Author Topic: EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?  (Read 21940 times)

Offline davidctaylor

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 07:30:07 AM »
"The reason is simple, Wal-Mart operates at most one store per town while Gamestop sometimes has 2-3 per city. "

Huh?  There are *THREE* Wal-Marts in my town of 100,000 people.  All are within 10 minute drives of each other.
David Taylor
* First there was Pong.
* Then Intellivision.
* Next came my Commodore 64.
* I loved Super Mario on my old NES.
* I really liked my PS1 too.
* Ahh, but my GameCube and DS Lite rock.
* --spot reserved for Wii comment--

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 08:12:18 AM »
I went to my local GameStop this morning, and checked out the digs.  Apparently there were 14 available to hand out, and the first in line was there at around 4:00am.  The thing that surprised me the most about most of the people in line was how many of them weren't the typical "hardcore" type you would expect to be waiting for hours just to get a pre-order.

To quote the guy at the front of the line, he wanted to pre-order a Wii and was willing to wait in line for 6+ hours because "it sounded like it will be cool."
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Acefondu

• View Profile
RE:EB Games Wii Pre-Orders - Extremely Limited Quantities?
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 08:15:30 AM »
I hate gamestop so much. I've been a Best Buy customer for a long time now and am glad, GLAD says I. They're just afraid they'll over-pre-order like they did with the 360, that's all this is.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 08:17:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
The PS3 didn't have this many people lining up for it

Didn't seem that the PS3 was as heavliy advertised.  Heck I heard news about the Wii preorders on various local and web news outlets.

I expect to see even more increase in demand for this thing once Nintendo rolls out its actual ad campaign and I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if it gets pushed into "Furby" or "Tickle Me Elmo" status this xmas.

Just remember to keep an eye out when you go pick it up.  No telling what kind of nuts are out there.

My advice: better safe than sorry.

Even if the Wii doesn't skyrocket in popularity, I'll still have it in a convenient bag I can immediately walk out with and little to no line to worry about and that's worth preordering in my mind anyway.

That said, I'm sure you'll get one during Nov, even if the launch shipment sells out.

Agreed

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 08:28:07 AM »
Welp, I guess I'm waiting till Launch. By the time I got to Gamestop there were 20 people waiting in line.

I think I will try Shopko and Fred Meyer on launch day if I don't find a midnight launch. I figure people will think of those places for Wii last.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 08:53:54 AM »
Well maybe I will stick around my local Walmart and such at Wii launch and laugh at all the people who thought they could walk in with no problem getting a system .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 09:00:06 AM »
I showed at EBGames up around 10:20 (they opened at 10). I had to wait about 7 minutes in line, I was the 33rd pre-order of the day out of a total of 36. Pretty close.

-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Kosto

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 09:07:55 AM »
My EB had 17 preorders to the public and 2-3 for employees. I was number 9. I got there at 8 am.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 09:08:12 AM »
I showed up at 9:45 and was #12 in line.  A couple minutes later a store employee came out and told everyone that he only had 12 units for preorder.  I was happy.  I felt bad for the guy who showed up two minutes after I did.

I was actually really happy with my experience.  There were no forced bundles and the employees didn't even try to pressure me into buying anything I didn't ask for.  The guy who rang me up asked if I wanted to purchase the warranty for $30.  I said "no, thank you" and that was the end of that.  This might be like my second pleasant experience with EB Games ever.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 09:14:25 AM »

Originally posted by: Shecky Didn't seem that the PS3 was as heavliy advertised.  Heck I heard news about the Wii preorders on various local and web news outlets.

Yeah, but was that Nintendo's money which got the news on those sites, or just interest in the system?

Just remember to keep an eye out when you go pick it up.

The site won't load, but I assume you mean people jumping each other for popular xmas items.

If someone can deprive me of my Wii within the 30 feet from where my car will be parked to the Gamestop door, then they're either lightning quick or 7' tall and 300 lbs.

Agreed

To be honest, I'd be willing to pay extra just to have someone who is keeping all of the items I want together in one bag ready when I show up to claim them. I just relish quick transactions, especially when I want nothing more than to go home and pull out my Wii.

And yeah, there was no talk of bundles, preorders, nothing. They mentioned the warranty as well, but they've always done that with every system and Nintendo's customer service, last I checked, is still the best.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 09:16:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
...and warranty plans for systems they don't own yet.

Yup, tried to sell me a warranty on my...I guess in case my receipt has text read errors.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale I just think camping out to avoid camping out is silly.  

You don't live in a frozen hell-hole.

Waiting in line during an Oct. morning in NH is a kindness compared to waiting in line during a November midnight.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Cyrian

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 10:57:28 AM »

Originally posted by: davidctaylor
GOOD *GOD* EBGAMES SUCKS!

*cut stuff about coupon craziness*

You're right, they were *not* supposed to do that. Games are Fun has a copy of a corporate email sent out here, and it says very specifically that they weren't supposed to do anything like that. You got jacked.  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 11:22:49 AM »
It's awful they wouldn't GIVE ME PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT FOR PRE-ORDERING 6 GAMES AHEAD OF TIME.

What the hell is wrong with them.  What happened to capitalism?
I BRING THEM MY BUSINESS, DAMMIT

SERVE ME FOR I BUY LOTS OF STUFF
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 11:33:42 AM »
About my above numbers.  It was if everything was even plus there was what 10,584 Wiis that where undistributed?  That could surely bolster some ranks.  Though some of those numbers are surprising, like there are more Gamestops/EB's then Walmarts.

I pre-ordered my Wii from Sam Goodies September 23 to make sure I had one.  I thought about doing it at Gamecrazy or EB to make sure but I'm not going to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 12:00:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Pale I just think camping out to avoid camping out is silly.  

Waiting in line during an Oct. morning in NH is a kindness compared to waiting in line during a November midnight.

Hahah, oh boy...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/10/13/ny.snow.ap/index.html
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »
I was held back getting to my local gamestop and they were already done. It seems that most stores in South-Eastern Wiscons sold out in 30 minutes.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 12:57:08 PM »

Originally posted by: PaleHahah, oh boy...

Well, I'm f*cked.

If that storm just hit NY, it means NH is next...  

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 12:58:53 PM »
Has Best Buy begun Wii preorders yet? Will they be taking them? I'm sure I could just go into Meijer the first day and pick one up if I wanted to.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2006, 01:04:10 PM »

Originally posted by: PaleHahah, oh boy...

Well, I'm f*cked.

If that storm just hit NY, it means NH is next...

It was lake effect off of Lake Erie, not necessarily a storm.  You should be getting lots of cold air, but that's about it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »
In my day we walked 2 miles through -30 degree weather for our consoles and we liked it.  We were lucky if they didn't break on the way home!
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2006, 02:32:15 PM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey We were lucky if they didn't break on the way home!

Given its tendency to overheat, the PS3 can only be aided by the cold.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2006, 02:57:50 PM »

::remembers waiting in line for the big second shipment of Xbox 360's in december at Best Buy during 14 degree weather for 15 hrs::  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »
I stopped at my nearest EB on the way home from work today.  I figured I'd check for a game I might like, then casually ask how things went this morning.  (Oddly, this was perhaps my third time in there ever, and there's always a different group of people working there.  The guys behind the counter were talking about how quickly people tend to move up to management positions.  I'm guessing after that they quickly leave, if they can keep that up.)

The scoop:
They had 12 preorders.  They were taken within a half hour of opening.  The guy I spoke to said that when he drove by in the morning, there were only two people waiting.  That's not as fast as some places, but still not what I expected from this town.  It does make me think that it'll be possible to find a Wii here on launch day, though.  The excitement level wasn't quite as high as some places, but the "supply" was still decent.

Interestingly, the PS3 preorders went about the same, except they had 8 of those.  He said that the small supply probably did some of the people they had to turn away a favor since they probably shouldn't be spending that kind of money.  It is to laugh.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2006, 03:02:41 PM »
See I already know what the problem is.  Everyone is comparing this launch to Microsoft and Sony's history and not thinking about Cube launch or the fact that there will be even more Wiis.  Don't let the current state of the Cube fool you... back at launch there were just as many people (if not more) lining up for it as there were the original X-Box.

Anyone who got a preorder, congrats.

Anyone who didn't get a preorder, don't even worry about it.  You will be fine on launch day.  We will have all sorts of coverage as to what stores are doing what.  There will most likely be stories of stores releasing things early.  It will be fun and chaotic.  You will be glad you didn't miss out.
---------------------