Author Topic: I'm sure you're aware  (Read 21908 times)

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
I'm sure you're aware
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
But we're dying
Death

What are you're theories?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: I'm sure you're aware
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
<-------

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »
I agree with the above post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:18:54 PM »
GoNintendo and NeoGaf are to blame, obviously.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:03:38 AM »
I suspected as much. GoNintendo is disgusting.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:31 AM »
I think ShyGuy's right.  Gonintendo posts just about everything NWR reports on, and rarely sources them.  Is there something that could be done to prevent this/stop that whore of a Nintendo site?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:44:46 AM »
Instead of fighitng over the hardcore internet user with the other sharks, NWR needs a blue ocean strategy.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:34:47 AM »
Well I thought if PGC got back to what it was good at; Lobbying voters in the Gamefaqs character poll, we could win back some serious cred with the moron crowd.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:57:26 AM »
Hmm... blue ocean strategy...blue ocean strategy.....hmmm

God, this is harder than Nintendo makes it look!

Yeah, but it's easy to pinpoint the difficulties. There's a lot more competition now, it seems to me. GoNintendo has become the seminal Nintendo news site, whether you like it or not, NeoGAF has risen in prominence (I think...), and even VGChartz has become a watering hole for Nintendo denizens (I just saw couchmonkey post there! BETRAYAL!!! ... and Darc Requiem).

With the rise of specialized sites, a jack-of-all trades fan site seems to have a harder time differentiating itself.

... here's a preliminary idea. You're called NintendoWorldReport. You wanted to sound like some newsy thingy that we'd hear on the radio or see on tv.

Live up to that.

Re-center the website's offerings on podcast segments. Have more podcasts in the week, but shorter, with less people, and at one topic each. Instead of having one giant 60 minute podcast a week with 4 people, instead you should have 3-5 podcasts a week, each of length 1-3 minutes, each of 1-2 people involved, each talking about ONLY one or two news topics. Feature these podcasts prominently on the front page as if they were a series of news announcements, and dedicate a feature slider just to them to show off the frequency of updates and the one-click accessibility to some podcasted Nintendo goodness.

Even have a NintendoWorldReport News Theme that's more Broadcast News and less awesome music riffs (though I will miss those.../sniff).

Ah, but doesn't a 1-3 minute podcats with only 1 or 2 people destroy discourse? Fix that by making some or many podcasts rebuttal podcasts, continuing the same topic but offering a different opinion. This actually dramatically increases the visible "new content" buzz that visitors will get.

This is all in an effort to:

1. Differentiate the site and offer something new that no one else will have and that no one else is doing. This will also hopefully garner attention as people on the intarweb link to your 1-3 minute snippets of reporting information.

2. Keep production low. Yes, you're doing more podcasts, but if each podcast is 2 minutes long, that can't possibly take a long time. If each podcast is only one or two people, you don't need to coordinate with others and can do it on your own schedule. If each podcast is short enough to cover one topic, there's no need to write reams of extra content to validate yourself.

3. Jazz up the site front and increase the content flow for viewers to keep clicking back day after day. You don't need epic features to do this. You just need new, delectable morsels of content for them to consume. And at 1-3 minutes a pop to listen to each individual audiocast, there's nothing to fear! (Like those new oreos, only 100 calories a bag!)

Eventually you can even offer comment threads for each individual podcast, or allow select, trusted users from your forums (I.E. IanSane) to submit their own podcasts... allowing of course that these community contributions come from trusted community members, are 2 minutes in length or shorter, and screened beforehand in both written and listened form. You could have a formal community contest in which users write a X-hundred word podcast script that you guys read, then allow us to podcast for you (or you to read for us). The key of course is that you screen the content beforehand, that screening is easy (because 2 minutes is short), and that you feature these user podcasts along your own to spice things up.

All in all, I suggest that you take advantage of your new news slant.

Drum it up with a cheesy news theme in all your "news segments."

Have new, quick, bite-sized, consumer friendly "news segments" at least 3 times a week, preferably more.

