Author Topic: The Simpsons Movie  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The Simpsons Movie
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:10:48 PM »
So I just got back from the Simpsons movie. I went in not thinking it was going to be all that funny. I'll admit, I used to love the show but after a certain point the writers and stuff just made it not that funny.

Well let me tell you, I have never been so glad that I was wrong. Holy crap what a funny movie!

The dream team (of writers) is back and they made the Simpsons funny again. I honestly thought the Simpsons had run their course, that their days of hilarity was over but no, it was a non-stop laugh fest of a movie.

Well worth the admission price, I highly recommend it to anyone. Even my sister left the film saying "I never found the show funny but this was really good!".

So yeah go out and see it asap =)

I won't spoil anything but sit through some of the credits for a little something at the end

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:The Simpsons Movie
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
I agree. I'm glad someone made this topic so I didn't have to. Likewise, I haven't watched the show in ages (although not as long as the person I went to see it with, as she was shocked when I told her Maude Flanders had died) due to declining quality, but I felt this was a full return to glory for the franchise. Just so many jokes done right. Simply put, I enjoyed myself at this film more than any other this year so far. Highly recommended!
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
RE: The Simpsons Movie
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »
Wow.

Just wow.

Honestly, I was going to see it anyways (being an old-school simpsons fan and all), but I would have never thought it would be so highly recommended.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:06:32 PM »
Good Movie. It had a lot more "heart" than I was expecting. Really Fun.
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »
I might eventually see it, but I just don't have a lot of motivation.  The Simpsons back in their glory days, the first 9 Seasons is my favorite TV show ever.  But once you go past Season 10 it just got worse and worse and the last several years have just been complete unwatchable crap.

Because of that, I just don't really have the heart for anything that has to do with The Simpsons these days.  Unless it's watching the episodes from the first 9 Seasons because I still love those.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 12:02:44 AM »
I've never been a fan of the Simpsons, but due to these recommendations, I will Netflix it right now.

Impressions in 6 ---> 8 months

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 12:08:07 AM »
Hated it. The Simpsons used to be a cultural critique of the American nuclear (nuke-yuh-lur) family - in the past ten seasons it has descended into gag-shows aiming slightly lower than Family Guy and slightly higher than Futurama for cultural relevance. The storylines have gotten soppy while non-sequiturs dominate the humor. Character used to matter in The Simpsons - Homer may have been dumb, but he wasn't stupid. Now he's just stupid.

The movie, while funny, lands firmly in the latter half of the Simpsons 18 season run in terms of quality. I laughed. So what? Laughing isn't indicative of quality, even in a comedy. When I took theatre classes, I learned a great lesson: comedy is truth. That's why character, story, environment, all matter to how funny a movie is.

The random gags of The Simpsons movie beat out any other part of the film, including the stupid Flanders subplot. If the only thing I can remember in the film is how funny it was when something random happened, how good is the film actually?

Pixar's animated films have been moving in the right direction, from gag-oriented humor (Toy Story, Monsters Inc.) towards character and environment driven humor. The best example is The Incredibles, where the humor organically comes out of the interplay between the characters' family roles and their superhero roles. Or Ratatouille, where parts of the film aren't funny at all, yet the movie is truthful and beautiful. When we do get to laugh in that movie, it's a treasure. When we're not laughing in The Simpsons movie, we're bored, because NOTHING interesting is happening.

We're so conditioned to consider a comedy film as nothing but a string of gags and jokes - television sitcoms have us convinced that if the studio audience is laughing, then we should be. Even without a studio audience, we still think that everything must be punctuated by a laugh. The Simpsons movie is just trying too hard to fulfill that unnecessary expectation.

It turns out Paprika opened up in the podunk town I live in on the same day, and I mistakenly chose to see The Simpsons without knowing I was missing out. That error will be fixed ASAP.  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 12:36:26 AM »
This movie was AWESOME. As a fan of the show, who stuck it out through crappy Season 10, and has seen every episode since the first, I couldn't be happier with the direction they took the movie. Lots of laughs from beginning to end and a story line that held together quite well to the end of the film. Plenty of the typical Simpson antics, and more laughs than any particular episode of the show.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the movie Evan, I thought it was one of the best this year.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 03:32:25 AM »
Svevan can't enjoy anything without over analyzing it to death. CONFIRMED.

I thought it was one of the better films of the year as well Mr.Jack.

Because of that, I just don't really have the heart for anything that has to do with The Simpsons these days. Unless it's watching the episodes from the first 9 Seasons because I still love those.

If it helps at all, a lot of the shows original writers/ best writers came back to do the movie. Which is the only explanation I can give as to why it was actually funny as opposed to the new stuff.

Futurama big screen movie next please!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 03:39:42 AM »
I'll have to see it.  Though if its comedy like the original Shrek, one layered, I'll probably be bored.  If its comedy more in line of the Naked Gun series, multiple layers, then I'll probably really enjoy it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 03:58:56 AM »
Ogres are like onions.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 06:51:48 AM »
Naked gun..... now that is a funny movie, same with 2 1/2 and 33 1/3

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »
"cinco de mayo fiesta (september 18)"

i was the only person who laughed when i saw that in the background...

this movie really was great, much much better than i had expected. i wasnt aware that the original writers were back for the film but it does explain alot, becuase honestly the show has been dipping in quality over the years.

this movie however makes up for it. as good as it was though, its a bit bittersweet to actually see it realized after so long. i say this because i've read on a few occasion that creator Matt Groening wouldnt do the movie until he wanted to end the series. Im not sure if thats how he still feels though. if it is the end of the simpsons than im glad they went out with a bang, but if its not i'd hate for them to carry on without the same magic that made the movie and the first few seasons so amazing.

i have nothing negative at all to say about the movie, not one thing. it wasnt too long, it wasnt too short and jokes came in all forms; wether it was one liners, sight gags or a jab at american politics. the movie was just plain awesome.

the only bad thing i can say about the experience was the two guys sitting next to me and my friends. on the right i had someone that could of been the real life Comic Book Guy who was breathing so hard i thought he hid a resperator somewhere and the guy to our left who was some jerk frat  boy who yelled at stupid things during the entire thing. Not just the movie mind you, he even yelled stuff out during trailers.. there were plenty of lil kids in the audience that were annoying but this guy was much worse. We all know how lil kids are so most of us can tolerate them when they do things like shouting out lines they thought were funny in the trailer (ie spider pig..) but then this jerkoff 20something shouts things like "DONT QUOTE THE MOVIE" to some innocent 5yo and ruins his and everyone elses time. if it were any other movie i would of had to lean over my friend to punch him in the face, and it wouldnt be the first time i've been kicked ouf of a movie for doing so.. /rant
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 10:07:31 AM »
Is it anywhere close to the magic that was Season 6?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »
i dont remember season numbers, sorry
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »
This is Season 6

Of course my personal favorites are Season 4 and Season 5
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:40 AM »
oh The Shinning, how i love thee

"you can use it to contact willy, just dont do it between the hours of X and X, thats Willy's time!"

if you're a simpsons fan big or small, just go see the damn movie.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
For what it's worth, I think that Evan made a lot of good points. I plan on seeing this movie monday during the day when the theaters are slightly less crowded. The main reason I want to see it is because I have this, "It's about damn time" kind of feel to it as opposed to a, "Alright, sweet!" feel like I did with the South Park movie. Then again, I was pretty young when that came out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 04:36:45 AM »
Ha...I figured I'd catch the late show at 11:30, but even that was sold out of course (opening night, forgot). I ended watching Chuck and Larry, which wasn't the disaster I thought that'd be either
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »
Perfection is all I can say to describe it. Possibly the best movie of all time

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
Just saw it today! Surprisingly good and watchable, and of course funny. But of course, Evan is right. This isn't Simpson's at its best. It's Simpsons "Real Good" Edition... but it lacks some of the completely integrated magic that certain timeless episodes had. There was heart in the movie... and while I liked it, it could've had more.

On the other hand, The Disney section in Alaska was AWESOME.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 05:01:02 PM »

but it lacks some of the completely integrated magic that certain timeless episodes had

True but I mean its near impossible to expect a movie of a series that is going on its 19th season to really be as good as its peak (without recycling material, which is another reason why the Simpsons lost a lot of it's magic.). Honestly a series can only go on so long before becoming stale and played out and if anything the movie would have been a great ending to the series as it was "Real Good" as you put it.

Though I will say the movie had one moment where I had to give props to Julie Kavner the voice of Marge in the video recorded scene explaining to Homer that the love in their marriage was pretty much gone and that to show how serious she was she recorded over their wedding tape. The raw emotion from her voice was so perfectly done that it gave a level of emotion I haven't felt from the series well ever. So it did have some magic

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
But of course, Evan is right. This isn't Simpson's at its best. It's Simpsons "Real Good" Edition... but it lacks some of the completely integrated magic that certain timeless episodes had.

Hmm....

Originally posted by: Svevan
Hated it. .... The movie, while funny, lands firmly in the latter half of the Simpsons 18 season run in terms of quality. I laughed. So what? Laughing isn't indicative of quality, even in a comedy.

I'm definitely not getting the Simpsons "Real Good" Edition vibe from Evan's post myself...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Haha. Real Good is my take. Svevan is much less forgiving. Look, he admits it made him laugh. Then, as with me, he goes... "so what?" Not enough heart!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

but it lacks some of the completely integrated magic that certain timeless episodes had

True but I mean its near impossible to expect a movie of a series that is going on its 19th season to really be as good as its peak (without recycling material, which is another reason why the Simpsons lost a lot of it's magic.). Honestly a series can only go on so long before becoming stale and played out and if anything the movie would have been a great ending to the series as it was "Real Good" as you put it.

Though I will say the movie had one moment where I had to give props to Julie Kavner the voice of Marge in the video recorded scene explaining to Homer that the love in their marriage was pretty much gone and that to show how serious she was she recorded over their wedding tape. The raw emotion from her voice was so perfectly done that it gave a level of emotion I haven't felt from the series well ever. So it did have some magic

I agree with you completely about that moment in the movie. There were some serious emotions in alot of the episodes but that scene was just... Wow

i never heard lines spoken with so much emotion that actually came off as real on not some actor hamming it up.