Author Topic: I have computer related questions. Can you help?  (Read 148580 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
I have computer related questions. Can you help?
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:03:19 PM »
I have a 2 computer questions.

1st question:
I just bought a new memory card for my computer Nvidia 9500 dual screen or something like that.
The reason I bought it is because I wanted the dual screen set up between my WS monitor and my HDTV.
The problem is that when I move videos over to the HDTV from monitor and fullscreen them I want to continue to surf the net on the computer monitor at the same time. Right now, if I have fullscreen on the HDTV and click on anything on the monitor, it exits fullscreen mode on the HDTV.
Do I need to do dual desktop mode to make that work?
I ask because it took me a while just to get the setup where the dominant screen(monitor w/ icons and task bar) was on the right and the HDTV was on the left, so when I move my mouse off the left side of the screen it would show up on the HDTV. I really don't want to mess with it again if I can help it.

2nd question:
This is kinda related to the 1st question, but not really. I want to upgrade my processor in my computer to a Core2Duo (mainly so that multi tasking on two screens don't affect each other). If I upgrade my CPU, do I have to re-install everything?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: I have computer related questions. Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:53:48 PM »
If I upgrade my CPU, do I have to re-install everything?

No.

Also make sure to know what kind of socket your motherboard has, so you don't end buying a processor that plugs in another kind of socket.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
What you want to do should be possible.  I just tried it out with my two monitors here at work.  I don't see why one of the monitors being an HDTV should mess anything up.  What app are you using to play the video?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »
I have this exact same issue. What I can figure out is that the video card knows the TV is a TV and not a true monitor. Yes, I have an HDTV LCD tv, and I am using an HDMI connection from the card to the tv. It might be bacause I am using HDMI instead of DVI, I don't know.

I just ended up saying screw you and connected my 360 to the PC as a media extender and now everything is great :)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:28:42 PM »
Thanx Caliban

UPB: All sorts of apps. - Netflix, youtube, other sites that play videos/movies/shows
The problem is I have it set up as one really wide desktop spread over 2 monitors and putting fullscreen would mean that the whole screen is covered.
what I'm thinking is: If I'm clicking on something on the other screen that would void the rule of fullscreen and it the video reverts back to normal.
I'm also thinking that a more capable processor might also solve the problem, and I planned on upgrading anyway, just need an excuse to do it sooner rather than later.

I guess I will try out the dual desktop thing and see how that works out.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
UPB: All sorts of apps. - Netflix, youtube, other sites that play videos/movies/shows
The problem is I have it set up as one really wide desktop spread over 2 monitors and putting fullscreen would mean that the whole screen is covered.

The same thing happens in my situation with youtube.  This is probably a web browser thing.  Try a dedicated video playing app like Windows Media Player to see if that works.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
I'll give that a shot, but I have a new question.
edit: Internet explorer stays at fullscreen, so maybe it is a browser thing

I have a socket 775 motherboard that on the box says it is core2duo ready.
can I get a socket 775 core2quad instead since its almost the same price and not have an issue?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=1969

I'm looking in the $150-$180

& do you think there is a big difference between a Core2Duo @ 2.93/3.0Ghz($30 difference) and a Core2Quad @ 2.33/2.5Ghz($20 difference)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:21:30 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
Warning, reinstalling the stock heat sink on a c2d is annoying.  Also You main not see to much performance increase for you basic stuff like web browsing.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 05:21:06 PM »
I'm not looking for a web browsing boost.
I want to run videos/games full screen on one the HDTV while leaving an open browser up on the monitor.
I don't want one to affect the other.

I also want to do a little bit of future proofing, cause I might get into some sort of video/music editing, and I might start gaming more on this computer.
So I should probably go with the C2Quad?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »
Personally, CPUs are really really powerful these days.  Other portions of hardware (esspecially HDs) is what really holds you back. If you are in a money crunch the C2D will do fine. But if not go with the C2Q.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
so on a socket 77f board, I shouldn't have a problem with a socket 775 compatible C2Q?

thats good to know. I think I'll wait another week and see if tiger Direct has another sale though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 05:56:54 PM »
so on a socket 77f board, I shouldn't have a problem with a socket 775 compatible C2Q?

thats good to know. I think I'll wait another week and see if tiger Direct has another sale though.

You've got to look up the specs for your board to see if the Quad is even truly compatible.  Better to not assume things based just on the product series numbers.

I've had problems with boards in the past where I couldn't jump to the next step simply because it was made during a fringe period before newer standards were finalized and on the market.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:58:43 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »
the board is ready for C2D, you think C2Q might be a problem?

I really don't want to start from scratch with a new motherboard. Not right now atleast. all that I went through to get this computer working the first time, hardware and software installation was a nightmare.

I'll look it up later, I gotta finish my Chuck marathon. I'm on the last episode of s1

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
I just checked my motherboard CPU support list
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Model.aspx?detailid=704&MenuID=69&LanID=9

It looks like it supported every Core2 that they tried, but the list looks incomplete
compatible w/ Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q6700 = $209

thats more expensive that some of the newer models that come packaged with fans.
Whats the difference between Kentsfield (listed C2Q) and Yorkfield?

I was hoping to get something in the $150-180 range when its on sale for about $120-150.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:35 AM »
How old is your motherboard? Just because it can fit a C2D or C2Q doesn't mean it will take advantage of what those CPUs can offer. Also, if you bought the 9500 at a store, I'd take it back and save up a little more and get an 8800 or 9800 instead, look online. An 8800 is typically a much better card than a 9500 - it's the 2nd number that counts. Yorkfield is a newer revision of the CPU with a larger cache.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »
How old is your motherboard? Just because it can fit a C2D or C2Q doesn't mean it will take advantage of what those CPUs can offer.
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=704&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=44&LanID=9
That's my motherboard
Also, if you bought the 9500 at a store, I'd take it back and save up a little more and get an 8800 or 9800 instead, look online. An 8800 is typically a much better card than a 9500 - it's the 2nd number that counts. Yorkfield is a newer revision of the CPU with a larger cache.
Well  I bought it online (TigerDirect) & it does what I want, besides, this is just the 1st computer that I built. I think I'm gonna give it to this girl in trade for a new QuadCore starter Kit on TigerDirect @ some point in the near future. So I'm gonna take everything that I've learned upto this point (including this thread) & build something better.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 11:14:17 PM »
Tiger Direct typically sells old outdated stuff at (seemingly) big discounts. They used to be better than they are now.  I'm not trying to talk you out of upgrading your current PC - upping the CPU is basically the cheapest option, so by all means go for it. Get your CPU from Newegg.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:17:20 PM by Brandogg »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
I have a new (actually old) problem.
My computer has an issue with random freezing. Its not very common but very consistent. In other words it doesn't happen often but I can predict situations when it will happen. (downloading & opening certain threads)

Do you think upgrading the CPU to a Core2 would solve this issue?

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »
Can you describe it better?  What happens if you use a different browser?  A hardware change should really do that for you, it *sounds* software related.

Frozen Shoe Games

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
If your CPU is the cause of your problems, then it's most likely because it's getting too hot, and a more powerful CPU will generally be hotter.  However, it's more likely to be a software problem, especially if it's predictable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »
Happens alot when downloading torrents. Especially if the downloading gets to fast, I have to throttle it.
Also happens when opening certain threads(usually with lots of pics in them), but not all the time.

I figured it was software related, but the question is what software? could Azureus (aka Vuze) be part of the problem?
Threads freeze in both FF & IE. Certain threads will freeze every time while other threads will freeze randomly if... say I have... Outlook open or something.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
Holy god do not use Vuze...Azureus used to be good but it's a completel pile of **** now.  I don't know the best program out there, but in windows I tend to prefer uTorrent and in OSX I use Transmission.  Transmission isn't the greatest or most feature-filled app out there, but I always get MUCH faster speeds with it for some reason, even with closed ports.

As for your freezing problem...how are you connected to the interwebs?  Are you by any chance using a USB WiFi dongle?  I know it's a stretch, but I have had the exact same problem as you (regarding torrents, especially) with two different USB dongles...I'm never using one of those things again.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
uTorrent is great.

SeaMonkey is great.

IE7 crashes my 8-core CPU 16GB RAM Workstation at work.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 05:39:39 PM »
My Azureus is now called Vuze but the look and the options never changed. It's a very different program than what my friend uses that is callled Vuze, even when his is in advanced mode.

I guess I'll make the switch to uTorrent like I almost did oh so long ago. I heard it was like Azureus lite anyway.

As for my connection, I'm on a wireless connection from the router upstairs to the wireless card I installed in my computer. D-Link DWL-G510

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 03:08:13 PM »
Definitely use uTorrent. If it's bandwidth killing your system, you might just need new drivers for your DWL-G510.