Have each of these short segments focus exclusively on one topic to squeze all that you can from each individual topic, and to never run out of possible topics.

Feature these all prominently on your front page in a podcast thumbnail slider that shows off how active you are and how easy it is to listen.

Be able to create new content easily by merely taking for 2-3 minutes at a time. BAM! New "news segment" to post!

Create additional content through rebuttal podcasts and the occasional user-submitted podcast.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 06:03:43 AM »
NWR is too boring and professional. I realize they want to be taken seriously, and not be seen as a fan site, but...Nintendo fans like fun. The site should be more fun.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 06:05:28 AM »
I like it!  I think Kairon's got the right style here.  If you can do video reports too, that'd be awesome!  I like the user podcasts, but if NWR goes away from type and onto other forms of media, I might just have to go for a staff position thing.  Anyways, that's some real style NWR could have.  I'd love to see video VC reviews that go through the basics of the game.  Those would be awesome.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE:I'm sure you're aware
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:22 AM »
That's why they need to drum up the cheesiness with a cheesy news theme like Broadcast News.

... Which... Youtube didn't have a clip of. So watch this other snippet from that movie instead!

Joan Cusack is awesome.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:09 AM »
Ah, but video reviews are tough. Because you have... well.. video.

They're awesome, but I bet they take SOOO much more production work, especially if you're gonna keep the news schlock included. Whereas a podcast just needs a cheesy intro and outro to make it feel official, a video news segment would need those, plus an intro screen, plus a made up fancy ticker along the bottom, plus someone videocasting from digs that look remotely respectable. A 2-3 minute audio news segment takes maybe 10 minutes to put together, not including prep. A 2 minute video news segment... probably sibstantially longert that it becomes unfeasable for a fansite of limited means.

No, when it comes to creating a well-crafted illusion of tongue-in-cheek professionalism, seeing is actually disbelieving.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »
But being able to see someone talk about the game they are playing while they play it would be worth it, if it's done professionally, unlike most of those youtube reviewers.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 06:28:54 AM »
Doing it professionally is the tough bit.

However, sticking to a radio format is much easier, and almost as good.

Besides... go video and not only will you have vastly increased production and time requirements, but you go up against the combined juggernaut of Bloodworth and gametrailers.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 07:40:10 AM »
What you guys want, we just don't have the manpower or budget for. Regular video content? With what editing suites? From what talented video editors? With what camera, and in what studio?

As for daily podcasts, it's something I'd love to do, but again, we just don't have the manpower to get a group together every day, do a show, edit everything together, and have it up by midnight. Remember that we all have dayjobs or go to school full time. While I'd never sacrifice our independent status for a corporate sponsorship, the downside is that we can't always keep up with 1Up or GameTrailers or Game Informer.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:13 AM »
I don't think most of us are asking you to keep up with those sites.  What we're asking for is for you to provide something that those other sites can't (or don't).  What separates NWR from its competitors?  What makes people want to visit your site?  Right now you have the forums, the podcast, trivia and a few scattered other things (like VC Mondays).  That's about it.   And most of these are only important to subsets of the general gaming population.  Big (worthwhile) features are far and few between.  Reviews/previews--while good--aren't anything special that readers can't get from other sites.  News is hit or miss depending on the day/time; even then it's often just a copy/paste of a press release.

When you take all that and combine it with the fact that the front page layout is less-than-stellar and ads completely overrun the site, it's no wonder that page views are down.  I know this isn't Karl's job, but someone over at NWR needs to sit down and come up with a plan to turn the site around before it completely stalls out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »
That's why I emphasize ONE-MAN podcasts that last 2-3 MINUTES.

There's no need to edit something so short except to input the intro and outro.
There's no need to organize around anybody's schedule if you don't need more than one person on the podcast.
And there's no need to do a lot of prep work when these are basically news segments with snippets of personalized commentary thrown in as an aside.

I think that all the logistical problems with podcasts are minimized if the audio releases drastically shrink in both length and scope, and the relative payout for daily news segment spoken snippets is huge compared to daily copy-pastings of press releases.

