakamoto: I've been working on Metroid games for quite awhile, but in 2006, having seen the Wii, its capabilities and the features available through it, I wanted to challenge myself to see what I could produce for that particular system and it was at that point that I started mulling other concepts. My team and myself have had experience working on Metroid game, but it's all been in the handheld realm and it's all been in 2D, so we lacked both the experience and the manpower to create a 3D Metroid experience. It was at that time that I realized I needed to find a partner help me realize my concept.

When I was considering what I was going to look for in this partner, I not only wanted to find somebody who was going to understand my concept as it existed, but could also contribute based on their own experience and expertise and I was very fortunate when I proposed this idea to members of Team Ninja and they seemed to really be able to understand and grasp my idea and they were happy to jump on board as well.

During those initial meetings, I did not approach Team Ninja knowing that they were Team Ninja and had that experience behind them. Granted, I appreciated the fact that they did have game development experience, but not specifically with regard to action games. What I was looking for was a partner that could contribute their strengths and possibly balance out our weaknesses, assuming we could do the same for them. We have the experience of creating Metroid games. They have the experience of creating action games. Together, instead of being Nintendo and Team Ninja, we became Project M. And our goal is to create the best Metroid: Other M that we can.

IGN: How is Project M separated between the teams? How big is the overall team?

Yoshio Sakamoto: In addition to the members of the staff from Nintendo and Team Ninja, as you saw in the trailer, there are a lot of cinematics that help us tell the story within Other M so we're also working with a company called D-Rockets, led by a director named Mr. Kitaura. In total, with the the three companies combined that make Project M, we have over 100 people on our staff.

Who is D-Rockets?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
They're probably a company that makes the CG cutscenes.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
I have a feeling it's these guys http://www.d-rockets.co.jp/index.html because if you look here and here they worked on the cinematics for DoA.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 10:09:13 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »
I would just like to post for the first time in months to say that this game, as it appears now, looks like a generic piece of crap.  It does not seem imbued with any of the mysticism, solitude, exploration, or raw wonder of Metroid games, and looks like your standard non-stop action schlock.

Hmm... yeah, the trailer certainly didn't convey the usual Metroid vibe that you expect, but there was a lot of exciting things it suggested for gameplay, like a possible 2.5D play with enemies swarming around Samus.

Besides, maybe trailers just aren't cut out to showcase the usual Metroid exploration stuff? As long as the dev team plays some Super Metroid, I'd like to think that they could do well on that front.

Of course, then again, if Team Ninja has complete license to take this thing completely in an action game direction.... *shivers*
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2009, 01:50:46 AM »
Kairon, have you even been paying any attention to the interviews that have been posted?  Sakamoto helped make Super Metroid.  In terms of linearity and story progression, he's compared the game to Fusion.  He's insisted that the game will have exploration, that he wants to maintain the Metroid "feel," and that he wants to create the ultimate Metroid experience.  And Team Ninja is only there for their 3D experience, and according to Sakamoto they understand his vision.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying you have better evidence to go by than speculation. :b
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:07 AM »
I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying you have better evidence to go by than speculation. :b

Oh sweet! Yay! Readily available evidence backs up my baseless speculation!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2009, 03:10:49 AM »
He's insisted that the game will have exploration

Pockets of exploration, i.e. the worst kind. The kind where you actively have to avoid reaching your goal to explore everything to avoid missing powerups and ending up underpowered later on.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2009, 05:04:27 AM »
He's insisted that the game will have exploration

Pockets of exploration, i.e. the worst kind. The kind where you actively have to avoid reaching your goal to explore everything to avoid missing powerups and ending up underpowered later on.

That's an asumption.

I really enjoyed fusion although it was in the border of linearity, at the end you could still explore the whole world without limitation and there was no thing as a one time power up that goes away if you don't catch it in the right time. If its anything like that I will like it, although I would prefer more exploration.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
I watched this trailer, and I felt like at several points, I was looking at a revival of Super Metroid gameplay.  To me, this was the game announcement of E3.

The Prime games did bring the Metroid atmosphere to 3D, but I feel like they didn't completely capture the gameplay aspects.  To see this title, as someone who was a tepid fan of the Prime series, makes me very excited.  Even if this game turns out badly, I'm shocked to see Nintendo is willing to work out and experiment with Metroid, and possibly other games, in order to recreate new experiences to capture the feel of a 2D game in a 3D environment.

I'm not iffy about the cutscenes, I don't see anyone complaining about the sub-linearity of Prime 3 or cutscenes from them here, so I think we should dismiss these things until after we know more.  I, however, look forward to speed booster running, one of my favorite Metroid things.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
I withhold judgment on this game until I see the requisite Justin Bailey. That is the true measure of any real Metroid game.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
I withhold judgment on this game until I see the requisite Justin Bailey. That is the true measure of any real Metroid game.

Yet at least one long time forum member here swears that it has been only recently that Nintendo has been selling up Samus' sex appeal (since the don of the Zero Suit i believe). HA!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
Yet at least one long time forum member here swears that it has been only recently that Nintendo has been selling up Samus' sex appeal (since the don of the Zero Suit i believe). HA!

Could it be possible that this is just the march of 3-D Technology making depictions of any women in games more sexual by default because polygonal bewbs are more "sexual" then 5-pixel bewbs, and not any real intent on the creator's part?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »

Could it be possible that this is just the march of 3-D Technology making depictions of any women in games more sexual by default because polygonal bewbs are more "sexual" then 5-pixel bewbs, and not any real intent on the creator's part?

Hm i didnt mean to try and start this debate back up cuz:

a. its annoying
b. i don't really care either way

but for arguments sake; despite the how powerful the technology you're using is, the art direction taken with that tech, and in turn the creators vision, is what creats the 'sex appeal' behind female characters in video games. Look at Lauro Croft on the original PSX vs Joanna Dark on the N64. I'm sure you can see where those two femme fatales differ greatly and its not the hair and wardrobe.

But thats all i'll say cuz this is a stupid argument.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
I like Rebecca Chambers, Lilith, and Samantha.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »
Possibly. But this greater technology also enables them to finally show Samus with some actual muscle tone, which she should have if we are expected to believe she is as strong as they say.