Author Topic: Pi  (Read 6656 times)

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Pi
« on: March 19, 2003, 03:34:41 PM »
While downloading movies yesterday I stumbled across this gem. Made by Darren Aronofsky, who also made Requiem for a Dream. This is an extremely low budget movie, but none the less a great movie. Anyone else seen this movie?

Offline rpglover

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Pi
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 03:51:18 PM »
i cant believe someone else saw that movie
although i thought requiem was far better, pi was an excellent flick
i got it on dvd with requiem- both very good movies

now i know this has nothing to do with pi but
have you seen best in show
i thought that was one of the best comedies i ever saw
a lot of people have not seen that one either (nor spinal tap or waiting for guffman)
just wondering  
i call the big one bitey.

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2003, 05:13:15 PM »
I have both requiem and pi on dvd, they came in a 2 pack at best buy for 12 bux
WIND WAKER=MASTERPIECE!!!

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
Pi
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2003, 08:01:54 PM »
both excellent movies.  have seen both on dvd.  not sure which one freaked me out more...

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 08:04:07 PM »
Never saw the movie, but I thought I'd tell ya that the formula f(x) = sin(180/x)x approaches pi.  Figured that out.  Too bad my calculator has a limited number of digits...  also, make sure your calculator is set to degrees instead of radians if you want to calculate it.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2003, 08:32:10 PM »
pi, great flick. amazing what you can do with $40,000.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
    • View Profile
Pi
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2003, 09:07:49 AM »
I saw Best in Show.  That movie was great.  One of the best satires, along with To Die For.

I was watching the American Kennel Club Show on TV a few weeks ago, and I could imagine some of those people being like the ones in the movie.  I must've seen it like 10 times.  It's hilarious.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline enigma487

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 10:03:32 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
but I thought I'd tell ya that the formula f(x) = sin(180/x)x approaches pi.  Figured that out.

what are you on??  you made the brilliand deduction that sin(Pi/x)x approaches Pi??  Holy sh!t you're a genius.  how long did you play with your graphing calculator to figure that one out?  and you should really signify where it approaches Pi.  is it at 0, or 2, or Pi, or infinity??  What's the derivative of that function smart guy?

Edit:  Sorry.  A little out of line there...

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 10:40:12 AM »
First, the movie - it's great.  Saw it about 4 years ago in college, and watched it 5 times before I had to return it to the video store.  

Now, for some math, starting with a mathematical proof:

1 - As x -> infinity, x*sin(180/x) = Pi  (hypothesis)
2 - As z -> 0, sin(z) = z.  (theorem)
3 - sin(180/x) = 180/x  (from 2)
4 - x*(180/x) = Pi  (rewrite of 1)
5 - 180 = Pi  (rewrite of 4)
5 - 180 degrees = Pi radians  (fact)
6 - x*sin(180/x) = Pi  (conclusion)
QED.

Not much to it, when you break it down, but it hinges on the knowledge that as z->0, sin(z) = z.

For something to really get your noodle going, try this formula:

e^(i*Pi) = 1

where i = sqrt(-1).
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Pi
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 04:28:40 PM »

Originally posted by: enigma487

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
but I thought I'd tell ya that the formula f(x) = sin(180/x)x approaches pi.  Figured that out.

what are you on??  you made the brilliand deduction that sin(Pi/x)x approaches Pi??  Holy sh!t you're a genius.  how long did you play with your graphing calculator to figure that one out?  and you should really signify where it approaches Pi.  is it at 0, or 2, or Pi, or infinity??  What's the derivative of that function smart guy?

Edit:  Sorry.  A little out of line there...

Your right, it was a little out of line.
I think he means pi is an asymtope.  I don't know I don't have a graphing calculator and I don't feel like thinking.

it was time for a change.

Offline enigma487

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 06:30:31 PM »
i so don't want to get into this on a Nintendo based forum.  i already feel like an uber-geek around here.  but this:

Quote::

1 - As x -> infinity, x*sin(180/x) = Pi (hypothesis)
2 - As z -> 0, sin(z) = z. (theorem)
3 - sin(180/x) = 180/x (from 2)
4 - x*(180/x) = Pi (rewrite of 1)
5 - 180 = Pi (rewrite of 4)
5 - 180 degrees = Pi radians (fact)
6 - x*sin(180/x) = Pi (conclusion)
QED.
::End Quote

is a pretty piss poor attempt at a mathematical proof.  first off all, lines 2 and 3 are absolutely useless.  just pulling that out of no where.  yes, 5 is a rewrite of 4, but no friggin way is 4 a re-write of 1.  and you jump from a fact in 5 (your second 5!) to some conclusion with absolutely not justification of where it came from.  But i see you used the magical QED which most know as the infamous proof by illeligibility.

and yes Marcus Arillius that's exactly what Pi is in his equation.  a Horizontal Asymptote.  now lets drop this before i puts someone elses a$$ in tote.