Feature these daily short news audio clips on the site front page and you're instantly differentiated from the other sites out there. Heck, you could even record the audio clip in five minutes with a voice recorder detween tasks anytime during the day, then slap the intro and outro later when you have time to download the file to your personal computer.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
What you guys want, we just don't have the manpower or budget for. Regular video content? With what editing suites? From what talented video editors? With what camera, and in what studio?

As for daily podcasts, it's something I'd love to do, but again, we just don't have the manpower to get a group together every day, do a show, edit everything together, and have it up by midnight. Remember that we all have dayjobs or go to school full time. While I'd never sacrifice our independent status for a corporate sponsorship, the downside is that we can't always keep up with 1Up or GameTrailers or Game Informer.

Yeah, it's hard to remember NWR isn't even made of paid staff.  Video reviews would be too tough, and highly criticized, too.  I do like the podcast snippets.  Something one person could write and say pretty quickly.  It isn't possible to duplicate on another site, so it could be very valuable.  I'd volunteer a guest column regularly if you guys took community efforts in the podcasts, and of course, if I can croon out a story well enough for NWR's standards.

I'd also like to see favorite comments being featured on articles/press releases, similar to the older system with PGC.com when staff comments would appear at the bottom of the story.  I know you guys switched that because you wanted to show an unbiased, accurate story and because you wanted to promote the forums, but if you selected good comments, it would allow more forum advertisement and bring character to the front page.

Additionally, I'd like to see what I, as a fan, can do for NWR.  Even though I only joined the forums around the beginning of the year or so, I've been visiting the site since Rick was in charge.  If you think it would help to call up Nintendo's hotline and mention something to them about the site, I'd love to.  If you guys ever accepted donations for running the site, I could certainly set aside a bit.  But I can't do anything if I don't know whether or not you guys might want a hand or not.  This site's just too good to fall out of the Nintendo fan's eyes, IMO.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 08:58:04 AM »
Let's do a rundown of the landscape of the internet gaming news and information scene.

First off, we have the big gamings sites with corporate sponsorship. The big three seem to be IGN, Gamespot, and 1up. Cassamassina over at IGN completely dominates the Nintendo coverage.

Message boards are becoming a popular news source and sites like NeoGaf, Penny Arcade Forums, and GameFAQs are popular. NeoGaf being a step above the rest.

Next, we have the gaming blogs. These have grown in popularity over the last couple years. The big three seem to be Joystiq, Kotaku, and Destructoid.

Narrowing it down further, we have the Nintendo centric gaming blogs. The big three of this group are GoNintendo, Infendo, and 4colorrebellion. RawmeatCowboy at GoNintendo is far and away the #1 site here.

Moving down(?) the chain we have Nintendo fan sites, or "Pro-Am" sites if you will. NWR, N-philes, and  N-sider are good examples. Lately, this category as a whole seems to be on the decline, but I believe NWR is probably #1 out of this group.

NWR is really more than a mere Nintendo fan site, and it just needs that extra push to take it to the next level, IMO.  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 09:21:48 AM »
I think this should be a topic for a podcast.  Karl, make it happen.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Heh, vudu, you know I'm always up for new podcast ideas. I'll shuffle stuff around the RFN regulars.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »
I don't have many ideas that would be doable with your budget, but perhaps having more exclusive writings, like editorials. Those are something that can't be duplicated and remain unique to the site. Heck Evan has enough time to write mile long ones on his blog, maybe have him split up his time to write some for NWR .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 11:32:46 AM »
You should put a mug shot of each staff member next to their editorials too, so you can build your brands.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 05:24:32 PM »
I really like Kairons idea for shorter podcasts. I think 5-10 minutes would be perfect. And yeah, more regular podcasts too.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »
I thought this topic was about the fact that planetgamecube.com is finally dead ;_;
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 05:08:52 AM »
I definitely second the podcasts, but I personally think it is also worth keeping the once a week podcast that currently exists. I also love the editorial idea, and think there is a ton of value there. The editorial probably needs to be proofread by one other member of the staff to make sure it makes sense and after that it can be thrown up on some regular basis. If that is too much work for the staff, bring in some forum regulars for editorials. I know I wouldn't mind writing one up every once in a while.

As many others have voiced, I rarely hit the front page of NWR and usually browse the forums for the latest news. It would be nice for NWR to offer up even more content that isn't news to really differentiate itself from the crowd.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2007, 06:36:26 AM »
I don't know, I sort of like the "niche" feel the site has...Thanks to that I pretty much have a grasp on all the personalities that post here, and that personal aspect really is the main reason I keep coming back here... =)

(Plus it keeps the morons out...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 07:03:47 AM »
Bill is an elitist confirmed....

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 09:07:52 AM »
That must mean that Bill LOVES Killer 7!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 10:28:07 AM »
I own Killer 7.  I haven't played it yet.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
Anyone who hasn't played through Killer 7 is made of fail.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
But they're not ignorant.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 12:56:27 PM »
Well, they're likely ignorant of the fact that they're made of fail.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »

You aren't my staff hero!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure I know that I'm a loser for not playing Killer 7 yet, but hey, I own it and it's a 3-day weekend.

But then again, I plan to watch Clemson beat the Noles Monday, too.  Choices, choices...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2007, 01:11:40 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy

I'm pretty sure I know that I'm a loser for not playing Killer 7 yet, but hey, I own it and it's a 3-day weekend.

But then again, I plan to watch Clemson beat the Noles Monday, too.  Choices, choices...

Actually you have a 3rd choice, go outside and watch the grass grow, that will be as entertaining as Killer7. hehehe

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »
Anyone who thinks English VA's aren't a big deal in Japanese fighting games is made of fail.

=P

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »
I also love the personal feel of the forums, and wish that would extend to the front page a bit more. I don't want NWR to be like Joystiq or other video game blogs where each story is accompanied by a cheesy 5-minute Photoshop job, but as it stands NWR is very much like a press room site. The news is delivered but the heart is sometimes missing.

I would love to see a return of the staff comments. Kairon's 'quickcast' idea is nice too. They should complement the main news articles (not all of them, mind you) and allow staff to offer up their thoughts. Actual news should remain in text. The great thing about audio is that while informal text seems unprofessional, informal speaking just sounds fun/inviting. More editorials would be welcome, too.
Thanks for listening.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »
It's the awful new name, the awful new redesign and the awful reviews.

But seriously, in the Cube era, when you typed in "GameCube" into Google, PGC would be in the top 5 results. Now, NWR is lost in the recesses of the Internet.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »
Well, Wii would get you millions of other sites too anyways...

But just an addendum to the quickcast idea: it'd be ideal if there was an easy way to go from clip to clip, like it would autoload the next short clip after you finished listening to one... that way just like news, you get stuck listening to more stories...

Yeah, but that's already getting a little ambitious.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 05:47:54 PM »
We should have a set up where new posters are limited to the general chat, console, hand held and friend code forums. After about a month, we vote to see whether they should get to 1) Get full access to the forums, 2) Get partial forum access, (not invited in to the funhouse) or 3) Banned for life.
That should keep the morons out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 05:55:41 PM »
Kairon, we already do that in the AAC version of Radio Free Nintendo. Each news story/talking point is separated by chapters, which you can skip back and forth from.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2007, 06:06:57 PM »
Wow, cool, that's a good starting point. Now if only you could post a steady stream of those shorter segments out over the week...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman
We should have a set up where new posters are limited to the general chat, console, hand held and friend code forums. After about a month, we vote to see whether they should get to 1) Get full access to the forums, 2) Get partial forum access, (not invited in to the funhouse) or 3) Banned for life.
That should keep the morons out.

