Author Topic: Japanese Virtual Console Line-up Revealed  (Read 9445 times)

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Japanese Virtual Console Line-up Revealed
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2006, 09:08:58 AM »
Link to the Past and several of the Mario games are still being sold on the GBA.  It doesn't surprise me that they are not releasing them right away.  The question is why they are releasing them in Japan.  I find that a bit strange.  Maybe the GBA games are still selling decently in the US but not in Japan.  That would make the decision more logical.  It does explain why Yoshi's Island is not on there, since it was the most recent remake released.  The real question in my mind is where Super Metroid is.  It was never remade or ported to any other system, yet was one of the more popular SNES titles.  My only thought is that they might be saving it as a promotion for Metroid Prime 3, maybe a free download or unlockable or something.  Same with the original Metroid (although this was released on the GBA, as were the NES Zeldas, so that could also be a reason).  Actually, they might do a similar thing with Twilight Princess, although that still wouldn't explain Japan.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline ssj4_android

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2006, 11:56:18 AM »
Why don't they put all of their games on the download service right from launch? Do they suck at making emulators or something? One N64 game is just pathetic.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Japanese Virtual Console Line-up Revealed
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 12:51:14 PM »

Originally posted by: TheBlackCat
The real question in my mind is where Super Metroid is.  It was never remade or ported to any other system, yet was one of the more popular SNES titles.  My only thought is that they might be saving it as a promotion for Metroid Prime 3, maybe a free download or unlockable or something.

Maybe they're remaking it for the DS like they did with Metroid Zero Mission on the GBA. O:
Except probably not.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 01:02:33 PM »
"Maybe they're remaking it for the DS like they did with Metroid Zero Mission on the GBA. O:
Except probably not."

What need is there to remake Super Metroid.  Metroid was dated as hell.  Super Metroid holds up so well it could have been released on the DS yesterday.  Metroid II is the one in need of the Zero Mission treatment.  It doesn't matter anyway because a remake of Super Metroid isn't the same as the original Super Metroid which should be available to buy.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 01:05:52 PM »
Why buy the original when a better version is available?  Or, why get the remake if you can get the original so much cheaper.  That they could potentially compete was my point.

Super Metroid definitely stands the test of time much better than the original, but it could still have some stuff added.  Regardless, I really just want more 2D Metroid. ):  
GOREGASM!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 01:42:43 PM »
"Why buy the original when a better version is available? Or, why get the remake if you can get the original so much cheaper. That they could potentially compete was my point."

Because different people want different things and probably a good chunk of people would buy both.

And "better version"?  HA!  I haven't seen Nintendo re-release a better version of a SNES game yet.  Following their usual trend they would add irritating voices and dumb the difficult down.  In Super Metroid's case they would probably remove any sequence breaking and have a hint system that would tell you exactly where to go.  There's always need for the original version because honestly I don't trust the current game industry to do justice to any classic 2D game.  Too many bad habits have been introduced since the Playstation took over.

I want more 2D Metroid but I want a NEW game.  Never settle for remakes in place of new content.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
You're missing the point.  Hardcore Metroid fans know what they want.  For everyone else, there's the perception of "old and busted" vs. "new hotness."  And anyway I wasn't saying that that was the case, just throwing a possibility out there.

Whether or not making changes like you suggest would make the game inferior is really subjective.

I never said I wanted a remake.  But a Super Metroid remake would be better than a Metroid Prime Hunters 2, especially if it was as thorough as Zero Mission, which was a completely unique experience from the original.
GOREGASM!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 02:03:08 PM »
"I never said I wanted a remake. But a Super Metroid remake would be better than a Metroid Prime Hunters 2, especially if it was as thorough as Zero Mission, which was a completely unique experience from the original."

Well okay.  THAT I agree with.  New Super Metroid is better than FPS For Jerks That Don't Like Metroid Prime 2.

And while hardcore Metroid fans know what they want the truth I figure the VC is probably going to be used mostly by hardcore gamers.  Most people I meet think games from last year are dated.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 03:43:07 PM »

Originally posted by: joedick

Originally posted by: Ceric
Yep this is counter acting the good points that NoA got from the Walmart guides.  So there back deeper in the hole with me.  (Mostly because I want Super Castlevania and Gunstar Hero)

We are getting gunstar heroes....

I just missed it I guess.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
And while hardcore Metroid fans know what they want the truth I figure the VC is probably going to be used mostly by hardcore gamers.

You're right, that's a good point.
GOREGASM!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2006, 05:42:55 PM »
That and budget conscious people looking for anything good for their kids.  Parents I've talked to seem to like the idea that they can get one machine that will have the old Sonic and Mario games for ten dollars or less.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
I agree with the need of a Metroid 2 remake, and super metroid doesn't need a remake, is perfect. Seriously, I can't see any way to improve on it, adding anything to that game will do little, the game has the perfect length, the perfect music and the perfect gameplay. All I can see them doing for it would be making superficial enhancements, in the graphics with some more detailed effects and some improved midi over the original, but adding anything else would probably just ruin the game.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2006, 08:31:07 PM »
If they DO enhance Super Metroid, I would like the following things done:

a) Make it easier to wall jump
b) Allow you to continue space jumping after you get hit, or if you walk/jump off an edge without flipping first
c) Make it so that doing charged speed attacks (ie. the dash and the super jump) no longer drains your health.

All three of these were in Zero Mission, so I would hope that they do it for any enhancements to Super Metroid.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2006, 08:46:30 PM »
NO ENHANCEMENTS!

argh. evar.

Egads Nintendo, get Squeenix to release Dragon Warrior I and I WILL buy it!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Blue Plant

• View Profile
    • My site.
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:30 PM »
I wonder if the VC has the potential to revive a series like DVD has with some shows, if enough people buy them.  And yes, excellent list of games for them.  Here's hoping we catch up soon.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:12 AM »
I think it has a bigger potential of doing something like that then DVD really normally does.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.