Author Topic: Anime  (Read 120095 times)

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Anime
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2007, 01:58:23 AM »
Has anyone been surprisingly upset because they were watching anime and it ended too soon?  I watched Haibane Renmei and LOVED it.  It had this whole mystery vibe to it, every episode seemed to pose a question and the next episode answered it with another.   I enjoyed it up to episode 12 when everything started resolving itself and then episode 13 resolved everything and ended the series.  I thought there were going to be at least double the # of episodes....

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE:Anime
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2007, 01:35:44 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
MOAR DRAMA! MAEK EMO!
if you want drama, the best BY FAR is Soukyuu no Fafner: Right of Left (the Fafner OVA)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2007, 09:24:12 PM »
Lord, no! There's already too much drama in other series.

Has anyone been surprisingly upset because they were watching anime and it ended too soon?

Yep. Hellsing for one but there were others. I think the Mai Hime pacing was kinda annoying where the "phase 2 entry"* was pretty much started and ended in 1-2 episodes and the ending wrapped up just as quickly while other scenes took much longer to play out.

*= That's what I call when an anime switches from hero vs. monster to hero vs. hero-like, e.g. Bleach going from fighting Hollows to Shinigami.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2007, 05:56:11 AM »
I really like the pacing of Bleach.  I really have very little issues with the series and the video games for that matter.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2007, 06:02:39 AM »

Originally posted by: darkheart
I really like the pacing of Bleach.  I really have very little issues with the series and the video games for that matter.

You must have never played the first Bleach game on GC then

(horrible game)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2007, 07:21:22 AM »
Bleach GC: A small step above Battle Raper.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Originally posted by: darkheart

You must have never played the first Bleach game on GC then

(horrible game)

True I didnt even watch bleach until earlier this year.  My fav Bleach games are the 2 Ds games, and from what I hear the Wii game is pretty shallow but I will probably get that one as well.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2007, 08:09:24 AM »
Ah, yeah the 2D ones are supposed to be very good, I plan to get them soon =)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
The 3 greatest anime's ever in order of awesomeness:

1.  FLCL
Six episodes of amazing animation, deep story and great dialog that you'll have to watch over and over to understand everything.  Scene's that throw you back and you'll remember forever.  I can't explain how well some lines are delivered in timing with the scene and music.  Lots of great comedy too, however,  It's pretty weird show though so if your not into that, skip to number 2.

2.  Outlaw Star
26 episodes of great animation, deep story in a more traditional action oriented anime.  Just great action and style that makes you feel cool and confident after watching.  Some great scene's too that'll give you goosebumps.  

3.  Blue Submarine No. 6
Beautiful story, original animation style and again more amazing scenes.  You'll love this too.

Don't hesitate to checkout all of these animes.  They all rock!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2007, 05:22:41 AM »
On the subject of animes that ended too early:
Zombie Loan. WTF? That final boss dude would barely qualify as a midboss!

Oh and of course the artificial girl dies. Robot/golem/AI/whatever girls tend to die so often in the final scenes of a story, a real robot/golem/AI/whatever girl would probably become as depressed as Marvin just from watching all the stories that proclaim she'll die dramatically during the story.

Offline Purple_Beard

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »
Hmmm

I like Ghost in the Shell movies and have Stand Alone Complex Seasons 1 and 2 ( + the movie aka SAC vol 3).

I love Ninja Scroll and Ninja Resurection BUT the Ninja Scroll sereis was subpar

Golgo 13 movies were awesome.

My brother ahs gotten me into enjoying Avatar, Cowboy BeeBop, Samurai 7 ( anime retelling of Akira Kurosawas(sp?) Seven Samurai), and Full Metal Alchemist.
For Wii online holla at ya boy here:
Wii # 5588-4014-4197-6180

I have a DS as well
w/ MKDS, DKRDS, Tetris DS, and Clubhouse Games....have NO idea what my codes are for those *sigh*

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2007, 07:13:57 PM »
This upcoming season of anime is probably my most anticipated ever...

Shakugan no Shana II
Kodomo no Jikan (the OVA was great, and Sugita Tomokazu has a lead role!) (If you have no idea who I'm talking about, he's the VA for Kyon in Suzumiya Haruhi, Gintoki in Gintama, Yuuichi in Kanon, etc...Massive Tomokazu fanboy here... =3)
Clannad

Not to mention that Zero no Tsukaima II and Hayate no Gotoku are still going on (Did I mention I'm a Rie Kugimiya fanboy too?  =3)...And I'm busy enough as it is!  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Re: Anime
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »
Ok, time to resurrect this thread, I need new anime to watch!!

As of now I'm only watching Gundam 00 what else is out there in the actioin line of anime?? I haven't seen anything good in a while.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »
Action Anime?  Try watching Outlaw Star. That is a good show.

If you wanna branch off and watch some weird stuff, here's my favorites.

1. FLCL

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion

3. Blue Sub No. 6
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2008, 08:08:32 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of just how many series I'm watching right now (hint: too many)...

There really isn't all that much in terms of "original action" this season, and by "original" I mean series that aren't sequels (Shakugan no Shana Second and Gunslinger Girl ~Il Teatrino~)...There is Mnemosyne which is a action/suspense mix (first episode of six out), but that's really about it from what I watch...Maybe someone will know of any action series I managed to miss...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »
Lately, I've been watching CLAMP's xxxHolic. I was curious so I decided to download a few episodes and I've been enjoying it.

