Author Topic: FEAR Pokémon: they're the greatest ever.  (Read 16567 times)

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
FEAR Pokémon: they're the greatest ever.
« on: July 21, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »
This is an excerp of sorts from the report I'm writing up on the recent Nintendo run Pokémon tournament. It'll be posted in full at pietriots.com when I finish. NWR's new Australian corrospondant Casey Basire DID NOT GO! While that would be excuseable if he lived in say, Darwin, the fact is I stayed at his house the night beforehand.

Round Two Battle - Enter FEAR Phanpy
I promised myself when the tournament was first announced that I would get myself a battle on the big screen and open with a FEAR Pokémon (if you won’t understand the term, bear with me.) Apparently they had been discussed at most of the tours around the country but at the end of the day, nobody yet had the audacity to use the most hilarious, humiliating and reckless tactic in the Pokémon world. I had made myself a level 4 Ratatta who was a good candidate but the day before my friend Dan called me to say he wont be coming to Pokétour, choosing Harry Potter instead. However he said that his sister who wanted to go but found herself stuck in Kalgoorlie had trained up a FEAR Phanpy for the tournament and he asked if I wanted it. I said sure as Phanphy is generally regarded as the ideal FEAR Pokémon, being able to withstand sandstorms. He sent it over and I lolled when I saw it’s nickname was XBOX-360.

The setup for round two was different. If you were one of the 64 contestants left remaining you simply walked up to one of the battle stations with a partner and away you went. The main screen cleared out and some kid eagerly stepped up “We need one more” the attendant announced and I pushed my way through for the second spot. My opponent was one of those dorky 11/12 year old kids who reckons he’s tip top but is in actual fact a total loser, ie. He was perfect for FEAR.

I am trembling with anticipation at this point and busily swapping around my team and items to accomodate XBOX-360 into the party. The kid is getting agitated “yeah sorry just saving now” I innocently reply. The other thing about big screen battles is that one player (in this case me) has the oppurtunity to view his opponents Pokémon prior to battle. The kid understood this and tryed to negoiate looking at my Pokémon in return. I declined and quickly chose my team. Being the good sport I am I looked away and chatted to the small crowd that had formed.

Battle begins.
“Roland sent out XBOX-360” the screen announced. The nervous giggles from the crowd at the sight of the nickname quickly turned into outright laughter when XBOX-360 turned out to be a Phanpy, at level 1.
-------
Phanpy, n/named XBOX-360, Lv 1
Original Trainer: Rachael
Fissure
Endeavour
Ice Shard
Rollout
Hold Item: Focus Sash
-------
“Don’t laugh I just caught him” I told the crowd. I did however, over the laughter, hear a few gasps of joy and excitement from the maybe 2 or 3 people watching who knew what was about to happen.
He sent out Gyrados and the crowd was in stitches, even the attendants who Nintendo just hire through local modelling agencies were amused at what appeared to be the biggest missmatch since David and Goliath.
“Are you serious? How did you get to round 2 with a level 1 Pokémon?” the kid asked with a snear.
“Oh I dunno, I have a couple of others”
Gyrados attacked with Hydro Pump, hitting poor Phanpy. The crowd is still laughing their heads off, and the noise was getting louder as other people stopped to look at what the fuss was about. Phanpy’s health bar was plunging downwards and then stopped! “It’s super effective!” the screen proclaimed. In this second or so, the crowd was just gasping in amazement, a Nintendo rep stopped in her tracks, stunned “Woah!” she says. “Hax?” someone watching nervously asks. “XBOX-360 hung on with Focus Sash!” the screen explained to the stunned crowd.
“XBOX-360 used Endeavour” the crowd started up again but this time instead of laughing they were CHEERING! “OH MY GOD MAN” some kid is yelling at me. I have this huge smile on my face, my opponent is totally flabbergasted. Gyrados' HP bar plunges to match mine at 1HP. Facing the crowd, I triumphantly raise two fingers in the air and bring them down again, selecting Ice Shard, an attack that always goes first. “XBOX-360 used Ice Shard” as the screen fills with the blue Ice Shard effect the crowd has gone totally crazy, a couple of guys pretty much mobbed me, wanting to shake my hand and swap high fives. Nintendo reps are telling everyone to get back behind the white line. Everybody is laughing their heads off, even the people in the other battles who had paused to watch. Everybody except my opponent who was absolutely livid in anger, the colour draimed from his face.

The battle still wasn’t over, and at that point I didn’t care if I won or lost, the highlight of the day had just happend. I can’t be botehred going into much detail but his Arcanine was pretty formidable, taking out my Metagross, Crobat came to the party though, U-Turning Arcanine and then hynotising, confusing and U-Turning his shiny (!!!) Luxray for the win. Crobat was pretty lucky when his Thunder missed but the kid should’ve been using Thunderbolt anyway, Lax Incence was a wise choice of hold item.  
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
RE:FEAR Pokémon: they're the greatest ever.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 05:37:17 PM »
Absolutely awesome!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: FEAR Pokémon: they're the greatest ever.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
Sounds loads better than the EB/Gamestop tournament held over here...

Also, what move is "Fissue"?

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »
Fissure I was meant to say. it was a totally useless filler move.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »
Hahahahahah, I'm totally looking forward to getting this game when I get back

Offline Sir_Stabbalot

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 01:42:07 AM »
Oh man, I gotta do that to my friend!
"I am going away, but the State will always remain" - Louis XIV, on his deathbed.

"Chimps are like fine wine: I drink them both." - A friend of a friend of mine.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 02:01:29 AM »
Wow that's probably the best pokemon battle story i've ever heard lol rock on.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 07:12:57 AM »
FEAR Pokemon work much better in the last slot, though, since after endeavor, your opponent can switch out and ruin your battle strategy.  Overall, that's their weakness.  They only make decent team members when your opponent is on his last Pokemon, if your opponent knows what's up.

Unless there's one with pursuit.  Then you'd have to predict your opponent's move.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:06:30 AM »
ROFL! That was some kickass maneuver.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 02:52:46 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
FEAR Pokemon work much better in the last slot, though, since after endeavor, your opponent can switch out and ruin your battle strategy.  Overall, that's their weakness.  They only make decent team members when your opponent is on his last Pokemon, if your opponent knows what's up.

Unless there's one with pursuit.  Then you'd have to predict your opponent's move.

I disagree. For them to be any effect at finsihing, you have to already be winning the battle. Leading with them allows you to spy their second Pokémon too.

And no one ever switches out against FEAR, the risk that a second Pokémon get's endeavoured is just too great. In these face to face battles you can tell when you're opponent is going the switch.

The real weakness of FEAR is ghost Pokémon because Endeavour wont touch them. Phanpy still remains the ideal FEAR pokemon though for it's ability to switch INTO an electric attack and it's ability to withstand sandstorms. Which brings up another devastating tactic: Sandstorming, exploding and then bringing in Phanpy. In a trick room it could be unbeatable.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
Alright, I see you've thought that out.  I can see a strategy working out where you could take down one Pokemon completely, switch, trick room, and take a second down to one HP.  The Sandstorm part would KO the second.  However, I disagree with being able to tell in person about whether or not someone's going to switch.  Whenever there's any chance I'm switching in person, I purposefully take a dramatically long time with whatever action I choose, to throw the other player off.  It's worked pretty well for me before, so watch out for that kind of people.

With those ghosts:  Can Phanpy learn Destiny Bond?

So how far did you get?

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
I made it to the top 16, ie Round 4. Should've brought back Phanpy for the top 16 match, this guy left Crunch on his Garchomp and with it outspeeding my Metagross and Crunch letting it hit my Shedinja I could only really stall him with Crobat.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:46:48 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
The real weakness of FEAR is ghost Pokémon because Endeavour wont touch them.

Or if the opponent has a first priority move of their own, which will hit before Phanpy does with Ice Shard. Fake Out will also ruin a FEAR set for that matter, although hardly anyone carries it.

All in all, there are a lot of counters to FEAR style characters, and their biggest weakness is simply that any advanced player will be able to spot what you are about to do right away if you bring out an unevolved Pokemon that could learn Endeavor.

Generally, if you are going to use one, you will want to save it mid-to-late game, so you can scout to see if the opponent might have any ghosts in their arsenal left.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 02:19:49 AM »
Best battle ever, perfect execution

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 04:28:09 AM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
I made it to the top 16, ie Round 4. Should've brought back Phanpy for the top 16 match, this guy left Crunch on his Garchomp and with it outspeeding my Metagross and Crunch letting it hit my Shedinja I could only really stall him with Crobat.

is that to say top 16 out of 128? If so, grats!

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 02:43:16 PM »
yep 16 out of 128. I'm pretty satisfied with it. Especially after losing in the second round last year.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
i gotta say this new pokemon game rocks multiplayer.  Oh and 18 Days, I hope they gave you some kind of award like best match.

My personal favorite match is still against Shecky.  First match we were in doubles and left with 2 pokemon each.  Both his guys were about to die while mine were both at a high health.  He decided to force a draw by exploding.  In the rematch i ended the battle with my Lopunny using endure while my Golem using explosion.  Sweet sweet revenge

His following match however he pulled in a Gengar and all i could do was hang on to dear life hoping confusion would kill him.  I got pretty close for a team that couldn't directly hurt a ghost type.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
I bought it today (Pearl)! I'm pretty sure I was going to buy it anyway but 18 days's post here made me make sure I did it promptly. Please give me some general hints to speed run through and start building some strong ass gangsters.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:14:09 PM »
Tips for speed running
Grab every berry you can but don't plant any back.
Catcha  bidoof and teach it all the HMs it can handle. It can learn pretty much all of them exccept Fly and Defog.
Teach Fly and Defog to Starly.
Starly is actually good and worth training as a member of your team, only train Bidoof when you get the HM for Waterfall, fly to the move deltor house, delete Cut, evolve the Bidoof and teach it Waterfall.

That's about it.  
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 04:04:47 PM »
Do not get side tracked playing the mini games, i.e the competition rooms, the Underground, and hook up with somebody online to evolve some of your pokemon such as Kadabra into Alakazam.  Oh and don't go crazy and catch every new pokemon you see, a lot of them are filler.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 06:39:28 PM »
Okey dokey. For some reason, I mailed my wireless router to myself from Japan instead of packing it, so I guess I might buy a dongle in the meantime.

Question: how about transferring from Ruby/Sapphire? How does that work? I don't think I have a save file with any real progress on it, but I could give it to my little sister or something and then swipe all the good Pokemon.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 09:46:34 PM »
Dont listen to WuTangTurtle there's no such thing as a filler Pokemon, almost anything can be used effectively

To transfer GBA Pokemon you have to finish the game first then a park will open up where you can catch GBA Pokemon, 6 per day is the limit though

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 06:22:45 PM »
Pokemon contests are crap. Avoid them at all costs. Don't even go in that building.

Edit: That's six per day, per game. You can do multiple games in one day. For instance, I do emerald and leaf green in the same day.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2007, 02:47:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Mario
Dont listen to WuTangTurtle there's no such thing as a filler Pokemon, almost anything can be used effectively

To transfer GBA Pokemon you have to finish the game first then a park will open up where you can catch GBA Pokemon, 6 per day is the limit though

That sir is true.  I've used quite a few of them myself, just because I like them.....(Lopunny)