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 07:40:54 PM »

Originally posted by: enigma487
i so don't want to get into this on a Nintendo based forum.  i already feel like an uber-geek around here.  but this:

Quote::

1 - As x -> infinity, x*sin(180/x) = Pi (hypothesis)
2 - As z -> 0, sin(z) = z. (theorem)
3 - sin(180/x) = 180/x (from 2)
4 - x*(180/x) = Pi (rewrite of 1)
5 - 180 = Pi (rewrite of 4)
5 - 180 degrees = Pi radians (fact)
6 - x*sin(180/x) = Pi (conclusion)
QED.
::End Quote

is a pretty piss poor attempt at a mathematical proof.  first off all, lines 2 and 3 are absolutely useless.  just pulling that out of no where.  yes, 5 is a rewrite of 4, but no friggin way is 4 a re-write of 1.  and you jump from a fact in 5 (your second 5!) to some conclusion with absolutely not justification of where it came from.  But i see you used the magical QED which most know as the infamous proof by illeligibility.

Have you ever read a mathematical proof?  That's the format that's used.  Each line explicitly states where it comes from, how it's used, and is numbered.  Sorry that I screwed up my numbering, but get a grip!  And QED stands for "Quad Erat Demonstratum", which roughly translates to "...as I was trying to prove" and is also the standard format used in a mathematical proof.  

Please try to keep conversation civilized.  There's no need to resort to insults or threats (both of which you have used in this thread) which only serve to distract from your messages.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2003, 09:17:54 PM »
"what are you on?? you made the brilliand deduction that sin(Pi/x)x approaches Pi?? Holy sh!t you're a genius. how long did you play with your graphing calculator to figure that one out? and you should really signify where it approaches Pi. is it at 0, or 2, or Pi, or infinity?? What's the derivative of that function smart guy?"

Eh, was that sarcasm?  I did figure that out, regardless of whether I was the first or not (I never saw an equation like that anywhere else).  I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Anyway.. woo, math!

the formula is actually a simplified version of f(x) = sin(360/x/2)2x/2.  It gives the perimeter of a regular polygon with x sides.  I imagined triangles reaching out to each side from a central point, so that there are x triangles.  Then, you divide 360 by x to get the  angle of each of those congruent triangles nearest to the center... find the sine of that and double it to get the length of each side, multiply that by x to get the perimeter, and divide by 2 to get pi (2 is the diameter - for simplicity's sake, I have assumed a radius of 1)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Pi
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2003, 11:36:50 PM »
Haha. I've heard of this movie.

Every time i think of Pi, I think back to the Simpsons episode where young three and three-eighths year old Lisa is taken to a school for the gifted. See those two girls clapping hands?
Listen to what they say....
hahaha! talk about gifted.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2003, 04:51:42 AM »
GoldShadow, you've actually made quite a leap from your geometrical analysis to one of limits, which usually isn't covered until early Calculus.

You found the formula for the circumference of a shape with an arbitrary number of sides, which is pure geometry.  But think about what happens as you get more and more sides to a shape - think of a square, then a pentagon, then a dodecagon (10 sided).  As you add more sides you get more and more circular in appearance.  It would then stand to reason that, with an infinite number of sides, you would have a circle (well, very very close to one).  And what's the perimeter/circumference of a circle with radius 1?  2Pi.  

For more information, look here

Let this be a lesson to you all - Math is beautiful.  And for those of you who have watched Pi, how about the Golden Spiral?  Man, that's something to mess with your head.  For anybody else who's interested, do a google search for "Golden Ratio" or "Golden Spiral".  I'd link to some, but most of them have waaaay too much math for most people to take.

Another lesson to learn is that I'm a geek and don't have Zelda yet, so I have time to talk about math

Offline enigma487

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2003, 09:00:29 AM »
no time to talk about math.  i have Zelda, and skipped Calc class to play...

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Pi
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2003, 12:40:33 PM »
yes. why are you even wanting to go into the mathematical points and formulae of Pi?
This Gamecube Forums. Time for fun, not school.
Bah.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
Pi
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 08:51:29 AM »
"You found the formula for the circumference of a shape with an arbitrary number of sides, which is pure geometry."

Sorry, yes, you are correct.  Essentially, it gives the circumference divided by the diameter for a a regular polygon with a given number of sides.  Assuming a circle is essentially a regular polygon with an infinite number of sides, than that formula approaches pi.