Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1546433 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5350 on: September 02, 2016, 03:18:38 AM »
I finally saw Suicide Squad. I feel like I really need to see the director's cut. The editing in the movies is super fast, but some of the characters were well done.

Slipknot was robbed though. :(

Waller was a straight up villian.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: September 02, 2016, 12:55:32 PM »
I really feel like Waller knew exactly what she was doing when she put Slipknot on the team, though.  I mean, what other purpose would he serve?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: October 16, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
Star Trek Beyond

Finally, a good Nu Trek movie. The first 2 are still trash and forever will be. This movie is the closest to actual Trek of the 3. The characters resemble who they actually are instead of the hyper cartoon rubbish.

The weakest part was the villain, yet another revenge story. Lots of barely audible grunting. They blow up the Enterprise again. Another superweapon.

Simon Pegg did the impossible, it gave Star Trek a pulse after the last 2 murdered it and threw it into a grave.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: October 17, 2016, 01:07:13 AM »
The Accountant I liked it! Ben Affleck gives an understated performance and reminds me of some people I have known. A nice little action thriller that is a bit too fantastical at times with some weird twists. Go see it!

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: October 27, 2016, 09:04:33 AM »
Dr Strange.

All I can say is WOW!! WHAT A RIDE!! Absolutely mind blowing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: October 27, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »
I think someone needs to rename to spoiler thread!!

But without saying anything about the movie, how was the 3D!?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: October 27, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »
how was the 3D!?

It was good.  However, I'm not convinced that it dramaticaly improved the experience.  Obviously I haven't seen a 2D version so I can't contrast it. 

I suppose what I'm saying is the 2D version wouldn't be missing anything and would still provide a magnificent experience.  This movie is all about the experience.  It's unlike anything I've ever seen.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: October 27, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »
Jack Reacher. I weirdly kinda liked this for how extremely simple it was.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: October 27, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
The IMAX's near me don't have it till a week from now.

EDIT: I see, it doesn't release until the 4th in the US.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: October 27, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
EDIT: I see, it doesn't release until the 4th in the US.

The one benefit of being in Australia.  You get Marvel stuff released earlier and we're ahead of most of the planet so we get stuff earlier that way too.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: November 05, 2016, 10:22:43 AM »
I saw Doctor Strange in IMAX 3D last night. It was good, it was intense, visuals were crazy and the fight scenes were dope.

The 3D in all the "acid trip" effects scenes were very well done.
Kaecilius could have used a little more fleshing out.
The Ancient one was a bad-ass
Doctor Strange himself is going to be a very interesting addition to Infinity War, considering his methods used in this movie to fight Kaecilius and resolve the conflict of the movie...

My summary rating: not my favorite Marvel movie, but definitely in the upper ranks.
I'd probably place it on the shelf next to Ant-Man
and I'm sure the sequel for both will be even better, like Cap 1 to it's sequels.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5361 on: November 05, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
Doctor Strange.  Visually the best movie of the Marvel Universe. 

The movie played it straight, but I would have loved more time with Stephen before he went on his quest.  All we saw was him being an arrogant jerk, but there should have been a little more to him to show he had potential for greatness. 

Some of the jokes didn't work, but I would rather have flat jokes designed to keep the movie entertaining and light fail, than to have a movie be too serious, so this wasn't a problem. 

Marvel handled Magic in a very balanced way.  Doctor Strange can easily play in the confounds of the Marvel Cinematic Universe without being too powerful.  It is almost like Magic is just another technology...in a way.

Let's really look at the magical combat:  Energy Shields, Energy Wipe, Energy Swords, Teleportation via a device.  This can all play nicely in the Marvel Universe.  They wisely put most of the incredibly crazy stuff in the Mirror dimension which allowed them to get away with more crazy visuals but not go too abstract. 

