Author Topic: war in iraq  (Read 64213 times)

Offline cubefreak123

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
war in iraq
« on: March 19, 2003, 04:27:49 PM »
I was just wondering (for all usa ppls in here) wat ur views r with the war i dont want this to get locked so let it be friendly. My view is we need to do this.  War is not pretty and its not a good thing but i support da troops and agree with president bush.
A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying darn we really screwed up.

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 04:38:14 PM »
I agree, at first I was anti war.  But now I think it's necessary.  I just can't wait 'till this is all over and done with.

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 05:04:37 PM »
No one wants this.  But, if our President thinks its necessary, then, we need to be behind him

Offline CijaroDSK

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 05:21:07 PM »
Bush: "sustained commitment to Iraq, even after war."

Yeah, so america takes over Iraq and then conveniently opens up shop...this war is a business venture.  Take off your red, white & blue colored goggles and realize that Bush, in the name of america, is commiting a crime here.  If this was, oh lets say...France, who was attacking a country for no good reason, the UN would have stopped them ages ago. Everyone is simply too scared to stop the USA...its a terrible, embarassing situation for the United Nations.

Also, its not only "usa ppls" that care about this war/ bloodbath.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 05:57:08 PM »
The number of people who I've seen, and have approached me at uni about this war just shows how much some people believe peace is the answer.

I don't believe them. Peace is just ignoring the problems.

Iraq has weapons of mass destruction. The USA isn't after oil. They are attacking Iraq because of its links to terrorist organisations. Just because the inspectors haven't found them, doesn't mean they are clean. Saddam Hussein has a sophisticated underground network below Iraq, and he could hide just about anything down there.

As for the moral implications of this war, I think this is inevitable. If Saddam Hussein was left alone, one of his sons would become the King of Iraq, and the problems continue. But the sad thing is that people will die, on both sides. And that is what happens in war. I just hope that they get rid of Saddam this time around.

Offline pimpcube

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 06:21:26 PM »
those anti-peace protestors/supporters whine about nothing. they don't want to close their eyes before the pale truth, that this war is necessary. shifty basically summed it all up with his comments. war is necessary, and is not initiated because of the want for oil.
however, i was talking with my cousins about this situation. so much became clear to me about the american people. look at the protests that go on in the street throughout the country. they all support one thing: anti-war. that is because all the abnormal and influenced people are out there. all the people that support war are sane and hard-working people that stay at home rather than go around marching for war. Now, u might be wondering what i mean by "influenced". (there's a lot to say so bare with me, i mite not put this in any order that may make sense) first, older cousin, who is a freshman in college, told me of his anti-war music teacher. she told the class that they would get 10 extra credit points if any attended an anti-war march. this is obviously illegal and also a cheap attempt at recruiting more anti-war supporters. continuing with this idea, my 13 year old cousin claimed that he was anti-war. he told me of a class from his school that took a couple hours off to go march on the sidewalk for peace during school. again, an illegal and cheap way to recruit more anti-war supporters. we then discussed it very, very briefly. the 13 year old was all for war about 1 minute after claiming he was anti-war, greatly contradicting himself. this, i believe (even though he may be young), models the american public. the american people. eventually, we will all have to support this war and support bush in order to boost morale, but y not support it for the moral reasons going into it, not to mention our own safety (saddam has already threatened attack on america several times).
let's face it, we will all have to sacrifice, and i myself may have to do it too. i am currently 16 (soon to be 17), and may be drafted in the years to come(of course i can avoid the draft because of my academic achievements =]). however, we can not go into this war as a split nation, but rather united as one. war is the answer, we've been waiting for too long. we've waited for 12 years on saddam, and it's about time we did something about him.

Offline 3_MaSteRPIeCE

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2003, 06:47:20 PM »
I'm was anti-war also,  but anti-war people really need to realize that they are lucky to live in the us.  Now i don't know where my stance is. Everything is just too ugly.

Here we have highschoolers turning their backs to the american flag. i mean.. cmon in china they publicly behead you for doing that and put your family's name to shame.  yes it's true we take things for granted.  I'm not anti-war or anti-peace.  Both sides are both bad.  the world has no unity and love anymore.  Even the anti-war people.  Everyone is always fighting,  but i think it is also healthy cause good always comes out from the bad.

plus,  isn't this a political thread? cause there aren't any allowed since they usually get nasty.
Money for war but not enough to feed the poor - TuPac

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
war in iraq
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 07:05:45 PM »
I've decided I'm buying Conflict: Desert Storm for GameCube when it comes out.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline yrrab436

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 07:08:01 PM »
Yep, this is a political thread.  I think it's scary how people blindly believe the powers that be.  

I think France is very courageous for standing up to US imperialism.  Some countries see the dark path the US is taking and they should be praised for standing up to a horrid, lying, aggressive state.  Edit:  Okay, so maybe that's a bit much.  Still, the US habitually lies.

Hmm, when does the war start?  When Iraq starts to cooperate better?  I think Bushy was afraid of losing ANY "legitimate" reason to attack.  Yes, Saddam needs to be removed.  This isn’t' a mission of good will though.  It's an invasion, and no one can deny that.  France and the others tried to stop it, but the US seems to think it's above everyone else.

I hope we don't become like Germany was for the first half of the 20th century.  Remember, Nazis were patriotic too.  All this talk about boycotting French stuff and the Dixie chicks is warning signs of a slow drift into a state of fascism.  

I agree with the Dixie Chicks.  I'm ashamed to be an American right now.  I'm ashamed of the blind faith people give this government.  We're blissfully tossing our freedom away, and it sickens me.  I wouldn't have started such a thread, but you bet I'm going to post about it if the subject already exists.  This is a very dark time in the history of the USA, when we toss away great progress made over the last few decades.  I'm afraid ludicrous stuff like "Patriot II" is just the tip of the iceberg.  People are so stupid, blindly believing every bit of propaganda thrown about.  A bunch of stupid puppets, with George W. holding the strings.  I'm very ashamed of the American people.

This is a test.  America needs to prove its innocense to the rest of the world after the inevitable victory.  I sincerely hope we do.

After Iraq, I have to ask:  Who's next?  Do we have to launch preemptive strikes on all other countries to protect our security?

Edit:
Note that Iraq isn't the only country developing such weapons.  I acknowledge that Saddam's regime is horrid, but you have to always be questioning!  Why is it that the oil fields are the first on the list for the reconstruction of Iraq?  Not hospitals.  Not schools.  OIL FIELDS

Edit2:
I'm very vehement, but that doesn't mean I don't respect other people.  Yes, I think the public is being lied to and mislead, but that doesn't mean I have any enmity towards such people.  I know my post will be offensive to many, but that's just the way it goes.  I'm sure this is why this kind of topic is off limits.  

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2003, 07:36:37 PM »
First of all I think Bush is an idiot / I hate him / think & know he is ruining the economy BUT that said I support the war. I always have. Saddam Hussein is a madman who needs to be taken out sooner or later. As it is now our troops will probably be gassed or biowar assaulted sometime in this campaign. BUT better now then latter when Saddam has even more weapons of mass destruction to hit us with. As for why I support the war: 1.) Saddam is a madman who is kills his people. 2.) Saddam is madman who will try to kill us sooner or later. 3.) The Iraqi people don't support Saddam. In Gulf War 1, EVEN his troops surrendered en masse in the hundreds of thousands. They don't even support Saddam.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2003, 07:45:49 PM »
The United States once again proves it is the real tyrant in the world. Not Saddam Hussein.
The United States is helping Iraq get rid of their repressive dictator. Maybe one day they'll get rid of their own - the rich white male.
The United States is ignoring the world body in the U.N. look what happen last time countries began circumventing the world body (the League of Nations)... World War II. You say it is neccessary, how come all of of a sudden, they've had 12 years, 5 since weapons inspections stopped. If it is neccessary how come a mere 3 countries are behind it? I'm proud to live in a country where the government has taken a stance against U.S. terrorist acts against the Iraqi people.

NO WAR

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
war in iraq
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 10:13:20 PM »
France, Germany, and Russia have oil contracts with Iraq's current regime.  Iraq still has massive unpaid debts to France, so there's much for France to lose if the current Iraqi government is overthrown.  Additionally, France is on a mission to regain world power & influence that it hasn't had for a long time.  Creating this wall of opposition to U.S. actions is the first step France is taking to break up the monopoly of influence the U.S. has been comfortable with for some time, arguably.

Then you can wonder what the U.N. planned to do if they finally put their foot down and said Iraq has violated res.1441.  They've been quite soft in the enforcement sense as of late.  Or you can wonder how long weapons inspections would go on if George Dubbaya kept his mouth shut, and would Iraq would ever fully comply considering their "one hand behind their back" style of compliance.  "U.S. to U.N.: Let's goto war next week!; Iraq to U.N.: Oh, look! Here's some Al Samoud missiles we forgot to mention 9 months ago........."  next week, "Oh, look!  Here's a nice book report on our VX gas, but unfortunately we can't prove how we discarded it..."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline cubefreak123

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2003, 03:38:19 AM »
THis war has nothing to do with oil.  its because all of these anit war wackos all think that. Yhe reason we r in war is to remove sudaam from iraq period the citizens of iraq r mostly with us.  once we remove sudaam and his little companion dudes we will be in control of iraq until they r all setup
A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying darn we really screwed up.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2003, 08:43:57 AM »
Yes this is a political thread, but since it's topical and very relevant to countries around the world, I'm going to let this stay open as long as you all remain CIVIL and RESPECTFUL.  Have I made myself clear?  Good.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2003, 09:07:58 AM »
To think that the US is doing this for oil is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard.
The eyes of the world will be watching the aftermath of this so closely that it wont even be funny. Do you really think they would just let the Americans start pumping Iraqie oil back home?
get real.

Not 1 doller of Iraqie oil will leave Iraq. The money generated from the oil will be used to rebuild a country, not one devestated by war, but one that has been devasted by its onw leader for nearly 25 years.

Iraq under Saddam has been a country that has repeatedly lied the UN, and for decades have dodged the penalties. Iraq undoubtedly has biological and chemical weapons, and if history is any indication they will no doubt use them sooner than later.

Has the US been a little gung ho, sure they have, but then again they had people fly their own passenger aircraft into buildings full of civilians, and therefore have a right to be a little more aggresive when dealing with percieved threats. Many people during the clinton admin didnt believe that Al Quida was a legitimate threat on American soil. It appears they were a little wrong on that one. Now the same people are saying that Iraq poses no real threat to Americans. I cant blame the bush admin for saying we wont take that chance again.

Sure it is great for France to prance around on its high horse, it has not felt the sting of Terrorism the way the US recently has.

To think that Bush is a bigger threat than Saddam is so far from the truth.
Get the facts, sing the oil for blood song without fully knowing the facts is both iggnorant and dangerous.

By the way I am a canadian who is embarresed by my countries lack of support in this matter.

God bless the troops in the middle east, come home safe.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Munky

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2003, 10:07:44 AM »
I'm 100% antiwar. So personally, I'm sick of the news coverage of it on all stations here, and interupting my tv! So I've spent a lot of time playin' Xbox and Cube. But really, I do think Saddam needs to be taken out.
The memory of a lost loved one remains with you always, but it's a wound that time heals. It's like a scar....it never really disappears, time just soothes the memory.

ChaoticMunky.com

Offline highenergyboy

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2003, 10:09:27 AM »
Let us not forget that the same "courageous" France some you are praising for opposing U.S. policy with dealing with Iraq are also the ones who knowingly helped Saddam in his efforts to gain nuclear capability by suppling Iraq with a nuclear reactor and helping to build a facility to house it. If it was not for the Israelis realizing the implications of such a facility, launching a surprise raid on it under everyone elses nose (including the U.S.) and destroying it before becoming operational that madman would have had nukes by the Gulf War. It is bad enough that that tyrant has mustard gas, VX nerve agents and syrin. Just imagine if one of those SCUDs that hit Israel in the Gulf War was carrying a nuclear warhead.
And if you ask me the U.N. has demonstrated these last few months that it clearly remains incapable of backing its own resolutions with force. Resolution 1441, passed months ago clearly stated that if Iraq did not disarm they would face "serious consequences". Right there is where the U.N. authorized force to be taken, and if they did not intend for it to be interpreted that way then what was their definition of serious consequences? A slap on the wrist and a promise not to do it again? I would not be surprised...
It was not U.S. diplomacy that failed here in averting a war. It was the U.N. failing miserably to show some backbone by threatening Saddam with force to get him to voluntarily disarm. The U.S. could have easily provided such force. Now unfortunely it has to be done the hard way with a lot of brute force. All I see in the U.N. now is another powerless League of Nations that should be disolved and replaced with a new global defense organization that will take action when absolutely necessary instead of procrastinating and being gullible fools like those in the current U.N. who eat up everything that pawn of Saddam's tells them.
I would have no problem joining the army if the call went out for more people. Call it a draft if you want, but I would see it as nothing more then an urgent plea by my country for help. This is directed to those who would dare say that I blindly support the war because I am not in the front lines right now bunkered down in a gas suit fearful of chemical attacks. Watch what you say because it may just come to that if regimes like those in Iraq and North Korea keep rearing their ugly heads.    

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2003, 10:49:17 AM »
great post, very well said.
People really need to use their heads here and stop protesting for the sake of protesting.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2003, 12:49:52 PM »
I believe that this could have been resolved peacefully. I do believe Saddam is a horrible person and should be removed, but I think we rushed into war. I don't think Bush expended his diplomatic powers before resorting to military action. I think he pushed a little too hard for military action, especially making an unfounded connection to terrorism, using the fears of the people in an inappropriate manner, IMO. I just find it odd to end inspections before they find anything.

I believe one of the great things about this democracy we call America is that we can freely express our opinions, even if they oppose our leaders or the common beliefs. I'm proud to live in the United States.

And a comment to Highenergyboy, may I remind you that we once supported Saddam Hussein. I believe in 1982 the quote was "the U.S. will do whatever is necessary and legal" to keep Iraq from losing a war with Iran.

I question how we entered this war under the belief that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, but last night Bush said we will find Iraq's "weapons of mass murder". Big difference.

I support the troops and hope this ends soon for their sake, but I do not approve of why they're there.

P.S. This is a tremendously better discussion than the debate I have going with my friend.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline cubefreak123

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2003, 01:06:10 PM »
gamer donkey here me out. Ok we have given suddam a looooonnnnggggggg time to disarm about 12 years and every time he said he was gonna he has not disarmed so finally we have had enough we are not after the ppl or anyone else we r after suddam and his little minions once we take them out in iraq like i said earlier our troops r out of there we dont want oil we dont want to kill we have to take him out for the safety of the us and the rest of the world. once we take him out we will help iraq rebuild itself into a free nation thats all we r doing.  ps.  rick thanks for keeping this open

Offline pimpcube

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2003, 01:27:32 PM »

I'm 100% antiwar. So personally, I'm sick of the news coverage of it on all stations here, and interupting my tv! So I've spent a lot of time playin' Xbox and Cube. But really, I do think Saddam needs to be taken out.

thank u for proving how absolutely mindless the american public is. america is more worried about "american idol" than the serious situation at hand. 100% antiwar and u think saddam needs to be taken out?? how do u propose we do that, sit around with our thumbs up our asses all day like almost every country within the UN?? saddam is never going to cooperate, and yes, i think bush made the right decision about going to war. the u.s. has been patient for too long, and the UN is not patient, but rather full of crap, especially france. its sad that when other countries call for our help, the u.s. comes to the rescue, yet, when it is our turn, our time of "need", these countries turn their backs on us. by "need" i mean we don't need any physical help, but rather support by the whole world. everyone seems so urgent and quick to make the u.s. look like a terrorist, a hungry animal looking to gobble up anything, an imperialistic whore that's willing to take over the world. what we really are doing is liberating the iraqi people. almost every iraqi person has a family member that they lost to saddam. action needs to be taken, and the time is now.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2003, 01:27:45 PM »
personally i hope this is over fast
but i know it will not be like that
saddam is just one of those stubborn type of people who will not move away from their views- no matter what the cost
i was personally pro-war the whole time and i knew this would go to it, but i do want it over fast
i like how bush says he is commited to iraq even after war
unfortunately not all countries are with us on this one, and even we are viewed as the evil ones........
just as thecubedcanuck says- god bless those troops
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2003, 01:40:46 PM »
I'm not saying Hussein shouldn't be removed, I just think it could have been done peacefully. Or at least wait for something to be found so we have more international support. For the record I've never believed its for the oil (though it is odd that the company chosen to rebuild the oil fields is the one Cheney used to work at), its not practical to spend billions on a war just for oil.

I'm severely saddened that the Dixie Chicks were shunned for expressing their opinion in a country as great as ours. Even though the comment was rather harsh, I don't think Bush should be immune to criticism just because he is in office.  Though that has little relevance to this discussion, I think it applies somehow. It more shows that some people are being rather hypocritical about our nation and the rights we have.

And may I add to Pimpcube, we are a member of the UN. As a matter of fact we helped organize it.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
war in iraq
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2003, 03:02:17 PM »
I'm not saying Hussein shouldn't be removed, I just think it could have been done peacefully.

When was the last time you saw a dictator removed from power "peacefully"?  Sorry, just doesn't happen, not in this world.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

war in iraq
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2003, 03:13:24 PM »
One of my biggest issues with this whole ordeal is that while our attention is diverted to the war, Bush is using this as an opportunity to try to get all the bills passed that he knows the majority of the public are against.  He is also using the war as an excuse to destroy protected land and wild-life reserves by drilling for oil, and clearing protected forrests.

The country is not supposed to support whatever decision the President makes.  That would make our government a dictatorship.  The president is supposed to represent us, and meet the demands of the public, not the other way around!  Don't take this offensively but I can't believe some people make statements such as "I support whatever decision the President makes."  You're not supposed too!  It is your right as a citizen of the United States to voice your opinion, and say when you think something is wrong!

In reference to the Dixie Chics remark:  More power to them.  They are U.S. citizens who have every right to voice their opinion.  The people who decided to boycott them should feel ashamed for they are disgracing our nation.   They are boycotting someone for exercising their right to freedom of speech.  These people are practically giving up their guarenteed rights.  Granted these people have a right to an opinion, but so do those singers.
it was time for a change.