Author Topic: Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Please point out where I stated the Sony wasn't getting anything out of that relationship?

No where, nor did I state that you made such a claim. I was merely talking about the ludicrousness in the statement that: "If it was a right we would all get a press pass for the free games, advance info, and debug units." Again, acting like this was more of a favor and Sony was not benefiting from the relationship with a site with a large reader base (as if everyone were just as qualified) when they clearly are since they had Phil Harrison ready to do a one-on-one interview with them and felt that it was important to patch up their relationship.

Their is plenty of risk in giving out information.  If you can't trust a source to be able to handle the information in a way you deem most beneficial for you, like not releasing it early (Think Wiimote being announced 2 years before Wii release.)  Then you might consider that enough of a liability that even the "free" press that the might be giving you wouldn't be free enough.

What does that have to do with this situation at all, though? I would agree if Kotaku was violating a NDA or something, or Sony gave them this information... but neither is the case. They had a source that was giving them information, a third party source that they trusted enough to state it as a "rumor" on the site. They didn't even know if it was true or not, and still don't, and Sony nailed them for it anyway even though they clearly reported it as being just that: a rumor.

Originally posted by: UncleBob
But really, nothing Sony couldn't get out of just about any gaming site they wanted to give all their freebies out to.

Unless Sony's PR is slipping, I would except them to already have relationships with all of the major gaming sites... wouldn't you? Why settle for some of them, when you could benefit from all of them? Why pick and choose which major outlets you are going to do business with and those that you aren't when the lowest level of exchange can be your press releases and review copies?

In the grand scheme of things, we are talking peanuts here in terms of expenditures versus potential audience size. I find it especially odd how highly some consider press releases here, considering how much ass kissing goes around in the PR industry to even get those accepted by a lot of outlets. Do some people feel the same way about commercials at the stations that get to show those, or is that a different case because companies are actually paying for those spots instead of getting relatively free advertising?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Sony Blackballs/Blacklists Kotaku.com
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »
Sony needs to reread the "dealing with the press" manual, telling them "don't run that story" is the dumbest mistake you can make. Don't tell them what you don't want them to know and if they know something and ask you about it, ALWAYS say "we don't comment on rumors", anything else lets them derive the real answer from your actions (e.g. if you call wrong rumors such but don't comment on true ones).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 01:18:10 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
Unless Sony's PR is slipping, I would except them to already have relationships with all of the major gaming sites... wouldn't you? Why settle for some of them, when you could benefit from all of them? Why pick and choose which major outlets you are going to do business with and those that you aren't when the lowest level of exchange can be your press releases and review copies?

You pick and choose because if you've got a site that constatly posts stuff that you *don't* want fans to read (be it secret information or just constant slams against your company), then you want to avoid having them go to that site.  In theory, if Kotaku stopped getting extras from Sony, their staff (at best) would simply be in a position to stop giving Sony as much coverage as they do or (at worst) they'd constantly slam Sony at every turn.  Either way, (in theory) Sony Fans would slowly stop going to this site because they wouldn't be getting the type of coverage that they want.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 01:24:40 AM »

Originally posted by: Arbok

Please point out where I stated the Sony wasn't getting anything out of that relationship?

No where, nor did I state that you made such a claim. I was merely talking about the ludicrousness in the statement that: "If it was a right we would all get a press pass for the free games, advance info, and debug units." Again, acting like this was more of a favor and Sony was not benefiting from the relationship with a site with a large reader base (as if everyone were just as qualified) when they clearly are since they had Phil Harrison ready to do a one-on-one interview with them and felt that it was important to patch up their relationship.

Their is plenty of risk in giving out information.  If you can't trust a source to be able to handle the information in a way you deem most beneficial for you, like not releasing it early (Think Wiimote being announced 2 years before Wii release.)  Then you might consider that enough of a liability that even the "free" press that the might be giving you wouldn't be free enough.

What does that have to do with this situation at all, though? I would agree if Kotaku was violating a NDA or something, or Sony gave them this information... but neither is the case. They had a source that was giving them information, a third party source that they trusted enough to state it as a "rumor" on the site. They didn't even know if it was true or not, and still don't, and Sony nailed them for it anyway even though they clearly reported it as being just that: a rumor.

Originally posted by: UncleBob
But really, nothing Sony couldn't get out of just about any gaming site they wanted to give all their freebies out to.

In the grand scheme of things, we are talking peanuts here in terms of expenditures versus potential audience size. I find it especially odd how highly some consider press releases here, considering how much ass kissing goes around in the PR industry to even get those accepted by a lot of outlets. Do some people feel the same way about commercials at the stations that get to show those, or is that a different case because companies are actually paying for those spots instead of getting relatively free advertising?

Oh.  Then why didn't you just quote that part?

On the second part it was more toeing the line.  It was the fact that Kotaku asked Sony if they could run the story, at least thats the impression they give.  Sony said they prefer them not to in no uncertian terms and they ran it anyway.  You scratch my back I'll scratch yours.  So Sony is seeing this as not toeing the company line.  Hence why it is easier to ask forgiveness then permission.

If Kotaku never contacted Sony about actually running it just to verify the rumor and posted without hearing what Sony thought about them posting it that be another story.  Don't ask for advice you won't heed.

Yes, as a company since I specificly told them there be ramification if they ran the story I probably would have shifted away one of there exclusive interviews or something.  A threat with no teeth is not much of a threat.  As I said before I do think they did to much initially.  Overreacted.  Though I can't say them doing nothing is really a good action as well.

Thats just my take on information flow.  Especially in this sort of arena.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:06 AM »
You know, I always thought "blackballing" meant punching someone in the balls until they turn black...

Either way, (in theory) Sony Fans would slowly stop going to this site because they wouldn't be getting the type of coverage that they want.

However, a Sony fan would already have made his mind up anyway. What Sony has to worry about is losing the indecisive buyers, those who haven't decided on whether to buy a PS3 yet or maybe even don't think the PS3 is worth their money and need to be convinced of the opposite. Sony is basically handing the readers of Kotaku to the competition by no longer covering them with their propaganda while the competition still reaches them.

If Kotaku never contacted Sony about actually running it just to verify the rumor and posted without hearing what Sony thought about them posting it that be another story. Don't ask for advice you won't heed.

I'd assume they asked Sony for a comment, not approval of the story.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 04:55:43 AM »
kudoz to kotaku for "fighting the power"

Chuck D would be impressed
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 05:30:32 AM »
Sony is writing the book on how to destroy your own marketshare.  Well actually Nintendo did it first but you know how Sony always copies Nintendo.

Seriously though they've just gone insane as of late.  It's like whatever the dumb thing to do in a situation is they'll do it.  What it is with console market leaders?  Their position gets threatened and they go all dictator on us and destory themselves while the competition sweeps in and takes over by merely being competent and looking like a million bucks in comparison.  Atari and Nintendo pretty much brought their own fall upon themselves and now Sony is doing it too.  No one ever seems to learn from the past.