Author Topic: PS3 price cut canceled! (effectivly)  (Read 12025 times)

Offline 31 Flavas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
PS3 price cut canceled! (effectivly)
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:32:34 AM »
With a slight edit here, the following quote is pulled from Chris Kohler's Game|Life blog

David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, told GamesIndustry.biz yesterday at E3 that Sony was just going to run down its stock of 60 GB units, then make the new $600, 80 GB, feature-cut model the only one on shelves.
So there you have it. Confirmation that Sony just canceled the PS3 price cut.

Spin that SDF.
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: PS3 price cut canceled! (effectivly)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 12:37:31 AM »
Karion already posted this in here.

And yes it is the ultimate stupid move. Sony wants to fail at gaming.  

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 01:26:12 AM »
I'll post this YouTube video for Sony fans. It was posted by someone else in the forums of the other news website that I frequent.

Rick Astley's 80's hit, "Never going to give you up. Never going to let you down."  
"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 03:14:40 AM »
They also said there won't be any pricecuts for Europe, we'll just get two games and a controller thrown in.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 04:09:49 AM »
What was the joke in the Video?
Great... So if I ever want a PS3 I need to get it.  I do not want an 80 Gig PSGimped.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 04:48:11 AM »
Sony has a long record of assuming consumers are morons. Look at the PSP's buttons and how they would stick.... Sony just said it wasn't a defect and they had meant for it to be that way. They also tried pushing UMD movies as if they were the best thing to come along since sliced bread, but consumers apparently disagreed. Not to mention the SIXAXIS controller, which is the same as past generation PS controllers, but with the new amazing feature of tilt! Wow, Nintendo came up with this 10 years ago for the original gameboy, but Sony spins it off as the greatest innovation in gaming history.

And now they pass off this PS3 feature-cut as a price cut for consumers?! Give me a break... They are just cutting their own production costs to save their own asses.

But then again, I'm not surprised. I've debated with a few diehard Sony supporters, and I couldn't help but feel I was talking to a chimp. They'll undoubtedly swallow this hook, line, and sinker. Same with that Darth Vader PSP.  *shakes head in disgust*  
is your sanity...

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 04:53:23 AM »
So how long until the stock is cleared?

Since the PS3 has been selling like hotcakes, it shouldn't take too long. [sarcasm]
Thanks for listening.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
RE:PS3 price cut canceled! (effectivly)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:23:12 AM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar
So how long until the stock is cleared?

Since the PS3 has been selling like hotcakes, it shouldn't take too long. [sarcasm]

I think it will take less time than we might think, especially if consumers realize what a better deal the 60gb one is than the 80gb one.

I don't plan to get a PS3 anytime soon, and perhaps I never will, but if I did there is a good reason for me to go for the 60gb with the EE chip while it is still out there....
is your sanity...

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
What was the joke in the Video?
Great... So if I ever want a PS3 I need to get it.  I do not want an 80 Gig PSGimped.
Oh come now, you don't see how the chorus could be applied to Sony corporate? Or diehard Sony fans? Not even a little bit?

Sony's never going to give up on us? Never going to let us down? Never going to change plans and desert its customers? Never going to make you cry? Never going to say goodbye? Never going to tell a lie and hurt us?

Sony certainly gave up on the $499 PS3. Isn't this temporary price drop a BIG let down? What about backwards compatibility? Didn't they tell us that was always going to be part of the PS3? Now they've changed course and are only doing partial BC? How can you NOT cry at Sony's actions and behavior of late? Never going to say goodbye? Sony's going to kill the PS3 if they keep acting like asshats. And never going to tell a lie?

Puh-lease, tell me all of this didn't just fly right over you.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:39:06 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks Microsoft should have played this at their press conference??

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 11:02:29 AM »
It's going to take an incredibly long time to clear out the overstock of 650GB units.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
Indeed.

Therefore this price cut will last INDEFINITELY, contrary to the title of this thread.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:22:29 AM »
It's like Sony is trying to fail.  This goes beyond being out-of-touch dopes that screw up that which seems unscrewupable.  This is like sabotage.  If you specifically set out to make your console fail you would do what Sony is doing now.  I admire their ability to make something so unappealing.  Even Nokia is probably laughing at them.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
Sony is more concerned with Blu-ray that they can't see that their Playstation brand is dying as a result.

