Author Topic: Does anyone collect videogames?  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Does anyone collect videogames?
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:45 PM »
It's my current "hobby" which hopefully won't go down in flames like other past interests in wrestling and anime, among other things.

On the bright side, I bought King of Dragons at a flea market yesterday for $7.

On the horribly awful other side, I continually get my ass kicked on ebay... because f*ck ebay. I just lost a Sega Genesis and 32X (with the boxes and 11 games) by $1 in the last 3 seconds.

It's an expensive past time, but for some reason, I can't keep myself from wanting more. There's something about owning old hardware, a piece of gaming history, that's so enticing. I really don't know what it is.

I just started seriously collecting and I've kicked myself for selling off some old rare titles (Ninja Gaiden Trilogy and Dracula X on SNES are at the very top of that list). What I want to start off with is every version (discounting color variations) of Nintendo and Sega consoles and handhelds, plus major peripherals like the Gameboy Player. I'm considering NeoGeo and 3DO, but I've decided that I don't care for Atari or anything pre-NES. I have a LONG ways to go.....

So, does anyone else collect? What are your collections like? I'm not asking to trade or buy or anything. I just thought I'd share my story and wondered if anyone wanted to share theirs.  

Online Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Does anyone collect videogames?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »
I collect third party games for Nintendo consoles!

YAY.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:13:07 PM »
I too share a love for older technology but I don't have the money to sink into buying all the older systems that I never had.

Probably the "rarest" system I have is the Neo Geo Pocket Color with SNK vs Capcom lol.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
The rarest anything I have is probably Final Fantasy III on SNES with box, manual and everything. I got it 3 for $20 with Super Metroid and A Link to the Past from an old mom and pop video store that was closing down. I would've bought their FFII also, but I rented it before and it froze up in the middle of the game. I also have Chrono Trigger on SNES, but no box or anything.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:15 PM »
I like to collect games for series I like.
Mainly Dead or Alive, Zelda, Sonic, Metroid, King of Fighters (which is quickly turning in to anything that is by SNK), Final Fantasy, F-Zero, Ghost in the Shell and Power Rangers.

I've gone out and imported a couple Dead or Alive games for my collection and I've even purchased one of the CD-i games for my Zelda collection.

I've started collection all the different Video game consoles. I started with Nintendo and I'm only missing the DS Lite and then I have all their systems since the NES (not including JP models). And now I'm working on Sega and NeoGeo systems, after that I'll start working on the more obscure systems the the 3DO and Jaguar.

This is my game collection currently:
http://www.medaverse.com/Cap/gamecollection/

"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Does anyone collect videogames?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:55 PM »
Does buying a ton of games and not playing them count as collecting? If so I guess I do! Though to be serious I do buy old NES games still along with SNES just to have them, not necessarily to play them.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:04:46 AM »
I too collect games, check the link in my signature for a nice breakdown of all the games I own by system, plus a comprehensive list of all the games together. I'm always looking for old games in lots on eBay and buying when I see the best deal. Almost everything I own I've bought at very low prices, but searched for an extremely long time to get it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Does anyone collect videogames?
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 12:41:28 AM »
I regularly buy old games just to own them, but rarely for much money. Eventually I want a "complete" NES-SNES-N64 collection and at this rate it's looking fairly realistic.

I owned a Panesian game at one point, but I sold it on ebay for like a couple hundred bucks.

I also recently bought Zero Wing

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:04:42 PM »
I guess I do. In this thread, photos of really messy shelves.

More Saturn games behind the homosexual anime DVD's. Also MICROCOSM, the game I can't play because the disc is badly scratched but I've kept it anyway.

I'm getting rid of a lot of PS2 games soon though. There's more games in a massive box but I can't be arsed getting that down. Mostly loose carts and stuff. =)  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 05:12:31 PM »
Thats....a ton of games wow.

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »
I uses to have more games in my collection but I got rid of alot of my PS2 and Xbox game around the time the Wii was released, also got rid of a dozen GameCube games as well.

As much as I wanted to keep them as part of my collection I just couldn't justify it when I could trade them all in for store credit at GameStop (exspecailly when they gave me $10 extra credit when I traded in 3 games).
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --