Author Topic: Third Party Support Hurting Wii?  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Third Party Support Hurting Wii?
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane Right now despite sales third parties seem to be putting their A material on the PS3 and Xbox 360, usually with the games starting off on the PS3 and getting ported.  What if the Wii continues to sell remarkably well but the userbase is mostly non-gamers?

The thing is, this "A material" was largely announced for the PS3 prior to the infamous Sony press conference.

And the "non-gamer vs. gamer" argument is irrelevant.

Like I said earlier, did devs avoid the PS2 because its biggest selling feature was DVD playback? When it had the highest sales, it got the best 3rd party support.

Did Konami not release games like Castlevania and Lunar Knights on the DS because of its aim toward non-gamers?

When the Wii achieves the highest userbase, 3rd parties will be FORCED to put their best teams to task on Wii titles because it's where the most money will be.

Also, a lot of titles coming out for the 360/PS3 now had been in development LONG before the Wii took the world by storm. Seeing those titles released is no surprise as these devs need to make their money back on the time they spent developing, but after that, don't be surprised if these teams head to the Wii next.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Acefondu

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
Now I used to believe that installed user base was the big thing for a console to achieve. But then I look at developers and some of the strange things they do...

Like Capcom making all those Cube games geared toward PS2/Xbox players.

Or Namco putting Baten Kaitos on a system void of RPGs.

So, in some instances user base means very little...or everything. Developers are weird let's leave it there.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 08:21:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Acefondu
Now I used to believe that installed user base was the big thing for a console to achieve. But then I look at developers and some of the strange things they do...

Like Capcom making all those Cube games geared toward PS2/Xbox players.

So, in some instances user base means very little...or everything. Developers are weird let's leave it there.

Its true that developers have made weird decisions like that (like how Capcom went port crazy on the PSP whole ignoring the DS), but its hard to deny that around 85 to 90% of developers always go to the console with the highest user base.  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 08:44:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Acefondu Like Capcom making all those Cube games geared toward PS2/Xbox players.

I think just 1 of the Capcom 5 stayed exclusive to the GC, though.

And Kaitos was a joint venture between Namdai and Nintendo, I thought...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »
Yeah it was a joint venture. They were supposed to supply Nintendo with 2 RPG's. Never the less the deal was made, I ask why, lol. Business moves from hell.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
RE: Third Party Support Hurting Wii?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:28 AM »
I think they were tossing Nintendo a bone, honestly.

As a 3rd party, it's never a good idea to burn any bridges, and there's no better example of that than the GC vs. the Wii.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 09:25:24 AM »
Too true sir.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 09:27:01 AM »
Admittedly, though, there are cases where one game type will sell better on the non-market leader for different reasons.

For example, last gen, all Sonic games sold better on the GC, despite also appearing on the PS2.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 09:39:40 AM »
"Like Capcom making all those Cube games geared toward PS2/Xbox players.

Or Namco putting Baten Kaitos on a system void of RPGs."

Sometimes it makes sense to do something like that so that a game stands out.  Baten Kaitos would have been ignored on the PS2 where RPGs are a dime a dozen.  But Cube fans were RPG starved so the game became a higher profile title.  It got more attention because Cube fans were looking for ANY RPG.

Probably the best example of this kind of thing is Dead Or Alive.  On the Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 it was just another 3D fighting game well below Tekken and Virtua Fighter on the totem pole.  But on the Xbox it was by default the top fighting game on the system and thus became a bigger deal.  Hell it became the big Xbox title in Japan mostly because there was nothing else.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 11:13:24 AM »

So, what do you guys think?

Know what I think?  Poll thread.  Locked.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807