Yikes Kairon, I think you and Mashiro should be thankful this wasn't the policy previously. hehe

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 12:36:17 AM »
I would never be here =( ::tears::  

Edit: zomg past 17 posts per average!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2007, 04:42:18 AM »

__Mashiro
Post Monster X

Only because your other tag doesn't fit you at all.
Silent...? not on these forums.
and Protagonist? hahah yeah right.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
It's supposed to be ironic damn it =P

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »
My title is ironic because, *shock*, I'm not really a loli...I only act like one... =3  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2007, 12:32:25 PM »
If half our regulars weren't from Aussie-Land, I'd say we could try for an NWR convention.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 12:41:38 PM »
Alright, well, Castaneda and I are in Florida, so it qualifies as the place to hold the NWR convention.  How about at the O'Connel center, so I only have to take a bus to get there?  I'll bring the Smash Bros. Melee!  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 03:14:46 PM »

Alright, well, Castaneda and I are in Florida, so it qualifies as the place to hold the NWR convention.
Bob and I are in Illinois.  Plus Chicago > any & all of Florida.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
However, I called it first.  So nana nana boo boo, stick your head in doo-doo.

Plus, Gainesville rox the sox offa everywhere else, even when it doesn't seem like it.  It's that hardcore.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:47 PM »
Gainesville was cool back when LTJ was cool.  (double burn)

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 04:56:52 PM »
Gainesville's level of cool for hosting the NWR convention is independent of the level of cool of independent music.  Gainesville is so cool it's hot.  In fact, it's so hot it caught Gerogia, Alachua County, Lake City, Columbia County, and just about everything else down here on fire this Summer.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 05:16:06 PM »
Look you two, we all know the the West Cost is the best coast and I happen to be in Cali, so thats where it should be held if it were to be held.
Actually I'm in the Bay Area to be more specific and nothing really beats the Bay Area as we have access to all the perks and comforts of all regions of the U.S. all within driving distance. So if you really wanted a place where you could find a place for all the NWR users to fit in and feel comfortable, here would be the place.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 08:42:48 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
Look you two, we all know the the West Cost is the best coast and I happen to be in Cali, so thats where it should be held if it were to be held.
Actually I'm in the Bay Area to be more specific and nothing really beats the Bay Area as we have access to all the perks and comforts of all regions of the U.S. all within driving distance. So if you really wanted a place where you could find a place for all the NWR users to fit in and feel comfortable, here would be the place.

Also living in the Bay Area, I approve of this post.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2007, 03:24:35 AM »
If something like this were to seriously happen, I saw *no* to the West coast.  Everything already happens on the West half of the country.  E3, PAX - y'all have your events.

I say Carmi, Illinois.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2007, 03:43:14 AM »
I say we meet in *cough* beautiful Rochester, NY. Hey me and Pale are out there.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 03:55:49 AM »
That *would* give me an excuse to go to the Nintendo store...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 05:58:41 AM »
I've been to that store twice.  I don't think it's really worth it.  I was excited, too.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »
I too live in NY =)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
No offense, but I wouldn't actually fly to New York to meet any of you, but if I happen to already be out there, then why not.
I have been wanting to visit NY for quite some time and I do know a really hot chick that lives out there, so I could always use that as the official excuse for being out there.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2007, 05:09:16 PM »
Visit sunny Florida!  With the beaches, the sports teams, theme parks, and the old people, Florida is the place to be!

Offline BigJim

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2007, 08:22:34 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
But we're dying
Death

What are you're theories?

No more Billy Berghammer, first and foremost.

I'm joining in way late, but whatever.

- I second/third/fourth (whatever it is by now) the idea of more podcasts. Doing weekly "mega" podcasts is fine, but I would also suggest a couple of staffers have their own short, regular 10-ish minute solo podcasts covering some topics. This way you could end up with 3-5 podcasts per week?

I think it would be a bit excessive to have a bunch of 2 minute clips, but if there are some things worthy of some additional discussion, go for it and just make a nice 5-10 minute solo podcast to talk about it. This wouldn't require scheduling collaboration, unless it were to clash with someone else's scheduled podcast (in which case, still make it, just delay it a day).

- You could even make the Mailbag a podcast, answering a couple of questions.

- I'd also like to see some more occasional serious roundtable-style discussions over big issues/topics. Be it podcast or written.

Ultimately, NWR doesn't have a "face" anymore like it did with Billy. That "personality" bled through in everything PGC did and kept the place fun. Take more risks!
"wow."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2007, 04:08:32 AM »
Excellent Points BigJim.  If you look a lot of the aspects of the site that displayed personality have not been around for awhile. Louie the Cat, Roundtable discussions, Side Comments from staff on the stories...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2007, 04:20:20 AM »

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Excellent Points BigJim.  If you look a lot of the aspects of the site that displayed personality have been around for awhile. Louie the Cat, Roundtable discussions, Side Comments from staff on the stories...

Oh man I miss Louie the Cat...

On a side note, and no offense, the stories themselves look... well, boring. I think making effort to include one picture per story (screenshot, production art, etc) when possible would spice up the look of the articles quite a bit.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2007, 04:32:29 AM »
Rochester isn't exactly the same as NY City.

Hell, when I went to that Press event I still flew there.    
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline mottsc

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »
I think I most miss the staff comments on stories. I think that's one of the things that the mini-podcasts would address. I also have to say that I like the idea of mini-podcasts even if they're just 30 seconds. But I think the mini-podcasts wouldn't be in high demand of staff comments were going on.

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »
I thought they ended the staff comments because they were afraid people would mix up the 'official' story or press release with the commentary. I know they mentioned it somewhere, but I can't find it .
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2007, 09:22:58 AM »
That is why, but I think people liked it the other way, honestly.  It's in just about every press release story.  There's a button that says something like "Why just a press release?"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »
First off:  Come to Tennessee. We're Playing your Song.

Second: BigJim hit the nail with the hammer.  When PGC became NWR a lot of the fun that was part of its being and the front page went poof.  We here at the forum try to keep it alive in are own way but the redesign and naming made the site more serious and it carried threw to the staffers.  It also doesn't help that their is not an easy way for us regulars to support the site.  I don't want to click on Ads that are useless to me.  Give me a link to Amazon, NWR Merchandise, or even a donate link.

Another thing is that the official part of the site tends to ignore us here in Forum Land.  The new weekly forum topic is a step in the right direction.  Though I can guarantee that the day UncleBob made it so that NWR Broke the news about the newest strap iteration was when NWR probably got the most advertising in a long while.

The strength here is the people and maybe it might be time to start considering finding a way to make a full time somebody work.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »

NWR Merchandise

Yes please.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2007, 02:35:17 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Alright, well, Castaneda and I are in Florida, so it qualifies as the place to hold the NWR convention.
Bob and I are in Illinois.  Plus Chicago > any & all of Florida.

That makes 3 in Il and I know theres one more person but I cant think of who it was. :/

As far as not having enough staff to do certain things.  I mean this site is all done with volunteers who get paid nothing, why not hire more people to do that sort of stuff.  The new staffers could take on news, previews, and vc mondays.   The older staff can take reviews, editorials, podcasts and new features.  I just think its hard to be creative when you guys are spread so thin.  You all have have lives outside of NWR obviously so why not get more people involved within the site and make more happen.  

As far as video for the site goes. . . . no one really can't do that unless they had capture equipment which no one has really so nix to that idea.

I am really liking the quick podcast idea and it could be implemented so quickly.

For example:

Yesterday there was the press release for the Links crossbow training.  Now if I was the staffer I immediately turn on my recording software say my two cents on what I think of Nintendo using their franchise to sell a wii-add on and quit the recording.  I import the sound clip into Adobe Audition, delete some of the dead space make sure my sound sounds clear and I upload it with the press release.  

Another weird idea which I am sure people wouldnt like would be a once in awhile open forum podcast where people from the forum could all log on together and have a discussion.  If there is too many people maybe just randomly choose 3 forum posters and 2 staff members and have a way with it.  That way NWR is going one step further to interact with their audience.  

Contests are another way to have fun but I understand that prizes can be hard to get from sponsors perhaps that is why the NWR Hot Topic died.

OMG NEW MEGATON IDEA

Have a NWR official comic, you can even make a contest to see who would get the job.  Or what if you had people send in a comic every week and the best was shown off. If the comics become popular enough you can have almost a web comic spin off going on.  Web comics can make money if marketed right.  Look at VgCats the guy updates every few weeks with just one comic and he doesnt even need to have a job anymore.  

I still say that a lot can happen with the site and that no one should be spread thin, just hire new people to take the older staff's jobs so they can move on to bettering the site.    

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »

Look at VgCats the guy updates every few weeks with just one comic and he doesnt even need to have a job anymore.

VGCats blows as of late though he is so freaking lucky to not need a job just doing his comics so infrequently. But alas you are right.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2007, 01:50:24 PM »
I think the prizes for hot topic could be easily acquired if UncleBob would just clean out his storage unit. (and feed those of us still trapped inside)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2007, 02:05:11 PM »
Back in your security locker!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2007, 10:25:48 PM »

Originally posted by: darkheart

As far as video for the site goes. . . . no one really can't do that unless they had capture equipment which no one has really so nix to that idea.

Actually I believe Pro666 has all that and even uploads it to his DivX based site, not that I'm volunteering anyone, but just thought I would point it out.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart

Actually I believe Pro666 has all that and even uploads it to his DivX based site, not that I'm volunteering anyone, but just thought I would point it out.

Pro666 to be new person in charge of video content for NWR? CONFIRMED.

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2007, 03:19:38 PM »
Daisy Pr0n on NWR CONFIRMED.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2007, 03:46:11 PM »
Actually, I have a DVC camera.  I could actually film stuff, but I have abysmal editing skills.

If NWR ever wanted me to tape something, I totally could.  Although, I have no idea what I would need to record, it's possible.

And, it's all the more reason for everyone to visit Florida!

Not to mention, Nintendo had some kind of corporate shindig at LOEWS Hotels' Portofino Bay at Universal Studios last September.  I don't know what it was for, and I don't know who all went, all I know is some marketing lady that said she knew Reggie was leading a crew with a microphone and cameras around a month or two before hand.  So, if it's good enough for Washington-based NOA, it should be plenty good for NWR...  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
Well, to take this back to the original post, I ran NWR through the normal site tracker I use (compete.com, which for me gives much better results than Alexa) and it seems to turn a much more positive picture. There was a pretty steep drop off here in February, but that's not usual post holiday and general traffic appears to be picking up compared to the time the URL launch:

(tossed in my own site for shits and giggles, and to portray that the Holiday "surge" is usual even for websites)
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
What we're asking for is for you to provide something that those other sites can't (or don't).  What separates NWR from its competitors?  What makes people want to visit your site?

Porn

Wait, no.  Porn
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2007, 06:53:35 PM »

Daisy Pr0n on NWR CONFIRMED.

I love this thread already.  Only read the first page and I short circuited 5 pages of discussion.  
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2007, 03:17:21 AM »
For the record, Arbok, the numbers in your graph don't even come out to 1/16th of our actual hits.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2007, 04:49:36 AM »
hmm, 400k hits? Time to put out some merchandise and convert some of that traffic to cold hard cash!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2007, 09:02:58 AM »
OMG NWR FAILZ AUGUS O 06!
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »

For the record, Arbok, the numbers in your graph don't even come out to 1/16th of our actual hits.

Well the accuracy in the general hits and surges for my site is around 38%, which was more accurate than Alexa... I guess it's way off this time. Although, wait a minute, when you say hits do you mean repeat visitors or unique visits in a given period? If it's the former, then it only tracks 10% accuracy for my site... but I assume they calculate by the other approach.

I'd still vouch for it being more accurate compared to Amazon's service for traffic, which actually has TohoKingdom above NWR in the most recent three month period, which I highly, highly doubt.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

• Staff Clone
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »
Unique.

And yeah, you're right about it being far more accurate than Alexa. I think the rest of the staff agrees with me that in my being proud of our readership for NOT having that Toolbar piece of crap.