What I like so much about it is that even though it deals with the dark and paranormal it never takes itself seriously, although I suspect that midway through the series the writers will introduce a very dark arc, much like they did with Chobits.

Speaking of Chobits, Watanuki is pretty much the nerdy version of Hideki, right down to his exaggerated reactions. I LOVE Yuuko the witch, so cool yet so manipulative and mysterious. Doumeki is also a cool character. I just love how he is perhaps the smartest and most capable character in the series yet is so calm and collected.

12 episodes in and I am still enjoying it. I hope the season ends properly and leads to a good second season.

Oh yeah, I also tried watching Tsubasa Chronicle but once I hit episode 7 I knew what was going to happen for the next 40+ episodes, so I stopped.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
What I like so much about it is that even though it deals with the dark and paranormal it never takes itself seriously, although I suspect that midway through the series the writers will introduce a very dark arc, much like they did with Chobits.

I don't believe it ever got into the REALLY deep stuff that is in the manga, but there should be some so-called "dark" chapters on the horizon for you from what I recall...

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2008, 12:31:55 AM »
Ok, time to resurrect this thread, I need new anime to watch!!

As of now I'm only watching Gundam 00 what else is out there in the actioin line of anime?? I haven't seen anything good in a while.
nothing, Gundam 00 is too awesome to be sharing this season/your anime watching time with other **** 8)

Once it ends (just 4 eps now), feel free to watch Gundam SEED (great, but as of now I'm liking 00 a lot more), well, anything Gundam really (except G or G-Saviour... ugh...), Mai HiME (awesomeness, anime of the forever... its sequel, Mai Otome is trainwreck of the forever), Darker than BLACK (Heroes like, but different.. ending is kinda meh, but really really great series overall), Zegapain (winner of best ignored series of the Haruhi season... very dramatic though), Eureka seveN (the "surfer mechas" are somewhat off-putting... looking past that, awesome), Haruhi Suzumiya no Yuutsu (Mikuru Beamuu! not really acting, you have to watch it regardless), and more...

I do need to watch more series though, I just watched one per season for the last 3... also, Tsubasa Chronicles is kinda boring, but does have some of the best episodes ever (and its OST is incredible... <3 Kajiura Yuki). Pap, you'll have to at least read its manga, if you intend to fully comprehend xxxHolic... (or maybe not, as the anime probably diverted a lot from the manga, as TRC did)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2008, 02:55:06 AM »
Bamboo Blade is awesome.

Rosario + Vampire and Rental Magica are kinda "B" series to me right now, watchable but nothing important.

D.Gray-Man is nice provided you don't mind the JUMP-ness of it.

They Are My Noble Masters is decent too.

BTW, I heard Gundam Seed is horrible and a disgrace to the Gundam name...

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2008, 08:06:23 AM »
Gundam Seed was O.K, it was Gundam Seed Destiny that was a total disgrace to the Gundam name, that was complete and utter crap.

I agree with KDR that Rosario and Rental Magica are "B" series which is why I don't watch them.
Tsubasa Chronicles I got tired of real quick.

From what was suggested I'm going to try: Mnemosyne, xxxHolic, which I've been meaning to watch and never did so thanks for the reminder, and Bamboo Blade.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2008, 02:51:20 AM »
How bad Is Gundam SEED destiny? Is it as bad as the disconnect between the awesome Mezzo Forte and MEZZO DSA? I really enjoyed Gundam SEED.

As for other Gundam series NOT to watch. Gundam Wing and V - Gundam. Wing was some kind of weird crossover between weaslting and DBZ in Mecha format. V Gundam was just plain bad. Awful plot and charaters in a universe that makes no sense. It also features one of the most phallic super weapons ever in a Gundam series.

Slayers is a must watch if you like a good laugh and got a geek bone in your body.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2008, 09:27:29 PM »
Have any of you seen One Piece? Not the god aweful 4-Kids version, but the original, or even now the Funimation dub of it. It's the greatest adventure story ever. Well as far as im concerned.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2008, 12:10:19 AM »
I read the manga, which is more than good enough for me! (And yes, it is one of the best adventures ever...)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
I think the highest praise I can give One Piece is that I was able to enjoy watching it in spite of everything 4kids did to ruin it (although I did give up for a few weeks and apparently missed some key episodes).  The Funimation dub is much better.  I think the only complaint I can muster for Funimation these days is that they overuse Christopher Sabat's voices.

As for other Gundam series NOT to watch. Gundam Wing and V - Gundam. Wing was some kind of weird crossover between weaslting and DBZ in Mecha format.

Are you sure you're talking about Gundam Wing?  If "weaslting" was supposed to be "wrestling," then it would sound a lot like G Gundam.  Gundam Wing was the 5-man band version of Gundam.  I like it, even though it sometimes seems to be aimed at girls.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »
New season incoming in less than two weeks!  There seems to be enough variety to satisfy viewers, particularly sci-fi fans with stuff like Blassreiter and Macross Frontier...

I'm personally looking forward to:
Kanokon
Wagaya no Oinari-sama
xxxHOLic Kei
Kamen no Maid Guy
To Love-Ru (as this season's B-series, because I find the manga rather amusing...)

And of course I'll do a quick run-through of everything to see if there is anything else of high quality...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:14:00 AM by Bill Aurion »