Author Topic: EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?  (Read 21941 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother

Originally posted by: couchmonkey We were lucky if they didn't break on the way home!

Given its tendency to overheat, the PS3 can only be aided by the cold.

Like Supercomputers in SPACE....
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »
I don't recall GC getting hyped up as the big holiday "gift", so I think they are two completely different situations, not to mention that the GC never tried to attract "non-gamers" either. So once again I will laugh at all who can't get one on launch day because they were not willing to tough it out in line.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2006, 03:09:58 PM »

Originally posted by: ssj4_android
Has Best Buy begun Wii preorders yet? Will they be taking them? I'm sure I could just go into Meijer the first day and pick one up if I wanted to.

Best Buy isn't the type of retailer that does pre-orders.  They'll put whatever they get in for launch on the shelves, and then it's first come, first serve.

That's how I plan on getting mine!
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale Anyone who didn't get a preorder, don't even worry about it.  You will be fine on launch day.  We will have all sorts of coverage as to what stores are doing what.  There will most likely be stories of stores releasing things early.  It will be fun and chaotic.  You will be glad you didn't miss out.

You think the preorderers won't be right here as well? :P
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »
If I can't find a Wii on launch day, I'm holding the PGC staff responsible

Offline g4everX8

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2006, 04:02:54 PM »
I went to gamestop at 9:45 today, was 6th in line. Had to wait for 30 minutes. About 30-40 people got sent home. Similar stories at all the gamestops around town.

I'm terribly bummed that I will have to camp out for the PS3, I missed out on the knowledge of the pre-order for it.

Just an insite. The Wii will NOT, repeat NOT!! sell out immedietly. There will be pleanty in stores the day it launches. I waited in line for the gamecube, come to see there were cubes in stores most of the day.

PS3 on the other hand...lol. Look at the $2,000 dollar pre-orders for sale on eBay.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2006, 04:34:16 PM »
I went down to GameStop at 8:00 this morning and was 10th in line.  There were a few guys that came before midnight and slept there with sleeping bags and a rug they used for a mat.  By the time the store opened, there were more than thirty people in line.

The manager came out about fifteen minutes before opening and announced how things would work.  There were 20 preorders available (versus the 14 that store had for PS3). She went down the line and took people's names and phone numbers to avoid any conflicts over people skipping.  She also gave us lists of all the games and accessories available for preorder.  WarioWare was listed as 01/15/07 - hope that comes true!

They were taking controller reservations too (along with SD cards, Wii points cards,etc.) and said that nunchuk controllers will be limited.  They didn't stop me from ordering a full set though.  I'm picking up the system, three remotes, three nunchuks, and one classic controller.  My game choices may change by launch, so I'll just pick those up then.

When she opened up, she gave the list of names to the cashiers and they only let people in to the store as a cashier became available.  Since each controller had to be counted separately they had to split my preorder up into two tickets.  They asked whether I wanted a warranty, but didn't try to sell me on it.  I think they rather just wanted the whole ordeal over with.

One thing I was happy to hear is that the preorder ensures your spot in line on launch day. So the major duration of my camping out (a measly 2 hours) is over. I don't know if they'll open at midnight or not, but as Smash Bro said, I'm more than happy that I can just arrive right before the store opens instead of calling and running around town or waiting in a longer line after the awareness increases 10-fold.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2006, 04:46:58 PM »

Originally posted by: g4everX8 Just an insite. The Wii will NOT, repeat NOT!! sell out immedietly. There will be pleanty in stores the day it launches. I waited in line for the gamecube, come to see there were cubes in stores most of the day.

PS3 on the other hand...lol. Look at the $2,000 dollar pre-orders for sale on eBay.

Let's wait and see what happens after the Wii commercials start rolling before we decide what the Wii will or won't do at launch.

As for the PS3, these are the initial hardcores trying to get one early, believing that they won't have the chance to get one for a while.

The Wii has only seen the very, very beginning of its rise to popularity, and it already attracted more impressive numbers than the PS3 which people SHOULD be FAR more anxious to reserve because the PS3 is slated to be far harder to come by.

The way I see it, I ain't throwing down any bets on what will happen when these two launch.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth One thing I was happy to hear is that the preorder ensures your spot in line on launch day. So the major duration of my camping out (a measly 2 hours) is over. I don't know if they'll open at midnight or not, but as Smash Bro said, I'm more than happy that I can just arrive right before the store opens instead of calling and running around town or waiting in a longer line after the awareness increases 10-fold.

I'm willing to bet they'll do a midnight launch. There's no reason for them NOT to unless the manager older than dirt.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2006, 05:29:37 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

Originally posted by: ssj4_android
Has Best Buy begun Wii preorders yet? Will they be taking them? I'm sure I could just go into Meijer the first day and pick one up if I wanted to.

Best Buy isn't the type of retailer that does pre-orders.  They'll put whatever they get in for launch on the shelves, and then it's first come, first serve.

They uses to do preorders, on games at least. It's how I got Halo 2. I'm not sure if they still do that, though.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2006, 06:04:17 PM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

Same. Toys R' Us is the best place around here to get stuff on day one, and it has served me well for both the DS and GCN.

I can't understand this new trend though of lining up for a pre-order... I mean, I assume these are the type of people who are also going to want to get theres as soon as possible when the store opens at launch... so why wait twice? Why not just do "line duty" on opening day and be done with it?

EDIT: Also, just to mention, the PS3 pre-order frenzy got covered on my local morning radio station, with people also calling in to give their stories on what happend... still amazes me that the price tag does not seem to be out right killing the launch hype for it. The host of the show even stated "$100 to secure yourself a PS3, is not that much". *sigh*
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »

Originally posted by: g4everX8 Just an insite. The Wii will NOT, repeat NOT!! sell out immedietly. There will be pleanty in stores the day it launches. I waited in line for the gamecube, come to see there were cubes in stores most of the day.

Let's wait and see what happens after the Wii commercials start rolling before we decide what the Wii will or won't do at launch.

As for the PS3, these are the initial hardcores trying to get one early, believing that they won't have the chance to get one for a while.

The Wii has only seen the very, very beginning of its rise to popularity, and it already attracted more impressive numbers than the PS3 which people SHOULD be FAR more anxious to reserve because the PS3 is slated to be far harder to come by.

The way I see it, I ain't throwing down any bets on what will happen when these two launch.

I agree with Smash that is why I think it is kind of presumptuous and a bit risky to blatantly say that Wii will be available for "Walk in and pick it up" on launch day. If you give people potential false hope that they will be able to get it on launch day without camping there is a chance they could come away super dissapointed regretting they did not camp out. That is why I am taking a safe than sorry approach and think everyone who wants the Wii should consider it as well. When I see that Toys R Us is ranking it as the hot holiday item, I can't help but think Tickle Me Elmo.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2006, 07:25:14 PM »

They were taking controller reservations too (along with SD cards, Wii points cards,etc.) and said that nunchuk controllers will be limited.
I wonder why? They can't be too hard to produce..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2006, 08:04:05 PM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution When I see that Toys R Us is ranking it as the hot holiday item, I can't help but think Tickle Me Elmo.

I think what we're in right now is likely the quiet before the storm, that being when the Wii starts being advertised on the mainstream.

Remember, this isn't just cartoon network which we can expect to have Wii ads: expect to see them EVERYWHERE when they start running because Nintendo's audience is, in theory, everyone.

Also, TRU will reserve games but not systems and yes, controllers were reservable as well.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2006, 11:16:03 PM »
You guys are being too fanboy-optimistic.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2006, 11:46:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
You guys are being too fanboy-optimistic.

Or not being overly optimistic that you will find a Wii if you don't stay in line. It is not "fanboyism" to realize that Wii has potential to be a hot commodity like ANY new game system, compounded by the fact that stores are already pushing it as the hot christmas item, namely Toys R us. I could care less what GameCube did, the Wii is a different ball game, as is every next generation system, maybe even more so for the Wii because of its "uniqueness" that could either kill it or make it soar along with a whole new marketing approach from Nintendo.

It is flat out naive to tell people to expect to be able to get a Wii on launch day by walking in, because there is no way to know that! I can understand saying there is a decent chance for that situation to occur because of a large shipment (disregarding the fact that it hasn't been confirmed), but to basically speak of it as virtual fact is where I draw the line. That is being overly optimistic in the other direction.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2006, 03:49:45 AM »

Just remember to keep an eye out when you go pick it up.

The site won't load, but I assume you mean people jumping each other for popular xmas items.

If someone can deprive me of my Wii within the 30 feet from where my car will be parked to the Gamestop door, then they're either lightning quick or 7' tall and 300 lbs.

HAHAHA... if it were only people trampling each other.  No, this was a Tampa Bay man getting held up at *gunpoint* for a new TMX Elmo doll.  I think it happened in or just outside the store.

Link in std txt: http://www.tampabays10.com/news/specials/popular/article.aspx?s=popular&storyid=40193

(Maybe not even a gun... ugh )

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2006, 08:30:41 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan You guys are being too fanboy-optimistic.

Really now?

So the GC was the ONLY CONSOLE on CNN's list of must-have holiday toys?

And the GC was at the top of TRU's list of hot holiday toys?

And was the GC speculated by analysts as being the potential most popular console of all time?

Originally posted by: SheckyHAHAHA... if it were only people trampling each other.  No, this was a Tampa Bay man getting held up at *gunpoint* for a new TMX Elmo doll.  I think it happened in or just outside the store.

Ah, wow, that IS bad...  

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2006, 09:12:21 PM »
I hate to be too cynical about your attitude, and only time will tell, but you have to really put a lot of faith in those lists to think that it will cause the largest game console launch ever to be that big of a disaster.

But hey, Smash Bro, if I don't have a Wii on launch day and can't review games for the site, then I'll buy you lunch.

BTW, why haven't you entered the Naruto contest?
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan I hate to be too cynical about your attitude, and only time will tell, but you have to really put a lot of faith in those lists to think that it will cause the largest game console launch ever to be that big of a disaster.

I'm just gauging the reaction based on what I'm seeing and hearing. I mean, have you EVER seen prehype for a Nintendo product like this, at least since the days of SMB3, even BEFORE there was any televised advertising involved?

I'm not gonna say it'll explode, but I do think that all bets are off. If any console does have the potential to do what people are anticipating it to do, it's the Wii.

But hey, Smash Bro, if I don't have a Wii on launch day and can't review games for the site, then I'll buy you lunch.

I'd prefer you get a Wii, actually.

BTW, why haven't you entered the Naruto contest?

I thought it was a year before you could enter a contest again after winning one...

Also, I'm just not a Naruto fan, really.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2006, 10:20:49 PM »
Care not for Naruto and podcasts.

Care for official Daisy artwerk.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Svevan

• View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:55 PM »
Do you care about Seaman for DC (w/ mic)? Cause I do, and I'm giving it away, sadly.
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »
I take it that's a "no" to the "wait one year after winning a contest" question, right?

Sure, I'll enter, but expect it to be something immensely bizarre.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2006, 12:00:52 AM »

Umm, what?

Last I remember, the 360 suffered shortages all over the place and wasn't even that popular at launch.

Sorry, I meant, worked for ME. I did walk into a store and saw a pile of 360s sitting around with noone around on launch day. Had I wanted to I could have bought a 360 on launch day with no prior reservation or camping out. Now I regret that I didn't do that and profit from eBaying it.

I just don't think it's worth all this hassle to buy a console on launch day. A few days later when you've finished the one or two decent games that are available you're left waiting for more and doing nothing with your x00$ purchase. I learned that the hard way with the DS.  

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2006, 09:16:44 AM »
KDR you must live around an area that isn't too populated, everywhere here was sold out of 360s right after launch. One thing I wonder, how many Tickle Me Elmos were made? If a gift is super popular unless you release millions of them (Even at 250$ it still is a good christmas gift price) they will sell out, now will Wii be that popular? I don't know, but I do know this is new territory for Nintendo and gamning alike, so I'm not going to say anything in regards to shortages or non-shortages except that I think it would be wise to be safe than sorry.