I would put it in the ranks of the higher Marvel movies honestly.  I like the play it safe origin stories Marvel does...because they still try to find something to make it unique. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: November 06, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »
Doctor Strange - 8.5/10
There really isn't any other Marvel movie to compare this to. The visual effects are amazing, the acting is all very good, the humor is on-point, and the story is deep enough while not going too far. Really the closest superhero movie I could compare this to is Batman Begins. This really introduces a whole new dimension (no pun intended) to the MCU. Make sure you stay for both post-credits scenes.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: November 06, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
Considering how this movie portrays the manipulation of time, they sure did a poor job in showing exactly how much of it has passed during this movie....

the boss "battle" could have used some sort of nod of how long they were stuck in that stand-off, even if it just fast-forwarded though dozens and dozens of deaths before Strange shows back up with the conflict resolved.
Actually that probably would have been funnier.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5364 on: November 06, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
They probably decided not to keep it too dark with too many deaths.  The point of the scene was to show he was a changed man...and willing to sacrifice himself to avoid murder and others dying.

I think it worked fine.  We don't need to worry about how much time it took.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: November 07, 2016, 03:55:52 AM »

we know when the story starts, but not where it ends.

The story starts around the time of civil war. They mention a man in experimental armor getting injured, that is Falcon

When it ends? Not sure. Dr. Strange is a fast learner. I don't know if it takes him years to learn this stuff or weeks. I think he has a convo with Rachel Macadams that reveals how much time has passed, but not sure.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: November 07, 2016, 09:11:33 AM »

we know when the story starts, but not where it ends.

The story starts around the time of civil war. They mention a man in experimental armor getting injured, that is Falcon

When it ends? Not sure. Dr. Strange is a fast learner. I don't know if it takes him years to learn this stuff or weeks. I think he has a convo with Rachel Macadams that reveals how much time has passed, but not sure.

nope. I responded in the spoiler thread. see below :)
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=49895.msg907323#msg907323

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: November 08, 2016, 12:50:08 AM »
I WANTED to see Strange in IMAX, but my wife has become an even bigger cheapskate than usual lately. I tried to convince her but ended up conceeding that I would have to go to IMAX with a friend later.

First thing she says when the movie is done: "Wow! I see why you wanted to go see it in IMAX! You didn't tell me it would be like that!"...except I did, lots of times in different ways.  :confused;

Thought it was both fun and fresh.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: November 08, 2016, 02:41:03 AM »
First thing she says when the movie is done: "Wow! I see why you wanted to go see it in IMAX! You didn't tell me it would be like that!"...except I did, lots of times in different ways.  :confused;

Women. Am I right?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: November 09, 2016, 12:54:50 AM »
You said bitch though, right?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: November 11, 2016, 12:53:38 AM »
I said the most politically correct thing you could say as a husband to your wife in a movie theater and get away with it.

She doesn't want to go again, so now I need to find a real friend to go with me to an IMAX. Speaking of, I'd better start making friends for Rogue One, because she sure ain't going to see that with me in December! She won't even go to see Passenger because it is too corny looking... I need a movie pal.

Shyguy! Don't we both live in the Greater Seattle/Puget Sound? Want a movie buddy?...No? Anybody?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: November 14, 2016, 01:35:31 AM »
So I saw 2 movie this weekend.

1 was with low expectation, but basically going in blind.
the other was with high expectations, and also going in mostly blind.

The 1st movie was Trolls.
this was the one with low expectations. Surprisingly, entertaining. Pretty good use of commercial licensed music throughout the movie. And while I didn't find it "funny" I did find it humorous. I laughed out loud a few times at "funny" parts, but only because I was trying to get my daughter to be vocal about her enjoyment. She said she didn't find it funny, but really enjoyed it, as she was dancing at the very end.
verdict: recommended for people w/ kids... to obviously watch with their kids. (matinee)

the other movie was Arrival
I'll keep it brief as I don't want to start the spoiler block of text on this one, but despite all the talk of "great movie", "best movie I've seen this year", "award season release" this was quite dull. It was interesting for a bit, but the resolution just.... well... WTF!?
I'm not sure what I expected, but I really didn't get it. The end makes no sense to me upon any thought put into it, and I was honestly surprised that I didn't fall asleep near the beginning (mostly because the seats are very comfy and recline, I was very full, it was dark, it was quite warm, and it was kinda dull for the first half.)
verdict:... check the trailers. maybe read a review or two, and then if you are still interested, pick a matinee priced viewing.

Overall, I would gladly watch Trolls again, but I don't think Arrivals would even make my Netflix list.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5372 on: November 14, 2016, 02:03:35 AM »
What was wrong with The Arrival?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile