Author Topic: Gamers, Help me in my class... Please take my quick questionaire!  (Read 7757 times)

Offline spudicus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Gamers, Obvioulsy since your here you play games, and I am looking for some field data for my SOCI 201 class. I am studying, " Does violence in todays games affect children". I am guessing you are mostly all around the age of majority, so use your past experinces. Please answer this honestly and thoughtfully.
1. Did you play violent games as a child?
2. Did those games affect your life, beliefs, or desesenitize you?
3. Do violent games these days desensetize or corrupt children?
Thanks for your time and answers.
I am spudicus!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Gamers, Help me in my class... Please take my quick questionaire!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 10:24:21 PM »
1. Yes
2. No
3. Possibly, but very rarely i'd assume.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 11:59:50 PM »
1. Yes, only Wolfenstein. I've only played Doom II once.

2. No. Wolfenstien was only ever a distraction from swimming, cricket and school. I played Dig Dug, Space Invaders and Asteroids more than Wolfenstein. It's affected my life, though, only in that they nutured my love of games and led me to Nintendo.

3. I think that yes, violent games do corrupt SOME children in a way. Games are getting realistic, and are stored on large mediums. Therefore, developers can depict very realistic scenes of violence and gore (RE, ED and GTA3). I think that kids nowadays begin to see the realities of life at too early an age, and that would make them expect more from their games than is necessary.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 04:42:43 PM »
1)  Yes.  I'll name some: Doom, Platoon, Quake, Mortal Kombat (with the "extra blood" code in.....oooh, I'm a rebel. )probally all violent games, I've played them.

2)  No.  In fact I'm more sensitive to violence that most, I think.

3)  I don't know.  No one I know is "desensitized" to violence and almost everyone I know has played violent video games.  I can't say anything about other people, but I highly doubt it.
it was time for a change.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 04:58:53 PM »
1. Yep! My first game ever was Wolfenstein 3D, actually, and I played Doom I and II a *whole* lot. I play a lot of Final Doom now.
2. Other than giving me a keen liking for first-person shooters, no, they ddin't affect me. People who know me will tell you I wouldn't hurt a fly. I had a good upbringing and hence know the difference between fantasy and reality.
3. If the kid has mental problems or has trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality, well yeah, but I think anyone has to be at least a little crazy to inflict pain on a member of their own species. The fact is, most kids aren't affected at all by violent games. While some games may not be as good for developing problem solving skills as others, they certainly don't detoriate one's mind.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 05:19:35 PM »
Yes, some examples are Doom and Hexen, my favorites at the time.

2. Did those games affect your life, beliefs, or desensitize you?
They made me MORE non-violent in real life.  I'm forever squeamish, but less so now than before.  If an option is available to reduce gore, I usually use it.  I don’t let gore stop me from playing a good game though.

3. Do violent games these days desensitize or corrupt children?
Desensitize?  Maybe.  Corrupt?  No.  I can’t stress it enough: parents/guardians, and only parents/guardians, are accountable for what material is exposed to children.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 06:00:10 PM »
1. yes

2. yes

3. yes
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 06:47:02 PM »

Originally posted by: spudicus
Gamers, Obvioulsy since your here you play games, and I am looking for some field data for my SOCI 201 class. I am studying, " Does violence in todays games affect children". I am guessing you are mostly all around the age of majority, so use your past experinces. Please answer this honestly and thoughtfully.
2. Did those games affect your life, beliefs, or desesenitize you?
3. Do violent games these days desensetize or corrupt children?
Thanks for your time and answers.

1)  Yes.  I watched violent movies and read violent books as well.
2)  No.  I was born that way.  I sought out that kind of entertainment because that's who I am.
3)  Seriously, I think that kids these days are just a bunch of little bastards, and games have little to do with that.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 11:38:18 AM »
1)Yes, I was an avid player of Doom and Wolfenstein
2)No, I am still very sqeemish
3)No I do not think it is teaching them to be violent. The same has been told to me about games like cops n' robbers, power rangers, a whole list of things, but not once have I seen kids actually become more violent. I have seen kids become stupider about games like Tony Hawk though, lots of idiot kids decide they know how to skate and do insane tricks and bust their face open on walls.  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 12:13:52 PM »
1.  It depends what you mean by child.  I was in High School (Junior High if I lived in the States) at the time that games like Wolfenstein and Mortal Kombat were popular.  Technically I was still a kid but I was mature enough at the time to not really be affected by it.  I would have been able to play Teen games at the time if the ESRB existed.
2.  Not really.  I'm sure violence in movies or TV would have desesenitized me first.  Games weren't my first exposure to violence so they didn't really affect me.
3.  Violent games can depending on the person.  It's really a case by case basic and it's silly to make a blanket statement because of a few violent crazy kids.  A violent person is already going to be interested in violent games to begin with so you can't come to conclusions that because a kid who killed someone played games that games caused them to do that.  If you're going to condem violent games then you have to condem all forms of violent entertainment and of course any anti-videogame activist isn't going to want to do that because they like other forms of entertainment like TV and movies.  It's only because videogames are relatively new and are only familiar to people 35 and under that they're targetted.  In 20 years when the politicians and protesters are the same kids who grew up with games they'll target something else.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 12:17:42 PM »
I love how nolimit filled his post with deep, thoughtful insights. Very moving.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 12:47:06 PM »
1. Yes, the likes of Mortal Kombat, Doom II, even played a fairly uncommon game by the name of "Harvester" on the PC at the age of five. It was one of those FMV type games, one 'boss' involved you aiming for his head and shooting, once defeated, you'd see him grasping his head and screaming in pain, followed by a nice explosion, consisting of brain fluid and various bits of body meat. Nice. Too bad the gameplay was about as fun as shoving blades under your tounge.

2. I think have video games to thank for my total lack of 'gross out' factor. I've sat through a VCD of "Faces of Death" and ended up smirking at some of the more hilarious deaths, my friends got to the point where they couldn't look on anymore..

3. Tough one. I very much doubt video games corrupt children, sure, some pre-teen might have an unhealthy amount of fun blowing the heads of old woman in GTAIII, but it's an escape. A stress reliever. Without these violent games, we'd most likely see more school shootings and so on. Society is one big kick in the face these days, kids go through more and more stress, even at tender ages. They need to escape once and a while..

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2003, 10:00:56 PM »
1. Yes, Doom I and II, Duke Nukem, Resident Evil 2 (on my bro's PSX), Command & Conquer, and Red Alert (I mention those last two because in the original C&C I recall two videos showing people being shot in the head, also on the battlefield you saw troops getting charred by flamethrowers, fried by obelisks and naplamed also, in Red Alert it was being electricuted by the tesla coils, torn apart by dogs etc.)  
2. No, saw it as nothing more then mindless fun
3. I don't believe so, maybe if the kid had issues to begin with then they could be more influenced by a game's subject matter, Ex. not being able to seperate fantasy from reality    

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2003, 08:18:54 AM »
1)  yes i did- most of those games mentioned so far sound like what i played
    i have also watched r rated movies and such since i was about 8

2)  not at all- mostly because they are not real

3)  i do not agree with that- people make scape-goats all the time out of things- and videogames are the biggest now
    it gets very annoying to me to listen to people go on about how videogames corrupt society and lead to violence
    it is not the game- it is the person, and the sooner people see this, the sooner something could be done
    people should not blame others, but that is just not possible as everything needs something to blame
    videogames are just the biggest blame now, as movies and tv were before
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Joshums

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2003, 11:27:20 AM »
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
Ph33r teh Joshums!!!11

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2003, 11:47:59 AM »
1. Yes
2. No
3. Only if they're f**ked up to begin with.

I actually did a research paper on this and after a bunch of research, I came across a load of studies that says when normal people play violent video games, it actually lowers their agressive behavior.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2003, 03:49:15 PM »
1) yeah, i played a few, your wolfensteins your mortal kombats etc
2) not really, aside from pointing out i tend to suck at first person shooters and beat em ups
3) no, games dont effect normal people, if they did, would it just be violent games that effect people? i dont belive so, does tetris effect people to try and slot shapes into perfect patterns? does  zelda cause people to roam the country side looking for a princess that needs saving by traveling time? etc etc i think you get my point

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2003, 08:29:01 PM »
1 yes. Doom, wolfenstien, N.A.R.C, mortal kombat...etc.
2 no, in fact violence in a game doesnt phase me, however when i see the slightest bit
of blood on tv or real life i am grossed.
3 No, kids need to know the difference between reality and fantasy. Those kids who go and shoot up
schools already had sever psychological problems that proably go back as far as their early youths. You
can usually tell right from about 1st grade who will end up a bad seed.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2003, 09:01:41 PM »
1.  yes

2.  I don't think so.  SHORT ANSEWER - no

3.  Perhaps.  It's hard to say really, I'm sure there's a small desensitizing effect on children.  I think video game violence is more relevant today then when I was younger and I think it will continue to be a larger issue as video games become more realistic in the future.  SHORT ANSEWER - yes

[ Edit ] I don't think Vgames corrupt kids though so for that aspect I say NO
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline K-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2003, 11:44:37 PM »
1- Yes, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic (lol)
2- No
3- Unfortionatly, it does to some. If you were raised right and were taught that it was just a game, than there is no problem.
Australia -4- Life

i know who you are...
...the leader of my soul...
...you can't kill me...
...im immortal!!!

Offline Demonhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2003, 03:31:23 PM »
1. YES! Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, all those old school fps
2. NO! Not at all. Seriously, I help snakes/turtles across roads, and I think twice before I hit spiders. I'm as non-violent as they come.
3. Unless the kid cannot tell between reality and fantasy, I think violent games are fine. I personally wouldn't let my kid play GTA3 until he could explain to me about right/wrong and that he knew it was just a game. (But i'm not having kids... hey thats another topic)

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2003, 04:53:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Demonhunter
2. NO! Not at all. Seriously, I help snakes/turtles across roads, and I think twice before I hit spiders. I'm as non-violent as they come.

yet your name is demon hunter =P~~~ hehe just poking fun, no violentness owns