They're just like Sauron who was so focused on Minas Tirith that they failed to notice an unassuming trio of hobbits bringing the one ring close to its destruction until it was too late.

In this case, I think Microsoft represents Aragorn and Nintendo is Frodo/Sam.... lol.
is your sanity...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:01:46 PM »
Guess what? I bought a PS3 today! No gimped PS3 for me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »
If we are all laughing at Sony, does that give Sony the right to now laugh at you? =3
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
SCEA is saying SCEE is full of whatsit and that the 60GB will still be made. I'm with SCEE on the oppinion that a 20GB difference isn't worth 100$.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
You know things are bad when your own company doesn't know wtf it is doing.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 07:07:02 PM »
boy they must really think people are either rich or incredibly stupid.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Brandogg
It's going to take an incredibly long time to clear out the overstock of 650GB units.

Hmmm, 650 GB units for 499? that's a deal!!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline UERD

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 01:14:53 AM »
Definitely. I can buy PS3s now, take out the drives, OEM them by putting them in custom-branded external hard drive enclosures, and discard the rest of the PS3!
"I'm looking for shrunken heads w/ DVD playback options. I figure I can hang them in my car like dice. Will you help me?"
- thatguy

"Can you shoot out customizable fireballs? Then why should your Mii be able to?"
- vudu

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 02:25:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
You know things are bad when your own company doesn't know wtf it is doing.

Shall I mention some NOA/NOE disagreements like the supposed region-freeness of the Wii?

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 05:29:48 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
SCEA is saying SCEE is full of whatsit and that the 60GB will still be made. I'm with SCEE on the oppinion that a 20GB difference isn't worth 100$.

SCEA isn't denying the halt of production. They're just saying there will be ample supply for the foreseeable future.

But Kaz confirmed the halt.
"wow."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 07:12:14 AM »
Maybe they'd prefer to try to gimp some other big game's launch (like Halo or Smash) this fall/christmas season?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 08:27:43 PM »
Yeah, Kaz reversed the SCEA statement again.

Of course if SCEA was jsut saying "there'll be enough 60GB ones for everyone who want one" then, well, they could probably say the same about the 80GB without even producing it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 08:30:28 PM »
I really would not be surprised if Sony stopped production on the 60gb model. That way they can eliminate the backwards compatibility chip, and focus on creating the 80gb systems.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 08:51:04 PM »
Europe has had a 60 GB system with the EE already removed for quite awhile now, and will continue having it. They're not getting the 80GB system.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:28:50 PM »
We're not getting a pricedrop either, only two crappy games and another sixshake.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 05:39:40 PM »
WHAT?!?!

Let me get this straight:

Basically, Sony is baiting and switching consumers by pretending that they're cheaper then they really are for the second time, AND, they're going to put out a product that is INFERIOR to the one they originally put out and charge the same price for it.

I just read an interview with some dude from Microsoft and he brought up the observation that PS2 made 80% of its sales after it dropped below $200. Sony must have those figures as well and to not actively pursue achieving that number again is completely f*cked.

Enjoy 3rd place Sony.  

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
For the record, the Gamecube made 100% of its sales when it was $200 or less.  Motivational, huh?

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »
In this interview: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/engadget-and-joystiq-interview-kaz-hirai-and-jack-tretton-presid/, Sony keeps saying how the first 8 months of sales aren't as important as the first 8 years and retain the fact that the PS3 has a life of 10 years or something.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
For the record, the Gamecube made 100% of its sales when it was $200 or less.  Motivational, huh?

That statement is only true because the gamecube launched at 199.99.  

I also bought a PS3 today and my order on amazon totaled out to be $537 and change for: PS3, bluetooth remote controller for PS3 (like a DVD remote except its bluetooth)(free), RE:Appocolypse(free), Resistance(60), that stupid thing to transfer PS2 memory card saves onto the PS3(15), signing up for a amazon credit card (-30 on the order) and of course im going to take advantage of the 5 free blu-ray movie rebate offer.

So for 537ish dollars thats not bad at all. I hope that the 60gig PS3 I'm going to get have the Emotion Engine in tact since I don't want to get an emotionless (har har har) PS3.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2007, 08:15:05 PM »
Resistance fall of Man was extremely disappointing, the game had no soul and felt like an extremely linear Halo wannabe, right down the enemy design.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 10:00:01 PM »
Sad to hear you didn't like Resistance GP. Ima gonna go out on a limb... you won't like Killzone 2 either?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 10:01:33 PM »
Depends how it is designed. If it feels as linear and uninspired as Resistance, no. But if it tries to give you a sense of an open world and perhaps adds in some good AI, then I may like it.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2007, 10:09:31 PM »
I saw a video of killzone 2 and my general feeling was this "Wow another shooter . . . yay". It looks great graphically but . . . been there done that comes to mind. I'm not a huge FPS fan though so I shouldn't talk. I just don't see what the appeal is to all those games. They don't seem to advance the genre much at all.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
If Killzone 2 is at least as good as Far Cry, I bet I'll like it.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
If Killzone 2 is at least as good as Far Cry, I bet I'll like it.

So really all Sony would need to do then is get HeXen from N64, slap on Killzone sprites an voila it will be better than Far Cry for Wii. Heck they wouldn't even need to add loading times because it is already there, along with multiplayer!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 05:33:12 AM »
Killzone 1 was an overhyped piece of crap, anyone who thinks KZ2 will suddently turn out as a 95% average rating top-tier game is delusional. Also I thought we had already learned not to trust Killzone trailers?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 05:38:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis

So for 537ish dollars thats not bad at all. I hope that the 60gig PS3 I'm going to get have the Emotion Engine in tact since I don't want to get an emotionless (har har har) PS3.

This is the sort of mental conditioning that that has taken place in California when it comes to gas prices.

"Oh Look!!!! That gas station has regular gas for only $3.12 per gallon, we better stop here and fill up!!!! I wonder why the gas is so cheap here!!"

Its a trick, dont trick yourself into thinking you just got a deal, you just paid too much money for videogame system that plays HD movies. But it is your money....

Atleast you had a choice.... I have to buy gas, regardless of how much they charge for it

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
Yeah . . . it will take a lot more than a limited time price drop and/or some pack in games to make me pick up a PS3.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 11:03:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro
Yeah . . . it will take a lot more than a limited time price drop and/or some pack in games to make me pick up a PS3.

That is why I am FAR FAR better than you and anyone else here!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 06:32:39 PM »
Well Little Big Planet, Echochrome(i think thats what its called), Lair and MGS4 were always tempting. To me stuff like Killzone, War hawk and SOCOM will always be trash.

I do agree Resistance is a little stale since its been there done that with the modified setting and the feel of a WW2-ish shooter but the game play mechanics are nice, its obvious thats its not the best shooter ever but the game is still solid especially for a launch title.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1

This is the sort of mental conditioning that that has taken place in California when it comes to gas prices.

"Oh Look!!!! That gas station has regular gas for only $3.12 per gallon, we better stop here and fill up!!!! I wonder why the gas is so cheap here!!"

Its a trick, dont trick yourself into thinking you just got a deal, you just paid too much money for videogame system that plays HD movies. But it is your money....

Atleast you had a choice.... I have to buy gas, regardless of how much they charge for it

My brother was recently in Indiana and he snapped a picture of the gas prices there, $2.89 a gallon, because of how godawful cheap it was.

But back on topic... will Sony drop the price on the 80GB PS3 down to $500 sometime this fall after all the 60 GBs disappear?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 07:18:12 PM »

Well Little Big Planet, Echochrome(i think thats what its called), Lair and MGS4 were always tempting. To me stuff like Killzone, War hawk and SOCOM will always be trash.

I do agree Resistance is a little stale since its been there done that with the modified setting and the feel of a WW2-ish shooter but the game play mechanics are nice, its obvious thats its not the best shooter ever but the game is still solid especially for a launch title.

Well I agree the game is well polished, my problem is that it is pretty stale. There is nothing that really sets it apart from anything.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 07:18:13 PM »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:58 PM »
Probably not. I can see them doing that eventually, just not so soon.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.